Honors English 10 Central 2014 discussion

59 views
Book Recommendations and "Want Ads"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Walter | 3 comments Mod
One way that people discover new books is by following the recommendations of others. In this discussion feed, you have two choices...

1. Write a short recommendation for a book that you have read and anticipate that others might enjoy reading. Include a general description of the book and a brief explanation about why you liked it.

2. No recommendations? That means that you are really in need of a good book! Write a short "want ad" that describes what kind of book you are looking for. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion!

After writing your post, comment on someone else's. Either comment on the book they've recommended, (Does it sound interesting? Have you also read it? Do you have further questions about it?)....or answer their "want ad" with a recommendation of your own.


message 2: by Natalie (last edited Apr 28, 2014 07:57PM) (new)

Natalie Walter | 3 comments Mod
I would like to recommend a book called Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh. Brosh is famous for her blog by the same name. In this "blog turned book" she uses a comic book style to tell the reader about funny stories from her life. It may seem like nonsense at first, but as the book progresses, you begin to realize that each story contains some sort of profound comment about the nature of being human. While making you laugh, Brosh also makes you think.

This was my first experience with a book in the "comedy" genre and I really enjoyed it. It was great to laugh while I read. It's also a great book if you have a short attention span. Each chapter only takes about ten minutes to read. If you like browsing blogs and social media, this is the book for you!


message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Walter | 1 comments I would recommend The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. This book is a mystery novel set in the distant future. A famed roboticist is found dead, and Detective Elijah Baley is called into investigate, while being forced to accept the help of an advanced android named R. Daneel Olivaw.

Isaac Asimov does an excellent job writing a story that is both an amazing piece of science fiction and a great example of a hard boiled mystery novel. What really makes this book shine; however, is the detail that went into creating his futuristic Earth. Isaac Asimov clearly asks himself how would people living in a vastly overcrowded, and completely enclosed society deal with day-to-day issues and what kinds of fears and taboos would arise from this sort of environment. Fans of American style mystery novels would probably enjoy this book. For fans of science fiction, this is a must read as is much of Isaac Asimov's other works such as I, Robot and his Foundation series.


message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana Wagner | 1 comments I would recommend Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Dr. Nick Trout. Dr. Trout is an small animal vet by trade and this is his first novel. He takes the reader through one [hectic] day in the Angell Animal Clinic in Boston. While some of the tone is serious, he has a light, comedic style that makes the book easy to read.

Dr. Trout talks about the complex relationship and challenges he faces as a vet - both in dealing with owners and animals. He also describes some of his most interesting cases, but no worries, nothing too gory. What truly captured my interest was his take on the human/animal symbiosis that has gone awry in modern times. He made me think about the way we treat pets differently - and it's now a current hot topic in animal behavior. Great book to ready if you love animals, are interested in behavior, or if you want to be a vet.


Manticorecreations | 1 comments I'd recommend Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life for anyone who likes comedy and/or geeky stuff or video games.

Its a semi romantic graphic novel about a fight between a girls 7 evil ex's and her new boyfriend


message 6: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Breece | 1 comments I would recommend I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert if you enjoy political topics and humor. He writes about (semi-)serious topics, and gives little humorous notes in the margins. His book shows the bias of both sides, and not just one so you can see from most people's points of views. I personally hate all literature, but this book was less hatred than the rest.


message 7: by Iyanna (new)

Iyanna Foster | 1 comments a child called it - my things got delete


message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick Budish | 2 comments I would recommend the book, Into the Wild, an animal book on surviving in a world of cats with an ever changing world. This book is just like our society because they are trying to survive in a changing world, in peace, but don't always get along. I liked this book because it was about animals and i love animals. This also interested me because the plot changes alot.


message 9: by Grandpa (new)

Grandpa Chase | 1 comments I would recommend the book, Walk Two Moons , because it is a story about a young Native American girl and her dearest memories being told by her. It's filled with a heart warming feeling that is there throughout the whole story. When you read it, you really feel as if you're reminiscing over the memories along with her. A beautiful interesting story.


message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Martinez | 2 comments I would recommend reading the book Night because it is very historical but is also very interesting to know the perspective of a person that went through a lot and to know where they ended up after there horrible and tragic journey during the Holocaust. I liked it because I wanted to keep reading it and reading it because it kept me wanting to know what was next and all the things that he had gone through.


message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Ramm | 2 comments I recommend Green eggs and ham by Dr. Sues.
It about a person finding would they really need in life,(greeneggsandham).


message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina Gonzalez | 1 comments I'd recommend reading Divergent and the books that follow. I'm currently reading Allegiant the third of the series. Divergent is a distopian book that has romance action and suspense. I could not stop reading it and if i didn't have school i probably would've read all three of the books in a week.


message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Budish | 2 comments Theodore wrote: "I would recommend I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert if you enjoy political topics and humor. He writes about (semi-)serious topics, and gives little humorous notes in the margins. H..."

