paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

Hive (Hive, #1)
This topic is about Hive
group reads archive > hive 100% spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
This is our may poll winner. Who all is joining?

Scott (ttownscott) I'm in!

message 3: by Justin (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:05PM) (new) - added it

I have this one and may join in but I'm not really a fan of lovecraftian even if it is Tim Curran. I haven't decided if I'm joining yet

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Not sure if I'm joining yet. Really want to read it but have too many other books to finish.

Deborah (brandiec) I'm going to try, but like Kate, I have a ridiculous number of books to read already.

message 6: by Justin (new) - added it

Deborah wrote: "I'm going to try, but like Kate, I have a ridiculous number of books to read already."

Why vote for it then?

message 7: by Justin (new) - added it

Anyone know which lovecraft book this is a sequel to. At the Mountains of madness right?

Deborah (brandiec) Because I want to read it, own it, and like to participate in group reads. Why wouldn't I want to have input into the group read choice if there's a chance I will be able to participate?

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I'm definitely reading it! Very excited.

message 10: by Addy (new) - added it

Addy | 1944 comments I didn't vote for this one, but I do have it. I've heard of some ppl who didn't like it, so I feel undecided at the moment. Plus its lovecraftian and I'm not a fan. We'll see.

message 11: by Addy (new) - added it

Addy | 1944 comments Yes, its Mountain of Madness. Should this be read first?

message 12: by Addy (new) - added it

Addy | 1944 comments Whoops, I mean At the Mountains of Madness. I have this one as well.

message 13: by Justin (last edited Apr 28, 2014 05:55PM) (new) - added it

I'm sure it is somewhere in the giant collection of hp lovecraft that I have. I will see how long it is and try to get through it so I can join. No promises though. The last hp lovecraft I started was so I could read an unofficial sequel by Edward Lee and I never got through that one.

message 14: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Undecided as well. I've done very little reading these last months and have a huge backlog.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I'm in.

message 16: by Robert Krone (new)

Robert Krone | 157 comments Don't know if I'll join in, have other books I need to read and review, and may be busy outside of that. Had so much distracting me this that I haven't even gotten to April's group read.

I do have this title since I got it when it was free, so it is possible. Haven't been a big fan of Curran for the most part though, so we'll see.

message 17: by Addy (new) - added it

Addy | 1944 comments I think I'm gonna skip out. I just got a buttload of paperbacks...yay! Plus I have a huge book sale to attend to in the coming week. Need to start reading some of them. I'll peek at the thread anyway.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Hive was AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS and THE THING at the same time; at least that's what i gathered after 50 pages or so. This should have been awesome but wasn't.

It is heavily Lovecraftian which I normally love but this book had me thinking "Get your own damn mythos and stop retelling the Old Ones. We get it. They're Old.

Curran's own original ideas far exceed his attempts at mimicking Lovecraft. I may put this one on the permanent back burner.

message 19: by Justin (new) - added it

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Hive was AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS and THE THING at the same time; at least that's what i gathered after 50 pages or so. This should have been awesome but wasn't.

It is heavily Lovecraftian whi..."

Ok, I'm out.

Wow, I've started and I absolutely love it. Atmospheric and creepy.

Scott (ttownscott) I'll start it tomorrow. Glad to hear a positive comment!

message 22: by Maxine Marsh (last edited May 04, 2014 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmmm, I wonder if others will be reading the same edition as me, it seems that the older editions are about half the length and he added back in material when it was published with Severed Press. My ecopy is about 482 pages, the other version is about half that.

Scott (ttownscott) I have the larger copy as well since I have Amazon Automatic Book Update enabled.

I got my version when it was free on Amazon.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments Maxine, I have the same copy as you. I got it back when it was free from Amazon too. It just might be the three of us.

Looks like it :)

Deborah (brandiec) I'm in, too.

Deborah (brandiec) 11811 (Eleven)'s description is spot on. I haven't given up, but I hope Curran is going to introduce some new element.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I have read to the 25% mark.

message 30: by Justin (new) - added it

25% spoilers after this comment.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments I'm still following spoilers hoping for incentive to pick this up again. If not, at least I'll have the Cliff Notes version right here in this thread :)

Scott (ttownscott) Well, I'm up to 5%. I'm liking the very early stages.

message 33: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited May 05, 2014 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments For me the book really started to pick up after page 60. I'm currently on chapter 21, page 93.

Eleven thanks for the review of the book. It kind of put me off from reading it so when the book started to take off for me, it was a pleasant surprise.

Scott (ttownscott) If I get ahead on this book, I may read some of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket / An Antarctic Mystery which was partial inspiration to At The Mountains of Madness.

Deborah (brandiec) From the 31% mark to the 43% mark is an "Interlude" consisting of the diary of Arthur Blackburn, a previous explorer of the frozen city. I could barely stay awake through it and am wondering why Curran included it. Does anyone know whether this was the 70,000-word section he added back to the Severed Press edition? If so, I certainly understand why it was cut from the original version.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments Rachel wrote: "For me the book really started to pick up after page 60. I'm currently on chapter 21, page 93.

Eleven thanks for the review of the book. It kind of put me off from reading it so when the boo..."

Of course it gets better a few pages after I gave up lol.

Scott wrote: "If I get ahead on this book, I may read some of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket / An Antarctic Mystery which was partial inspiration to At The Mountains of Madness."

That's interesting Scott, I may look into that too. I loved At The Mountains of Madness and would like to see what inspired it.

Scott (ttownscott) I'm at chapter 12 right now. Probably just before the boring part. The setup has been good so far. I like the inclusion of the 50 degree large underground lake.

Scott (ttownscott) I'm at the 21% mark, chapter 18. I can't say that I have found any boring parts. It's been pretty riveting so far. They have been attacked by the Shoggoth and North's impersonator is on the loose.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I agree with you Scott. It was a little slow at a few parts but then after page 60 it's been go go go.

I'm stopping for now at 25%, but its right in the middle of the action with Gates' quest to take out North and Holm.

message 42: by Justin (new) - added it

50% spoilers from here

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments I'm at 50% right now. This last chuck seemed like a repeat of the first but I thought was helpful in seeing the progress of the insanity. It really did seem like wash, rinse, and repeat.

With that said, I did think the diary was useful because when going into their present day, they did refer to it.

Scott (ttownscott) Just started back in to it this morning. Maybe 27% nothing special yet.

Can't wait to get back to this, I've been stuck in Clash of Kings for a couple days :)

Scott (ttownscott) I'm about 33% into it. In the middle of the diary. It's interesting but I could see why an editor of the first release of the book would have cut it out as superfluous.

I liked the part just before the diary when the scientist (forgot his name) was heading back to camp in his snow cat and went backward in time! And that big blob rolled over him.

Scott (ttownscott) Maxine, I'm hoping to get to 50% on this by Wednesday then pick up Storm of Swords.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments Maxine, I totally understand. I had spend a few days just for A Clash of Kings to get ready for Storm of Swords. I am going to start that soon but have been trying to finish Anathem (981 pages).

There are parts in the diary that I was like oh goodness. I agree with you Scott about why an editor would cut it.

It's a nice progression to see. Keep with it. When you get towards the end of the diary you'll start liking it more.

message 49: by Justin (new) - added it

75% spoilers from here

Scott (ttownscott) I'm at 55% section 4 "The Haunted and the Possesed" The end of section 3 was pretty good with old ones discovered in the lake and their spirits walking through walls.

« previous 1