Kenyons Minions discussion

The League: Born of Silence BOTM

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments The fifth book in The League series that we'll be reading will be Born of Silence.

Description
As the Resistance leader, Zarya Starska's only goal is to topple the government that destroyed her entire family and left her penniless. Her biggest asset is a mysterious man known only as Kere. But Kere has a dark secret. Born into a world that is as privileged as it is corrupt, his real name is Darling Cruel-and he is heir to the government Zarya wants to overthrow. No one has ever seen the real man behind the legend. No one except Zarya. But when she allows a weapon he designed to be used against his beloved sister, all bets are off. Betrayed by the Resistance, Darling's goal is not only to reign, but to kill every Resistance member he can find. Zarya must stop Darling's reign of terror, but can she reach past his insanity to restore the hero who once fought by her side?

message 2: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Thread will open May 1st

The Window Seat (windowseat13) | 6 comments To me.... this is Kenyon's best book. In fact, of all Kenyon's stories, I would put more League books in the top 5 than Dark Hunter books. I really hope that with the release of Born of Fury (which is AWESOME, by the way) that the League starts getting more fans. I think most of her Dark Hunter fans would love the League if they only gave it a shot, but it just doesn't have the same reputation as the Dark Hunters and CON... :)

message 4: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Q: Can you name all of whom these relatives are related to and if they are still in the family or disinherited?

Fain
Paden
Keris
Sorche
Desideria

Clue: Sometimes savoring the moment is good. But other times it's best to look to the future...

message 5: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Cleared the first 5 chapters. Can see why you guys aren't big fans of Zarya. Although in her mild defense and given their world. I can kind of see why she acted like she did in these first few chapters at least. But with that being said. I seriously never want to be a character in their world at all. I mean everyone knows what an ass hat Darling's uncle is and how he would shaft anybody within a inch of their lives. For Zarya to not be able to separate her views on "Artie" from what she knew of Darling's immediate family is really sad, ridiculous, and disgusting to be honest. Given how close it read that they used to be and how their dads were friends in the past.

message 6: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments By chance is there any more elaboration on Darling's mother's mutant genes and why his sister has "powers" of some sort? I know I'm not far into the book yet chapter 10. But I'm really curious about that.

Also gotta say I like Darling breaking bad on peeps. Sometimes when you push folks too far, the crazy does come out and soooo many peeps needed to see that in his life.

I'm also glad Maris is in his life. Finally makes me realize what Meredith and Christina meant by being each other's "person". Everyone sooo needs one for sure.

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 4 comments If I remember correctly, I think you do learn more about his mom's lineage. I've read this one 3 times...you'd think I'd remember. This my favorite book of the series so far.

message 8: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yeah you learn more about it later in the series. I'm pretty sure you do.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments You do learn more about it later in the book, kind of. If you're not paying attention you might miss it. But that won't be a problem for you, being a super fan and all.

Never underestimate the power of fear as motivation. I didn't have any problems with how Zarya reacted, because of who she thought Darling had become. She had no contact with him at all after his father died, and before that it wasn't like they were the very bestest of friends.

What bugged me is how long it took her to accept her part in what Darling suffered at the hands of the resistance. He had every right to be angry at her, and after everything else he'd been through I don't blame him for going ape on her, and I don't blame Jayne for what she did. Zarya needed a swift kick in the ass and to know what she'd done to him by not caring enough to check on her prisoners.

message 10: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Cool beans. Cause at first I was thinking that his mom was Ritandarion or something like that, like Syn. But apparently it seems like more is going on if they can see just as good in light and dark with no probs. And the random mention of powers from his sister. So thinking a Rita and Trisani mix of DNA somewhere along the way.

Which is another thing I don't get. The majority of the races in the "Ick" Universe are human/humanoid right? And yet there are some aliens some how in there too right? Like with the Trisani that suddenly have telepathic abilities and yet no one else does or has been mentioned to so far?

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments In the SF world humanoid aliens who are telepathic/empathic borders on being a trope. It's an accepted part of having a multi-race galaxy.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is the best example of this in an alien race. Counselor Troi is a Betazoid, and her people are empathic. The Enterprise crew encounters at least two other humanoid species that are telepathic, one of them is so telepathic they consider speaking through one's larynx to be offensive.