I think this book would be a good book for me because i like comedies and when people fight its funny. I have not read this book.


message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe Ramm | 2 comments Theodore wrote: "I would recommend I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert if you enjoy political topics and humor. He writes about (semi-)serious topics, and gives little humorous notes in the margins. H..."

Thank you for this recommendation Theodore, I truely must read it as soon as possible.


message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Martinez | 2 comments this one seems really cool it has to do with a relationship and a girl who cant move on? hahahah


message 16: by Marquese (new)

Marquese Owens | 1 comments i would recommend where the red fern grows. it a good book about a little boy and his dog and the dog were real close and die together next to a red fern


message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments I would recommend Elixir because its about a book that is kind of like a dream in real life. I like how it has many different places where the story takes place and how the story and clues tie all together. It's a great book to read if you like romance, drama, mystery and action.


message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments I would recommend the book The Abarat. It is a really good book and hard to put down.


message 19: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Sanchez | 3 comments I would like to recommend a book called The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book is mostly about romantic relationships. This is a really good book that you will get hooked on to it once you read it. Its really intense when it get to the middle. Read it to find out what happens.....Dunn Dunn Daaa.


message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Scholl | 1 comments I would recommend "13 reasons why"
It has been my favorite book for a while now, and I read quite frequent. It's about a high school girl who commits suicide, and leaves behind tapes revealing the events that lead to her decision. It's a book that makes you rethink high school.


message 21: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Sanchez | 3 comments Iyanna wrote: "a child called it - my things got delete"

Really......


message 22: by Celery (new)

Celery Rose | 1 comments I strongly recommend The Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a very good read, even if you only read the first book. It focuses on a man named Arthur Dent after Earth is destroyed. The writing style and story telling is fantastic. The movie is good too BTW.


message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella Schultz (ellaschultz) | 1 comments I would recommend reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. This book is about two boys, both named Will Grayson, that are both dealing with problems in high school and their everyday lives, such as questioning sexuality, relationships and drama.


message 24: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Sanchez | 3 comments Cassandra wrote: "I would recommend reading the book Night because it is very historical but is also very interesting to know the perspective of a person that went through a lot and to know where they ended up after..."

This books seems really interesting mostly because I like book that have to do with history.


message 25: by Tonee (new)

Tonee Kassulke | 1 comments I recommend the book "Silence of the Lambs", by Thomas Harris. This is a great book that has suspense, will keep you thinking, and make you happy this is just fiction. If you like mystery, horror, and things that make you rethink your life decisions, this is the book for you. Only one other thing...its part of a series, and once you get addicted to it, you will want to read the rest of them.


message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1 comments I would definitely recommend The Maze Runner if you liked The Hunger game series or/and The divergent series. It is a science fiction book. The book is narrated by the main character. A movie is coming out really soon about it too so it would be a great book to read before the movie.


message 27: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Torres (gbbtrrs) | 1 comments I recommend the book "Hate List" by Jennifer Brown.
Valarie is a young girl in high school that recently experienced a school shooting. The shooter, her boyfriend Nick. Valerie is forced to return to school as a senior and confront her guilt. Valerie must confront her fears to move on with her life. This book will really make you think.


message 28: by Karlie (new)

Karlie Rutz | 2 comments I would recommend Divergent because I thought it was a very good book, the second one is just as good. Action filled, its one of those books you wont want to put down after page one.


message 29: by Mari (new)

Mari | 2 comments I would recommend reading "The Outsiders" by S.E Hinton. It's a really good book about rivalry against two gangs which are the rich and the poor. They have a movie too it's even better than the book .


message 30: by Karla (new)

Karla Gonzalez | 2 comments I recommend the book "Hatchet", by Gary Paulsen. It's about a boy who's flying to his dads house but gets in a plane accident. He has to learn to use things in the wilderness to survive. The book is named Hatchet because that is the only weapon that the boy has. He has to use survival skills in order to be able to be reunited with his parents, who just went through divorce.


message 31: by Karlie (new)

Karlie Rutz | 2 comments Meghan wrote: "I would recommend "13 reasons why"
It has been my favorite book for a while now, and I read quite frequent. It's about a high school girl who commits suicide, and leaves behind tapes revealing the ..."


