Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > Denna is the Wind

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flouro (new)

Flouro | 3 comments I don't know if anyone ever stumbled by this but I'm pretty sure that Denna is a representation of the Wind. I just don't know if she really is the Wind or just a clever paralel of it.

She changes her name, as the Wind does. (The ever-changing name of the Wind)

Many try to catch her, but no one can.

She is never in one place for long. (as if she had some urge to never stop)

When she is cannot tell Kvothe the name of her patron the Wind sends him an Ash leaf. Raising the hypothesis that her patron is Cinder. (Ash = Cinder)And if the patron is really Cinder (explaining Denna's song to her patron's request where the Seven are the heroes), they may be using Denna to keep some tabs on Kvothe.

It goes up to the theory that the Wind is somehow trying to help Kvothe.

The other hypothesis is that Denna is somehow (maybe not-knowingly) controling the Wind.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Rute (new)

Rute Mota | 35 comments I'd like the first idea better!!
:-)

message 3: by Asiya (new)

Asiya Shaikh | 11 comments Hmmm...I admit that I too have suspicions from the start that Denna's patron is "Cinder".
I think that Denna is Meluan Lackless's sister.Kvothe notices something when he first sees her. Meluan looks very familiar. I think Denna is the sister who ran away with some Troupers.It can't be his mother, since he has already visited his relatives,when he was young.

message 4: by Joecrash411 (new)

Joecrash411 (goodreadscomJoecrash) I'm positive Kvothe's mother IS Meluan's sister. When she ran away with a trooper it was a scandal in her family, and she never returned; hence Meluan's intense hatred of all things Edema Ruh. I think you're confusing the time the troop spent at Lord Greyfallow's estate in the winter months - the troop's patron, by who's authority they can play, and to collect the new clothes in Greyfallow's colors he mentions just before meeting Ben.
I think Meluan is going to hire someone to do away with Kvothe, not knowing he is in fact her nephew, and suicide when she realizes what she's done, and earn the wrath of Lord Alveron. (last part is pure speculation.)

message 5: by Asiya (new)

Asiya Shaikh | 11 comments Joecrash411 wrote: "I'm positive Kvothe's mother IS Meluan's sister. When she ran away with a trooper it was a scandal in her family, and she never returned; hence Meluan's intense hatred of all things Edema Ruh. I th..."
Hmmm......yes. I believe youre right.kvothe's mom is the top contender as meluan's sister. Second is Denna. I don't know the killing and suiciding bit. I think she'll try to do something but she would get to know about it before it's too late . Then Alveron would open 'doors' for him to find the amyr. I hope this is what happens. Pure speculation.

message 6: by Joecrash411 (new)

Joecrash411 (goodreadscomJoecrash) Another thing to consider is how often Denna changes not only names, but mannerisms as well. Do you recall the panic Elodin was in when he thought that Kvothe had changed his name? One day she's a cheerful young lady, enjoying a long ride in a caravan, looking for adventure, to a .. well, to a whore who hates men, and is trying to help a young woman who had run away from home not only not get killed, but how to make the most of it. (Hating men is a bit much, but she sure doesn't hid the fact she considers most are monsters.)

message 7: by Noah (new)

Noah (kingbobson) | 43 comments Many men are monsters.

message 8: by Rute (new)

Rute Mota | 35 comments have you seen this theory about Denna?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 86 comments I have not seen that before but it's funny that someone called Denna a Kardashian

message 10: by Asiya (new)

Asiya Shaikh | 11 comments Joecrash411 wrote: "Another thing to consider is how often Denna changes not only names, but mannerisms as well. Do you recall the panic Elodin was in when he thought that Kvothe had changed his name? One day she's a ..."
true.Elodin also says that she changes her name coz she might not be happy with who she is.

message 11: by Sam (last edited Jan 15, 2015 06:26AM) (new)

Sam DeGree | 1 comments This theory fits, and this passage from NotW chapter 62 adds a lot of support (After D says a willow blossom would fit K):

"Cease these sweet words," I protested. "You seek to bend me to your will, but it will not work. Your flattery is naught to me but wind!"

