CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Mini-Challenges > May's mini-challenge - On the Big Screen

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (last edited Apr 28, 2014 10:55AM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Read a book that has been turned into a movie.

Whether it's a memoir that was adapted for the big screen, a huge name author's sixth movie or a quirky independent film only loosely related to the original book, there are lots of great movies out there that were originally books.

Pick one book this month that has been made into a movie (or that is currently in production to become a movie). Be sure to share what you are reading with the group, and check out our Group Bookshelf for more recommendations.

Here are a few articles that might help you choose a title:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalder...
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Your-2...
http://www.ivillage.com/best-books-ma...

message 2: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Hay | 41 comments I failed at April's challenge... I was interested but never got around to picking up a graphic novel to read! I think this one will be a little easier though, I'm interested in reading Water for Elephants because I've heard a couple of people mention that it was good!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Kyra wrote: "I failed at April's challenge... I was interested but never got around to picking up a graphic novel to read! I think this one will be a little easier though, I'm interested in reading Water for El..."

The mini-challenges are simply a fun way to get everyone interested in reading something that might be outside their comfort zone. If you didn't complete it, that's totally fine. There will be plenty more that might suit your tastes more!

Hope you enjoy Water for Elephants. It is very good.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments I just picked up Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and This is where I leave you by Jonathan Topper and did not even know they were being made into movies. So I guess I am a little ahead of the curve for once!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Kyra: Water for Elephants is a really good one.

message 6: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Hay | 41 comments Jennifer and Liz, I can't wait to read it!
Angela - Gone Girl by Gilligan Flynn will be a movie as well and I liked Sharp Objects by her also!

message 7: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Hay | 41 comments *Gillian Flynn, sorry that's a strange one

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments Kyra, funny, I picked up Gone Girl as an audiobook two days ago, didn't know that was going to be a movie either, starting it today

message 9: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) Kyra wrote: "I failed at April's challenge... I was interested but never got around to picking up a graphic novel to read! I think this one will be a little easier though, I'm interested in reading Water for El..."

Water for Elephants was great. Hope you enjoy it.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Go figure I had completely forgotten about the May mini-challenge but had 12 Years a Slave on hold for a while (been hard to get now that the movie came out). So go me, I will actually be able to complete this challenge :)

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Jennifer wrote: "Go figure I had completely forgotten about the May mini-challenge but had 12 Years a Slave on hold for a while (been hard to get now that the movie came out). So go me, I will actually be able to ..."

Let us know how it is! I thought the movie was very good, but the books always tend to be better.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Penn (jenniferpenn) | 41 comments Liz: it was really good, very well written but you have to remember it was written in mid-1800 so the language is a but different but That's one of the things I like about it. I feel the book gave a deeper look at the true emotions of Solomon that the movie could only portray so much.

message 13: by Liz (last edited May 13, 2014 02:57PM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Thanks, Jennifer! I will probably pick it up someday but not anytime soon. I have way too many books I'm trying to get through as it is!

message 14: by Aerial (new)

Aerial Lejong (alejong) | 4 comments This is a great challenge! Most of the books I've read so far this year apply, but I'll have to find a new one. Maybe reread The Giver? It's always been a favorite and it comes out this year! Does anyone know when the library gets new releases? I've been wanting them to get Ron Rash's Serena, but still not there. That would be perfect!

message 15: by Lanette (new)

Lanette (prvrbs31gal) I've been out of the loop for awhile... took me forever to get through my last book (chapters were only 2 or 3 pages, so I'd read one before bed and that was it!)... but, I just finished last night so now I can choose something new. Will have to go check out my shelves and see what I can find (too many books!!!)

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Aerial wrote: "This is a great challenge! Most of the books I've read so far this year apply, but I'll have to find a new one. Maybe reread The Giver? It's always been a favorite and it comes out this year! Does anyone know when the library gets new releases? I've been wanting them to get Ron Rash's Serena, but still not there. That would be perfect! "

We tend to get most new releases but sometimes a few will slip through. You can always suggest items for purchase through our online form. We try our best to get anything that is recommended as long as we think it will get checked out.
You can find that form here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/sprea...

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Funny that The Giver was mentioned, I just finished it today. It's interesting because I have owned the book for a very long time and just never gotten around to reading it. Seeing that it would be a movie later this year I finally read it because of this challenge!

message 18: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews I finished my May Challenge book...Flowers in the Attic, and now I get to watch the movie. I have a sneaky feeling that the book was better. I vaguely remember watching the orginal movie with my babysitter when I was too young, but now I will be watching the new version from Lifetime.