Maggot Moon Maggot Moon discussion


65 views
suitable reading age for this book?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leona This book is published for YA and I'm wondering what age groups have actually read it and if they enjoyed it and how they came to it.


Jaclyn Hogan L wrote: "This book is published for YA and I'm wondering what age groups have actually read it and if they enjoyed it and how they came to it."

It's quite simply written, but is really, really dark. I'm 28 and was heartbroken by it. That said, it's very good. There's a lot of heart in this one. I'd recommend it for older teens, like 15 and up, unless they're very sensitive. Younger ones could read if they're especially mature, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.


Leona Jaclyn wrote: "L wrote: "This book is published for YA and I'm wondering what age groups have actually read it and if they enjoyed it and how they came to it."

It's quite simply written, but is really, really da..."


I agree it was very powerful but the violence in it is making it difficult for me to recommend it to teenagers. I have however done so yesterday and am a little concerned but I think perhaps we underestimate teenagers....who knows.


Cheryl I think it would be good for a teen 15 and up. I think the subject is powerful and dark. There maybe younger teens who could handle this type of book.


message 5: by Leona (last edited Jul 23, 2014 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leona Cheryl wrote: "I think it would be good for a teen 15 and up. I think the subject is powerful and dark. There maybe younger teens who could handle this type of book."
But do you not think the cover, the pictures and short chapters, might put off older readers who could associate those as being 'childish?' I think Gardener has written in and presented in such a way as to make it accessible to readers who might struggle with reading itself; it's only speculation but since she is dyslexic and speaks out about it I think her book, presentation and content is her way of speaking out. She's not only raising awareness about dyslexia but also the mistreatment, by fellow classmates and the 'institution' while making the book more accessible to a variety of reading abilities, but this accessibility is exactly what could also be it's drawback. Personally I liked her style of writing, the almost poetic feel, but I know that it's not beyond the reach of readers as young as ten and like you say it is very dark in places, too dark for young readers.


Payal This is a lovely, layered, brilliant, clever, heartbreaking book. I'm almost 40 and was really moved by it. I think this would be a good read for teenagers. There are some complex and dark issues discussed. Advanced younger readers may like it too, but may need to have their questions answered.


back to top