The Book Was Better discussion

BOOKS ON SCREEN > THE SPECTACULAR NOW

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I've read the book but haven't yet seen the movie. It comes out on DVD beginning of next month here in Australia so looking forward in seeing how close they stick to the orinigal story.

I was surprised how it ended as it was so different to the jovial tone in the beginning. I loved the attitude of Sutter to begin with but the more layer's that were pulled back the more complex it seemed.

The line up of the cast in the movie looks impressive so I expect really good results *fingers crossed*. I've not seen any of James Ponsoldt's films such as 'Smashed' or 'off the Black'. But have seen bits of his TV series 'Shameless'.

Have you read the book? did you like the ending?

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I stand corrected I was thinking of a different TV series. The one I was thinking of is actually called 'Outrageous Fortune' which is a kiwi comedy-drama... my bad.

So nope not seen any of his work!

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
I have not heard of this book, but might need to look into it for sure....as if my reading list is not long enough already... ;)

message 4: by Florina (new)

Florina (jocastellan) | 3 comments I've read and watched this.
Hmmm...the movie was good, I guess, but a little bit boring.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Haha IKR! Each day feels like I add another one to my list. Got to be a way for everyone one I add I read 2 more in stead of other way around!

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Oh!! So I looked it up and watched the preview for this movie. Not really something I would normally gravitate towards, but might give the book a go just to see!

So far this year I have read 52 1/2 books, and my to-read list has about trippled....It's a never ending downward slide!! hahah

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Horcrucx wrote: "I've read and watched this.
Hmmm...the movie was good, I guess, but a little bit boring."

Boring!... damn really! I guess I could see that happening as the middle of the book with all the parties happening and the unveiling of his problems... if not done right could be boring.

kind of reminded me (very slightly) of a younger Gatsby from 'The Great Gatsby'. only because of the way he coasts through school and life in general. seeing the 'fun' in everything. almost living in a different world to everyone else.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I saw the movie, and it reminded me a lot of the 1980s movie "Say Anything." I watched "The Spectatular Now" with my boyfriend, and I was surprised he really got into the film because he was relunctant to watch it. I thought the film was very well done, but thought it was so odd how the girl became an acholic like the boy.

message 9: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

To me it looks like a teen drinking movie, and from the preview it did not look like something I would want to watch.... It might just be that I am so far removed from teenager life!! ;)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dana wrote: "To me it looks like a teen drinking movie, and from the preview it did not look like something I would want to watch.... It might just be that I am so far removed from teenager life!! ;)"

I felt the same way when I saw Project X. I was like I am way to old watching this movie, and I was 24 when I saw it.

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I don't know of that one.... When I read The Fault in Our Stars I felt sooo old, so I cannot imagine getting really into this one, a full 2 years later (and less than 2 years until I hit the dreaded 30)!! haha Glad us old ladies can stick together! ;)

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dana wrote: "I don't know of that one.... When I read The Fault in Our Stars I felt sooo old, so I cannot imagine getting really into this one, a full 2 years later (and less than 2 years until I hit the dreade..."

Haha yes us old ladies can stick together. I'm turning 27 this year. It's so weird how my twenties are slipping by so quickly.

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I know, right?! my 10 year high school reunion in this year, and it is soooo weird to think how long it has already been!! Makes these books written about how high school is this massive and sooo important time less impactful now. I've seen the other side of the hurdle that is high school....and it's a small hurdle compared to what is ahead!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dana wrote: "I know, right?! my 10 year high school reunion in this year, and it is soooo weird to think how long it has already been!! Makes these books written about how high school is this massive and sooo i..."

Mine is in 2 years, and I completely agree with what you said about high school.

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I love in Bring It On the Musical when they describe high school as a "blip." It's so true! Life has a way of feeling soooo important, until it has passed and then it was not that significant at all! hmmm

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I loved the book! The movie's a little different though. I did like it as well. I loved Miles Teller, aka Peter in Divergent, in this. And yes, the girl IS Tris from Divergent lmao. XD

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I watched the movie and it's deleted scenes. Some scenes were cut that I think should have been left in but understand they would have been tough to take out in the first instance for time reasons. I liked the ending in the movie as it gave hope where in the book I had none. Sutter was a good guy but made some bad choices. Actors did great jobs all around in my mind. Liked the book more as always gives you more ;) but ending better in movie.

message 18: by Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (last edited May 15, 2014 11:37PM) (new)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I like the movie ending better also. :)

Also, Thresh from The Hunger Games is in this too... I think.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Wow did not place him at all! Haha he seems smaller somehow in this movie... Or is that just me? Maybe coz his character isn't so aggressive?