Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > What do you think of Publisher Apps?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Mills and Boon has released an App where you can download romantic ebooks straight from them and read them in the specially designed app.

What do you think of publishers who are deciding to release their own estores and moving their business away from other well established sites such as Amazon or Kobo.

As it could cause a problem for self-published authors, I wondered, what was everyone's opinion on publisher ereader apps?

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
I haven't heard of them, but I hate having to leave my credit card info in hundreds of different places so I'd probably wouldn't buy from those publishing houses. But that's just me...

message 3: by Hamid (new)

Hamid Karima | 24 comments This is not a new matter, Smashwords and Booktango(Freetango) publish and sell your writing in e-book format for free.
Generally in every trade, monopoly and chaos both are harmful. If only 2 or 3 great companies activate, it would be monopoly; vice versa if their number grows too much, it is chaos and it isn't good. A kind of balance would always be useful.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments Competition is always good. The company who brings the best product will win out more often than not. Also each company will have to continue to improve their product to stay ahead or catch up to the competition. That usually means better prices and better products for the consumers.

message 5: by Jevon (new)

Jevon Knights (jevonknights) | 46 comments I didn't know there were publisher apps now. But I don't see a problem with it.

I think it introduces opportunities, or problems, for middle guys like bookbaby where you pay one fee and let them worry about getting your books on all the eStores that matter.

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Lawson | 91 comments I don't think it will be a problem. The people who would choose to only use the publisher apps are the people who would avoid self-published books anyway. From the standpoint of a reader, I think it's great to have more options for buying books/

message 7: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments I think that the attitude of agents and publishers toward self-published authors and e-books is stubborn and foolish. Publishers could look at self-published authors to discover new talent. Sites like amazon have things like rankings and reviews so publishers could get a good idea of the marketability of a book. But instead they choose to ignore self-published authors. Agents will say flat out that they will not sign someone who is self-published. So it doesn't surprise me that they are taking another step away from self-published authors and e-books.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments @Keair - I haven't ever seen an agent say they would flat out not sign someone who is self-published (but obviously I'm not omnipotent, so I could be wrong). I have, however, seen them say that they won't sign on to traditionally publish a self-published book, unless that book is already selling like hot cakes. That makes some kind of logical sense, although not 100%: If the book was going to sell, it would sell self-published. If it's not selling, it's not sellable. (That is their logic, anyway.) Obviously I don't agree--indie authors don't have the marketing reach that big companies do.

And most agents don't need to go hunting down clients. They have oodles of clients showing up in their inboxes every day. Why go hunting when a buffet is already sitting on your table?

As for publisher apps, it makes total sense from a company's perspective. Some people will like it (the people who like Apple products, for instance). Some people will think it's ridiculous and stick with the ability for variety (the people who like Android product, like myself).

message 9: by Bisky (last edited May 10, 2014 10:12AM) (new)

Keair you're mistaken, agents and publishers do approach self-published authors. *Points at self* You just need a big enough platform. But as S said, you won't get most agents on the hunt. Or possibly an agent that suits you, as it is a personal thing.

However, it's not a good idea to mention too much about a self published book in a query letter.

message 10: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments Bisky wrote: "Keair you're mistaken, agents and publishers do approach self-published authors. *Points at self* You just need a big enough platform. But as S said, you won't get most agents on the hunt. Or possi..."

That was my experience as well with the query letters. I have also seen many agent sites that say flat out that if you are self-published, they do not want you to query them. I don't know how publishers feel about it because big named publishers make you get an agent and only agents can approach them so I haven't been able to query publishers.

message 11: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments S. wrote: "@Keair - I haven't ever seen an agent say they would flat out not sign someone who is self-published (but obviously I'm not omnipotent, so I could be wrong). I have, however, seen them say that the..."
That would make sense to me as well. However, I have only seen one self-published author end up with a major book deal over being self-published and that was because she was making so much money being self-published that, according to an article I read, no agent or publisher could offer her a better deal than the one she was getting through either amazon or Barns and Noble (I can't remember which). However, I am sure there are self-published authors turned traditional that I don't know about. I, personally, have seen at least a dozen agents that said flat out on their websites that they would not accept queries from self-published authors. This 'battle' between tradition publishing houses and self-publishing is something that Anne Rice has highlighed a few times on her facebook. When it comes to reading, I definitely prefer books in print to digital books. However, as an author right now, digital is really my only option.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments @Keair - I really think that you're misreading what the agent websites say. When I was querying Guarding Angel I scoured over 100 agents' websites to narrow down who I would query. Not a single one said that they wouldn't accept a query from a self-published author. They did say, however, that they don't want you to query a book that you have already self-published. I'm not saying there isn't an agent out there who doesn't want to have anything to do with self-published authors. But the majority of them aren't opposed to it. At least, in the fantasy genre, since that's who I was looking at.

