Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments For Sci-fi recommendations.

message 2: by Samantha (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:55PM) (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments Title: Division
Author: Karen A. Wyle
Age Group: YA or Adult (Some mature themes)
Published: Self-Published
Short Description/Blurb: I was so impressed with Division that it's one of my top recommended books since I started blogging book reviews. Conjoined twins Gordon and Johnny have never let their condition keep them from living full and fulfilling lives. Gordon looks forward to many years of closeness and cooperation. Johnny, however, faces their future with increasing restlessness, even dread. A new procedure allows them to separate, but they must make a decision whether to come apart or stay together. This is a near-future sci-fi book, and you can read my full review here if you'd like: http://wp.me/p3Z4F3-72

message 3: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments My personal favorite science fiction work, as well as favorite books in general, are the Book of the New Sun series novels by Gene Wolfe. 1) Shadow of the Torturer, 2) Claw of the Conciliator 3) Sword of the Lictor 4) Citadel of the Autarch, and the coda book 5) Urth of the New Sun. It's basically a scifi version of the Once and Future King, but it centers around a torturer who is banished for the sin of mercy. He travels a bizarre future world that is so far in the future that it is almost medieval. For example, people live in "towers" which are spacecraft so old that they no longer fly. The beaches are made of ground up glass rather than sand. It's a truly fascinating and lyrical epic.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Title: Space Traders Unlimited
Author: Julia Rider
Age Group: MG
Published: Traditionally
Short Description/Blurb: This was my very first Sci-fi book as a child. I think I was 11 at the time. It was the book that turned me on to Sci-fi and it holds a special place in my heart. The story is about a boy named Streak living on the streets of Mars, hiding from the authorities, because he is a Portkid. He doesn't remember who he and where he came from. He uncovers a plot to harm the people on Mars and on the way discovers who he is.
Great for MG kids, and will appeal to both boys and girls.

message 5: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) Title: The Loyalty Tests
Author: Kuronoshio
Age Group: mature audiences
Published: Self and free access
Short Description/Blurb: This is a remarkably well written and thought provoking book, in the same sub-genre as Hunger Games and Battle Royale. In an alternate present, where Japan won the Second World War, the totalitarian government maintains control through the social engineering of the Technicians. Sakura Kobayashi is arrested for shop-lifting, labeled a subversive, and is forced to participate in the Loyalty Tests. The rules are simple obey the orders or die painfully. One hundred of the condemned enter, only one can leave. A brutal look at what people will do when given impossible choices.
It is available for the Kindle for a dollar, or you can read it for free on Wattpad http://www.wattpad.com/story/8657004-... (At the time of writing this it is currently #1 in Horror and #2 in Sci-Fi on the site, with approximately 150k reads and 3700 votes).

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Cairns (michaelcairns) | 19 comments My fave Scifi books, which I heartily recommend are:
Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. Kinda cyber-punk urban fantasy scifi. Funny, clever and very cool.
Neuromancer by William Gibson - hugely influential, fabulous look at the future of the internet, written twenty years before anyone really knew what it was going to be!
cheers

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wolfenberger | 85 comments Andy Weir's "The Martian". Best sci-fi I've read this month!

message 8: by Carl (new)

Carl Dune-- Herbert
The Dispossessed --LeGuin