Backstory discussion

41 views
Debates > Gay Marriage

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Should gay marriage be allowed?


message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments I beleive fully in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. I feel if a person wants to be gay then by all means express it to it's fullest and if a gay male or female desires marriage then it should be included as part of Freedom of religion. Love is lvoe and if two guys or two girls feel comfortabel enough in one anothers company jsut as two straight people would then by all means they should have every right an other person has. Honestly I find the laws to eb quite stupid and ignorant. As far as I'm concerned we no longer live in te age where African americans had to win their freedom and therefore everyone should hold equal rights to do as they wish. If marriage is such a big deal to these people and they feel gays shouldn't be able to do it...then I will sign the first petition to appear that says Men should only be allowed so many children and when the government sees fit for it to happen...and women should only have the right to marry whom their parents arrange for them to. Women and men past the forty should no longer be permitted to bare children and those below the age of thirty should not be allowed to bare children otherwise suffering the death penalty for people in the society who cna't follow such rules deserve nothing bu such.

Naturally each of those statements is ridiculous and seem crazy to ever think possible, but hey if gay marriage seems crazy and unthinkable why not add some of those laws as well?


message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments Gay marriage has been legal in Canada for quite a while now. America is taking a bit to catch up. The way I see it, whether or not one agrees with gay marriage shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not it should be legal. Who is it hurting? No one.

I do however think pastors who don't agree with it shouldn't be forced to marry a gay couple if they consider it against their religion. Besides, if I was gay and wanted to get married, I wouldn't want someone who didn't agree with what I was doing marrying me anyway. ;)


message 4: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments I think it should be legal. Like Jacob said, love is love. And also, making gay marriage illegal is against 8 human rights. So what if two men or two woman love each other. there is no reason to hate them for it!!!


message 5: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
Exactly! You should love a person based on who they are on the inside not what they look like. I'm reading a book now that keeps hitting that point over and over (its "every day" by David something). anyways its about a "soul" that changes bodies every day and the person they love has a problem with all the different bodies. if they truly love each other the gender shouldn't matter


message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments That sounds really interesting and proves the point. Does anyone have an argument for why it should be illegal? I don't and so I'm wondering what the other side is.


message 7: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments I nominate for both sides having a very reasonable argument. Were the world young and America based upon puritan belief. Homesxuality is an abomination to Christ Jesus and those who partake in the evil fruit of it's riches will burn for eternity in Hell.
*((Unfortunately for those against it we are not all puritans anymore. ))

Modern day arguments (From the point of view of a Homophobe):
If people start feeling that being gay is okay and seeing that you can marry someone of the same gender it can create an epidemic, hormonal teenagers are going to feel it is completely fine to be attracted to other guys and when that happens a decrease in the morals and societies organization skills begin to fail. America will crumble under its own foundation of which our founding fathers made to keep us protected from such tedious crimes against nature. A decrease in our population because no one will be reproducing properly should they all become homsexual affiliated and have no desire to have children.
Our country will crumble to the fact that with lesser and lesser people our factories will begin to over develop and eventually we will have too much country for too few people and become over run by our enemies who already seek to destroy us.


message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments You're making the other side sound ridiculous, Jacob.

Also, I'm a bit offended by your "Homosexuality is an abomination to Christ Jesus" comment. Jesus never said a single thing against homosexuality. Yes, there are places in the Bible that talk about homosexual acts as sin, but they were written in a very specific context to specific people and never in the context of marriage.

Yes, there are a lot of Christians who are what you would call "homophobic", but there are also a lot of Christians who don't have any problem whatsoever with gay marriage and are even in gay marriage relationships themselves.

So be careful about lumping every single Christian into the same boat (just like you can't call every single Muslim [or even most Muslims] terrorists - or do you do that too?).


message 9: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
Lizzy it never says don't marry others of the same gender in the bible. its just what pastors read into with it.


message 10: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
why not?


message 11: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Anna wrote: "You're making the other side sound ridiculous, Jacob.

Also, I'm a bit offended by your "Homosexuality is an abomination to Christ Jesus" comment. Jesus never said a single thing against homosexua..."


Honestly, it wasn't meant to be taken to offense jsut a simple joke as it was meant to sound ridiculous. Sorry if it happened to offend anyone, your beliefs are your own as are mine, didn't mean anything personal just for the fact in my belief it seems stupid and it is the basic reaction one of the puritan age would have possibly granted with more of an old english wording.

