What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Love story set in Japan, title may begin with "O", possibly European couple, maybe before WWI or WWII

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pauline (last edited Apr 30, 2014 08:44AM) (new)

Pauline | 1 comments hi in the 80s I read a love story set in japan the title I think began with the letter o

does anyone out there have any ideas what this book was would love to read it again

I think it was about European couple either before wwi or wwii

message 2: by HeavyReader (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:45AM) (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments First I would suggest you put some of the details about the book you are looking for in the title of the thread. A generic title like "romance" isn't likely to jog someone's memory. Not everyone reads every post. Many people just look at titles, and if they see something familiar, then they might look at your entire post.

Secondly, in the body of your post, try giving as many details as you remember. What happened in the story? What was the conflict in the story? Were the main characters both Japanese? Was the setting only Japan, or did any of the characters travel? How does the story end?

Also, was the author Japanese or was the author American (British, Australian)? Had the book been translated from Japanese or was it written originally in English (or some other language)?

Right now, you are giving other readers very little to go on. I imagine there were more than one love story set in Japan in the 80s.

Good luck finding your book!

message 3: by HeavyReader (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Here's a link to a list of romances set in East/Southeast Asia or with East/Southeast Asian heroes and heroines:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

Here's a link to a list of Japanese fiction:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Maybe you can find your book on one of these lists.

message 5: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Maybe something by Pearl S Buck? She mostly set her books in China but did have several in Japan.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32230 comments Mod
Just a guess - The Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Would this be described as literary fiction or mass market fiction?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Pauline, are you still looking for this?

message 10: by Tab (last edited Feb 14, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Pauline, are you still looking for this?"

No response; moving to Abandoned.