Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for urban fantasy books with kick-ass main characters

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stine (new)

Stine | 15 comments Hello fellow readers!
This summer i am going on a vacation to America. While I am crossing the ocean, I am going to do what I love the most – book shopping. I was wondering if any one here would help me pick some good urban fantasy series I should buy while on vacation. I prefer books with strong female characters, but I am open for suggestions. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks beforehand.

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 4 comments I see we have many books in common , so suggest soemthing different have u tried lux series first book is Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout looking through your books i have a feeling though it might sound strange you will love it and the female lead is very strong

message 3: by Penumbra (last edited Apr 29, 2014 03:06AM) (new)

Penumbra | 7 comments I read the first in this series and liked it, but I haven't read the others so can't tell you how the rest are. Fire Baptized (Santeria Habitat, #1) by Kenya Wright
This is an explanation of the creatures in this world and is free: Caged View A Collection of Urban Fantasy Short Stories (Habitat, #0.5) by Kenya Wright

message 4: by Alison (Lady Coffin) (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:51AM) (new)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 4 comments I see you have Lili St.Crow, but I didn't see any of her books under Lilith Saintcrow I would recommend what so far is a stand alone Steelflower and her steampunk Bannon & Clare series and her Dante Valentine series, I haven't read the ,i.Jill Kismet series, have it in my to read because from the cover it should like she will kick some ass also.

I see you have Kim Harrison first book Dead Witch Walking in The Hollows series, it gets so much better, and Rachel and Ivy turn into great characters. And Jenks is always good for a laugh or a funny curse.

Besides the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris that I see you have read some of I would suggest her Lily Bard series, about a woman that is fighting for a normal life after a horrendous attack, but still keeps stumbling upon mysteries. Or the Harper Connelly series, she can see sense dead people, can find there lost bodies and strange things, but it is sort of cool in a paranormal way. The most mellow is Aurora Teagarden series, but she still keeps finding dead bodies and ends up in the middle of mysteries all the time.

On your list you had and Hunt the Moon and a few of the others from the Cassandra Palmer series but you should try the Dorina Basarab series by Karen Chance the first book is Midnight's Daughter she is the dhampir daughter of Mircea.

I see you read the Walking Dead the Walker Papers series, Frost Burned the Mercy Thompson series, and Green-Eyed Demon from the Sabina Kane series.
So below is a list of others that come to mind:
Vicki Pettersson, Signs of the Zodiac series 1st book The Scent of Shadows
Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniels series 1st book Magic Bites
Also, by them is The Edge series 1st book On the Edge
Seanan McGuire, October Daye series 1st book Rosemary and Rue
Also by her is the newer InCryptid series 1st book Discount Armageddon
Yasmine Galenorn Otherworld series 1st book is Witchling each book is told from of a different one of the three sisters, in a rotating pattern, makes for an interesting series.
Also by her is the Indigo Court series the first book is Night Myst
Carrie Vaughn her Kitty Norville series Kitty and the Midnight Hour is the first
Also by her and a interesting twist on the superhero world is After the Golden Age
Devon Monk Allie Beckstrom series first book is Magic to the Bone I look forward to reading the follow up series also Broken Magic.
Jocelynn Drake Dark Days series first book is Nightwalker personally am also enjoying her The Asylum Tales series, but it is a male lead.
Th final on is under three names Michelle Sagara, Michelle Sagara West, and Michelle West she has the Chronicles of Elantra series starting with Cast in Shadow, the Books of the Sundered series starting with Into the Dark Lands and than the three series that are connected, but I couldn't at the moment tell you what order to read them in they are The Sun Sword series, The Sacred Hunt series and The House War series. Not always are the main characters female, but in The House War series it is.

I know that is a lot, but figured you could pick and choose, see if others agree with some of those suggestions.

Enjoy the read!!

message 5: by Practical Mike (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:37AM) (new)

Practical Mike | 35 comments What this thread needs is some testosterone... Don't get me wrong either, because there are some strong, kick-ass females in these series too.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher
Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia
Hard Magic (Grimnoir Chronicles, #1) by Larry Correia
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

Lead female I didn't see in your list:
Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1) by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Young Adultish but don't let that stop you from enjoying: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) by Lish McBride and it's sequel.

Liked Discount Armageddon and Kim Harrison series from the post above.