Again sorry for the offense to me the debate in itself is a joke and a ridiculous concept to even think about considering if it is morally right for someone else to live their own life the way they see fit.


message 12: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments As for Muslims I have never been able to call one a terrorist for the mere fact to me in order to be a terrorist your bible would say one msut commit suicide to get to heaven adn kill the people you jsut palinly don't like...sure it seems liek agreat religion sounding like that, but I know for a fact thsoe words aren't even clsoe int he muslim religion. Sorry, I merely base my comcepts of arguement for others mere enjoyment not to start an arguement because I feel that most Christians, Southern American Christians more so than most others are like that. It's a stereotype and therefore I will voice my opinion for this group is about voicing one's own opinion. Should one have a problem with it I thank you for being one of those to point it out.
It merely allows me to elaborate an explanation for my words. Whether the elaboration satisfies you or not well...I could honestly care less.
My words are never directed at anyone specifically and they are to be left open to interpretation if you interpreted anything of offense well that's your own personal view congrats for being able to express such a thing a rare quality few hold.

However, I will take offense to the mere fact that you automatically assume that just because I label one category of people as one thing then I do it to another as well. Unfortunately I am prejudice only to certain people and certain stereo types. Again if this is a problem it is an interpretation of your own voice your opinion by all means, but I assure you it is never in my intentions to bash on specific people so much as specific groups of people. An individual and a group are two completely different things.
Also as for the Muslim comment I find it also humorous for the fact my cousin is a muslim and we often joke around calling him the next Osama Bin Laden. A mere joke of simple fun, the same way i'm the next Adolf Hitler. Others can take offense to it because they don't know how my mind works, that's their problem not mine. I get me and that's all that really matters to me. The opinions of others merely motivates me.


message 13: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments I understnad Lizzy, my American family are big into Religion while my European family members each really don't care abotu religion...well except my Italian family who base their beliefs on blood line and to them I am a disgrace to my family for even being born. But, hey i didn't complain because I got to drink a glass of wine every meal and it was a good big meal...I think living in Italy I actually gained weight when Iw as younger...it wasn't until I was forced tot hestates that my life turned upside down and I lost so much weight to keep a thin and sexy figure.


message 14: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments ^_^


message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna M. Watson | 18 comments Lizzy wrote: "I am Christian and I agree with you. My mom judges a lot herself. When my sister first decided to become Catholic, my mom pretty much thought that my sister would go to Hell for being Catholic. I think otherwise. My mom is a very Godly person which my sister and I are not."

I'm not sure godly is the definition I'd use for someone who judges a lot...


message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments With the whole religion thing I don't think they should base laws off of religion. Only 32% of the world is Christian yet we base our laws off of what it says in the bible, this I do not believe should happen.


message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Although 83% of AMERICA is Christian, but I still don't believe religion should influence laws.


TheLostOne~WithoutAPathHome | 9 comments Lizzy wrote: "It's just weird for me."

I'm not being mean or picking on you or anything, but just because somethings weird for you or you think its weird doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed or banned. Like if someone thought that being blond or that camping was weird they wouldn't ban it just because someone thought it was weird. If something is weird that's your opinion and you're entitled to your opinion, BUT just because you have an opinion does not make it fact and it does not mean you have the right to ban or not allow something because you think its odd or different or weird. Sorry if that sounds mean or anything, but this issue hits close to home because some of my best friends are gay or Bi and i myself am Bisexual so yeah


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Why isn't it allowed! I mean there is nothing different from gay people to straight people, too many people think that gay people are mentally ill or not fit for marriage or to care for children . I fully support gay rights and will do whatever I can in support of this cause.


message 20: by DarkAurora (new)

DarkAurora | 31 comments love is love,but in my religion ur not allowed 2 b gay...


message 21: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Natasha wrote: "Why isn't it allowed! I mean there is nothing different from gay people to straight people, too many people think that gay people are mentally ill or not fit for marriage or to care for children . ..."

LGBT!!!!!LGBT!!!!


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Lizzy wrote: "Well, I don't think that gays are mentally ill or not fit to care of kids and such. It's just weird for me is all."

Yeh I find that is what most of my friend say on the subject unless they are gay or lesbian etc then they just say what they think.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacob wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Why isn't it allowed! I mean there is nothing different from gay people to straight people, too many people think that gay people are mentally ill or not fit for marriage or to care..."

?


message 24: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments LGBT
Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transexual Support

LGBTP

Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transexual, Pansexual Support

I'm best friends with the state president of the society and the district president.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jacob wrote: "LGBT
Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transexual Support

LGBTP

Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transexual, Pansexual Support

I'm best friends with the state president of the society and the district president."


I get you now.


message 26: by Hai (last edited Apr 30, 2014 07:31PM) (new)

Hai (angelslayer) Ok. I skimmed most of the comments here. Almost everyone agrees that it should be allowed. I kind of glanced over the cons of why it shouldn't be allowed, so correct me if I'm mistaken.

