Cozy Mysteries discussion

Buddy Reads > Cozy cat mystery buddy read?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sunny (new)

Sunny Min-x | 3 comments I just read two different ones and would love to talk about them! Or, at the very least, learn of some good ones. let me know#

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 152 comments Do they have to be co-equal buddies or can they just be part of the book?

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I read a lot of cat mysteries. The next book in the Sunny and Shadow series is due out in May Last Licks by Claire Donally Claire Donally I waiting to read it. Also I am looking forward to Leanne Sweeney next Cats In Trouble series. Leann Sweeney

message 4: by TE (new)

TE (jeannette-marie) We just moved, so my reading has been interrupted, but so far I'm enjoying the first of the Bookmobile Cat series Lending a Paw: A Bookmobile Cat Mystery

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments A good number of Marian Babson's books feature cats. They are not a series, but still very well done. So far, I think The Diamond Cat has been my favorite.

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Nettie wrote: "We just moved, so my reading has been interrupted, but so far I'm enjoying the first of the Bookmobile Cat series Lending a Paw: A Bookmobile Cat Mystery"

I have read it and the next one is on my TBR List.

message 7: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I really enjoyed Murder at the Cat Show by Marian Babson .

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 26 comments I've just got a mystery called Catwalk by Sheila Webster Boneham, but I haven't read it yet.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly Calhoun (hcalhoun) I love the Cats in Trouble Mysterys, by Leann Sweeney. I'm going to get the series by Heather Blake next, I forget what that one is called.

message 10: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) The Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun is pretty good!

message 11: by Blanche (new)

Blanche Manos (blanchedaymanos) | 14 comments You are right, Wolfrott, the Cat Who Series by Lilian Jackson Braun is excellent. I read each of her books and was really sorry when she passed away. She was working on another book at that time that was never finished. She wrote intriguing books for many years.

message 12: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I just finished THE CAT, THE SNEAK AND THE SECRET by Leanne Sweeney the secret unusual. You will like Magpie. Like always it is an excellent book.

message 13: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I read most of the Cat Who mysteries; however at one point the writing changed and I stop reading unless I got a copy free.

message 14: by Blanche (new)

Blanche Manos (blanchedaymanos) | 14 comments Betty, I know what you mean. I saw that too but I think it must have been when Lilian Jackson Braun was not feeling well. She lived to be in her 90s and kept writing as long as she could.

message 15: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments To change subject any one read the Joe Grey series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. I have read them all many times.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 69 comments Betty wrote: "I read most of the Cat Who mysteries; however at one point the writing changed..."

Yes her last few books were certainly of a poorer quality. I wonder if someone else was 'helping' as her health deteriorated. I love all the rest of her books and re-read them regularly.

message 17: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Another cat series not mention is Rita Mae Brown Mrs Murphy books. I have read most enjoy them.

message 18: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I have read of Curiosity thrill cats but the last. I enjoy them all.

message 19: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 413 comments I really like the Black Cat Bookshop Mysteries by Ali Brandon. The first one is Double-Booked for Death. So far there are four published, with a fifth coming in November. I have read all of the Cat Who series too, and liked it a lot.

message 20: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Read all of the Black Cat Bookshop mysteries and looking forward to the next.

message 21: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments You can go to my Wordpress blog and type in the search engine for Cats and find all my reviews. I t will work for dogs also
http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

message 22: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) I had no idea Lillian had passed away untill I joined this group, I have been lout of the loop for a few years (try a decade) due to my health concerns.

I wouldn't be surprised if she used a ghost writer. Most do. I think JK Rowling admitted she used a ghost writer.

Are there any cat mystery books in which the author actually understands and recognises how cats behave, like Lillian's, or even better? Realistically, no 'anthropomorphicism' for sake of comedy relief or to use to the human characters' advantage?

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments I really like Rita Mae Brown and her books, they are really great.

message 24: by Elaine (last edited Sep 07, 2015 06:13AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Mary wrote: "Geez J.K. Rowling? How disappointing."

