Patterson Readers discussion

Themes in Literature

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Patterson | 4 comments Mod
Please explain a prevailing theme in one of your current independent reading books. Remember, a theme cannot be summed up in one word. A theme is the main idea the author is trying to communicate to the reader. For example, in Of Mice and Men, one theme Steinbeck is trying to communicate is that the economic system in place during the Great Depression did not allow migrant farmers to ever get out of poverty.

Please write a seven sentence paragraph explaining the theme in your book.

message 2: by Alli (new)

Alli Laferriere | 3 comments The book I am going to talk about is "Soul Surfer" by Bethany Hamilton. I have already read this book multiple times. The major theme of this book is, never to give up and when a bad thing happens, there is always something good that comes out of it. When a shark took Bethany's arm, it seemed really bad but the good part is all of the inspiration that she gave other people. Something good always comes out of everything.

message 3: by Nikolas (new)

Nikolas Briggs (MMAFighter) | 3 comments In my book Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. Bud is the main Character. This book is during a depression. So his family is poor. He is on the go with a suitcase full of things looking for his father he doesn't even know the name of. He is following flyers to find his father. He is alone.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 6 comments In, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky the theme is to be yourself. For example when Charlie (I wanna say that's the name of the main character) hangs out with Patrick, Patrick tells Charlie that it's ok for him to be himself around Patrick. Also Patrick is always himself around Charlie. I guess as Mr.Patterson would say, there aren't any masks in this book.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Yager | 3 comments In Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, the theme of the book is that no matter how different you are, or how alone you feel, there will always be someone there for you. In my book, Eleanor came from a poor family with many children and an abusive step father. She was insecure about how she looked and dressed and felt like nobody could ever love her. But Park loved her for all her imperfections and didn't care about what other people thought of her. The book expressed that no matter how alone you feel, there will always be someone there for you. You just have to search. Whether that be a friend or a therapist, you aren't alone.

message 6: by Noelle_dibiase (new)

Noelle_dibiase | 3 comments The theme in The Fault in our stars by John Green. Well there was a big plot twist in the middle of irony. Throughout the book you know that Hazel Grace is terminal but during the middle to end of the book you discover that Gus is too but his death is more near than expected. He dies before the end of the book. For the most part I feel like the theme of this book is growing up. Hazel has to face more obstacles than most adults which causes her to become more mature at a younger age. She has cancer and apparently her new found boyfriend still has cancer but hasn't told her until about a month before he dies. She pretty much watches him deteriorate before her eyes while she is dying herself. It's very sad but sometimes stuff like that happens. Nothing good can really last forever.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dolley | 3 comments In my book "Hero" by Mike Lupica one of the themes to the book is that you are never too young to be a hero. When Zach Harriman's father goes missing it was now his mission to go and find out what happened. As he is doing this he discovers all of his father's secrets which he then uses to try and figure out what really happened. In the book people say that he is too young to help out, that he doesn't have enough experience out in the real world. However, Zach puts those thoughts aside and does whatever he can to try and figure out what happened. Overall, one of the themes in the book "Hero" is that you are never too young to become a hero.

ChewCONNORbacca | 4 comments The theme in "Fahreinheit 451" is changing quite often according to me. The main theme that I think is that the society in this book is that no matter what you do, you cannot be above someone. No one can be better than their neighbor. Everyone is the same and no one can prevail more than another. Especially when they start to burn books. Some people fell like those people like Montag have been chosen to make people feel this way. A good example of this is. Bradbury writes, "And the house all burnt. And my job gone and myself on the run, and I planted a book in a fireman's house on the way" (125).