I have been wanting to read this book for a while, it seems like a book that would continuously be interesting, and may make you think about the reasons and what they could be.


message 32: by Mari (new)

Mari | 2 comments Joe wrote: "I recommend Green eggs and ham by Dr. Sues.
It about a person finding would they really need in life,(greeneggsandham)."


I love that book "Green Eggs and Ham" . It's a great childrens book.


message 33: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Maglio | 2 comments I would recommend the book "The Hunger Games" because it is a action packed, thrilling novel to read. It keeps you on edge at all times and the ending really throws you for a whirl.


message 34: by Kendrick (new)

Kendrick | 1 comments I would like to recommend the book "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. This book is a mystery/ horror book. The book is very interesting and you should all read it.


message 35: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Maglio | 2 comments Brenda wrote: "I would definitely recommend The Maze Runner if you liked The Hunger game series or/and The divergent series. It is a science fiction book. The book is narrated by the main character. A movie is co..."

I definitely think this is something I will look into because of how much I enjoyed the Hunger Games. Thanks!


message 36: by Karla (new)

Karla Gonzalez | 2 comments Brenda wrote: "I would definitely recommend The Maze Runner if you liked The Hunger game series or/and The divergent series. It is a science fiction book. The book is narrated by the main character. A movie is co..."

How exactly is it like the hunger games and divergent?


message 37: by Connor (new)

Connor | 1 comments I recommend the Percy Jackson books. I read them in 8th grade and there probably the only books i would ever read again.


message 38: by Jazmin (last edited Apr 29, 2014 09:36AM) (new)

Jazmin Williams | 1 comments I'd like to recommend the book "Shooter" by Walter dean Myers, as it is a very suspense filled book having to do with teens our age and one particular teen having to make many hard decision having to do with peer pressure from one of his close friends. I enjoyed this book because it felt as though the situations happening in it could happen to any teen being that those are the main characters and it just feels as though its very easy to relate to because of that.


message 39: by Jake (new)

Jake | 1 comments I would like a book that has some kind of crazy conspiracy in it. a mind splitting story. a story that will make you say "Whoa what is this. this is insane"


message 40: by Jamira (new)

Jamira | 1 comments i recommend the roar, its a sci-fi, fantasy, futuristic world similar to x-men. i liked it because its suspenseful, exciting, and filled with fantasy.


message 41: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Cook | 2 comments I would like to recommend lovely bones by Alice Sebold, this is a very suspenseful book to read and will always have you on your toes. If you like suspense, romance and mystery, this book is just for you.


message 42: by Nick (new)

Nick G. | 1 comments Really if I ever read a book, it had to have been a really good book, because I don't like reading much for a hobby. The only two books I actually enjoyed were The Hunger Games and Divergent. Their a mix of all kinds of topics, of which makes it a good book of varieties and I think is recommended for most people.


message 43: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Cook | 2 comments Manticorecreations wrote: "I'd recommend Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life for anyone who likes comedy and/or geeky stuff or video games.

Its a semi romantic graphic novel about a fight between a girls 7 e..."


I watched the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the world but i never knew that there was a book! I might need to check it out.


message 44: by Diana (new)

Diana Serna | 2 comments Meghan wrote: "I would recommend "13 reasons why"
It has been my favorite book for a while now, and I read quite frequent. It's about a high school girl who commits suicide, and leaves behind tapes revealing the ..."


I would like to read this book because it sounds very interesting and it would make you think twice about how you treat others and how the way you act, can affect others.


message 45: by Gianna (last edited Apr 29, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

Gianna Pettis | 2 comments I want a book that is interesting and I won't want to put down. A book with love, suspense and mystery.


message 46: by Diana (new)

Diana Serna | 2 comments I recommend reading The Fault In Our Stars, because it's a good book and it's the type of book that you can't put down after you pick it up.


message 47: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 1 comments My recommendation for a book would have to be My Sisters Keeper. This book was given to me from my favorite teacher freshmen year and I loved it. It was very different from something I have read before, I thought it was captivating and inspirational. I have a sister of my own so I really related to it and thought how weird it would be if I were in this situation.


message 48: by Laren (new)

Laren Stadler | 1 comments hey guys im looking for a book that is a funny book, a crime book something like a slasher type thing, or a sports book


message 49: by Gianna (new)

Gianna Pettis | 2 comments Jazmin wrote: "I'd like to recommend the book "Shooter" by Walter dean Myers, as it is a very suspense filled book having to do with teens our age and one particular teen having to make many hard decision having ..."

I think a book like this would be good for a lot of teenagers to read and relate to. I've never read this but would like to.


message 50: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Foukas | 1 comments I would recommend "By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead" by Julie Anne Peters. It is well written, emotional, and relatable if you had struggled with hard times/depression.


« previous 1
back to top