J.D. Robb discussion

Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Morrigan's Cross
Archives > May Book Discussion - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10198 comments Mod
Morrigan's Cross is the winner of our May Book of the Month Poll. It is the first of a trilogy.

Number-one New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts delivers an extraordinary new trilogy—an epic tale that breaks down the boundaries between reality and the otherworldly, while forging together the passions of the men and women caught in a battle for the fate of humanity ...

In the last days of high summer, with lightning striking blue in a black sky, the sorcerer stood on a high cliff overlooking the raging sea...

Belting out his grief into the storm, Hoyt Mac Cionaoith rails against the evil that has torn his twin brother from their family's embrace. Her name is Lilith. Existing for over a thousand years, she has lured countless men to an immortal doom with her soul-stealing kiss. But now, this woman known as vampire will stop at nothing until she rules this world—and those beyond it...

Hoyt is no match for the dark siren. But his powers come from the goddess Morrigan, and it is through her that he will get his chance at vengeance. At Morrigan's charge, he must gather five others to form a ring of power strong enough to overcome Lilith. A circle of six: himself, the witch, the warrior, the scholar, the one of many forms and the one he's lost. And it is in this circle, hundreds of years in the future, where Hoyt will learn how strong his spirit—and his heart—have become.

Dawn | 3237 comments I think I will have join this one Sandra, after all that conversation about these books we had

I just finished a reread of Morrigan's Cross to refresh my memory, Dawn. I had forgotten that so much goes on in this one. I read most of Nora's books years ago. I loved it but you have to read all 3 books to get the final "solution" to the whole scenario. This one is a good mix of vampire, witch, sorcerer, humans and a good story, I think. I'll enjoy discussing it with everyone.

Dawn | 3237 comments Oh yea, because I have such a problem getting into trilogies and series right? Lol

Randi | 93 comments I'm excited about this book, it will be my first Nora Roberts book and I love PNR.

LOL Dawn...I think you can handle it! :)

Wow Randi! Your first Nora! I don't consider her pnr her "typical" books. I read all her "normal" romance books first before starting on her pnr books. I'm a huge fan of both genres so it's a good mix for me. Hope you enjoy it!

Michelle | 2269 comments I read this years ago. I'll try to join the discussion.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12955 comments Mod
I read this about two years ago and am looking forward to the discussion. It will be GREAT if all of you voting for this selection also participate. We'd love to hear from you.

Rosa Hope (RosaHope) | 28 comments One of my favorite characters of all time is in this trilogy... I am so excited!

message 10: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments This is currently a pretty decent Whispersync deal in case anyone has it on Kindle, the audio is only $3.99

Maggie | 1449 comments Love this series :)

I loved it too. Actually much better than some of her other pnr selections. This one has a very "real" feel to it for me. Even with the time periods, etc. Also a good love story. Now I want to reread the other 2, of course.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Looking forward to it!

message 14: by Read (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read (lchatter) | 5 comments This is one of my favorite series of all time! The audio is very well done. One of Nora's best series. Enjoy!

I read it but would have loved to hear the audio! Maybe next time.

Nicky (nickym96) | 12 comments I already read this, but I'll have to reread to refresh my memory for the discussion.

That's what I did, Nicky! It was fun rereading this one.

message 18: by Dee (last edited May 02, 2014 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments This is a book I have a tendency to reread every so often. I usually reread the last book, Valley of Silence over and over, but every so often...

Right now I am listening to Seduction, and reading two BOM for my group that I moderate. When I am done with those I will start on Morrigan's Cross

I really enjoyed rereading this one. It had been a really long time since I read it & the other 2 books of the trilogy. Of course, it all comes back to you as you begin rereading but it just reminded me how much I liked this series. Now I want to reread the next 2 but just don't have time right now.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Never read this trilogy, about to start.

Hope you enjoy it, Lisa.

message 22: by Lynne (last edited May 03, 2014 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynne Davis | 428 comments I want to read this one, need to finish The Highlander Series 3-Book Bundle (McCabe Trilogy, #1-3) by Maya Banks Also picked up Lover Awakened from the library - I love having lots of good books to read!

Randi | 93 comments Will the discussion be in this thread, and when will it start? I still have to finish Portrait in Death and then I'll read Morrigan's Cross.

Yes, the discussion will be in this thread. We'll make it a "spoiler zone" after everyone has a chance to read the book and are ready to discuss.

Randi | 93 comments Great, thanks Sandra, I'm really looking forward to this discussion.

Me too! :) Chime in when you've read it everyone.

message 27: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I've been listening to it while on my 1000 mike trek to Oregon. I like the story, but have to admit I may have to read it in print when I stop traveling. I am certain I have spaced out on some of the book. I started pausing today when I found my mind wandering. I can say ghost I like the narration. But really not so sure about his female voices. They are a little too breathy for me.