She watched me for a moment, as if to make sure my tirade was complete. "Beyond all other trees," she said with a curl of a smile on her elegant mouth, "the willow moves to the winds desire."

This passage not only furthers the connection between Denna and the wind (as a metaphor), but also implies that Denna seeks to manipulate Kvothe in some way. Whether that is for her own agenda--innocent or not--or for her patron, is anyone's guess.

message 12: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Johansen (Hayd) | 72 comments I always saw them as harmonious just as it is phased in notw before they sing together.. This means they move in tune with one another in a effortless way thus one who attempts to move toward the other will push them away. only out of effortlessness do they ever meet.. Then I compared the metaphors placed to their decriptions.. Kvothe being the flame and Denna being the wind.. With the two elements near each other for two long the flame can grow out of control acting as flame does. Consequently, the fire will yearn for the wind when it begins to fade(hopeless romance).However, if they were to come together for good in an attempt to work against nature disaster would follow. Thus, "Look around, the whole world is burning down." - Bast WMF. As to the deeper meaning of it all I believe Kvothe is the living spirit of Andan the element of fire(a way to cleanse the earth and start a new cycle). As Andan come again he will bring forth the chandrian for the day of atonement and bind them hand and foot to the iron wheel burning them forever. I think the significance of an ever burning lamp is brought up for this exact reason. Who better to ask than the holy spirit of flame.

message 13: by Juan (new)

Juan | 2 comments Flouro wrote: "I don't know if anyone ever stumbled by this but I'm pretty sure that Denna is a representation of the Wind. I just don't know if she really is the Wind or just a clever paralel of it.

She changes..."

You just made me remember something about Master Ash, isn't there a part where Denna confuses the name Ash with Cinder? Could that be a clue?

message 14: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Johansen (Hayd) | 72 comments Cinder is the Tehlin Justice in Tarbean. Both are described with a "knife blade face" and Cthaeh says "You'd think a man with coal black eyes would make an impression when he stops in to buy a drink" which is referring to the Tehlin Justice in the bar listening to Skarpi then confining him. Also explains why he hisses at the name Tehlu.

message 15: by Herbert (new)

Herbert (novelnemisus) | 3 comments About this thread's title...dose it actually mean, Denna is in the wind? The means that she is no place to be found at the present time locally, abroad, if you will. To say that she is the wind, is something from the magic system.

I didn't think she could do magic. Unless she is a magic user now...

message 16: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Chris (chris300) | 387 comments Mod
Herbert wrote: "About this thread's title...dose it actually mean, Denna is in the wind? The means that she is no place to be found at the present time locally, abroad, if you will. To say that she is the wind, is..."

They're suggesting that she is the physical embodiment of the wind. Like how the fable of the moon disappearing.

message 17: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Chris (chris300) | 387 comments Mod
There's also a lot of speculation that Denna can in fact use magic. i.e. Yllish knots.

message 18: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Johansen (Hayd) | 72 comments I actually see Denna as more of a Lackless.. almost all her Eolian appearances shes wearing a green dress (lackless colors) and at one point a suitor buys her lackless colored earings and necklace.

It should be noted that the flute Iax used to play for the moon was also lackless colors. How odd that a special flute calls the nightjars at day and the moon. Probably an heir loom of the lacklesss.

Also, read a certain way lanres song by arliden says " lanre strong as the spring steel of his sword" What if this is really talking about Lanre's instrument possibly a green flute.. This is because spring steel is often used for instruments however pat writes the song to say he is strong as the spring..If I'm right then the weapons that are all weird colors are probably wrought from singing or shaping..

message 19: by Mucho (new)

Mucho | 6 comments Joecrash411 wrote: "I'm positive Kvothe's mother IS Meluan's sister. When she ran away with a trooper it was a scandal in her family, and she never returned; hence Meluan's intense hatred of all things Edema Ruh. I th..."

I believe youre right except rather than the suicide bit, i believe Kvothe will follow Meluans efforts back to Severen and in an unexpected turn of events end up killing Maer Alveron. Hence the KingKiller title.