What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Forgotten children's book about a fast car. /s

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments When I was a boy I read a story about a car that is always speeding/going fast. Thorough-out the story a police man is pulling the car over and giving it tickets. (The car can drive itself, it may or may not have eyes where the headlights are.)

Once the car gets a ticket it gets re-painted a new color and also gets a new job trying something else. So the car is yellow and is a taxi, it is green and does a different job, always in a hurry always getting speeding tickets from the police man until in the end it is painted red and becomes a fire fighter(fire chief's car?) and is speeding to the fires and no longer gets a ticket because it is his job now to hurry.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Is this a picture book or chapter book? Does it have illustrations, if so, are they realistic or cartoonish, bright or muted?

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:34PM) (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments It's a children's book so there are illustrations.I would lean towards "picture book" given the choice of only the two.
Fairly colorful but not overly bright. I can remember the way in which the books illustrator illustrated the car's "speediness" was streaks of color (whatever color the car was at this point in the story) behind the car like a paint brush streak.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

What year did you read it?

message 5: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:42PM) (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments well, I was born in in '76, but it could have easily been written earlier. I suspect I was somewhere between 5-8. it's really just a guess though. I'm afraid my memory isn't as good with details about me as they are about the book.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:51PM) (new)

Binky Gets a Car?

Are there any humans or animals in the book?

Were the illustrations like the above book, or different?

message 7: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:59PM) (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments Well, as stated there is a Police officer in the book. However, in the context of the story, the humans were not so much focused on. I believe they were even illustrated in the book but only small (size-wise) in other words they were more for the sake of the story "included" but not drawn much. No animals as far as I can remember.

message 8: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:00PM) (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments No to the illustrations of the suggested book. The car in most illustrations was smaller on the page and it showed allot of the streets that it drove on. Perhaps like a maze on the back of a children's menu at a restaurant. Just not so intricate. However, in the end, the fire "he" must get to is shown on the building and the path that the car drove from where it started is there also.

message 9: by Pamela (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:52AM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1078 comments I have this exact story on a record I still have that I listened to as a kid. It's called The Speedy Little Taxi. Unfortunately, the add book/author didn't work. I'll see if I can find the author. The author seems to be Darlene Geis.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:03PM) (new)

https://www.google.com/search?q=speed...

Some images of several different covers for "The Speedy Little Taxi", as well as some pages inside the book.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 6 comments Thank you Pamela you nailed it. And Lobstergirl thanks also for the attention. I will try and repay the effort and guess somebody else's book title. Only I'm not so read, so I will just do my best and hope to help another as I've been helped thanks again ladies.

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments I've never read that book, so I'm sure you've read books others haven't read either. Great to see your book is found.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I added it to the database. It's too new for search to pull it up at the moment so it can't be shelved for abit.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1078 comments You're welcome.