Cozy Mystery Bingo Challenges! discussion

Archive > SCR1 Team 2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Kimberly (Gravy) | 2644 comments Mod
Team 2
Captain Ella's Gran (Lesley)

Ship Mates:
Donna
Staci
Kellene

message 2: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (last edited Apr 14, 2016 08:58AM) (new)

photo RST2_6.jpg

message 3: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

Welcome Team #2!

Please pick a team captain and if desired, a team name. If you have any questions about the game at any time, please let me know.

Have fun!!

message 4: by Lesley (last edited Feb 09, 2016 07:47PM) (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Ahoy there team mates! All ready for second chance?!

Our first shelf call is Wednesday so we'd better get ourselves organised with a captain and team name. Any suggestions?

message 5: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

I always post the theme in each team's thread for the start of the game. However, going forward, the Captain, or excited team members will be responsible for posting the theme for their teams!

Let's Get STARTED!!!

Week 1: BAKERY

Pie, Donut, Pastry, Cakes, etc. Bacon in the mix is a plus!

Happy Reading!

message 6: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

Uh oh!

Donna! Staci! Elissa!!
Where are you?!

message 7: by Lesley (last edited Feb 10, 2016 09:49AM) (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Whew! I am so pleased I read "that other" book for new to you author in the other game or I might have chosen it for this theme. That wouldn't have been a good way to start this game!! :)

Going to read Tastes Like Murder by Catherine Bruns

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Amelotte | 149 comments Hi everyone! This is my first time playing. I'm reading Meet Your Baker by Ellie Alexander.

message 9: by Lesley (last edited Mar 26, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Since nobody else has checked in yet, I'll assume the role of captain to reserve this space for recording the team's reading.

Week 1. Bakery 4/4
Lesley: Tastes Like Murder REVIEW
Donna: The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop REVIEW
Stacie: Meet Your Baker REVIEW
Kellene: Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti REVIEW

Free Space4/4
Lesley: Building Blocks of Murder REVIEW
Donna: Trudy, Madly, Deeply REVIEW
Stacie: A Batter of Life and Death REVIEW
Kellene: Ghost Gone Wild REVIEW

Week 2: Holiday 4/4
Lesley: Hail to the Chef REVIEW
Donna: The Thanksgiving Day Murder REVIEW
Stacie: Murder in the Paperback Parlor REVIEW
Kellene: Dead, White, and Blue REVIEW

WEEK 3: Paranormal 4/4
Lesley: Inn Keeping with Murder REVIEW
Donna: What's a Ghoul to Do? REVIEW
Stacie: Pecan Pies and Homicides REVIEW
Kellene: The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library REVIEW

WEEK 4: Jokers Wild 4/4
Lesley: The Marriage Casket REVIEW
Donna: A Haunted Murder REVIEW
Stacie: Ripped From the Pages REVIEW
Kellene: In Sheep's Clothing REVIEW

WEEK 5: FARM 3/4
Lesley: Death By A HoneyBee REVIEW
Donna: Snoop to Nuts REVIEW
Stacie: One Foot in the Grove
Kellene: Give Em Pumpkin To Talk About REVIEW

WEEK 6: NEEDLEWORK 2/4
Lesley: A Deadly Yarn REVIEW
Donna: Quilt or Innocence
Stacie: Thread Reckoning
Kellene: Purl Up and Die REVIEW

WEEK 7: CULINARY 1/4
Lesley: Billionaire Blend REVIEW
Donna:
Stacie:
Kellene:

message 10: by Kimberly, Book Maven (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) | 1843 comments Mod
Ella's Gran wrote: "Whew! I am so pleased I read "that other" book for new to you author in the other game or I might have chosen it for this theme. That wouldn't have been a good way to start this game!! :)

Going to..."

Haven't heard of that book before. Sounds good!!

Stacie - that ones on my list. I've had several people recommend it! Enjoy playing your first round!

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Stacie!! So pleased you are here. You must have snuck in while I was setting up our recording post.
I have assumed the role of captain for now, and am happy to continue if that's okay with everyone. Unfortunately I am not too creative when it comes to a team name - any suggestions?

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments For Free Space I will read Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal

message 13: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 4931 comments Mod
Ella's Gran wrote: "For Free Space I will read Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal"

Lesley, I am starting the round adding books to my TBR. Sigh... So many books...

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Moondance wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "For Free Space I will read Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal"

Lesley, I am starting the round adding books to my TBR. Sigh... So..."

LOL. I'm doing the same Cheryl! I'm doing a shrink that TBR challenge, but for every one I read, I add at least two!!

How are you feeling now? Are you and your Mom all over the stomach bug?

message 15: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Ella's Gran wrote: "Moondance wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "For Free Space I will read Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal"

Lesley, I am starting the round adding books to ..."

We are. Thanks for asking. My office did not have heat for several days and we were closed to patients but guess who still went in. I was in surgery Monday and Wednesday. I spent about 6 hours in the office Tuesday. It was 49 degrees (what is that about 10 Celsius?) in the office. I saw a few patients and we actually did an office surgery. I was so cold when I got home!! I grabbed a few cats, wrapped up in a blanket and tried to read. I ended up napping instead. That works too!