message 9: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Peoples | 3 comments In the book Friday Night Lights, the book really revolves around the relationship aspect of the football team. In the story the football team is always struggling with personal stuff along with their football life, and on and off the field the players have each others back. The author does a really good job of showing that all of the players are like brothers to each other, and a lot of the players only have football and their teammates in their life. The team is based in northern Texas, which is basically right in the heart of American football. Down in Texas, high schools really live off of their football team, and high school football is a huge part in life in Texas. This gives the players even more reason to care so much about both the game and their team mates. H. G. Bissinger, the author of Friday Night Lights, was definitely trying to show the relationships and heart that these players had for the game and their team.

message 10: by Brandonp333 (last edited Apr 28, 2014 07:01AM) (new)

Brandonp333 | 3 comments She is basically fighting the government, or the society of living in WW2 Germany. Meanwhile her communist mother just gives them up. Oh yeah they're like 10. I think the theme of this book is that although life can be tough( And life is tough for her.) You just have to live through it and eventually if you play your cards right. Everything will work out for the best.

Edit: Grammar

message 11: by Stella (new)

Stella | 2 comments My book is The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell. I think the author is trying to communicate that no matter what, you can still follow your dreams. Carrie wants to be a writer, but she did not get accepted to the writing school she wanted to go to. She was really disappointed at first, but she didn't give up. I think another way of communication is that you shouldn't hold on to you past, you have to let it go. An of friend of Carrie's (Sebastian Kydd) moves back to her High School and she cant stop thinking about him but she learns that she should just ignore it because the past is the past and it shouldn't matter anymore. So the theme is don't give up, and don't hold on to you past.

Jakegorhamhigh2017 | 3 comments In the book "The Battle oF The Labyrinth" by Rick Riordan There is a clear theme. The Book has many things to suggest the vary obvious theme. The Theme of the book is there is a place for everyone. Percy, the main character is the main source of this theme. He was different from everybody else. One day he was attacked by his teacher.... Then he was in a place where everybody was like him.
page; 167!

message 13: by Athena (new)

Athena | 3 comments In the book "Cracked Marbles" by Tom Palmer, the theme is before you can deal with a situation you have to know who's dealing with a situation. Harry Bryd was a doctor that always got to know his patients. In one of the stories the author wrote about Harry going out to look for one of his patients that was lost in the woods. Harry always knew his patients on a personal level and then dealt with their problems or diseases. To conclude, Harry Bryd was a good doctor and learned about the person to deal with the situation.

message 14: by Mae (new)

Mae =^.^= The idea of wonder. In Lewis Carrol's Alice In Wonderland he portrays the idea of wonder. Its this place of unsure feelings and danger. But at the same time comfort.

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah LeBlanc | 3 comments The book that I am reading is The Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the theme in this book is to best understand the world around you, you must use logic. That is the theme because Sherlock always uses logic to solve cases even before anyone else could. He always had the case solved before Dr Watson or the Scotland Yard (which makes everyone feel pretty stupid as he is clearly stating the obvious). Sherlock could look at a hat and logically figure out how old it is, how old the person who wears the hat is and where the person last walked. It seems a little strange but if you logically think about it, it makes total sense. If you use logic, then the world will make a little more sense.

message 16: by Kiesha (new)

Kiesha Sullivan | 3 comments Go ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks, the theme of this book was the girl was depressed,felt like no one was there for her. Alice would always talk about killing herself and say that she did nothing right. She had then met this boy, who got her into using drugs, she then became addicted. Also the other theme is that if you feel like you love someone you would do anything for them, Alice thought she loved this boy so she did drugs with him. The main theme is pressure and trying to look cool and not be a "baby". Alice had then met another boy who did drugs and who was in college her boyfriends best friend was dealing and selling drugs, his girlfriend and Alice told the cops on them and got them in trouble so Alice has always been in the wrong group of people, which made her depressed and made her do drugs or do all these bad things. Overall Go ask Alice is a depressing book of a teenage girl who made friends with the wrong people.

message 17: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 2 comments In the book "The lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan there are probably different themes. The theme I am thinking about is not everyone has power to use. And not everyone can or is half blooded. So you should be happy on who you are even if your not really a human. That's the theme I was thinking about from the book "The lightning thief."

message 18: by Nariah (new)

Nariah Cavarretta | 3 comments In the book twisted by Laurie Hales Anderson the theme is a teenage boy trying to date a girl he really likes and he messes everything up. Mainly, the theme is during the summer. He is also on top of a roof. He is on top of a roof because he is working and he sees the girl for the first time working. In the book, Anderson didn't state where exactly the setting is. Overall, I know that they are somewhere warm, and it is towards the end of the school year.