Rest assured, she has never admitted to having a ghost writer. She has admitted to being the pseudonym/pen name behind the The Cuckoo's Calling (Robert Galbraith series) but that's not the same thing.

message 26: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 71 comments Holly wrote: "I love the Cats in Trouble Mysterys, by Leann Sweeney. I'm going to get the series by Heather Blake next, I forget what that one is called."

Leann Sweeney is a talented writer. You will enjoy her books.

message 27: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 71 comments Barbara wrote: "Yay, a thread for cat cozy mysteries. I enjoyed the Cat Who Could Read Backwards The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun and want to read the whole The Cat Who series. My Aunt sent me a..."

I love The Cat Who series. It is one of my top favorites. And it is a ton of laughs at times.

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments Annamarie wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Yay, a thread for cat cozy mysteries. I enjoyed the Cat Who Could Read Backwards The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun and want to read the whole The Cat Who series. M..."

I will be starting The Cat Who Went Underground in the next couple of days. I really enjoy this series too. My other favorite is the series by Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown .

message 29: by Chris (last edited Apr 01, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

Chris | 14 comments I have so enjoyed the Cat Who books on audio. It's the kind of books I want to live in and never come out. Well, sometimes.

There is a mediocre good series called Booktown Mystery by Lorna Barrett I've been listening to. Narrated by Cassandra Campbell, whom is fantastic. There is a cat in the bookstore, and so Barrett's books are touted as a sort of "cat mystery book". However, I'm on the 4th book, and Miss Marple doesn't exactly play a key role. And her owner doesn't pay much attention to the poor cat.

message 30: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments My favorite starts with Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1) by Sofie Kelly Curiosity Thrilled the Cat I love Sofie Kelly's understanding of cats. I am patiently waiting for the next one in the series.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris | 14 comments I'll have listen to one of those books. Thanks for mentioning them.

message 32: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments I have listened to some of the audio books for the Sofie Kelly series and they're well done

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris | 14 comments Wolfrott wrote: "The Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun is pretty good!"

Just "pretty good"? HA! The best! LOL
I so enjoy the audiobooks read by George Guidall.

message 34: by Juli (new)

Juli (juliwy) | 38 comments I'm glad they have a lot of cozies with cats in them....I love them and read them all the time! Magical Cats, Second Chance Cats, Bookmobile Cat, Cat in the Stacks....I'm a sucker for any of them. :)

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments I like the Laura Levine series. Her cat "Prozac" does not play a big part in the books, but she is always mentioned and reminds me of my little kitty.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol Perry (caroljperry) | 90 comments Try any of the Witch City Mysteries. O'Ryan - a wonderful cat - stars in all of them.

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Rockwell (par2323) | 24 comments Anna Kern has two lovely cozies with a cat narrator named Murphy. The first is A PAWS-IBLE THEORY and the second is DEADLY DIAMOND.

message 38: by R.B. (new)

R.B. | 14 comments There are a lot of cat mysteries I noticed, I'm currently reading A Tale of Two Kitties.

message 39: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Yes, a number of new cat books are out. My WordPress blog and Goodreads have reviews. I would type in Cat mysteries in the search function to pull the them.

message 40: by R.B. (new)

R.B. | 14 comments As a cat lover after I got into cozy mysteries I was thrilled to discover there are so many about cats, but I should stop adding new ones to my to-read list as I already have too many!
Sometimes I tell myself I should read at least a few before adding a new one, then I see them on the suggestions corner and just add them automatically.

message 41: by R.B. (new)

R.B. | 14 comments Some of those challenges also have individual groups here on GR, it's a lot easier to just join the group when you don't have a blog.

Cat Mystery Readers (The Purrfect Reading Challenge) - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
What An Animal Reading Challenge - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 42: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3842 comments Mod
It's in the side of the blog, it's how I've reached it this morning.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Bogush | 13 comments i have been doing Oxford Tea Room mysteries and they revolove around a kitty. I love them