Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Hold Me in Contempt: A Romance
This topic is about Hold Me in Contempt
IR Author Discussion > Wendy Williams

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tea (last edited Apr 30, 2014 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tea | 464 comments Has anyone read this: Hold Me in Contempt A Romance by Wendy Williams ? I just found it on the "free pile" (read: books that we're not going review) at work and thought I might give it a go.

Only, I've been put off the two times I've tried to watch Wendy's talk show. Do her books have the same feel as her show?

Oh! I just noticed that this is apparently her first attempt at writing "no-holds-barred, down-and-dirty romance" (whatever that means*), so perhaps my question is irrelevant.

I've written this much, so I'll post, anyway.

*What does that mean? The book is marked "Romance" rather than "Erotica", but I generally avoid reading erotica, so...

Paganalexandria  | 4063 comments Tea, she did thank her writing partner, aka, ghost writer so it might turn out alright. Let us know what you think about it.

message 3: by Tea (last edited May 01, 2014 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tea | 464 comments Just a quick update: I haven't finished (and now I don't know when I will, all things considered), but I already know – somewhere around halfway through – that this isn't the book for me.

I can't like the lead characters, although I liked Kim well enough at first and (still) sympathise with the challenges she's facing.

However, I can't like King, her love interest, because of the way he's depicted: (view spoiler) And I can't like that Kim accepts these aspects of him without question. (I've dealt with similar men IRL, and it's a major turn-off for me.) I find it even harder to believe that the woman Kim appears to be at the beginning of the novel would accept such behaviour.

message 4: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Tea, if you haven't started reading it yet, let me know. I wouldn't mind doing a buddy read if you're interested.

message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Thanks for the heads up, Tea. I've been curious about how Wendy approached an IR book (or shall I say, her ghostwriter ;-)). I think I may move this down my list over to my 'curious - will read if I have some spare time' list.

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Ooops! Sorry Tea. I see you're already reading it.