The Sword and Laser discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
The Martian has been Sword and Lasered?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments I haven't been around long enough to know if there's a S&L version of slashdotted. Well, maybe it's because it's just a new, hot book, but when I saw S&L was going to read The Martian I went to reserve it at my library. I am #22 in line. Lots of Sword and Laser fans in Maryland?

May end up just buying it so I can finally read a book along with the club.

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments Are we creating a wave or riding it? I read the Martian last month because of the online buzz and I was still 3rd in the line in my small town library.

Great book by the way, lots of sciency fun.

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Andy wrote: "Are we creating a wave or riding it? I read the Martian last month because of the online buzz and I was still 3rd in the line in my small town library.

Great book by the way, lots of sciency fun."

When I heard the beginning of the author interview on the podcast I thought I wasn't going to like it. When I heard the actual reading, I put it on my to-read list. I'll probably buy it at the end of the week.

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 306 comments I bought it on a whim a couple months ago when it was promoted on Amazon Kindle Deals because of all the buzz around it (and I think it was only $1.99 that day). I was pretty happy to find out it was going to be the laser pic for May. When I heard the reading on S&L, I got pumped. Sounds like a great book.

Timothy Pecoraro | 226 comments For the record Martian has been a HUGE hit since it came. It has an insane kindle rank and awesome word of mouth. So I believe we are riding the wave.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Another Maryland / DC fan. But yeah it seems like S&L is a drop in the bucket of attention that The Martian is getting.

message 7: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon | 12 comments I put the ebook version on hold a couple of months ago, before the author interview, and there was already a huge wait. Was disappointed that it was an epub version when it came up; I returned it immediately and will just go ahead and buy it.

(This was Maryland too.)

By contrast, Altered Carbon was easy to get after being selected as the pick.

Kristina | 588 comments It's totally worth buying... really great read. I broke down and baught it after finding out about the holds at my library, and i'm not sorry at all.

Michele | 1154 comments If you have a credit to spend the audiobook is really good - I think the narrator did a great job of portraying Mark, and all his moods and humor came through very well.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6698 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "If you have a credit to spend the audiobook is really good - I think the narrator did a great job of portraying Mark, and all his moods and humor came through very well."

It's been mentioned before, but you can get the audiobook for $3 if you buy the Kindle eBook for $10 first. That's slightly cheaper than the 1/month credit plus you also get the eBook.

Also, I'm in MD as well, but I haven't put in a hold for the book myself.

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments I am 106th in line at my local library. — While I would have liked to have read it along with the group, I think I am just going to wait for that wait to diminish and read the many other things on my TBR list.

Adelaide Blair At the Seattle Public Library there are 314 holds on 65 paper books and 103 holds on 28 ebooks. I am at 285 and 87. I will most likely be buying this month's selection if I just can't wait.

message 13: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Jon wrote: "I put the ebook version on hold a couple of months ago, before the author interview, and there was already a huge wait. Was disappointed that it was an epub version when it came up; I returned it i..."

That's the biggest reason went with the Nook vice the Kindle. When I researched checking out ebooks, I saw that epub was more prevalent.

Janet | 51 comments Also a large line in the Chicago system - I'm 13 away, but that probably means about 6 weeks.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2443 comments Whenever a new book is selected as an S&L pic getting hold of a copy is always an issue. The only choice is usually to buy the full priced version.

message 16: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments I will just add to the chorus of people saying that it's absolutely worth buying if you can afford it.

I did the audiobook and it was one of the best Audible credits I've ever used.

message 17: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Everyone always complains about nook books being more expensive. Went ahead and bought the book yesterday - same price on Amazon and B&N. I will say, however, one thing I envy about the Kindle ecosystem is that they seem to have gotten their sync thing working. I couldn't get my progress to sync between my Nook and Nook for PC or Nook for Android. Annoying.

message 18: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil (rucknrun) Eric wrote: "Everyone always complains about nook books being more expensive. Went ahead and bought the book yesterday - same price on Amazon and B&N. I will say, however, one thing I envy about the Kindle ecos..."

