Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Book chatter, what goes here?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MK (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:43AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments This folder is a place for members to discuss books that haven't been a group read. These are 'unofficial' threads for books. These threads will not result in nominations, polls, and none of the books discussed will go on our group bookshelf*.
(*except, of course, if a book later wins one of our 'group read' polls, then, of course, the book will go on our bookshelf, and the discussion thread will be moved to the official group read folder)

Some kinds of threads that might be appropriate for this folder are:
- Buddy Reads
- Types of books, ie Classic Short Stories you like/recommend
- A book you consider to be a classic that you love and want to share with the group
- A book you think will be considered a classic in the future
- Award-winning books, such as the most recent Pulitzer Prize winning book, etc
- Other book chat along those lines, that you'd like to feature in its own thread, within this section's folder :).

If you are creating a thread ~
- about a particular book, please associate the thread with the book using the 'This topic is about' field on the thread creation page, filling in the book name.
- about a particular author, please associate the thread with the author using the 'This topic is about' field on the thread creation page, filling in the author's name.

Welcome one and all! Happy reading &/or chatting!

message 2: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 9 comments Just a quick question

With Jane Austen, am I better buying a collection of her works of getting the Amazon free editions?

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 44 comments My experience. I downloaded the kindle version of Pride and Prejudice from amazon to read on the plane. I had a copy at home in book format and was able to easily switch between the two. Enjoy

message 4: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee | 45 comments I also have both digital and hard copies of Jane Austen's works. The reason why I decided to buy hard copies is that they are my favorite and I will periodically want to read a certain passage or chapter again. It is really difficult to find a specific passage in my kindle without knowing chapter numbers.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 6 comments Hello everyone! Hope you are well and choosing your summer reading (I have a bunch of classics in my own list that I will share later with the group! ). For now I just wanted to let you know that soon (next month probably) a new app, like Goodreads plus cool new features, will be launched, its name is Bookdean. It has been developed by a good friend of mine, its easy to use and very customizable for everyone's tastes and interests (I have had the chance to try the proof version). Anyways, I just want to say that a Facebook page was set up for the app (every day posts about books, classics and non-classics, are shared-so its a great place to find new reads too!). So if any of you has a chance please check it out, any support will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

message 7: by Vivien (new)

Vivien (thelobster_29) I'm completely new to reading groups. Could someone explain what a Buddy Read is?

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9424 comments Mod
Vivien wrote: "I'm completely new to reading groups. Could someone explain what a Buddy Read is?"

This is where you and one (or a few) people decide to read a book that is not one of the group's monthly choices. It gives you a forum to discuss the book.

message 9: by Vivien (new)

Vivien (thelobster_29) Thank you!

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Vivien wrote: "Thank you!"

Hope that helps. You can solicit people for a buddy read in this folder if you are interested.

message 11: by Vivien (new)

Vivien (thelobster_29) I just had to look up "solicit" - English is not my mother tongue. :D
I'm not looking for a buddy read right now, I'm just looking around and stumbled across that term. Anyway, it does sound interesting so I'll keep in mind and maybe come back to it later.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments By this time I'd be glad to do a buddy read for Heidi. It's been in the last couple of polls but never won. Yet there are people who seem interested. If you're interested, leave a comment here and I'll set up a thread for it!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'd be interested in a buddy read of Heidi, but I can't do it until December.

I'm all "booked up" for November, plate full of reading commitments this month.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I'd be interested in a buddy read of Heidi, but I can't do it until December.

I'm all "booked up" for November, plate full of reading commitments this month."

No problem, actually I have the same problem :)
I'll set the thread up, okay? More readers welcome!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

thank u Nicole for link

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4911 comments Mod
Sam and Andrea If you want you can set up a thread for Heidi in this folder, or I'd be happy to do it for you. You may also want to announce your planned buddy read in the Chit Chat folder in the What's Everyone Read Now thread it seems to get a lot of notice. Let me know if I can help. Good luck have fun!

message 17: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Re: Heidi buddy read. It is currently nominated again for January's old school read, with 4 seconds, so you never know....but it does just keep missing out on the top spot.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 309 comments @Bob: Thanks for the advice, I'll post comments in the mentioned threads! I'll get back to you if we need anything :)

@Pink: Mh, you're right, maybe we should schedule the buddy read for January so we can blend in with the official group read, should it happen.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I could wait until January.

message 20: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments January sounds good for me, too. I'd like to read Heidi, but I don't have that much time for it this year anymore, so next year is better :).