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor N. | 3 comments The main theme in the book The Bad Boy's Girl by JessGirl93 is that people can change and you should except their change. In the story, Cole was always a trouble maker and always went out of his way to make Tessa miscible. After he comes back to his home town after 4 years of military school, he is a changed man. He becomes Tessa's protector instead of her worst nightmare. Eventually they fall in love and Tessa is happily surprised in the change she sees in Cole. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

message 20: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Holmes | 3 comments In my previous book "The Last Great Game" by Gene Wojciechowski there are a few possible themes. I personally think that it is showing that if you believe in yourself even when the whole country is against you, it is still possible to be very successful. For example, in the book the Coach of Duke who was previously a coach at Army was not doing too well in his first few years on the Job. Many college basketball fans wanted him out, and the pressure was on. Every time he lost the Athletic Director was threatened if he didn't fire him immediately. The AD ended up signing him to a shocking multi year extension, and the rest was history. Coach K ended up becoming the winning-est coach in college basketball history and won numerous national championships.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Perry | 3 comments In the book A Firey Heart by Richelle Mead the theme is that friend ship and love will find away. In the book Mead has made these two charters different in more ways than any normal couple. Adrian Ivashkov is a vampire and Sydney Sage is an alchemist. Alchemists hate the moroi (Living Vampires) and Sydney and Adrian fall in love. Overall its a confusing love story.

message 22: by Danielbp4 (new)

Danielbp4 | 2 comments In "The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman one of the main themes is to never give up on something no matter how hard it comes to be. Throughout this book and the previous two of the series, the main characters Will and Lyra come across many different problems and obstacles which cause them to push on through life and death situations several times until they succeed.

message 23: by Jordana1311 (new)

Jordana1311 | 4 comments The theme in the book Divergent by Veronica Roth is that being normal and the same as everyone else isn't good. They found out he is a different type of person and that it is rare to by this type. His parents are really boring and are the same as everyone else and they do the same thing everyday. He gets to go to a place with many different kids and learn with them. He does many different things instead of being boring and doing nothing new like his parents. Overall, The theme in the book divergent is that being normal and like everyone else isn't good

message 24: by Trystan (last edited Apr 28, 2014 07:55AM) (new)

Trystan Bates | 3 comments In the book, Peak by Roland Smith, the theme is no matter what you're going through always follow your dreams. This is because Peak, the main character, has to go live with his father on Mount Everest. Since Peak and his dad are good climbers, they were going to try and make it to the summit of Mount Everest. Peak thinks that his father is doing it for his son to be the youngest person ever at the summit. Peak later finds out that his dad is just using him for good publicity for his climbing business. This gets Peak discouraged about climbing to the summit, but since peak was an avid climber, it was always his goal to reach the summit of Mount Everest. This is every climber's goal. He continues to climb anyways, but not for his father's business, for himself and his own achievements.

message 25: by Blake (new)

Blake | 3 comments In one of the books I read titled, Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, the message the author was trying to get across is that you are never alone. Both Eleanor and Park are two very different people who were always outsiders. Eleanor had nobody in her life, and Park's friends were just jerks who didn't care about him. They were both lost and alone until they found each other. The moment they started sharing a seat on the bus they became inseparable and they were always there for each other even when no one else was.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica Tbow (erica_tbow17) | 3 comments In the book The Child Called it by Dave Pelzer, the theme is that bad things will happen and you can try to forget but you will always hold on to that memory of what happened no matter how hard you try to forget. In the book the Child Called it the mother beats her children and throughout the book they explain how the kids have to live with this and how it gets better or worse.

