CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Weekly Threads > Week 18: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) With the weather consistently getting nicer, is anyone else having a hard time justifying sitting at home and reading? Now's a good time to head to the beach with a book before the tourists inundate the area.

I'm almost done with Damned. I wasn't sure how I felt about it for the first third or so of the book, but it's grown on me. Definitely not Palahniuk's best, but still worth a read.

I'm also reading Red Rising because Scott Sigler compared it to Ender's Game and The Hunger Games. I love all three of those things, and so far I'm loving the novel. It's a dystopian, sort of superhero book for adults.

After finishing Carrie last week, I decided I want to work through King's bibliography in the order he published, give or take. So I've put Salem's Lot on hold and plan to crack that open when it comes in.

What is everyone else reading? And with May coming up, any ideas of what you might read for the challenge? (A book turned into a movie - a new post with more details will go up soon.)

Damned (Damned #1) by Chuck Palahniuk Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown Carrie by Stephen King 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments I just picked up Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and This is where I leave you by Jonathan Topper because they were recommended to me as well as The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau (I actually started this one on Saturday) and Here Be Monsters by Alan Snow (because the cover caught my eye today) Hope you all snuggle in and enjoy a good read during this yucky weather we are having!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 447 comments I finished reading At Grave's End and Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost (and bought the next two). I'm waiting to pick up the last book in the series on my trip. I'm also reading Drop 10, in hopes that it helps. I've given up on Team of Rivals though, at least for now. Not sure what I'm going to read next.

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci (tardis1974) I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was really good and got me out of my reading funk. I'm now reading The Graveyard Book, which is also really good.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Traci wrote: "I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was really good and got me out of my reading funk. I'm now reading The Graveyard Book, which is also really good.
..."

Both of those would apply to May's challenge. I believe The Graveyard Book is in preproduction right now.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Ann wrote: " I've given up on Team of Rivals though, at least for now."

I did, too. I really enjoyed it once I sat down and really was able to dedicate the time to working through it. But it's such a big book, and I had trouble reading it a few pages at a time, which is often how I read these days.

message 7: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Last night I finished Ender's Game at 3:00 A.M. I really liked it & also didn't see the end coming. I want to retread the last 1/4 of the book now that I know the ending since I will have a different perspective when I read it.
Just started the book Sent with the children. Book 2 is the Missing series by Haddix.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnajdoak) | 27 comments I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane last week as well as the first in the 39 Clues series Maze of Bones which my 11 year old had recommended to me : ) I've started The Grapes of Wrath which I have not read as an adult.

I'm thinking of picking up This is Where I Leave You for the May challenge and would recommend Wild (Cheryl Strayed) for someone looking for a suggestion for the May challenge.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Donna, I love The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm a big Gaiman fan and can't wait to see his Sandman series brought to the big screen.

I'm almost done with Red Rising. Has anyone else here read it? I'm really enjoying it and finding myself getting very attached to some of the characters. I don't know if I'll be able to wait for the next book to be released!

I also started listening to Ready Player One on audio, and I'm hooked. I was born in the late 80s so I was afraid I wouldn't get a lot of the references, but so far everything is explained so well that it's almost like I did grow up in the 80s. I may be biased, because I have a massive crush on Wil Wheaton, but the narration is superb.

Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments I loved listening to Ready Player One!

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Julie wrote: "I loved listening to Ready Player One!"

So good!