Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Classic Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Hi everyone!

This is a thread specially made for reading short stories together. Anyone who wants to join in can do so, at any time.

I suggest we browse around and look for some short stories which we are curious about and make some sort of a list? I've never really set up a group read before, so please correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

Also, I included "classic" in the title, but I understand there is a lot of discussion about that term. But personally I see classic short stories as the ones written by classic authors, so people who have had some influence, wrote classical novel or any other sort of literature that is considered as a classic OR a short story that is really well-known on its own, I think. I don't want to put a date on it... But we'll see how it goes.

I haven't done an extensive research for short stories yet, but I found at least 1 website that provides a lot of classics.
http://www.classicshorts.com/

I hope there will be a few people who would like to engage in this and that we will have entertaining discussions. I've always felt like short stories are at least twice as powerful and full of mystery and questions than regular novels, so there's usually a lot to discuss.

message 2: by Kim (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:32AM) (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) A few of my suggestions :)

Ambrose Bierce
Beyond the Wall
The Boarded Window (Already read this one :) )
A Horseman in the Sky
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

James Joyce
A Little Cloud
Araby
Clay

D.H. Lawrence
The Rocking Horse Winner

Virginia Woolf
A Haunted House

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4812 comments Mod
I applaud your interest in short stories. I can recommend two:
1. The Game by Jack London
2. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

message 4: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments What a great thread, thankyou so much, Kim!

message 5: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) I suggest
The Masque of the Red Death By Edgar Allan Poe

And

The Ambitious Guest Nathaniel Hawthorne

message 6: by Mbondare (new)

Mbondare I would suggest
Desiree's Baby: by Kate Chopin

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
The Poor Clare by Elizabeth Gaskell

message 8: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) Kirsten wrote: "A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
"

I would also suggest this one. It is really good.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Everyday Use by Alice Walker

message 10: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments I just finished reading The Time Machine, that was pretty cool!

I love short stories, especially the classics - I sometimes feel like today's authors sometimes find it hard to compose a good short story.

message 11: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Leanne wrote: "I just finished reading The Time Machine, that was pretty cool!

I love short stories, especially the classics - I sometimes feel like today's authors sometimes find it hard to compose..."

I'm going to have to revisit that sometime in the future. I tried it when I was in 5th grade ... and I hated it :p. Maybe that wasn't a fair trial :D

message 12: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I'd like to suggest The Dead by James Joyce.

Also, my all-time favorite short story: Miss Brill by Katherine Mansfield.

message 13: by Kim (last edited Apr 29, 2014 12:23AM) (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Yay, it's fun to see that there are more people interested in this!

So, how do we choose what we will read first? Should we use a poll like with regular nomination topics? Or just take all the suggestions and list them in some sort of reading order?

And how many short stories can we plan per month? I think 1 every week could work, but since we are all reading a lot of other stuff as well, maybe 1 every 2 weeks? And of course you can skip one if you're not interested in that particular story.

Or should I just make a list in the first post with all the suggestion and just be like: pick one out if you feel like it. I guess that is the easiest for everyone, but I'm wondering if and how we will get to discuss the stories, when everyone is reading something else.

Also, I suggest that when we want to discuss a story, you just place the title of it in a regular message and hide all the rest under spoilers, so that when you are scrolling through, you don't accidentally read something of a story you haven't read yet and you can choose to read the discussions about the ones you have read.

If anyone has any ideas about how we should handle this as a group read, please share!

message 14: by MK (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:08AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Oh! Sorry for confusion, this won't be an official group read, with polls/noms/etc.

Many possible focus areas exist for an additional group read, but we can't add them all as official group reads (we currently have four group read sections).

We created this folder/area as a place dedicated solely to 'unofficial' book chat. These are threads that could have fit well in the Chit Chat folder/area, but, being a book club, it felt right to have a book chatter area all its own, where you could discuss any type of book, not just 'official group read' books.

Still working on the right name for the folder/area, to give it the right connotation.

Then, too, having this special sort of book corner, will give space for interest in a particular type of book to flourish. A sort of 'testing ground' to see if there really IS group interest in adding a fifth 'official' group read, and if so, what type/kind of book?

I just noticed that this might derail this great thread, dedicated to chat about Classic Short Stories. I will copy/paste it into a discussion thread, so let or can reply there with comment/ideas, if they'd like to. brb! :-) ...

