In our opinion... discussion

Debates > Alcohol, legal or illegal?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Alyssa (castleofglass) | 2507 comments Mod
What do you think?

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audreybooklover) I think it should be illegal until your 20 or 21!!

message 3: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 533 comments It's a personal choice. I'll probably avoid drinking, but I don't judge those who choose to. It's not the drinking (as long as it has limits) I mind so much it's when people get drunk that gets annoying.

message 4: by Deaths coming (new)

Deaths coming torture mastrer-if you want someone torture he wil | 12 comments My self has a... Weird view on this. Have any of you been to Italy or France?

message 5: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

No, why?

message 6: by Deaths coming (new)

Deaths coming torture mastrer-if you want someone torture he wil | 12 comments Because they have an interesting age limit... 12 years old If I remember correctly but they have limitations on the amount of alcohol drunk. This to me is a very good system because this is how it would work. Kids would only drink on special occasions like Sunday lunch and when they do they only have their glass filled with a fifth of wine and the rest water this allows children to grow accustomed to it and get rid of the it is special and you are a rebel part of it. Plus when you are older they would treat it with more restraint because wine to them is nothing special. Now this is a debate waiting to happen

message 7: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Hmm, I suppose that's true. The thing is, is that kids can drink in America with there parents permission. This applies until they are 21 and can buy alcohol themselves.

message 8: by Deaths coming (new)

Deaths coming torture mastrer-if you want someone torture he wil | 12 comments Are you sure thay is a law? If it is then not many people know about it
I am Australian so I might be wrong. Plus while in Italy they are extremely lax about it and wine is more common. If you add to the fact that wine is traditionally a drink survived to Catholics which Italy is the centre of. You get a place where age doesn't make to much of a difference except with the amount. When you go to restrunts the people their will offer you wine and such while in America it is beaten into you that you can not drink it until a certain age. This also adds rebellion and I have to go now because of school bye

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I think that people should be able to drink just like they have freedom to chose other things. I mean, I don't think that kids should get drunk, but I feel that if parents hide alcohol from their kids, the kids will think it's taboo and freak out when they come of age and drink it. Like, Italian families drink wine all the time (from personal experience), and I don't know one Italian kid who thinks its crazy for people to drink wine. But if I mentioned something about wine to your average American kid, they might be like 'what!'

message 10: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

@ death, bye!

message 11: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Here's a link telling about alcohol laws in the US.
http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/Youth...

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) And I know that in Italy the drinking age is like 16 but they really don't enforce it.

message 13: by Basma (new)

Basma In my religion, drinking isn't allowed, so I don't really like drinking. However I think it shouldn't be allowed until your turn 21, parents permission or not. Ad even then, there should be a limit on how much you can consume. Drunk people scare me and are a danger sometimes.

message 14: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Well, I respect your opinion, but I don't necessarily agree with it. If its part of your religion, then that's fine. But I'm still underage and I've had wine and beer. I discovered that I hate beer, and only like a little bit of wine. So for me it was helpful to have a little alcohol, in that it helped me realize alcohol is not all its cracked up to be.

message 15: by Basma (new)

Basma I honestly wouldn't know, considering I've never had it. But then again, I'm not exactly the best candidate to decide on the rules for alcohol. :P

message 16: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 72 comments I personally will try to stay away for a wile. But thats mainly becuase alcoholism runs in my family. But I have nothing against people who do do it its there life.

message 17: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

That's good.

message 18: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 72 comments 16 is my age for drinking

message 19: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

BlackStar103 {Go Rot in Hell } {JELL0 4EVER} {Free HUGS!!!} wrote: "Alcohol actually tastes good tho."

Some of it does, personally I think brandy is disgusting.

message 20: by Alyssa, The procrastinator XD (new)

Lol :D

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) Didn't they try that in the 1920's?

message 22: by Stéphanie (last edited Oct 11, 2015 04:08PM) (new)

Stéphanie (stepinator) In most european countries you have to be 16 or 18. And parents are usually pretty tolerant. When I was 16 I was allowed to drink in the Netherlands legally (obviously did drink before that truly). Never abused it, and I learned how to drink from a younger age. I think that if you have responsible parents who only let you drink at home, and can properly teach you then it should be fine. I personally looooove myself a glass of wine or a nice beer. I think it is better to learn how to drink (at home under supervision) when your 16 than when you are 20 (without supervision), because when you are 16 you are usually not driving a car, or going out as heavily.