So one of the reasons I saw was that they didn't like it because it was "icky" (weird was the word used, but, I'm taking a bit of artistic license). So two men who love each other can't get married because you're uncomfortable about it? Two men who you've never met. Two men you will probably never meet. Two men you will never have to meet. I don't understand how this affects you in any way, why should you have a say in whether or not they get married? I'm not singling you out for your comment, this is just a common reaction from a lot of people opposed to gay marriage. I find that it's an unacceptable reason why someone shouldn't get married. Give us data. Give us charts and graphs of reasons why they shouldn't get married. Weird is not a good reason.

The other was that maybe there will be so much gay marriage that we won't have enough people to make babies for future generations. This is simply ridiculous. Right now, there is a population crisis on this planet. A few short years ago, the population on the planet was 6 billion people. Now it's numbering in 7 billion. Here's a fun fact: The number of people alive right now, is about 10% of the number of people who have ever lived on this planet.

Did you know: 50 years ago, it was illegal for a black person to marry a white person? The reason used: The Bible.

And lastly I'll just leave this picture here.

description


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe that gay marriage should be allowed. First off, it's natural. It's natural for two guys to love each other. It's part of who they are. We're always being told that we should be ourselves. Well, if you don't allow gay marriage, you're not allowing a lot of gay people be themselves. That goes against what we've been taught.

America is supposed to be the Land of the Free. Well, gay people aren't free to marry other gay people. That goes against what America should be.

Also, put yourself in their shoes! How would you feel if you couldn't marry the person you love, just because it's gay marriage and isn't allowed? Don't tell me you wouldn't care! That's a lie! Because of human nature, we feel miserable when we can't marry the person we love and are forced to be different from who we really are.


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I have noticed people saying that God made us man and wife (okay, I just saw one comment say that). Let me ask you this; if God didn't want people to become homosexuals, do you think he would have allowed it? No. Let me tell you this: God plans everything for people. He makes us as who we are. He made homosexuals homosexuals. So, He might not have a problem with it. He might be all right with it.


message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry if I offended anyone in any way, or if I made anyone feel as though they are being picked on and singled out. I am just saying my opinion, that is all.


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I see your point too, in your earlier comments. God did make us as man and wife. Perhaps we weren't ready for homosexuals yet a long time ago, or perhaps there were homosexuals back then but they were never really noticed. We'll never really now.


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never read the Bible, so I shall take your word for it. I have to agree with you! Dinosaurs never were mentioned in the Quran either. I know that the big bang theory was mentioned in the Quran, but not dinosaurs.


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, that's the Holy Book for Muslims.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

It's like how the Bible is the Holy Book for Christians, and the Torah is the Holy Book for the Jews. The Quran is the Holy Book for Muslims.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

That's all right. I didn't know much about Jews until last year (6th grade).


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I never even knew Roman Catholics existed until last year as well!


message 36: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Hai wrote: "Ok. I skimmed most of the comments here. Almost everyone agrees that it should be allowed. I kind of glanced over the cons of why it shouldn't be allowed, so correct me if I'm mistaken.

So one of ..."


Lol my ridiculous comment was meant to be taken as ridiculous. I frown upon haters and therefore I just felt like ridiculing them.


message 37: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Gashbeen(Hecate) wrote: "Also, I have noticed people saying that God made us man and wife (okay, I just saw one comment say that). Let me ask you this; if God didn't want people to become homosexuals, do you think he would..."

lol I'm for Gay marriage, but technically even if God was agaisnt gay marriage and homosexuality he would still allow it for the mere fact that he did give mankind freewill to do as they please. If a person feels like being a gay then God loves them anyway, whether it goes against the ancient laws of which the modern day bible no longer describes to us is unknown to mankind for the bible has been rewritten several times through generations taking parts out and putting parts in to fit the laws of society and what we see as the perfect bible and the perfect God. I do not read the bible becuase there are so many pages and chapters missing that governments did not see fit for societies eyes. Perhaps their is scripture in there saying sometihng outlandish such as ever since Adam and Eve committed the first sin as a couple only the homsexuals will have a palce in heaven. No one truly knows this for no one has seen these missing parts...


message 38: by Hai (new)

Hai (angelslayer) God didn't intend for same sexes to mingle. There are gay people.

God didn't intend for us to fly, we don't have wings. We build air planes.

God didn't intend for us to cross oceans, or travel miles under the sea, we don't have gills and fins. We build boats and submarines.

