YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Roomies
This topic is about Roomies
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando - Starts 5 May

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tessa | 1951 comments Description: It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate."

Me and clare are reading this book. Feel free to join us. :)

clare hash (clarehash) yay pretty excited for this one!

Tessa | 1951 comments Same, I love this author's work. They have a spark of real life in time. :)

Sapir | 329 comments OMG I loved this one :)
I hope you girls enjoy it too!!!

clare hash (clarehash) thank you so much! we will see soon ahha

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited May 03, 2014 06:31PM) (new)

This looks like a really fun read! Can I join?

clare hash (clarehash) sure you can!

message 8: by Tessa (last edited May 04, 2014 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments 40% in

OMG, I'm so sorry. I just wanted to look at the story a little and decided to read the first few chapters, but then I literally could not put this book down. The story is super cute! Also, not the boring story about college that I was expecting. Actually, that's a lie, it's written by Sara Zarr, of course it's not going to be boring. When it comes to YA slice of life she and Melina Marchetta take the cake. After I started this I immediately thought of Fangirl, That book was a father unpleasant experience about a roomie story :( .

Anyway, I'm 40% in and I'm loving it so far. here are a few thoughts
(view spoiler)

P.S.: Clare and Natasha, feel free to read at your own pace. I will still come here to comment and discuss this with you even though I'll probably finish reading this book tomorrow.

It's been so long since I've read a book this goo! Will have nice dreams tonight XD.

clare hash (clarehash) it's okay Tessa, I'll begin tomorrow I guess, so I hope we will be able to talk about it soon! I can't wait because you say it is such a good read, uhhh, you make me impatient!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

So I'm guessing we don't have a set number of chapters each day? Should I start reading? I'm excited already by the way your hyping about it Tessa! (:

clare hash (clarehash) yes go for it and I'll catch up

message 12: by Tessa (last edited May 05, 2014 02:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments 80% in
(view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, I'm done with this. Best YA I've read for a while :) .

(view spoiler)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

50%

(view spoiler)

So far this book is SO incredibly hard to put down and I reckon I'll finish it by tonight.

clare hash (clarehash) I'm only 28% throught the book, idk why it takes me ages, ugh, I'm reading and I love the characters but I find it slow...

Tessa | 1951 comments clare wrote: "I'm only 28% throught the book, idk why it takes me ages, ugh, I'm reading and I love the characters but I find it slow..."
It is a slice of life so maybe that's why. I was listening to the audiobook, maybe that's why it was easier for me.

Glad you're enjoying it Natasha. I also think they are adorable XD (view spoiler)

clare hash (clarehash) I read a little this afternoon, (notmuch shame on me) and I'm 35%. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Tessa (last edited May 07, 2014 02:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments clare wrote: "I read a little this afternoon, (notmuch shame on me) and I'm 35%. [spoilers removed]"

Don't sweet it. Everyone has their own pace while reading, not to mention life. I kinda missed a deadline in order to finish Roomie [so ashamed *runs away*].

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

100%

(view spoiler)

Tessa, do you write reviews on the books you read?

Tessa | 1951 comments Natasha ♕ wrote: "100%

[spoilers removed]

Tessa, do you write reviews on the books you read?"

Yes, I do, but I need to motivate myself to do so. Writing pertinent reviews is so hard. :(

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Tessa wrote: "Natasha ♕ wrote: "100%

[spoilers removed]

Tessa, do you write reviews on the books you read?"
Yes, I do, but I need to motivate myself to do so. Writing pertinent reviews is so hard. :("

So True.