The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Attack on Titan Coming to Cartoon Network

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Rejoice, fans of ultra-violent Japanese animation, for Cartoon Network is going to start airing the English dub of Attack on Titan next Saturday (5/3) at 11:30 PM.

A century after the Titans, a race of man-eating giants, first appeared, the last remnants of humanity live behind a massive wall they believe will keep them safe. But when a 50 meter tall Titan shows up, humanity receives a harsh reminder that their wall in nothing more than a cage, and they themselves are cattle. As the Titans push humanity to the brink of extinction, only the military's elite Survey Corps stands a chance of stopping the Titans' onslaught.

At last, America will know the awesomeness of Levi, Mikasa and Potato Girl.

message 2: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments I really don't get the appeal of Attack on Titan. Smiling giants, ultra violence, and an angry teen raging against the world. There are a many far better series out there. I've watched about 10 subbed episodes of AoT before giving up on it out of annoyance.

It very much reminds of Gantz which is another ultra violent and disturbing series. In fact the final Gantz arc involved giant alien invading earth that ate people.

message 3: by Sean (last edited Apr 28, 2014 02:13PM) (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Alexander wrote: "I really don't get the appeal of Attack on Titan. Smiling giants, ultra violence, and an angry teen raging against the world."

Nobody watches the show for Eren. I doubt he'd make a Top 10 list of the most popular characters.

I mean, there's a comedy spin-off manga, and the running gag is that he's a racist idiot that nobody likes.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
Screw Eren. But Mikasa is awesome.

message 5: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Huh, I wonder if a good dub would make Eren more palatable.

Probably not.

message 6: by Quinton (new)

Quinton (asagecalledq) | 7 comments Love that show. It's just so human. IDK how else to describe it.

message 7: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments I think that horrible smile the giants have hits you on a subconscious level. The mystery of the giants is certainly part of it.

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Zayne wrote: "I'm kind of worried about this whole dubbing thing. I don't know how it is for everyone else, but dubbed anime makes me groan. It ruins the experience of the show for me. "

That was me 20 years ago. Hell probably until maybe 5 years ago.

The idea of watching Anime in English was cringeworthy, but I've met some of the English voice actors/directors/script writers Funimation uses at Otakon and they are very dedicated to turning out quality translations.

I still prefer watching in Japanese with subtitles when I have the time, but for most things I'm perfectly fine watching in English now.

I credit Cartoon Network and how popular it has made Anime in English in the US. They could no longer get away with horrible translations, at least on the most popular stuff.

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Oh and anyone really put off by watching it in English, in addition to Crunchyroll having it subbed, Netflix does too

Personally I plan to rewatch it in English if I have time.

message 10: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Rocourt (krocourt) | 53 comments It's already on Netflix and Crunchyroll like Rob mentioned. But the show is just alright. The animation is good but the story and characters are bad. I think there are much better older shows that are more watchable than Attack on Titan. I kept waiting for the show to live up to its hype but it never did.

message 11: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments I'm exclusively a subbed anime watcher. I've just found more often then not in the past that dubbed voice acting is terrible, or they mispronounce names, or drop culture reference, or they give the characters completely different personalities.

I did come across a very cool Fan Made movie poster for the live action attack on titans movie the other day though.

message 12: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) I watched the first two episodes on Netflix. Man the titans are creepy.