Humans use less than 15% of our brain capacity, so there's no telling what all we could do if we used all of our brain. The upcoming movie Lucy starring ScarJo explores this question. There have been experiments done trying to confirm if the human brain might really have the capacity for telepathy. All of them have been inconclusive.

The show Firefly also explores this idea of using more of our brains in the character of River Tam, played by Summer Glau.

Yeah, I'm an SF fan...

message 12: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "You do learn more about it later in the book, kind of. If you're not paying attention you might miss it. But that won't be a problem for you, being a super fan and all.

Never underestimate the pow..."

Will keep my peepers open then Rachel. I'm a sucker for folks that exhibit abilities and powers.

Oh I definitely don't. And I don't hold Zarya's reaction to Darling's dark side against her in the least. After all you go from sweet and loving to Zarek in no time flat. Can be quite something to deal with. And true they weren't the best of friends. But still even before she took over from her father, I would have thought he would have told her the main target is "Artie" boy and not the whole family at large. So she would know to lead the resistance in a more specific path after her father died.

To a certain extent I can kind of get her taking a long time accepting another perspective about Darling's experience. Yes, it was a lot to deal with true enough. But I think for so many years and building up her own ideas and taking on those from the people around her in regards to the Cruels as a whole being a certain way. That I think it blinded her a lot of the time in regards to the decisions she made. I mean there were a few times she seemed to break away from that when she got mad at them for taking him and being part of his sister getting hurt. And even when she got mad that she realized they still had him.

But I guess that goes back to not under estimating the power of wanting to be self righteous and live in more of your own truth than see other aspects to what is reality. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about what Jayne did. Yea, on the one hand it was sort of justice for Darling that she sold her. But at the same time was it petty...I dunno know...yes...no...maybe... just not sure. I'll agree with the kick in Z's ass though. I mean even if she IS the leader of a resistance against the government. And I'm sure they have their own ideals on how to treat POWs. But dude, she was seeming to give over far too much control to the guys in her group. Just to prove she was "man" enough for the leadership job.

message 13: by Rachel (last edited Jul 22, 2014 05:29PM) (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I need to read it again, it's been over a year. You pointed out some things I'd forgotten happened. But I'm going to buy the ebook before I re-read! My library has it in hardback and Lord almighty it's a tome and I had difficulty finding a good place to read it without making my wrists hurt holding the sucker up.

message 14: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "In the SF world humanoid aliens who are telepathic/empathic borders on being a trope. It's an accepted part of having a multi-race galaxy.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is the best example of th..."

Yea, I think I recall some of that from a few Star Trek episodes I had once caught with my dad back in the day. I was just wondering if such abilities are in general par for the course for certain species in Ick system or were their hidden special ability individuals going around covertly. While there were others more out in the open. Side note that is kind of freaky to think using your larynx is not cool lol.

I did hear about that. And I would love to see that Lucy movie. I also think they picked the wrong actress for the role too. But that is hear nor there. The subject matter shall prove to be quite interesting. Be cool if we could tap into telepathy and telekinesis type of stuff. But I would hate to have that available when some peeps have such ego trips at times. Or would live for spying on people's thoughts. I would totally fear the day someone reads your mind and takes things so far out of context, even more so if you misspoke about something. Oh man, heaven help us all then.

Firefly. I think Amaya/Jennifer has told me about that show before. I never saw it. But perhaps I should have.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Firefly is AWESOME! It's a great intro to SF TV. Very accessible, no matter your background. Think wild west set in space. Joss Whedon did it. Nathan Fillion from Castle is the main character, Captain Mal Reynolds. It's on Netflix streaming if you have it, and only 13 episodes. Unfortunately.

Fringe also plays with the idea of the human brain having more capacity than we're aware of. And they do it very well, including some stuff from the future of what we become when we start accessing too much too fast.

