Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Book blurb for m/m erotic romance

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Varian (new)

Varian Krylov (variankrylov) | 12 comments I would greatly appreciate some input on my book blurb for my gay erotic romance novel, "Dangerously Happy":

Martin has always wanted to make music. But playing it safe has kept him in a boring job and a mediocre band.

Martin has always been straight. But then he is seduced by magnetic local literary luminary, Dario.

Now Martin must decide whether to keep playing it safe, or whether to succumb to a ravenous passion and a nourishing love unlike anything he's experienced before. While Martin wrestles with his unexpected feelings for Dario, both must also cope with the repercussions of a traumatic event in Dario's past.

Their journey together isn't easy. Sometimes it isn't even safe. Ultimately they may arrive together at a happiness greater than either has ever dared to hope for, but only if they are brave enough to overcome their fears.

Thank you in advance for any constructive criticism!

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Duncalf | 41 comments Hi I like that! I read it really quickly so that as I was reading it it did give me a dramatic impact which is what I personally like about reading a description of a book. Hope this helps you!

message 3: by Varian (new)

Varian Krylov (variankrylov) | 12 comments Hi Debbie--thanks for taking the time to respond with your thoughts.

As someone who tends to be wordy, I was trying really hard to make the blurb short and punchy, so I'm happy to hear that worked for you!

Cheers,
Varian

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Duncalf | 41 comments Punchy yes that was the word I was looking for lol!

message 5: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Pearce (robertapearce) | 21 comments Varian, I liked it. The only thing I might suggest is swapping out Martin's name for a pronoun where you can. A couple of possible spots:

Martin has always wanted to make music. But playing it safe has kept him in a boring job and a mediocre band.

He's always been straight. But then he is seduced by magnetic local literary luminary, Dario.

Now he must decide whether to keep playing it safe, or whether to succumb to a ravenous passion and a nourishing love unlike anything he's experienced before. While he wrestles with his unexpected feelings for Dario, both must also cope with the repercussions of a traumatic event in Dario's past. ...

message 6: by Varian (new)

Varian Krylov (variankrylov) | 12 comments Thanks Roberta! Yes, I was kind of clubbing you over the head with the protagonist's name, wasn't I? Funny how hard it gets to notice these things after moving the words around for a while.

Thanks again!

Varian

message 7: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Pearce (robertapearce) | 21 comments Varian wrote: "Thanks Roberta! Yes, I was kind of clubbing you over the head with the protagonist's name, wasn't I? Funny how hard it gets to notice these things after moving the words around for a while.

Thank..."

LOL! You're welcome. I really only notice it now because I used to do it all the time - inside my books, too. So my rule is, once I've established who's in the scene, I don't use the names again, if possible . . . or hardly at all.