Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight question

Creeper Characters!
Haley ~Queen of Randomness~ keep up if you can... Haley ~Queen of Randomness~ keep up if you can... Apr 28, 2014 06:02AM
Is anyone else bothered that books are romanticizing stalking and other unhealthy relation stuff? If Edward had shown up in my room at night or I even suspected he did, I'd have a can of pepper spray waiting with his name on it. I probably would have one waiting for Jacob to cauze kissing a girl against her will is NOT OK,

While I see what everyone is saying, let's not forget that we are talking about a vampire stalking a girl. Not so unusual in the vampire world as that is what they do. Now, if this were not a fantasy book, which discredits any notion of realism, it would be creepy. Just my opinion.

deleted member Apr 28, 2014 11:19AM   1 vote
Jacob was without a doubt the creepy character for me.

Well, if a guy that I just met a while ago at school or even my boyfriend would break into my bedroom at night to stare at me, we'd have a restraining order pretty fast .. That's SO creepy!
It really makes me worry that all of my younger cousins think that Edward is the most romantic man ever and they all want to have a boyfriend just like him.

DoeJoe I agree with you... I plan on teaching any kids I have how a man should treat a girl.
Aug 05, 2014 11:22AM · flag

I agree agree agree. It was creepy. Not only that, but he was so possessive, arrogant, controlling, and generally mean.

I gave Jacob a slight pass because he was a dumb teenager just like my friends and I were when I read this book. Ha ha! Edward is a grown man and should know better, which makes it worse.

Edward and Jacob for sure. And what's so special about Bella that both of these guys want to get all stalker like on her? Yuch. So my answer is yes...

@ Tara since I can't seem to comment on your post.

I don't understand why people think it's okay to excuse Edward's stalking just because he's a vampire. He doesn't seem to do anything else characteristic to vampires. I don't really see any other vampires in the series that stalks the way Edward does. You do know that teen girls are most likely to excuse stalking if they like a guy enough since its been glorified in these books.

Haley wrote: "Is anyone else bothered that books are romanticizing stalking and other unhealthy relation stuff? If Edward had shown up in my room at night or I even suspected he did, I'd have a can of pepper spr..."

yeah

Agreed.

edward "i like to watch you sleep at night. isn't that romantic?"
me "JESSI USED RESTRAINING ORDER! IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!"

edward,jacob,and james.

Someone mentioned about Jacob kissing Bella against her will (In Eclipse was it?) and I agree with that point. While he's less creepy than Edward, Jacob still does some pretty not okay stuff. Such as just after said kiss when he pretty much threatens to get himself killed if she doesn't say she loves him. Doesn't really seem 'okay' to me.

Olivia yeah i kind of agree on there.
Aug 05, 2014 07:04AM · flag

deleted member Apr 28, 2014 02:48PM   0 votes
Haley wrote: "Is anyone else bothered that books are romanticizing stalking and other unhealthy relation stuff?"
YES.

Gerd (last edited May 04, 2014 09:33AM ) May 04, 2014 03:24AM   -1 votes
Short answer:
Yes!

Long answer:
It does make you worry about our society (do I dare say women/girls?) that we (they) seem to be so much in love with the ideal of the abusive "bad boy" character.

But fact is that books like "twilight" are teen-romance, and the romance genre is full of just that kind of characters, it is, it seems to me, its main draw.
Just look how often men (and the occasional women) in those novels "want"; they demand, they conquer, they claim, they want to possess – and then they call it love.
And that exactly is the mechanic which “twilight” and its ilk follow.
Is it romantic? No, but it's what is seen as Romance.
Does it worry me? At times to no end, like each day I open the newspaper...