Hope you are doing well. I look at your weather everyday and think that it would be so nice to be with you! My friend in Brisbane posts photos on FB just to make me drool.

Happy Reading!

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Moondance wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "Moondance wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "For Free Space I will read Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal"

Lesley, I am starting the ro..."

Yeah, our weather is being great, but I have to quietly say temperatures in the 35-38C day after day becomes a bit draining, particularly when it isn't our usual so our houses are not geared to cope with that.
Some days during the winter the heating will fail so I know what you mean about getting so cold. I find I get home to where the warmth is and become quite drowsy, often falling asleep. No cats to wrap up in, but my little dog is very happy to curl up on my lap and sleep with me! Great warmers in so many ways! :)

message 17: by Lesley (last edited Feb 11, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments WEEK 1. BAKERY
Read: Tastes Like Murder by Catherine Bruns
Finished: Feb.11
Rating: 3.5 stars
Tastes Like Murder (Cookies & Chance Mystery #1) by Catherine Bruns
Review: Having gone through a messy divorce, Sally returns home to open a specialty bakery business along with her long time friend, Josie. It isn't long before trouble begins and the woman Sal caught with her husband ends up dead soon after eating cookies from her shop.

The first in the Cookies & Chance series was a page turner right from the start. I enjoyed the author's smooth writing style she used to tell the story. The characters were well drawn and you came to know them and their backgrounds quite well in the solving of the murder.

Unfortunately there is that inevitable triangle, but I won't let that put me off reading more in the series, and more written by Catherine Bruns.

message 18: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments FREE SPACE
Read:Building Blocks of Murder by Vanessa Gray Bartal
Finished: Feb. 13
Rating: 4 stars
Building Blocks of Murder (A Lacy Steele Mystery #2) by Vanessa Gray Bartal
Review: #2 in the Lacy Steele mystery series. Lacy again finds herself embroiled in parallel murders spanning twenty years. The present day murder where one of Lacy's suitors is accused and arrested, and the discovery of a murder that occurred twenty years earlier in the building Lacy surprised herself by buying to save it being turned into a strip mall, were connected.

It's been a while since I read the first in this series - too long! Again this was an imaginative story well told with all the characters from the first book. I was a little perturbed when Tosh's brother, Keegan, arrived to visit bringing a threat of the dreaded love triangle between Lacy, Jason, and Tosh becoming a 'quadrangle'. Although I have to say, this triangle does provide an element of humour - thank goodness.

I'll not leave it so long before continuing with this series.

message 19: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

Lesley, I need to get back into the Lacy Steele series too!!

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments Bakery - I'm going to read Chocolate Pie Murder by Tom Soule and Ricardo Taylor. It got mixed reviews and I can't really tell if it's a bakery themed book or not but I'll give it a try.

message 21: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

Good Morning EG and Donna!

I sent messages to Elissa and Staci letting both know the game has started. I will keep you posted when they respond.

In the meantime, keep on rocking with your books!!

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments Sorry it took me so long to respond. Too much going on and I couldn't make up my mind about a book. lol

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments I'm going to have to change my Bakery book. Chocolate Pie Murder wasn't a book. It was only maybe 50 pages. Didn't realize that. Sorry.

I'm going to read:
The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop by A. Whiting

message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments That's J.A. Whiting

message 25: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Donna wrote: "I'm going to have to change my Bakery book. Chocolate Pie Murder wasn't a book. It was only maybe 50 pages. Didn't realize that. Sorry.

I'm going to read:
The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop by A. Whiting"

That was a bit annoying, Donna. But I think you will like the book you've chosen now. I enjoyed it when I read it for the last round as I recall.

I see from the discussion thread you are okay with the team name etc. Now you have arrived I am at least not feeling quite so alone in the desert! :) Enjoy your book. I'll look out for what you think of it.

New shelf call tomorrow!

message 26: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

Stacie wrote: "Hi everyone! This is my first time playing. I'm reading Meet Your Baker by Ellie Alexander."

There you are!!! hi Staci!!!

message 27: by Kimberly, I'm hungry (new)

I haven't heard back from Elissa. I'll give it a few more days...

message 28: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Hey Stacie, how are you going with your bakery theme book?

Remember you need to post in this thread the date you finish, your 1-5 star rating, a review and link to the title and author of the book you have read. When all of us have done that then we can get a stamp for our card.

You can read your free space book any time during the game. Let us know what you have chosen, and again post your review etc. when you have finished.
The rules for choosing your free space book are here -
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 29: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments New shelf theme is called tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what it will be.

Remember, if any of you have any questions just ask me. Only too happy to help you out.

Lesley

message 30: by Lesley (last edited Feb 17, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments This week's theme is ---

Week 2: HOLIDAYS

Easter, Mother’s Day, Labor Day Valentine’s Day, Bacon Appreciation Day, etc.
Happy Reading!!!