Link to post - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Oh I'm sorry MK, I seem to have confused you! I didn't mean this as a "official" group read. I was just wondering how we could go about reading some short stories between us "buddies". :D

message 16: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kim wrote: "Oh I'm sorry MK, I seem to have confused you! I didn't mean this as a "official" group read. I was just wondering how we could go about reading some short stories between us "buddies". :D"

ahhh! good, I thought I'd enticed you to create your thread under false pretenses :D

Thx, Kim!

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) MK wrote: "Kim wrote: "Oh I'm sorry MK, I seem to have confused you! I didn't mean this as a "official" group read. I was just wondering how we could go about reading some short stories between us "buddies". ..."

It's just that I don't really know how to sort of organize this. But then again, maybe I shouldn't try to force it and just let it be, so that everyone can add titles and just read whenever they feel like and post a comment about a story whenever they've read one.

Maybe that'll be more fun? :D

message 18: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I understand the dilemma. Many options. I'm sure you will know what to do :D.

(heh)

message 19: by Larry (new)

Larry Wang The best short story writer in my opinion, is Flannery O'Connor. My recommendations:
- A Good Man is Hard to Find
- The Life You Save May Be Your Own
- The Artificial [Insert racially offensive term]

I also enjoyed Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and "Chickamauga" and Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "A Clean Well-Lighted Place". Rounding out my list would be "Bartleby the Scrivener" and "Benito Cereno" by Herman Melville.

message 20: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 4 comments Katherine Mansfield, Maupassant, and O Henry are my favourites.

message 21: by Maggie (last edited May 11, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Maggie | 125 comments Some classics that spring to mind are

- The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant – I think almost everyone has heard of the plot of this, even if they haven't read the original story.
- Happy Endings by Margaret Atwood – not sure if this counts as a classic, but I read it as required reading in school and I loved it.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) I read a few short stories for school, because I have to write a paper on one of them. (So they weren't of my choice!)

1. The Irish Incognito by Maria Edgeworth
Because there is no description of the story, I'll include one:
A young Irishman has studied the English manners and accent a lot and thinks that he can go to England and pretend he's English instead of Irish. His brother thinks it won't work and they make a bet. His brother thinks he will be discovered 8 times.
So this young man goes to England and everything goes well, until he is discovered by an Irish idiom... (That's mainly what the story focuses on, I had a footnote saying that the author had done a lot or research in Irish idioms).
As a language student I thought the theme was quite interesting, so I liked the story but it wasn't anything special.

2. Odour of Chrysanthemums by D.H. Lawrence
This story is about a woman and her two children who are waiting for father to come home from the mines, where he works. The woman is convinced he's late because he is drinking and will be drunk when he gets back...
I quite liked this one as well, but also didn't find it VERY good or interesting or special for that matter. It was just a sad story...

3. The Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield
This is about a rich family giving a garden party and the story sort of describes the work they put into it and there's very little said about the party itself. And also there's a man who died from an accident down the road and one of the daughters thinks they should cancel the party, which of course the others find ridiculous, and afterwards she brings by the left-overs from the pary to the house of the dead man and she sort of has a weird "revelation!"
But I liked the writing style and the character of the girl.

4. The Daughters of the Late Colonel by Katherine Mansfield
This was a very depressing story about their father who has died and they have some sort of issue with the kitchen maid (I think?) and it's just really sad.. Nothing really happens, they're just in the house and are terribly sad because even though their father was very difficult to live with they miss him terribly and don't know what to do with themselves.

5. Araby by James Joyce
Did not get this at all. It's very short and seems to be about a boy who has a crush on a girl and sort of "stalks" her because he is staring at her door all the time to see if she'll come out. And then there's a part about his uncle having to give him money... I don't know, I'm clueless lol!

6. The Dead by James Joyce
A story about a marvelous party and then a couple goes home and the wife is suddenly really sad about a poor guy she used to love when she was young and died and her husband is sort of weird about it.

7. To Room Nineteen by Doris Lessing
Now this story I really enjoyed! Which is why I will write my paper on this one! :D
It's about a woman who feels very stressed because of her household and she just wants time for herself and wants to be alone and away from it all. Eventually it ends very tragically...

8. Walker Brothers Cowboy by Alice Munro
Another weird story that I don't understand completely, but it wasn't bad so..
There's this family who used to raise foxes but it's the 1930's so they were broke and now the father works as a guy who goes to houses to sell stuff. And he takes his kids with him and make a detour to a woman who lives outside his territory...