I was very "meh" towards Ilona Andrews, Michelle Sagara, Devon Monk, and Charlaine Harris.

message 6: by Practical Mike (new)

Practical Mike | 35 comments Some others that I think would be worth looking at:

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch
Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka

I'm about 40 pages into The Man With the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1) by Simon R. Green and it looks like it's going to be a good one.

Not Urban Fantasy but still pretty good reads:
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich
Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) by Michael J. Sullivan
The Sword-Edged Blonde (Eddie LaCrosse, #1) by Alex Bledsoe
Heroics for Beginners by John Moore

message 7: by William (new)

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 56 comments jim butcher is a good author with strong supporting female characters

message 8: by William (new)

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 56 comments nikki heat by richard castle good strong main female character

message 9: by Stine (new)

Stine | 15 comments I really appreciate your answers, and how some of you really put a great effort in helping me. I will look up every book recommended, and research everything about them. Thanks every one

message 10: by Geneva (new)

Geneva Vand | 8 comments If you haven't decided yet, I second the Seanan McGuire and suggest the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

message 11: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 12 comments I suggest Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series.. Gin is pretty kick ass.. Kate Daniels is also amazing!

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts) (lanieadamsk) | 17 comments Midnight's Daughter is an awesome series by Karen Chance, you should definitely give it a try:)! Dory is majorly kick-butt and there is some romance in there. I wouldn't recommend the Jill Kismet series, the MC is extremely whiny and not very strong IMO. The rest of St.Crows books are good tho, if your into YA try her Strange Angelsseries.

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts) (lanieadamsk) | 17 comments I'd also recommend Beyond The Veil. The MC is extremely strong and very complex, it's become one of my favorites.

message 14: by Stine (new)

Stine | 15 comments Thanks people :)

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Lanie wrote: "I'd also recommend Beyond The Veil. The MC is extremely strong and very complex, it's become one of my favorites."

That sounds great! And now, a round of applause please, as my TBR stack crashes across the floor like a wave off of Maui.....

message 16: by Anna (last edited May 11, 2014 03:59AM) (new)

Anna | 23 comments Skyla Dawn Cameron has a great set of characters in her series Demons of Oblivion. Book 1 is Bloodlines Bloodlines (Demons of Oblivion, #1) by Skyla Dawn Cameron
She is also running a free serial currently on her website called Soulless. SDC has posted approx 80% of Soulless so its a good time to check it out. However, Ani, the main character in Soulless is quite gentle, unlike Zara Lain, Cameron's lead in the DOO series. Zara, a vampire assassin, is a bit like Kate Daniels/Gin with attitude.
If you've enjoyed Karen Chance, Ilona Andrews and Jennifer Estep you'll probably like Cameron's series- (though there is a fair bit of cursing), and it is cheap on Kindle -starting under £2.

http://www.skyladawncameron.com/

Ray (warrior of randomness) XP | 14 comments I have two words for you

Sherrilyn Kenyon. She is an amazing urban fantasy author and all of her characters in her books can kick ass

These Violent Delights (Robin) Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost! They are amazing!

message 20: by Andi (new)

Andi (aisawesome) | 8 comments I'm surprised I didn't see Guild Hunter Series here. The fist book is Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh . Elena is pretty kickass :)

message 21: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (littlelexa) Let's see!

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder
This one is YA, but it's really really good.

Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane
This one is different from everything else out there.

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
And this one is also YA but the heroine is kickass.

Have fun in your trip!

message 22: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments I'll preface this with the fact that I don't generally enjoy female protagonists. That being said, my wife got me to read the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson...and I am loving it. Outstanding writing with a strong female lead and great supporting characters.

I would also recommend the 2 Cheshire Red books by Cherie Priest. They are fantastic and I only wish there were more.

Good luck.

message 23: by Stine (new)

Stine | 15 comments Robin wrote: "Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost! They are amazing!"
i have read that series,and i agree with you -- they are amazing

message 24: by So, I Read This Book Today (last edited Jun 02, 2014 04:39AM) (new)

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Can we all have a WHOOP WHOOP!!

Just finished the final proof of Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic

It. Is. AMAZING! Jade is such a kick-ass heroine, but she has a wonderful, warm heart at the same time. She goes through such pain, such loss, and still she soldiers on, trying to do the best she can in horrific circumstances. She is one of my favorite heroines of all time - especially when she is baking cupcakes when she isn't out kickin' ass and takin' names. This time Jade finds herself in London, still tracking her murdering, black-magic wielding sister . . . the body count is growing, and Jade is stemming the tide - but just barely.......