message 27: by Kayleal3 (new)

Kayleal3 | 3 comments The book "Divergent" has one prevailing theme, and that is betrayal. Veronica Roth shows the better side of betrayal, and how sometimes it is for the better. This book is about how at age 16 you have to pick a faction to join, for the rest of your life. The main character, Beatrice, chooses a faction that really surprises her family, same with her brother. It is one that she feels would suit her the best, even though it may make her parents upset. They expect her to stay in her current faction with the whole family, and she leaves. This is for the better though. She shows individuality, and strength. She sails through this faction to the top quickly, and it is all because of her faction choice. Betrayal is not always a bad thing.

message 28: by Ehawyard (new)

Ehawyard | 3 comments In the Fault in Our Stars by John Green the theme is to never give up and always keep trying. Hazel is dying and she is dating Augustus who is in remission, or so he says. She always says how she can't date him because she sick but he doesn't care and wants to date her. He is very persistent in having a relationship with her. The sad part is at the end of the book Hazel finds out exactly what Augustus was feeling when he ends up sick again and finally dies. They never gave up their relationship because they were sick and always kept trying to stay together.

message 29: by Maevep (new)

Maevep | 3 comments In a previous book I read, "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks, one of the themes is do not judge a book by its cover. Landon and his friends always and have always made fun of Jamie. How she dresses and acts is not like most of the kids their age do. Then, Landon gets to know her better and finds out, she is not at all like they thought her to be because of how she looks. He falls in love with her and now sees her as a beautiful, smart girl. They never knew what she was really like because they were too busy making fun of what they thought she was.

message 30: by Hallie (new)

Hallie T | 3 comments The theme for the book "The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen is that if something bad happens to you its okay to be sad. It's okay to be vulnerable and let someone help you. Macy's dad dies and she doesn't know what do do with herself. She's just holding in the sadness by being with her boring and unhelpful boyfriend, Jason. But, eventually she meets an inspiring, creative and a very good listener, Wes and she lets her feelings go and she feels much better. Concluding that it's okay to grieve.

message 31: by Kara (new)

Kara | 3 comments In the book, "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. The theme is trying to figure yourself out, when you find out you are not like everyone else. For example in the book, Tris finds out she is Divergent, which is not really heard of where she lives. The society thinks that when someone is Divergent they can't be controlled, that they need to be killed. Tris is trying to hide who she really is, in order to not be killed. Overall, finding yourself out is very important, even if you are different.

message 32: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon H | 3 comments The theme in Fangirl by Rainbow Rowel is to never judge a book by it's cover. In this story Cath is the main character she writes with this guy every day and it ends up becoming a little more than just a friendship in her eyes. She trusts him but he ends up just using her to get his end of the year paper. Cath's room mate has this friend who is always around. Cath thinks they are dating bit it's just a friendship. She also thinks that he is a little bit of a jerk because of the way he acts she soon sees that she judged him to fast and let the other man in to soon.

message 33: by Paddyo1122 (new)

Paddyo1122 | 3 comments I am reading the book "The Last Mission" by Harry Mazer. There are multiple themes in this book but the biggest one is the harsh realities of war. This book is set in World War 2 and Jack is a 16 year old Jewish boy who lies about his age because wants to fight against Hitler and defend his beliefs. Before he can go to war he needs to go through all of the training. Right from day one he wanted to quit and go home. The drill sargent was very strict and yelled and occasionally hit him. He also had to go through lots of harsh workouts. All of this training puts lots of stress on his body. On top of that stress he missed his family and was fearing about his cover being blown. This is just one of the many examples that says that a theme in this book is the harsh realities of war.

message 34: by Justin (new)