For those that don't know, Kimberly luvs her bacon!!!!!

message 31: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments For Holidays I'll be reading Hail to the Chef by Julie Hyzy
Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy

Thanksgiving through to Christmas preparation.

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments Here is my review for my bakery book The Sweet Dream Bake Shop:

I really enjoyed this book. It was a very easy read. Great setting and lots of lovable and not so lovable characters. Angie owns a bake shop in Sweet Cove, Mass. Her building has been bought so she has to move her shop. On top of that one of her favorite customers is poisoned. The customer left her Victorian house to Angie in her will which makes Angie the main suspect. It is up to Angie and her sisters to find out who the killer is and it seems like several characters have a secret. Even though the story ended kind of short, there are still plenty of mysteries and strange characters to deal with. I plan on reading the next book in the series.

message 33: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Donna wrote: "Here is my review for my bakery book The Sweet Dream Bake Shop:

I really enjoyed this book. It was a very easy read. Great setting and lots of lovable and not so lovable characters. Angie owns a b..."

Pleased you enjoyed this book too. I have the next one 'saved' for when/if the next in series shelf is called.

Liked your review too. I just need you to add the date you finished and your 1-5 star rating to it please.
Thanks
Lesley

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments I did on the Home page of Goodreads. I always go in and review and rate and then I copy the review and paste it here. Am I suppose to do it somewhere else? I never have.

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments 4 Stars and finished 2/17/16

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna | 743 comments My Holiday book will be: The Thanksgiving Day Murder by Lee Harris.

My Free Space will be: A Haunted Murder by J.A. Whiting.

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Donna wrote: "I did on the Home page of Goodreads. I always go in and review and rate and then I copy the review and paste it here. Am I suppose to do it somewhere else? I never have."

In the How to Play the Game thread the rules Kimberly has posted say
After you've read your chosen book, post your read date, rating (1-5★) and review on your team thread. Be sure to state which shelf you read for, along with your rating and review.

Once all members of your team have read, rated and reviewed a book from that shelf, your team will get a star in that box.

You can have a look at my reviews, or those in other teams, for an idea on how they do it. I copied how Cheryl did it when I started. :)

message 38: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Ella's Gran wrote: "Donna wrote: "I did on the Home page of Goodreads. I always go in and review and rate and then I copy the review and paste it here. Am I suppose to do it somewhere else? I never have."

In the How ..."

Lesley, you are too cute! Although I must admit that I copied Steph on SOS when I started with Bingo. I always thought it was neat to have the first line of the book in the review.

message 39: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Amelotte | 149 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Hey Stacie, how are you going with your bakery theme book?

Remember you need to post in this thread the date you finish, your 1-5 star rating, a review and link to the title and author of the boo..."

Hi Lesley! Hi Donna! Sorry for the delay. It's been a crazy week. I just started a new infusion treatment for my Crohn's disease and my body and my mind are still adjusting. Reading cozies is what helps me cope and keep my sanity. I finished Meet Your Baker so I just need to write my review. Hoping to do that tomorrow. For my free space, I'm reading A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2) by Ellie Alexander by Ellie Alexander. Holiday theme, Murder in the Paperback Parlor (Book Retreat Mysteries, #2) by Ellery Adams by Ellery Adams (Valentine's Day). Hoping to have everything caught up by the end of the weekend.

message 40: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Stacie, that's no good. Crohn's is a nasty disease, so I hope you get worthwhile relief from the new treatment. Good that you can lose yourself in cozies to cope.
Hope you are soon feeling much better. Lesley

message 41: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Hope the treatment helps, Stacie. Crohn's is evil! Sending healing thoughts.

message 42: by Kimberly, Book Maven (new)

Hugs Stacie. I hope the new treatment offers you some much needed relief soon!! Love your book picks. Those are all on my wish list so I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

message 43: by Kimberly, Book Maven (new)

I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!

message 44: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

It's called OCD...

message 45: by Kimberly, Book Maven (new)

Moondance wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

It's called OCD..."

I definitley thrive in an OCD world!!

message 46: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Moondance wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

It's called OCD..."

Thank you for the PBS offer! I have a few things on your wishlist I need to send your way.

message 47: by Kimberly, Book Maven (new)

Moondance wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Moondance wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

It's called OCD..."

Thank you for the PBS offer! I have a f..."

Love PBS, but it's even better when you can trade with someone you know!

message 48: by Moondance, Book Maven (new)

Donna wrote: "My Holiday book will be: The Thanksgiving Day Murder by Lee Harris.

My Free Space will be: A Haunted Murder by J.A. Whiting."

Hello! Happy Saturday! Connie sent me a picture of Donnie. What happened to the little boy? Hope you get to spend time together before he heads back to San Diego.

message 49: by Linda (new)

Linda (Rudylkr) | 1006 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

I think quite a few of us are guilty of copying Cheryl's layout myself included. Plus any of my good captaining skills were learned from her too.

message 50: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1152 comments Linda wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm guilty of copying Cheryl's layout too!!"

I think quite a few of us are guilty of copying Cheryl's layout myself included. Plus any of my good captaining skills were learned fr..."

Ditto many times!!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6