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Well, after a few hours Heidi is currently tied in first place with 5 votes....

message 22: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Any one up for a buddy read of Kristin Lavransdatter? I'll set up a thread if there is enough interest.

message 23: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Kathy wrote: "Any one up for a buddy read of Kristin Lavransdatter? I'll set up a thread if there is enough interest."

Brilliant. I'm in. :D I don't have time to start reading until January, but I would love to buddy read Kristin Lavransdatter. Especially since there are so many who have it on different lists this year :)

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Nov 27, 2015 12:41PM) (new)

Excellent -- Maybe February? I've got a couple of big books lined up for January. And we can use Sigrid Undset for our 2016 Bingo Challenge Nobel Laureate!

message 25: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Kathy wrote: "Excellent -- Maybe February? I've got a couple of big books lined up for January. And we can use Sigrid Undset for our 2016 Bingo Challenge Nobel Laureate!"

I actually have another buddy read lined up for February, so it then has to be late February early March. And absolutely. I checked to see if she won any other prizes, which she did, but they weren't litereary prizes. But that would be one square down for Undset. :)

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

March should work for me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I think I'd like to read the "Kristin L" book and join you two in March.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Great!

message 29: by Steve (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:14AM) (new)

Steve Finegan | 129 comments Anyone ever suggested The Gormenghast Novels for a group or buddy read? Anyone interested in this classic? I'm thinking spring. Takes time, so March-May, maybe. I don't know. Any thoughts? I'm not dead set on doing this, because it's a daunting read. But with buddies on board... who knows, could be fun.

message 30: by Bat-Cat (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Steve wrote: "Anyone ever suggested The Gormenghast Novels for a group or buddy read? Anyone interested in this classic? I'm thinking spring. Takes time, so March-May, maybe. I don't know. Any thoug..."

Hi Steve, I would LOVE to reread these books. I have read them all once already and they were fabulous. Spring of next year might work fine for me.

By the way, there is a Buddy Reads suggestion thread that you might put this one in so you can hopefully drum up more interest. ;-)

message 31: by Steve (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:40AM) (new)

Steve Finegan | 129 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "By the way, there is a Buddy Reads suggestion thread that you might put this one in so you can hopefully drum up more interest. ;-) "

Will do. Just wanted to test the waters first. I can't say I love the whole thing, but parts of it were just fantastic. Hey, re: Moby Dick, I responded to your most recent comments in the final chapters/spoilers thread. Really made me think. Really enjoyed this time around with MB. Truly a great book.

message 32: by Bat-Cat (last edited Jul 06, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Steve wrote: "Bat-Cat wrote: "By the way, there is a Buddy Reads suggestion thread that you might put this one in so you can hopefully drum up more interest. ;-) "

Will do. Just wanted to test the waters first...."

Yes, I remember Gormenghast having a few dry parts but my overall impression was that it was a remarkably fantastic tale. In addition to reading the trilogy I also read the 4th book, unfinished at the time of his death but completed by his wife from lots of notes he left. I'm not sure exactly when the 4th one came out. I honestly don't remember all the much about that one - we're talking probably 20 years ago. ;-)

I did see your response to Moby Dick and really enjoyed it. You brought up lots of interesting points and they have given me much to think about. I am quite busy with both my personal and business life in a very sporadic way - such that I have small chunks of time (and never at the same time of day) that I find to, hopefully, at least stay present with my GoodReads friends. So, if I don't respond immediately please don't take it personally. Maybe some day I will get caught up. :)

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve Finegan | 129 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I did see your response to Moby Dick and really enjoyed it. You brought up lots of interesting points and they have given me much to think about. I am quite busy with both my personal and business life in a very sporadic way - such that I have small chunks of time (and never at the same time of day) that I find to, hopefully, at least stay present with my GoodReads friends. So, if I don't respond immediately please don't take it personally. Maybe some day I will get caught up. :)
"

Hey, no problem. I'm in exactly the same boat. :) I wasn't aware of the 4th Gormenghast novel; I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments From my memory of the book, the lions reminded the old man of his younger and happier days, when he saw them growing up and they were a good memory for him. I'm sure there's probably some connection about them being a strong powerful animal too, maybe they reminded him of his strength in his youth.

message 35: by Nente (last edited Nov 16, 2016 04:22AM) (new)

Nente | 779 comments Steve, I took more than half a year reading just the first book, Titus Groan! But possibly a buddy read would be stimulating...

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments No Nobel Prize for Lit this year. It's for the best, as this is a prime example of what happens when ordinary people choose to sit down and do nothing in the face of extraordinary circumstances for a protracted period of time.

message 37: by Mark (last edited May 05, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Mark André They could have given it to James Joyce.
They still owe him one.