Justin Laughlin | 2 comments The book the I am writing about is High Heat by Carl Deuker. This was one of the best books I've read. It was about a kid who's dad was a car dealer selling cars for drugs. The father killed himself and left the son and mother behind. They were forced to move and became very poor. The boy's only getaway was baseball. He transferred from a private school to a public one. He no longer wanted to play baseball because of this. He thought he was too good for the public school. He went on to making the team and playing really well. He got scouted by a college scout and got a scholarship to play baseball. His mother fell in love with the scout and they are together. I would say that the theme in this book would be that money doesn't matter and it's what you do with what you have that does. I think this is the theme because even though he was no longer in a private school and rich, he was successful and got scouted.

message 35: by Tonyc17 (new)

Tonyc17 | 3 comments In "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan the theme is to keep going and not give up even if it seems like you'll never make it. Percy and his friends are on a quest to get to Mount Olympus. They face many problems and scary monsters but they defeat them and eventually make it to Olympus. Then they get home and everyone is happy because they succeeded.

message 36: by D_dubs12 (new)

D_dubs12 | 2 comments My book that I'm currently reading is Jurassic Park and I'm not that far into the book but I have an Idea as to what the theme is. You can't play God. In the book they clone dinosaurs and also ancient bugs and plant life. The project of cloning and building is not even 100% complete and a total of 12 babies have died from "unknown lizards" and 3 workers have died from other dinosaurs. If they left creation of life alone then the deaths would not have occurred.

message 37: by Carli (new)

Carli Labrecque | 4 comments In "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" the theme is really like a coming of age story. The books starts with 4 girls who are best friends and have never spent a summer apart. Then this summer they are all going different places and having different experiences. The coming of age part is knowing you're not always going to have your friends around to help you. All the girls faced different challenges that they had to overcome by themselves.

message 38: by Teddy (new)

Teddy Lockman | 3 comments In the book that I just finished was The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. The main theme in this book is loyalty to loved ones. Lyra (the main character) goes on a adventure to save her friend, Roger, from the Oblation board who are kidnaping kids and doing experiments on them. the adventure entail lots of hard things to do like hiding away on a boat, fighting with tartars, and confronting a giant bear. Then after you achieve your goals have all of it taken away from you.

message 39: by Noah (new)

Noah Bird | 2 comments In the book Orr there is a theme that most people wont see. I see it best, the reason I read books like this is for this theme. The theme that I can find in this book is hope. Hope that someday I could live a life like they do. I read so that I can look forward and chase my dream to get to the point where he is. That is why the theme is Hope.

message 40: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Carey | 3 comments I am currently reading _Insurgent_ and one of the main themes in this book is that Tobias and Tris keep fighting. Although they are fighting because Tris is reckless and she keeps putting herself in situations where she could die. Tobias loves her and he's yelling at her and fighting with her because she's putting herself into these situations. He doesn't want her to die. So he'll follow her pretty much to make sure she's okay. Whenever things get to the point where her herself can no longer handle it he always seems to be there for her to protect her. One of the situations she puts herself into is going to the Erudite and turning herself in as divergent so that the rest of the Dauntless may live. She had to lie to Tobias and Christina to get herself to that point. Once Tris is there she is being tested on and days later Tobias shows up. She gets mad and yells at him. The thing that he says to her is "If you die, I die too." What I take away from this is you die for those you lie. Or you've love and you've lost. Tobias can't live, or doesn't want to live without her.

message 41: by Desjardin (new)

Desjardin | 3 comments In the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth one of the themes could be finding your identity. I feel like it could be that is because while Tris is getting into Dauntless and stop a war she is finding out her true identity. What she really is as a person and I see her as this young woman with lots and lots of courage. That is why I think the theme could be finding your identity.

