Black Coffee discussion

Archives > TV: BET Greenlights The Book of Negroes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments This book was released in the US under the title Someone Knows My Name

The BET network has greenlighted its first miniseries: The Book of Negroes, based on the Commonwealth Prize-winning novel by Lawrence Hill, Deadline.com reported. Cuba Gooding Jr., Louis Gossett Jr. and Aunjanue Ellis star in the six-part miniseries, which BET is producing in partnership with eOne and the CBC.

Shooting is currently underway in Nova Scotia on the project that "began filming in South Africa and has moved to a dozen different locations," CBC News wrote. The book and film tell the story of a woman "who is kidnapped from Africa and sold into slavery in the southern U.S. She later makes her way to Halifax and, finally, to England at the turn of the 19th century."

Hill, who also helped write the screenplay, told CBC News it has been interesting to watch the actors and director interpret his work: "It's fascinating, it's a great honor."

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I heard about this last year and I've been on the lookout for an update so that I could read the book before the first episode airs. Any clue on when it will air?

message 3: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Yes, this sounds very intriguing. I'm always ready for a Cuba Gooding Jr and Louis Gosset Jr film! Now I have to check this book out.

message 4: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2445 comments Mod
Buddy Read!!

message 5: by Carl (new)

Carl Waters (carl_waters) | 81 comments Sweet! This book is available on Audible. Something to read in the car on the way to and from work.

message 6: by Kendric (new)

Kendric Boykin (new_writer24) | 47 comments I need to check this out