Bibliophiles discussion

Topics for discussion > Do you prefer stand alone books or serie/saga/trilogies?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Share with us which books you read the most and tell us if it is a serie/saga/trilogy or stand alone.

Tell us why you like one book more than the other.

message 2: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) When I finish a standalone I'm always like THATS IT?!

But at the same time:

When I finish a series I'm like THATS IT?!

You feel me?

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Marentes | 2 comments I'm okay with either, but it has to be either a stand alone or else a trilogy/series. I don't really like it if there are just two books, a book and a sequel. Give us more than two!

message 4: by Naura (new)

Naura @Tayla hahaha XD yeah :D

I like stand alones and series too!
there are some books that are best being stand-alones! :)

message 5: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Tayla wrote: "When I finish a standalone I'm always like THATS IT?!

But at the same time:

You feel me?"

I get it. :)

message 6: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Kathleen wrote: "I'm okay with either, but it has to be either a stand alone or else a trilogy/series. I don't really like it if there are just two books, a book and a sequel. Give us more than two!"

I also get this too. :D

message 7: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Naura wrote: "@Tayla hahaha XD yeah :D

I like stand alones and series too!
there are some books that are best being stand-alones! :)"

I agree :)

message 8: by CourtLovesBooks, The Random Astronaut (new)

CourtLovesBooks | 275 comments Mod

But at the same time:

You feel me?"

I totally agree. I always want more, I get to the end of a book and I'm like WHAT?! WHY?! There must be more! I'm pretty sure I read way more series than stand alones but I like both.

message 9: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Renée (booksamillion) | 18 comments It honestly depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a book that can be wrapped up into a nice package... Or sometimes not so nice (standalones) and yet sometimes I want a book that's like CLIFFHANGER. FEEL THE CHARACTER FEELS.
Because I feel like normally it seems like there's more character development in series because well.. There's more books to get to know them.

*cries* it just all depends!!

I'll always go to a standalone when I'm in a book funk though

message 10: by CourtLovesBooks, The Random Astronaut (new)

Emily wrote: "It honestly depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a book that can be wrapped up into a nice package... Or sometimes not so nice (standalones) and yet sometimes I want a book that's like CLIF..."

I agree it really does depend. I've heard other readers say standalones are the best for book funks too.

message 11: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Emily wrote: "It honestly depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a book that can be wrapped up into a nice package... Or sometimes not so nice (standalones) and yet sometimes I want a book that's like CLIF..."

Cool!

I feel that all books are a type of standalones, but only longer than others, because it's a story with more details and stuff :)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Murphy | 66 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm okay with either, but it has to be either a stand alone or else a trilogy/series. I don't really like it if there are just two books, a book and a sequel. Give us more than two!"

You know, I never thought about this before, but I agree.

I think it also depends how good the book is - I desperately wanted more of Gone with the Wind, but I would be happy to leave The Fountainhead forever. However, if I've read one, I almost feel obligated to figure out what happens in the sequels, like with these Hobbit movies. I saw one to see Martin Freeman; now I feel like I've signed up for all three.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliophilebeth) | 2 comments I think it depends on the book as some storyline a weren't meant I be dragged out and should be made stand alone novels as they can get boring if the become part of a series with unnecessary filler.
However on the other hand I there is a rich, exciting story then a series is better as it will let me spend longer in that world and give the author more time to tell their amazing story.
So I love both stand aliens and series when they are used appropriately :)

message 14: by Dragon (new)

Dragon (Word-Eater) | 1 comments Me a lot of the time:

But at the same time:

You feel me?"

Courtney Lives On wrote: I totally agree. I always want more, I get to the end of a book and I'm like WHAT?! WHY?! There must be more! I'm pretty sure I read way more series than stand alones but I like both.

Except for sometimes when, really, I can't see the poor, broken/finally happy characters going on any further. Or unless the series has gone on for something around 20 thousand page long books and I'm just getting bored.

message 15: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Beth wrote: "I think it depends on the book as some storyline a weren't meant I be dragged out and should be made stand alone novels as they can get boring if the become part of a series with unnecessary filler..."

I agree.

message 16: by CourtLovesBooks, The Random Astronaut (new)

I hate it when a series gets so long that it probably should have ended five books ago yet the author keeps dragging it out. Just end it already.

message 17: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Courtney Lives On wrote: "I hate it when a series gets so long that it probably should have ended five books ago yet the author keeps dragging it out. Just end it already."

Totally :)

message 18: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 13 comments Gina wrote: "Courtney Lives On wrote: "I hate it when a series gets so long that it probably should have ended five books ago yet the author keeps dragging it out. Just end it already."

Totally :)"

Except for Agathe Christie - she had her Miss Marple and her Hercule Poirot and I couldn't get enough of them. She also had only three of the Tommy and Tuppence books, which I wish she had done more of.

message 19: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Gallagher | 3 comments I agree Davida I should very much liked to have had more of the Tommy and Tuppence books i think she also wrote a number of romances under a different name Mary Westmacott although I confess to not having read them

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily Murphy | 66 comments Davida wrote: "Except for Agathe Christie - she had her Miss Marple and her Hercule Poirot and I couldn't get enough of them. "

I feel like that's somewhat different, as there is no plot arc through the whole series - it's like a bunch of stand alone books that happen to have the same main character. (I confess I've only seen the movies, but that's what it looks like to me.)

message 21: by Davida (last edited Aug 25, 2014 09:43AM) (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 13 comments Emily wrote: "Davida wrote: "Except for Agathe Christie - she had her Miss Marple and her Hercule Poirot and I couldn't get enough of them. "

I feel like that's somewhat different, as there is no plot arc throu..."

Yes and no. The characters do develop over time, things in their lives change as the years go by. But in general, the thing that connects the books is more the main protagonists than the plots. Mind you, even Harry Potter had only a few threads that went throughout the whole series. If you want a real series of books, take a look at the Masters of Rome books by Colleen McCullough. There are also the Jean Aurel books, that started with the Clan of the Cave Bear.

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) Normally, I prefer stand alone books. However, I've been known to read a series every now and then. I just don't read them consecutively because an author begins to sound the same book after book. You don't notice it so much if you break them up with other content.

Favorites series of mine:

Travis McGee (John D. MacDonald)
Spenser (Robt. B. Parker)
Elvis Cole (Robt. Crais)
Leaphorn/Chee (Tony Hillerman)

Et cetera...

message 23: by David (new)

David Black No hard and fast rules here, but generally prefer stand-alone books. Series and trilogies, when written by the less-skillful can turn formulaic. When I was reading children's books, I liked the repetition of themes and characters, but as an adult my tastes have changed. I also think some writers of multi-book series tend to get verbose when being succinct would serve them better.

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara (elf_13) | 10 comments I have to agree on that with most books.

message 25: by Jamaica (new)

Jamaica Catamora (itsjamxii) | 4 comments I prefer stand-alone books. I am traumatized by series/trilogies books. I remember buying so much books, about 8 books, and little did i know that half of them were part of a series, i mean, different series. I got no choice, i never had the chance to complete each series so i could read them. Money and book wasted. At least, i got an experience. >___<