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney K | 3 comments The book that I am currently reading is "Pandemonium" by Lauren Oliver. The theme in the book is that you should stand up for what you believe in. The main character, Lena, lives in a society where love is forbidden and seen as a disease. Lena does not think this is right, so she escapes from her society. In this way, Lena is standing up for what she thinks is right.

message 43: by Brandon (new)

Brandon George | 2 comments The book that I am going to talk about is The Fault in Our Stars written by the great John Green. The theme in the book that most stood out was battling hard situations in life. Hazel one of the main characters has cancer and meets a boy with cancer from support group. The boys name is Augustus. He lost his leg because of the cancer. Hazel and Augustus travel to see a famous author and after that Augustus passes away due to Make a Wish foundation.

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie Bertin | 3 comments I just completed the book "Ruthless" by Sara Shepard. Even though the book was horrible, it did have a prominent theme. What goes around comes around. If you lie to someone about something, then something bad will happen to you. Overall, just don't be a bad person or else your life will suck.

message 45: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Hall (Brad14) | 3 comments SPOILER ALERT * * * In Looking For Alaska by John Green the theme is that you don't need to know everything. All your questions don't need to be answered because "not knowing keeps 'me' caring". He explains that not knowing (why Alaska died) keeps him caring about her and that it's easier to not forget her because he doesn't know exactly why she left. Overall, don't focus too much on the things you don't know because maybe it'll help.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma Smith | 2 comments In the book "The Lake" by AnnaLisa Grant one of the reoccurring themes is you must be able to let people in your heart. In the book the main character had lost her parents. She went to live with her grandparents but they soon died too. She did not want to rely on anyone else because she did not want to risk the heartache again. When she moves in with her aunt and uncle she tries to keep them at an arms length. She soon learned that it feels much better to have people who know you, and who love you, then to have nobody at all but no pain. The risk of getting hurt goes along with being loved by somebody. The reward of love is worth the risk of pain.

message 47: by Marc (new)

Marc Yankles | 2 comments One of the books that I have read in the past is Babe Ruth and I really enjoyed this book it gave me all kinds of new information about Babe Ruth and his young and old life. From the beginning to the end of the book it went from when he was a kid to when he was in the pros and from when his was about to die. He was a real good guy and he really had a big heart. I like how this book went deep into the information that they got, it made me know that everything that I was reading was junk. Thanks Yankles!!!! :)

message 48: by Dorothy (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:48AM) (new)

Dorothy | 3 comments In "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life," by Bryan Lee O'Malley, a prevailing theme is that you have to conquer obstacles to get to your goal, and while you do that, you become better as a person. Scott, the protagonist, is chasing after a girl named Ramona Flowers, who he thinks is obviously too good for him. But, she has seven evil ex-boyfriends that Scott has to battle to win Ramona. As the story progresses and he battles more evil exes, he also grows as a person. His last name, Pilgrim, is also a symbol of this. At the end of the story, he beats the last evil ex-boyfriend and turns out a much better person than when he started, and wins Ramona over.

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3 comments In my book, Eleanor and Park, the theme is that first love is something to hold onto. In this book, the main characters are both sixteen and have fallen in love for the first time. Eleanor is faced with extreme circumstances at her home though, making their relationship very strained at times. Eleanor's stepfather is an abusive drunk who is horrible to Eleanor, her mom, and all of her siblings. When her stepfather finally snaps she is forced to run ruining their relationship. Even though this happens, they try to remain together through letters and postcards.

message 50: by Annie (new)

Annie A-w | 3 comments In the book, "Life as We Knew it" by Susan Beth Pfeffer,a main theme in the book is, life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and you can't always control them, so you just have to roll with the punches that life throws at you, and keep going. The moon gets bumped and throws everything off on Earth. The people are suffering and dying, and can't escape. Some people just decide to give up right away, but then you have the people who just try to keep on going with their normal day to day lives. They are the ones who accept what life has thrown at them, but they make due with whatever they have. They have no control over what had happened, but they continue to roll with the punches life threw at them.

« previous 1 3