Within the world of science fiction abilities like the Trisani have are par for the course. Telepaths exist in my science fiction universe.

message 16: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "I need to read it again, it's been over a year. You pointed out some things I'd forgotten happened. But I'm going to buy the ebook before I re-read! My library has it in hardback and Lord almighty ..."

Feel free to do so. I love a good book discussion. :) And so don't blame you on the ebook front. I have the hardback copy from my library here as well. And the majority of the time it has been residing in my lap or open on my bed as I read. Totally don't want to risk wrist strain either lol.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'm still on an enforced SK break. When I read too many of hers in a row I start sounding like her when I write. Last month I read five in a row... I also have to get my edits finished, and I'm going to treat myself with the next DH when I finish. Three more between me and Styxx!

message 18: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Sweet, I'll have to find some time to check it out then. I also so wanted to see Fringe, but my other shows were coming on around that time. It did look to have a interesting concept as well. I wonder if they will ever put either of them on Syfy. That'd be great too.

Yea, science fiction has a lot of wicked possibilities. Just weirdly enough, I seem to be able to accept the telepathic abilities and other such things in paranormal worlds/stories as just being that. A simple ability. But in the sci-fi world, it always seems like there is a genetic enhancement, mutated, covert. Just far more in-depth going on than the natural order. If that makes sense.

message 19: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I hear ya. I think too that is why I haven't really felt all that creative or inspired to write even the occasional story idea I've had over the years. Cause since reading SK, someone that literally gets my sense of humor and sarcastic style. It's sooo hard to detract from that at times when thinking of your own stuff. But that is great you are still powering along with your work and in the series. :) I'm going to put a pause on the League books til Maris's book comes out in hard or paper back. My library only has it in audio and although I've tried audio books before. I tend to have ADD and not pay that great of attention when listening to the story that way. So don't want to miss anything, I think it'd be safer to wait.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments All of Fringe is also on streaming Netflix.

There are scientific explanations one can use for telepathy. I built my alien race in a way that I have a solid scientific explanation for their abilities.

Do you have an ereader? Maris's book is only $2.99. I gave up waiting for my library to ever get a copy and bought it.

message 21: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Exactly! And that is what I keep expecting from some of the races mentioned. Cause I know where science fiction is concerned there is definitely something deeper going on or more complex about why there is sudden abilities at work. And I enjoy finding out those reasons. Just to crop up in science fiction with nothing deeper to it, just seems like a wasted opportunity to me. Because science fiction stuff can be so beautifully complex and yet truly amazing all at the same time. And I love watching it unfold.

I do, but mostly read ebooks on my computer apps. We also have e-library. I keep meaning to check and see if I could download a ebook from there and read it through one of my devices...Hmm thanks for reminding me Rachel. I'll call my library in the morning and ask.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments She may be saving more info about the Trisani for if Nero ever gives her enough to write a book for him. It wouldn't do to reveal too much about his race through something that's not his story, IMO.

You should be able to read on your phone or computer.

message 23: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments True, although she could have done a novella in between there somewhere. Or an offshoot story that has a bit of a lead up to revealing a few things without giving away the whole goose.

Oh ok. I just wasn't sure cause I've heard when you do the ereader lending it's a 14 day loan. But not sure if that would work on say Kindle or Nook for PC.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments It depends on what system your library uses. Mine is on Overdrive, and I actually avoid using it because it's not user-friendly at all, IMO. And I'm no slouch when it comes to computers.

Your library should know if it'll work.

message 25: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I've done the elibrary thing. Took almost a month for it to be available and got 14 days to read it. Got it sent to my kindle

message 26: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Jul 22, 2014 08:55PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Wow that sucks on the wait. But I'll look into it and even see if they have a ecopy. Otherwise I might have to buy it or just wait til the book format comes out.

And nope, just the book on CD and digital format copy for listening.

message 27: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments I think overdrive is super simple to use. The adobe epub stuff I can't figure out for the life of me.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I had a really bad experience with Overdrive and trying to get a downloaded audio book to work. It never did, so I avoid using it.

message 29: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I like PDFs in general. They are so nice and simple. And after getting Adobe Digital Editions, I can just simply add any epub books I buy into the library and read them on there with ease.

