2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Alissa's 40 Books in 2014

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I need to catch up on my thoughts on each book, so sorry for all of the responses ;-)

The Twelve, finished 1/19
4 stars.

I love this series!! I did prefer the first one slightly more than this, but I was engrossed from page 1. I can't wait for the third one!

message 2: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Memoirs of a Geisha, finished 2/14
3 stars

This book was beautifully written. I didn't love it as much as I thought I would, but I'm glad to have read it

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Fly Away, finished 2/18
3 stars

This is the sequel to Firefly Lane, a book that I absolutely loved so much. I felt this book was very disappointing, mainly it focuses on Tully, a character I despised in the first novel. I would have rated this book a 2-star, but the ending was good so it saved it

message 4: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Cinder, finished 2/25
3 stars

I give Cinder 3 stars. I opted to listen to the audiobook rather than reading it, mostly because I tried to read it twice and kept putting it down. I just couldn't get into it. But I've heard so much about it that I felt I needed to give it a chance. It's not like you hear the topic of the re-telling of Cinderella as a futuristic cyborg very often!

I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook version. It kept my attention well. It was very descriptive and I could picture what was going on as it was happening.

I felt the love story between Cinder and Kai was very well-written- it didnt read as forced or cheesy as much as some YA adults read. The reason I only gave it 3 stars was because I correctly predicted the ending abnout 50-60 pages into the story, so that was disappointing. But I still enjoyed it

message 5: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) 1984, finished 3/3
4 stars

I never read this classic before, and I'm trying to read as many classics as I can this year that seemed to slip through the cracks over the years. I'm SO glad I read this one. It's beautiful and scary and sad and haunting. and the ending. wow.

Loved this book!

message 6: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, finished 3/3

Did the audiobook for this one. What an inspirational young woman. Amazing

message 7: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Dark Places, finished 3/6
5 stars

OMG. What a crazy thrill-ride of a book!! So much better than Gone Girl. I did not see that ending coming.

Gillian Flynn is a crazy woman! How does she come up with these stories?!?!

message 8: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) A Watershed Year, finished 3/7
3 Stars.

Meh. A nice easy read. Nice storyline. But I feel like this would be one I would pick up years later, start to read it, and realize "oh, i already read this already." It won't really stick with me

message 9: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Defending Jacob, finished 3/11
3 stars

I thought this was a good crime/court story, but not as good as I thought it would be. I've heard people raving about it for a long time.

message 10: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Giver, finished 3/12
5 stars.

Another "classic" that slipped through my fingers. A fantastic read. I read it in one day, couldnt put it down. Love, love love love!!

message 11: by Alissa (last edited May 06, 2014 08:08AM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Raven Boys, finished 3/17
2 stars

I read this book because the plot sounded so interesting:
*Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.*
I was very disappointed with it overall, and will not be continuing with the series

message 12: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) And the Mountains Echoed, finished 3/24
2 stars

For me, Khaled Hosseini is the M. Night Shamalayan in the author world. In my opibion, he hit it out of the park with the Kite Runner, I thought A Thousand Splendid Suns was decent, but I did not like this one at all. extremely disappointing

message 13: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Maze Runner, finished 3/26
3 stars

I enjoyed this book overall, felt it had nice suspense and action. I'm not sure whether I will continue this series or not

message 14: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Animal Farm, finished 4/1
4 stars
So happy to have another classic crossed off the list!
i always say its a true test of a book's worth when it was written so long ago but it could still be relevant today. This was published in 1945 but it is still so good and so relevant as if it was written in 2014.

message 15: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Still Alice, finished 4/2
5 stars

If you haven't read this book, please do. Its astounding. Beautiful. Terrible. Make sure you have tissues

message 16: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Museum of Extraordinary Things, finished 4/8
4 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Its historical fiction set in New York in the early twentieth century, and is about "freaks" in a sideshow. Really enjoyed this one

message 17: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) NOS4A2, finished 4/9
4 stars

My first novel from Stephen King's son, and it did not disappoint. What a creepy book! Gave me chills!

message 18: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Book Thief, finished 4/14
5 stars

I can't stop thinking about this book. Definitely has catapulted itself into one of my all-time favorites

message 19: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Gossamer, finished 4/14
3 stars

Nice, little fairy-tale. this was an audiobook I listened to to past the time at work, and was able to do it in one day.

message 20: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Shining Girls, finished 4/22
4 stars

this book is about a time-traveling serial killer and the one victim of his who managed to escape.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. it definitely had some rough parts, but overall this was a fast read and I couldn't wait to finish it to find out how it ended

message 21: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Interestings, finished 4/24
3 stars

I've always been fascinated by books that take place in a boarding school, or a summer camp etc i dont know why haha. Maybe bc i've never been a part of either culture, so they seem foreign to me?

This book is about 6 teenagers who become friends at a theatre/arts summer camp, and it follows them into adulthood. I thought this was a good book.

message 22: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Dark Half, finished 4/25
3 stars

This was on my TBR list for awhile, as I'ma huge Stephen King fan and am trying to read all of his books. This one, written in 1989, is definitely creepy but not one of his best. I'm glad I was able to check it off my list.

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Dark Half, finished 4/25
3 stars

This was on my TBR list for awhile, as I'ma huge Stephen King fan and am trying to read all of his books. This one, written in 1989, is definitely creepy but not one of his best. I'm glad I was able to check it off my list.

message 24: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Whistling Past the Graveyard, finished 4/28
4 stars

I LOVED this book! It reminded me of The Secret Life of Bees, only with a sassier little girl. I loved Starla as a character. Got to love a sassy little redhead.

message 25: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Fahrenheit 451, finished 4/30
3 stars

I thought this was another good "classic" book that I am glad that I read now. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, however. the ending was only ok to me

but, what a horrible notion- to live in a world without books!!

message 26: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Tell the Wolves I'm Home, finished 5/2
3 stars

I really liked this book, although I did not enjoy the character of Toby. I felt he was creepy! But overall, I really enjoyed it. I felt the plot was interesting- it took place in the late 1980s, plus had the discussion of AIDS. Its crazy how different people thought back then, even just 30 years ago, and how scared people were

message 27: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) The Invention of Wings, finished 5/6
4 stars

Stories about slavery are always heartbreaking, and it's such a terrible shame that this country once participated in it. I loved so many characters in this novel- Sarah, Nina, Handful, Charlotte. This was a wonderful book!

message 28: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments You are doing great Alissa! More than halfway done :D

message 29: by Karma (new)

Karma | 119 comments Alissa wrote: "And the Mountains Echoed, finished 3/24
2 stars

For me, Khaled Hosseini is the M. Night Shamalayan in the author world. In my opibion, he hit it out of the park with the Kite Runne..."

As it a 1 or 2 trick pony? Ha ha. I thought that was a clever reference. :) I've enjoyed reading your reviews.