God didn't intend for us to leave the planet, we can't survive without air. We build rocket ships, and space suits.

if any one of these is true, then wouldn't the rest also be true? Should we also have never built planes, boats, space ships, or space suits? Should we live as the Amish people live, if this truly is the will of God? Should we never have developed medicines and vaccines?


message 39: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
AMEN HAI


message 40: by DarkAurora (new)

DarkAurora | 31 comments Lizzy wrote: "DarkAurora wrote: "love is love,but in my religion ur not allowed 2 b gay..."

Which religion is yours?"



ISLAM...


message 41: by DarkAurora (new)

DarkAurora | 31 comments Lizzy wrote: "K. Huh? What's a Quran?"



KAY,im tots offended...


message 42: by DarkAurora (last edited May 01, 2014 01:43PM) (new)

DarkAurora | 31 comments Jacob wrote: "As for Muslims I have never been able to call one a terrorist for the mere fact to me in order to be a terrorist your bible would say one msut commit suicide to get to heaven adn kill the people yo..."


THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u can not judge one for whom there are,you cant judge from the labels or race or even religion u can only judge when u know them,that is if you assume you know them and all..
in my opinion god should only judge us,its his job after all...


message 43: by Hai (new)

Hai (angelslayer) I don't mean to take this conversation off course, but that whole 75 virgins in heaven after blowing yourself up is a bunch of crap. That isn't the reason these terrorist do that. This is just the media trying to feed the public information it thinks it wants. True, there may be something in their religion which states this, but this is just equivalent to if Muslims believe that an American soldier who gives his life in the line of duty is doing it for the sole purpose to get into heaven so he can be with his loved ones again.

People give their lives for things they believe in, not for the reward they'll get in the afterlife.

Sorry I took the conversation off course. That whole 75 virgins thing has just been bugging me for 10 years.


message 44: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Hai wrote: "God didn't intend for same sexes to mingle. There are gay people.

God didn't intend for us to fly, we don't have wings. We build air planes.

God didn't intend for us to cross oceans, or travel mi..."



Okay, Hai, don't mean to be bashing you mate, but as far as I know you're not God...how in the Hell are any of us supposed to know what God intended because none of us are God. He gave us free will, so for all we truly know God did intend us to fly and go into space and swim. Just because God didn't hand it to us from the get go does not mean after granting freewill he didn't know what we would do, so clearly for an almighty deity he had to intend something out of it for he is all knowing as many say. I hate bringing this religion shit into the mix, because religion should be irellevant to such a subject based upon laws.
This 'God didn't intend' junk seems in my personal opinion like crap. Everyone talking baout what God intended jsut because of their religious beliefs, okay so what you believe in a God that you can clearly read the mind of. I mean hey it's your religion by all means, but as far as I'm concerned know on can ever determine the thoughts of another, is it not those who follow christ who say "God work in mysterious ways."
No one truly knows what God intended. That's like saying you know what I intend for such things to happen. I could care less if a person is gay, straight, asian, black pansexual, christian, satanist, etc... it is the person and it is what makes them unique to what God intended. God loves them anyway, but given freewill God clearly intended everything to happen as it has or else he would have never granted any such thing as Freewill. We do as we please and it is up t God to decide if what we do is what he intended, not us.


message 45: by Hai (new)

Hai (angelslayer) Hmm. Jacob, did you read my comment, or just the first 3 words? That's the point I was making. I myself am an atheist, but I try to respect peoples' religion as much as I can (to the point where it interferes with someone's rights) and I'm stating plainly "if this is what God intended, then shouldn't..."


message 46: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments I only read your "God intended" comment for most others seemed fully irrelevant to my thought process on the topic. But like I said I wasn't bashing on you, mate, jsut throwing out there for the fact that God intends nothign that we know of for those who beleive in him they should know that their beleif system has faults I knw becuase until I quit such a belief system I slowly began to realize those minor faults that took away formt eh big picture of things.


message 47: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
hai and Jacob: love ya both but please consider taking it down a notch


message 48: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments Sorry, didn't notice I was getting out of hand, forgive me...I just get heated in debates.


message 49: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
its cool just seemed it could be escalating to something no one wanted


message 50: by Kay [Angel] (new)

Kay [Angel] | 57 comments Ok so this doesn't have to do with Gay Marriage because I support it, but I kind of find it weird when people are SUDDENLY bi. And it's not just that they admitted it. I don't really get it, because Gay people are gay and they cannot help it. They're born with it, as many people have argued. Idk. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone. My friend's friend like "became" bisexual and it's just weiiiird to me you know? Maybe because I'm not but I think some people think they may be bisexual when they're not. Like if you can't imagine kissing the same gender...


« previous 1
back to top