9. The Prophet's Hair by Salman Rushdie
And this was the other story I really loved!
A greedy man keeps a stolen hair of the prophet in his house but it makes him a terrible person to his family. His daughters comes up with a plan to have the hair stolen by the best thief in town... (Ends with a lot of BLOOD!!)

By the way, I think all of these stories are easily accessible on the internet so you don't have go looking for collected short stories books in the library if you just want to read one.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg Kim wrote: " This is a thread specially made for reading short stories together. Anyone who wants to join in can do so, at...

@Caitlin,@Kelly, I agree with you - Katherine Mansfield is one of my favorite writers, and @Richard, Flannery O'Connor is just wonderful! Pretty much all of Dubliners was great too.

I would also add Katherine Anne Porter to my favorites list as well. I've read two full collections of short stories by her and loved both. I'll have to think a while about which story I like best though.

@Kim, I love this idea! Noticed a time lag in posts - hope the idea isn't dead. :)

message 24: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 9 comments When I think about short stories I always have three writers in mind: Kafka, Chekhov and Poe.

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4812 comments Mod
In the past few years I have become a much bigger fan of short stories. The authors I have enjoyed most are Jack London, Jeffrey Archer, and O. Henry.

message 26: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I agree with you Bob for a very long time I would not read a short story but now I find I enjoy them especially if I have just finished reading something with 800 or more pages.

message 27: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I love all of Chekhov's short stories. I've recently discovered Katherine Mansfield and enjoy her stories, especially Miss Brill and The Garden Party. From the American perspective, Eudora Welty and Willa Cather are also very good.

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I have to admit, I keep struggling with short stories, at least in collections. I think my problem is that I always try to read them like a novel, rather than tackling one story at a time.

message 29: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 9 comments Pink wrote: "I have to admit, I keep struggling with short stories, at least in collections. I think my problem is that I always try to read them like a novel, rather than tackling one story at a time."

I read a lot of shorts but I read 1 then take a break, then another - just look at my book read list lol

message 30: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Toropov Yes, Chekhov's stories are so gorgeous! I haven't read any of the other ones Duane has mentioned, I'll have to see if I can add them to my TBR list!

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments That's what I need to do Stuart. I've spoilt some collections for myself trying to race through them in the past.

Dave, I agree, I'm off to check out some Chekhov. In fact I'm sure I've got something by him on my bookshelf somewhere.

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Stumped...it wasn't a short story on my shelf, but this biography Chekhov

message 33: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Pink wrote: "I have to admit, I keep struggling with short stories, at least in collections. I think my problem is that I always try to read them like a novel, rather than tackling one story at a time."

That is probably my problem too…not many short stories that i truly like.

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4812 comments Mod
I picked up a couple of short stories this past weekend, The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe, which is our Old School read for next month. the other was There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury, both were very good.

Bradbury's was depressingly interesting and thought provoking, for me it was the best of the two.

message 35: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments The Bradbury story is the penultimate story in The Martian Chronicles which is a collection of short stories that has the feel of a novel.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4812 comments Mod
Duane wrote: "The Bradbury story is the penultimate story in The Martian Chronicles which is a collection of short stories that has the feel of a novel."

I have only read one of Bradbury's books and that was Fahrenheit 451. The Martian Chronicles is one I'm planning for my July Science Fiction reading(time permits). I read the story There Will Come Soft Rains from The American Short Story, this also has Rue Morgue and many more good stories.

message 37: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments Bob wrote: "Duane wrote: "The Bradbury story is the penultimate story in The Martian Chronicles which is a collection of short stories that has the feel of a novel."

I have only read one of Bradb..."

Wow! That's a 1200 page behemoth. Probably a lot of good short stories in that.

message 38: by Greg (new)

Greg Duane wrote: "I love all of Chekhov's short stories. I've recently discovered Katherine Mansfield and enjoy her stories, especially Miss Brill and The Garden Party. From the American perspective, [..."

I like all of those Duane. The two you mention by Mansfield are both superb!

As for Chekhov, I read his story [book:The Kiss|805654] a couple weeks ago and thought it was absolutely fantastic!

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4812 comments Mod
Duane wrote: "Bob wrote: "Duane wrote: Wow! That's a 1200 page behemoth. Probably a lot of good short stories in that...."

It does indeed, I should count them. I've been pleased with it so far and I am surprised at how many of the authors will be new to me.