Watch for my review soon, the book publishes on the 19th and you HAVE to read it. If you haven't read the first two, I highly recommend them: Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser, #1) by Meghan Ciana Doidge Trinkets, Treasures, and Other Bloody Magic (The Dowser, #2) by Meghan Ciana Doidge

That way you will be all prepped for Treasures on the 19th!!

Enjoy!
Leiah
soireadthisbooktoday.com

message 25: by Stine (new)

Stine | 15 comments I have not read the first too, but i will do it with Your strong recommendation!! Thanks

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments I even have the first one Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser, #1) by Meghan Ciana Doidge , but it seems to have been forgotten at the bottom of my TBR pile. I'll have to make sure to get to it this month.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments I don't think you will be disappointed. I would love to hear what you think. I have my GREEDY little hands on Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9) by C.E. Murphy !!!!

Will be reading through the night! I adore beta reads, I can get you all pumped about something new--how kickin' is that??

message 28: by Billy (new)

Billy Wong | 5 comments Here's a beastly little fighter chick for y'all -

Fists Against Fear by Billy Wong Fists Against Fear

Action-packed urban fantasy with a butt-kicking heroine.

When financially struggling mixed martial arts fighter Jason accepts an illegal underground bout out of desperation, he meets his match in a mysterious iron-fisted young woman named Cheryl. They find each other to be kindred souls, and strike up a fast friendship. But after Jason learns of Cheryl's history of battling dark creatures and it comes back to haunt her, the two of them must stand together against supernatural evil.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KK41O2O/?...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KK41O2O...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Hi Billy!

message 30: by Billy (new)

Billy Wong | 5 comments Huggles.

message 31: by Al (new)

Al Britten (albritten) | 2 comments Hi all… Apologies if these books have already been mentioned, but I love the Miriam Black novels by Chuck Wendig.

Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) by Chuck Wendig
Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2) by Chuck Wendig
The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3) by Chuck Wendig

Really dark. Really fun. And the protagonist is badaas :)

message 32: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 28 comments Chosen (The Warrior Chronicles #1) by K.F. Breene is totally awesome!

message 33: by chucklesthescot (last edited Jul 29, 2014 03:37AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Try these if you haven't read them. They all have strong female leads:
Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) by D.D. Barant , Black Wings (Black Wings, #1) by Christina Henry , Wolf's Bane by Judith Post , Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding , Sign of the Throne (The Solas Beir Trilogy, #1) by Melissa Eskue Ousley , Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1) by Sierra Dean , Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin , Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur , The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (The Tribe #1) by Ambelin Kwaymullina , Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden , Godhead (The Last Olympiad, #1) by Ken Mooney , The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw (Morgan Sisters, #1) by Suzy Turner , Dark Oracle (Oracle, #1) by Alayna Williams , Spellbent (Jessie Shimmer, #1) by Lucy A. Snyder , Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover , Genesis (XII Saga, #1) by Jason Rowe , Dead Trees by Eli Constant , Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong , Raven (The Raven Saga, #1) by Suzy Turner , The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1) by David Estes , ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1) by Ada Adams , Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1) by Laura Bickle , Dark Genesis (Dark Genesis, #1) by Dave Ferraro , The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay , Crimson Night (Night, #1) by Marie Hall , The Reaper Within by Stephanie Jackson ,

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna | 23 comments Ilona Andrews Magic Breaks is on Special offer on UK kindle starting 25 September with the price gradually rising from .99 over the next few days. Currently £1.99. No 8 in the series-Kate Daniels

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) (oosarahoo) Kate Daniels and Gin Blanco have already been mentioned but I'd also recommend Elise Kavanagh in the Descent series by SM Reine (7 instalments) Death's Hand (Descent, #1) by S.M. Reine .

message 36: by Banyanya (last edited Dec 19, 2014 06:02AM) (new)

Banyanya | 1 comments Ignited (Ignited Series, #1) by Desni Dantone

This book Ignited contains SO MUCH sarcastic-witty humor. Heroine's snarky thoughts and one liners/dialogue is funny as hell. I laughed out loud. She was not annoying or stupid. Also, heroine and hero doesn't get along at all, she hates him actually. So you will get to laugh from their interactions. Not forgetting the guy is a bad-ass-caring-jerk. It's slow burn romance.It's YA but really mature.

message 37: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda Thanks, Banyanya. I'm going to look into Ignited.