The Sword and Laser discussion

Would you rate story ideas?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 314 comments Sounds interesting. I'd probably look at something like that.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments When multiple writers actually used the ideas and got published would there be problems?

Sounds interesting, but I dunno.

If I was going to write a story I would avoid such a list, both for plagarism accusations and because I think a writer should come up with their own ideas....

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments I might be a neat like writing exerercises list.

message 4: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments It sounds a lot like JukePop Serials, although they offer full chapters/portions of stories in progress. I've been reading The Watchmage of Old New York on there for a while now, and it's been really good. Other stories are good as well.

Anyway, might check the site out for ideas/overlap.

message 5: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Judging from the comments of several authors on the podcasts, this is a really bad idea if you have any serious interest in getting something published.

message 6: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments Plus, ideas are hard to judge independent of execution. Would you read a Jesus allegory concerning a surprisingly human-looking alien who crash lands in an idyllic Kansas small town? Not sure, but I'm loving me some Smallville and Superman comics.

The far out ideas are great, but it's the writer (or other artist) who brings it to life. The cliche "It was all a game" did pretty well as Ender's Game and I really can't tell the difference b/t the plots of The Lord of the Rings, The Sword of Shannara, and Star Wars but I love'em all.