The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) The Lies of Locke Lamora discussion

A lack of female characters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vnvnvn (new) - added it

Vnvnvn I admit, I haven't read this yet, but from the reviews it seems like there are no important female characters with much screen time in the book.
I'm not a complete romance digger, but I do enjoy minor sub-romance or implications of interest and it feels like something is lacking if a story doesn't have that.
Like I said I haven't read it yet; so if someone would be so kind to prove me right or wrong, I'd appreciate it.(My question also applies to the sequels of the Gentleman Bastard series)

message 2: by Marc (last edited Apr 28, 2014 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marc Jones There are a few minor female characters but no real female presence in the first book. The only real romantic plot points are hinted at and Lockes love interest never appears on page for the first novel. All were really told Is he loved a girl....stuff happened....hes broken up about it.
Strong central female roles only really turn up towards the second and third book.

Richard In the first book, the band of thieves are still quite young, so romance would be very inappropriate, or teen-age crush tedious. Kudos to Lynch for not going down that road. There is one young love-hate relationship that is middle school authentic, if you require that sort of thing.

In the second volume, the lead characters become young men and find romantic interests that do not sidetrack the main plots.

I haven't read the third book yet, however I will.

Gianluca Vnvnvn wrote: "I admit, I haven't read this yet, but from the reviews it seems like there are no important female characters with much screen time in the book.
I'm not a complete romance digger, but I do enjoy mi..."

Sounds like you'd enjoy the second and third book the most. While the first novel only hints to a love interest, the following two fully invest in it. Not to mention a far greater number of strong female characters.

Gianluca Richard wrote: "In the first book, the band of thieves are still quite young, so romance would be very inappropriate, or teen-age crush tedious. Kudos to Lynch for not going down that road. There is one young love..."

To be honest, I don't think age has much to do with it. If I'm not mistaken, most of the main characters are over 20 years old.
Plus, some of them regularly visit brothels (since a young age), so it would still technically be inappropriate, if one follows that line of thought.

Marc Jones I pretty much assumed Locke and Co to be in their 20,s . In any case hes maybe only a few months older in the second book than he is in the 2nd and there,s not real downtime between the 2nd and 3rd.

Gianluca Yes, that's what I thought too. I've read somewhere that Locke is 28 in The Republic of Thieves.

Marc Jones You are indeed correct, you win a no prize :)

message 9: by Vnvnvn (new) - added it

Vnvnvn Thanks for all the answers. Definitely helped me to make up my mind. I will start Gentleman Bastard as soon as I'm finished with my current book :)