Mineola Library Teen Readers discussion

START DISCUSSING HERE > Reflections on the book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 22, 2009 11:16PM) (new)

Suzanne Moore (suzeq) | 18 comments Mod
Have you ever thought, when you were young, how much you'd like to be a prince or princess in a tale?

Who hasn't wished that they could live in a fairy tale? Marry the handsome Prince or Princess and live happily ever after.

Here's the question: After reading the book NOW what do you think?

I remember when I was little I always wanted to be Wendy and get rescued from Captain Hook by Peter Pan. LOL

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 15 comments Mod
Not just after reading the book, but after becoming more seasoned, I don't want a fairy tale life. There's always something below the surface that isn't what it seems.
Also, after reading the book and knowing that each story is a perpetual loop that is difficult to break, that's not a life I would want to lead.
However, reading the book and seeing that if you can hang on to who you are (your memories), you can overcome the perceived accepted status quo and become something else--you see a metaphor for life. Anything can be overcome, it won't be easy, but it can be accomplished with determination and lots of hard work.

message 3: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 23, 2009 07:17AM) (new)

Great post Mary! Thanks for the inspiration... I need it right now. Can't wait to finish my classwork, so I can dig into this book too!

It would get rather old if I had to keep getting rescued from pirates over and over again.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jul 23, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

Rachel | 16 comments Probably the only really cool thing about being in a
fairytale is you wouldn't have to do chores(except for Cinderella)When I was
little I used to pretend I was Rapunzel because I had such long hair(LOL)Goodluck with your classwork Suzanne!!!

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Rapunzel's hair was very pretty, and I always wanted to grow mine long like that. But what would be hard to handle is living in that tower, and letting the prince climb up on my hair to visit. (ouch!) I might not mind living in the tower, as long as I had plenty of good books to read :)

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 16 comments I'm with you on that Suzanne, that had to hurt.