I have had the same issues with my Nook. I have been a loyal Nook customer too. I hate it but, I finally bought a Kindle Paperwhite and the syncing works all the time. It is a better product in the end.

message 19: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Neil wrote: "Eric wrote: "Everyone always complains about nook books being more expensive. Went ahead and bought the book yesterday - same price on Amazon and B&N. I will say, however, one thing I envy about th..."

Yeah, perhaps I'll get a Kindle when my Nook gives up the ghost. With Calibre's DRM stripping and ebook conversion it's not as though I'll lose my B&N books. I've been able to successfully convert Kindle books to EPUB My younger brother went from Nook Color to Kindle and he loves it.

message 20: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Yay, my comment was read on the podcast!

message 21: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil (rucknrun) Eric wrote: "Yay, my comment was read on the podcast!"

There is a great site called luzme.com that will look at your goodreads to-read list and notify you when there is a price drop on nook or amazon ebooks. Checks Apple and Google too but Amazon and BN are the only places I buy from typically.

message 22: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Neat. Is there any way to get books off of Google? Because that's the only way I'd buy from them. Got screwed over when Microsoft was selling books. Got about 20 or more books but multiple reinstalls left me without a working key and, therefore, without a way to strip the DRM. So $200-$400 in the toilet. Never again.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2443 comments Eric wrote: "Neat. Is there any way to get books off of Google? Because that's the only way I'd buy from them. Got screwed over when Microsoft was selling books. Got about 20 or more books but multiple reinstal..."

I avoid iBooks for that same reason.

message 24: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil (rucknrun) Eric wrote: "Neat. Is there any way to get books off of Google? Because that's the only way I'd buy from them. Got screwed over when Microsoft was selling books. Got about 20 or more books but multiple reinstal..."

That is essentially why I stick to Amazon and Nook. I know how to remove the DRM. Diesel is ok too. They sell everything DRM free. Luzme will track prices from there too, once in a while a book drops to .99 on there.

message 25: by Eric (last edited May 02, 2014 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Neil wrote: "Eric wrote: "Neat. Is there any way to get books off of Google? Because that's the only way I'd buy from them. Got screwed over when Microsoft was selling books. Got about 20 or more books but mult..."

Thanks for the recommend on Diesel. I'm slowly seeing more writers offer their books DRM-free (like John Scalzi), hopefully it takes off as they realize that at <1MB for most books, they're trivially found illicitly anyway, so it's not like the DRM is stopping anything.

message 26: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Neil wrote:"There is a great site called luzme.com that will look at your goodreads to-read list and notify you when there is a price drop on nook or amazon ebooks. Checks Apple and Google too but Amazon and BN are the only places I buy from typically."

That site is pretty much what I've been searching for. Thanks for sharing it.

message 27: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil (rucknrun) It is a great site. Will check Amazon wishlists and to-read list for books. You can set it to follow a series or an author. It is highly customization.

message 28: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Thames (sardonic) | 6 comments With regard to downloading Google Books; just go to Google Play 'My Books', hover over one of your books and there will be the 3 vertical dots/squares in the top right hand corner. Click to get options and one is download epub.

However, it's not epub. It's an Adobe .acsm file. So you download that, double click on it and it opens in your Adobe Digital Editions. Then you have go to your ADE file and get the epub there.

Whew!

The good news is Kobo's the exact same way. All you need is your Calibre Plug-In for ADE and you're golden.

As many problems as B&N has they are BY FAR the easiest to get your content from. Just go to your library and with "ONE CLICK" you've got your content.

I've only bought one book from Amazon and I'm pretty much done. I had to download Amazon's app to my PC to download my content. Strictly speaking I need ADE on my PC to get my Kobo and Google books but it is the same app for both and I use the same plug-in on Calibre.

I have never bought a thing from iTunes so I cannot speak to how their DRM works.

Oh, and I'm half-way through "The Martian".

message 29: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Thanks for that info. Now I know I can buy wherever the price is best.

Just got to 90%ish and I'm excited to see how it ends