That's good news, though. I've published GA, and I'm considering whether to query another book or whether I want to self-publish it. My (and your) options are open.

It's hard to make it in the publishing industry, whether you're unpublished, self-published, a mid-lister, or anyone except J.K. Rowling. It's just hard, period.

Big companies versus entrepreneurs isn't new, either. It's just how capitalism operates. I suppose if you want to consider it a battle, then you have to be informed as to what you're getting into. If you're not cut out for self-publishing because you don't like being that entrepreneur, it might not be for you. If you enter the battlefield unprepared, you're going to leave bitter about your war scars.

message 13: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments I have no problem being self-published. I wouldn't mind staying self-published for the duration of my career if that is what it takes. My only goal is to have my work out there. You are right. It is difficult to make it in this industry regardless of where you are unless you have a big name. I don't need to be as big as Anne Rice or Stephen King to be satisfied. Sure, that would be great. But it isn't something that I have to have to be happy with my work. I hold no grudge against traditional publishing houses. How could I when they produce the novels that I love so much? I simply do not understand the disdain that many agents and publishers have toward self-published authors and those that they publish through. I have personally been rejected when I was self-published the last time by agents because I was self-published. To tell someone that you don't want their book because it is self-published even though the book can be removed from the site it is on immediately does show that the agent has something against self-published authors, in my opinion. I still hold no ill feelings toward them for that. It simply is what it is. :)

message 14: by Bisky (new)

I wouldn't query a book that was already self-published. And the reason I wouldn't mention too much about being self-published is because you have to see it from the agents angle. They get tons of messages from people who talk about their reviews in the letters. Being self-published is only padding for a query letter. Unless they see the book everywhere they only have your word for it.

message 15: by Samantha (last edited May 11, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments It seems to me that someone who would query a book they already self-published is being disrespectful to those who are serious about self-publishing. I have spent months of hard work and my own hard earned money preparing for self-publishing. I have had over half a dozen CP's scour my work, gotten professional cover art, paid three editors to do three levels of edits, and spent a lot of time drumming up reviewers. I wouldn't dream of putting all that work in, and then going off and querying "just to take it down." And if someone self-publishes without doing the hard work I just mentioned, they're just adding to the pile of SP'ers who give SP'ing a bad name by not taking it seriously.

Agents want to work with someone who is serious and committed to the craft. Therefore, their stance is professional and logical, for all the reasons I just mentioned.

message 16: by Bisky (new)

@S, I never understand why people only write one book xD

As 'padding for a query letter' that sounded abit insensitive of me. I meant for people who are querying later novels. It's padding as in, not something you base the entire query around.

I personally wouldn't want to query anything I self-published. As S said, it kinda defeats the point of self-publishing.

message 17: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 17 comments S. wrote: "It seems to me that someone who would query a book they already self-published is being disrespectful to those who are serious about self-publishing. I have spent months of hard work and my own har..."
I am not trying to be disrespectful but I find your message to be quite judgmental. You mention putting in hard work as if you somehow worked harder than me because of everything you've done. However, because I do not have the means to pay for all of the things you mentioned, I have had to do everything myself. I am very serious about writing. I have done it most of my life. I also want a career in writing. If I landed an agent that could get me a deal with a big publishing house, I would absolutely take my self-published novel down. Can you honestly say that you would not? Anyone that wants a "serious" career in writing would because no matter how hard you work (and at least 9 hours of my day is spent promoting the books I have available and writing the novel I am working on) you will not be able to accomplish with self-publishing what you would accomplish with an agent and a publishing house. That is reality. Those of us that are serious about our futures in this understand that. However, I am able now to look at it in a way that allows me to accept being self-published for the rest of my career if need be. That is not to say that if I were approached by an agent tomorrow that told me he or she would sign me if I removed my novel from amazon, I wouldn't. Of course I would. And for a deal with a publisher like Random House, I will bet you would too.