Lexington Reads discussion

group reads > "Looking for Alaska" by John Green

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
This is the home for discussion about "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. Feel free to post comments, questions, and critiques!

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments i loved this story!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary It's been a while since I read it, but this is a great book. John Green is an amazing writer, and a really good guy. At this point he's best known for his most recent book, "The Fault in Our Stars." This will be a major motion picture this summer.

message 4: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments I recently finished his An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Am getting ready to read Paper Towns. And then, I think, I'll have all of his books read.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Great read! I'm glad it was suggested as a group read or I might have never discovered John Green. I've got a request in at the library for another of his books now.

message 6: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments I've got a request in at the library for another of his books now.

i <3 john green :)

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Hutchinson (kaylahutchinson) I love John Green's books. It's been a few years since I've read his books, but have a hold on the e-book version of "A Fault in our Stars" from the library.

message 8: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments kayla, make sure you take along a box of kleenex when you read The Fault in Our Stars

message 9: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments I've got a request in at the library for another of his books now."

what have you read, michael? :)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Just the one we're discussing here, but now I'm halfway through "The Fault in Our Stars". I like it so far, but I think these teen characters are a bit too unrealistic. Too much snappy dialogue and seem way too wise and mature beyond their years.

message 11: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments Michael wrote: "Too much snappy dialogue and seem way too wise and mature beyond their years"

have you never known a child with cancer?

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Mari wrote: "Michael wrote: "Too much snappy dialogue and seem way too wise and mature beyond their years"

have you never known a child with cancer?"

A couple. But everybody's different, even if they have cancer. The mature beyond their years I get, but the snappy, witty dialogue is more of what I was talking about. I was also taking into consideration the characters in "Looking for Alaska" as well. I think the dialogue in general would fit more with late 20-somethings than teens.

message 13: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments Michael wrote: "I think the dialogue in general would fit more with late 20-somethings than teens"

I guess we have to agree to disagree.