Also my library does have that Overdrive program you guys were talking about. And do have Cloak and Silence in audio. So after what you said there Rachel, makes me doubly leery now for sure.

Besides, I can wait anyway. Have a buddy read coming up along with some other long awaited books to read too. So it's no big on waiting.

Side note to Shari-There was birth control mentioned this time! And it's pregnancy shots, no magical pink foam or chips like we thought. Darn. :(

message 30: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments Well I don't know about audiobooks.

Right now I swear my library's overdrive is busted on 1 book. I feel like I've been patron 2/2 (or now 2/3) for a month on a hold. I really started watching 9 days ago, so if the book doesn't move in the queue by monday, I know it's busted.

I can't figure out how/what/where to get appropriate adobe software to read an epub book. None of the instructions I've seen for it make sense. If they did my library ebook list would be a lot longer lol.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments You have to have Adobe Digital Editions to get/open Adobe Digital Editions ebooks. Just Google it and you can find the download link for it. You need an Adobe ID to use it, and you can read books in it and also put them on a Nook or Kobo reader. I'm sure there's a way to get them on Apple devices too, but I don't know anything about them.

I run all of my ebooks through a free program called Calibre. But you can't use Calibre to do library books.

message 32: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I believe this is the one I used after I got my upgraded to Windows 7 on my lap top. - http://www.adobe.com/products/digital...

Pretty much, just pick to download for if you have windows or macintosh and follow the wizard instructions. And after that what I pretty much did was run my cursor over the top buttons to see what all the functions were and proceeded from there. I keep it simple that way. I'm sure you can do more but I'm not that fancy with it.

message 33: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments Well my tbr list for this year is still around 56 books, and I still have 10 new releases scheduled. (Some of these tbr's will be pushed back to 2015, running out of time heh.)

Next year's tbr list I started making up and it's currently at 47+ with at least 11 new releases scheduled. I also have 15 authors listed to attempt reading.

My overdrive wish list also has 23 items on it currently as well which I never get to as my other tbr list keeps taking over.

Who needs adobe when there's still over 100 items on my current tbr/future tbr/overdrive piles lol. (And 700 or so freebies I've picked up in 4 years...)

message 34: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Hats off to you Myst for keeping it all so organized. At most I just check and see when a new release is coming out. But then I'll tend to forget it the closer the time gets to the actual release as I'm reading something else. And in general now, I'm in my reading what the hell phase.

message 35: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments Well I fell behind on a few series a few years ago, and no matter what book I want to read, inevitably it'll already be checked out, so I had to make a huge list of various series with what books I haven't read so I can make a post-it with 10 different books which are next in line. It's really sad when you need a backup for your backup x4 book since the first 5 on your list are all checked out.

My organization isn't all that organized...just a notepad file on the computer. The fact I don't even have names on some of the books shows how lazy I am. (Of course numbered books tend to be the ones pushed to be read later.) The closest to organized is where I actually put what city library I have access to which has a particular book. So I know to ask a friend for city B that they live in, or I can hit my library or city C which a txshare card gives me access to. (I *really* wish I had access to city D's overdrive...)

I could stick them all on the GR To-Read file, except that would take a lot longer to look through. And if the internet happens to be down, I can't check them anyways.

So hopefully in 2ish weeks I'll get Guild Hunter 5 & 6 when I return to my main library, I *really* hope my ebook hold comes in so I can get Argeneau 20 at the same time as GH.

When a friend gets back from vacation, I'll get Illusion (and hopefully pern 12).

Guild Hunter 4/6
storm, legion

Vampire Huntress 7/12
8(me), 9, 10, 11, 12

Pern 11/24
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 23, 24
(city): 12

Argeneau 19/21
immortal ever after (ebook 18), vampire most wanted (20)

Dark-Hunter
(city): Illusion

Noble Dead Series
(city): Dhampir
ILL: Sister of the Dead

Zodiac 1/6
vickie pettersson

Necroscope 10/17
(me 11, 12) 15
ILL: 13, 14, Pirates, Plague-bearer, Mobius Murders