There was a lot of "stuff" in this book. I can't imagine listening to this one. I did a lot of highlighting. And I will have to say that I've found that my mind wanders more with audios than reading. Even if it's a good book, I have to make myself keep my mind in it while listening - that seldom happens to me when reading.

message 29: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I have finished with Seduction and am starting listening to this book. Since I am also reading Don't Tell by Karen Rose I find I have to listen to Morrigan's Cross at night. K.R. is too violent for me to sleep good, this is an pleasant read for me. I guess for me M. C. is to unrealistic for it to impact my brain at night.

Lol! That's the whole point of fantasy I guess.

message 31: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Well, I finished the listen and will try to actually read it next week. But it did leave me wanting more, so now I am listening to Dance of the Gods for the rest of my trek to Oregon.

That's great, Dawn. I want to reread the next 2 of the trilogy as soon as I can work them in.

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments It is kind weird for me to bounce back and forth between this and Lover at Last. I don't know how you guys do it...

Dawn, it's hard for me when it's the same genre. I'm listening to Voyager but had to sort of set it aside while reading The Raider, both being Scottish historicals. I was thinking with an accent!

message 35: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 06, 2014 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Randi wrote: "Will the discussion be in this thread, and when will it start? I still have to finish Portrait in Death and then I'll read Morrigan's Cross."

I just finished Portrait the day before yesterday! :)

Morrigan's Cross was my first Nora Roberts book. My mom recommended the series to me back during the vampire craze (TWILIGHT)... I thought her writing style was strange... Especially during all the set-up at the beginning of this book. But now that I've read all the In Death books and some of her other books, I don't find it as weird. It's still very... ummm... stylized? Like Nora has shifted into her paranormal voice.

That being said, I really liked this book. It's my mom's favorite of the trilogy. I think I like Dance of the Gods the best. But I do love me some Glenna and Hoyt!!!! :) They're sooooo great together! They're kind of, what I'm learning is, the classic Nora romance couple: he's all broody and serious and alpha, and she's the sweet, nurturing, in-tune-with-her-feelings, earthy type. It was a good start to the series... the "easiest" of the three romances, especially since this is the book where they have to gather and get to know all 6 of the circle, plus getting to know the situation and bad guy... errr... girl. Or girls.

I agree about Glenna & Hoyt - great couple! Just the right about of conflict, obstacles to overcome to be together. Very tough, dedicated couple. I was glad they (view spoiler) in this one.

I loved both of these characters, too. Ditto to your spoiler, Sandra.

Definitely! I was so happy that wasn't strung out into the next book.

How's everyone doing with getting this one read? We'll make this a spoiler thread when you all are ready.

Rosa Hope (RosaHope) | 28 comments Finished this one and am starting on the next!

message 40: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Lol Jonetta...that would be traumatizing. I think that is my problem though, they are both about vampires, although no where near the same type of book. But I find myself struggling to read at night, so now that my trek is over and I have finished Morrigan's Cross, I might break from the second book until I finish Lover at Last. I need to get to that epilogue!

message 41: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 06, 2014 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Sandra wrote: "I agree about Glenna & Hoyt - great couple! Just the right about of conflict, obstacles to overcome to be together. Very tough, dedicated couple. I was glad they [spoilers removed] in this one."

I'm definitely glad that happened, too! One of the most fun (FUNNEST should be a word) parts of the book was how she used her magic to (view spoiler)!

Lynne Davis | 428 comments Will finish Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward (love it) and will start Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Thursday. Looking forward!

That's great, Lynne!

Sara ♥ wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I agree about Glenna & Hoyt - great couple! Just the right about of conflict, obstacles to overcome to be together. Very tough, dedicated couple. I was glad they [spoilers removed..."

Oh I know, Sara. I loved that scene. Wouldn't it be a hoot if you could really shop that way??

Randi | 93 comments I started this today, am almost a third through it and really loving it.

message 46: by Vera (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vera Maslow | 446 comments I will be starting this one today.

Lynne Davis | 428 comments Finished Morrigan's Cross - loved it.

Randi | 93 comments Yay Lynne! I just finished Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts last night and it was great! Now I will have to read the second book, already have it on my Kindle and ready to read.

This is one of my favorite NR pnr books/series. I really like the way this one delivers a story with suspense, action, and romance with a mixture of mythical, other-worldly characters and makes me believe this could be real. And with time travel too!

Randi | 93 comments I had no idea the story was this involved, I thought it was (view spoiler) I am loving it!

« previous 1 3