Aug 5: Severed Souls - goodkind
Aug 26: Bones Never Lie - reichs
Sept 2: Dark Blood - feehan
Sept 2: Son of No One - kenyon
Sept 9: The Witch with no Name - harrison
Oct 28: Prince Lestat
Oct 28: Archangel's Shadows
Nov 4: Flesh and Blood - cornwell
Dec 30: Die Again - Gerritessan
Dec 31: Crouching Tiger, Forbidden Vampire - Sparks

message 36: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Right, no organization at all Myst. *wink* *wink* haha. Good luck with the Zodiac series. I tried the first book. Wasn't quite my thing.

message 37: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments I read a zodiac short on my kindle and it seemed ok. Not like 80% of the trash I pick up and delete anything else by that author before reading it heh.

message 38: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yea, it was ok enough to me as well. But somewhere it it took a turn and I was like I don't want to continue this. I think around the time when the main character had to become her own sister it got a bit much for me. But been a while since I read it to be sure.

message 39: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments Well I can give book 1 a try and if it turns out to be meh, I'll just have 4 less books to read.

message 40: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Jul 24, 2014 03:47PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Sounds like a plan and one I've learned to adhere to. Especially with so many other first books to series I have yet to try out. Just saves time.

Side note- Are the gerents that Darling are having such issues with, his culture's version of senators or what exactly? I don't quite follow their relevance other than being more of a nuisance.

message 41: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Jul 25, 2014 02:12PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Finished this one today. And overall have to say I see what you meant about "Zara" not quite getting Darling's experience with being tortured like he was, Rachel. To which I have to say to that, I partially stick to what I said earlier. And would have to add that for me as time went on, I felt like she was a character that read to me as having a rather low emotional intelligence level and someone that is a most intense kinesthetic learner.

Meaning that although in the moment when talking with Darling or other people that told him about his life and feelings on things. I felt she could sympathize and empathize on the surface with them. But until she herself was truly put in certain situations where she really got to walk that proverbial mile in Darling's shoes, she didn't truly seem to get it at all. Which I find to be a rather intriguing aspect for a character to go through and way to behave. But without much of a more in-depth reasoning behind it from SK as to what led "Zara" to end up the way she was as an adult. There seemed to be just a lot missing from her character and definitely not someone I would think many would see as a quality heroine/love interest. Which is unfortunate as I think she could have been another heroine for this series that could have been as strong as Desi was.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Overall I liked her. You bring up some good points, though, about her having to experience it for herself before she learns the lesson. My youngest brother is like that, incapable of learning by watching. He has to make the mistake himself before it sticks.

message 43: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I'll admit I didn't quite get into liking her until she and Ture went back to the resistance and she was trying to do some good with the new found knowledge she had on things. Because for a good chunk of her being in the palace and away from the kitchen setting. I felt a lot was not quite sticking to her about why she chose particular actions over others. Heck even when Darling flat out asked her why she never checked on him, it seemed like she couldn't even find an answer within herself either. Which kind of broke my heart for her. Because she kept saying how much she felt for Darling. But yet when he really needed to hear where her mind was at in what happened to him. She had not much to say about it. And so totally reminded me of that song "Say something, I'm giving up on you". Although Darling never really did after time went on. But dude, when you can't even say on the most basic level why you didn't do something for someone or even did do something for someone. I don't know, it just says something about your character or your heart to me.

I know excuses and rationalizations aren't going to make up for anything. But saying something like, I was trying to be the best leader I could. I didn't want to show weakness, I didn't want to let my family down. Hell I don't even consider your family as real people at the time cause of how I felt under the reign of your uncle. But something would have been better than nothing to me.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Definitely.

On the other hand, it also made her very real. In real life people don't always know what to say and they don't have an answer for every question. As an author it's a fine line to walk between realistic characters and making sure the reader doesn't end up hating them.

message 45: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments True on it making her real. As I get nobody is perfect and often can't say the right thing or anything at all. However, she read as heavily unrelatable to me as well. Could be why I often end up with my foot in my mouth so to speak at times. But dude, I'd still rather say something than nothing at all. At least in the effort to get to hopefully a better understanding on the other side, instead of leaving things stalled out and uncertain.