Bibliophiles discussion

43 views
Bibliophile's book reviews > Laura's reviews on... well pretty much anything (books of course!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) This is the reviews written by yours truly! I'll read anything but lately I've been catching up on YA series' and R&R books! I read at least 3 books a week... soooo yeah! Welcome to my reviewing mind! ^.^


message 2: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "This is the reviews written by yours truly! I'll read anything but lately I've been catching up on YA series' and R&R books! I read at least 3 books a week... soooo yeah! Welcome to my reviewing..."

Wow, it sounds very interesting.

You are truly a bibliophile.

Greetings :)


message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Everwild by Kayla Jo

This is one of those books that you read after having read a bunch of books with the same plot and you just think "so books CAN be different!". That didn't happen to me but I imagine it could happen to someone... :D So anyway down to business.

I got this book on Amazon on a whim and I'm glad I did. From the first page, it absorbed me. This book is about witches and all that fantasy stuff but it puts a new spin on it. It's also very real. the main character, Willow Rose (I LOVE her name by the way!), is an immature 16 year-old but she has her bright moments. she's lived a sheltered life so it was nice to see that the author kept it real by making her act that way. She doesn't know a lot about the world or at the most just knows a bunch of facts with no experiences to go with them which is to be expected for her situation and age.

This is a 4 star book to me for two reasons. One, I'm sure you've heard me say before - it just isn't a true fangirl book for me. I won't obsess over the characters or imagine what it would be like if Willow ended up with someone else or how she will defeat Hekate or anything like that. Yes, I have an extreme urge to get the next one but it wasn't great.

The second reason, I haven' said about many books but I feel like I have to say it about this one. The love story between Willow Rose and Declan was extremely predictable. Declan gets pushed into the portal, they go on a long and dangerous journey alone, they fall in love, and have relationship problems along the way. Of course that isn't entirely true but if I say why, it will be a spoiler and I've been trying so hard lately to have spoiler free reviews so that's that.

So four stars for a really good reality but lacking in the relationship origionality department.

Oh and P.S. I LOVE the cover - beautiful!!


message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

This whole series made me cry. Just reading what each character had to live through (or not live) was well... heartbreaking.

This is a five star series to me for many reasons but I'll just share one with you - the most important one (well to me it's important). This series was realistic. Well as realistic as you can get with werewolves.

Example 1) Sam and Grace's relationship. I love how it's mostly focused on the emotional and not so much on the physical. Granted, there's more physical stuff mentioned in this book than the other ones but there was still that balance. Also, at times, they found it hard to say things to each other. In some other books, the character can say anything to 'the one' but to me that seems a tad unrealistic.

Example 2) The plot antagonist/main problem. There is no world ending, no apocalypse, no extreme circumstances. While that's great and all, it's nice to know that some places in the world are still experiencing the basic problems of trying to keep a pack of wolves/humans alive. It's just a more manageable problem that everyday people can handle (well some people, I can't speak for everyone...)

So five stars!


message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan

OMG this book was just... words are failing me... this hasn't happened before...

This is such a new idea (or at least I haven't read anything quite like this). It leaves me so conflicted! I don't know who I'm rooting for anymore!

The plot, the characters, the romance, the background, everything is perfect! I really don't know what else to say other than I can't wait to read the next one!

Five stars for pure awesomeness!


message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Gina wrote: "Laura wrote: "This is the reviews written by yours truly! I'll read anything but lately I've been catching up on YA series' and R&R books! I read at least 3 books a week... soooo yeah! Welcome t..."

:D


message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs

I'm going with a 3.5 on this one. Honestly, I don't have much to say about it. It's one of those books that when you're reading it, you're totally absorbed and then when you finish you say "What just happened?" I do remember the ending though! I really liked the ending... it wasn't a crazy cliffhanger but it wasn't a dead end that didn't make me want to read the next one. The whole concept of the book is still very intriguing to me but it all seems so far away. I never get totally lost in it. I'm always aware it's just a story and even the girl's problems seem far away from them. I don't really know what I mean by that but that seemed like the right thing to say so I'm going with it.

I promise a more logical review on the next one... 3.5 stars.


message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise White | 9 comments You have an interesting take on your reviews, Laura. Everwild looks like something I'd like :)


message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Louise wrote: "You have an interesting take on your reviews, Laura. Everwild looks like something I'd like :)"

:) Thanks... I think? :D I try to get right to the point so there are rarely any quotes, plot details, etc. in my reviews. Yay! I loved it and I hope you do too :) I don't think it's gotten enough attention for it's goodness!


message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise White | 9 comments I just love it when you underestimate a book and discover that it's really great. I did that with Beautiful Creatures when it first came out and was totally blown away by how good it was!


message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise White | 9 comments I should follow your lead when it comes to reviews, Laura. I'm a little better lately with keeping spoilers at bay, but generally when a book's really good, I get totally carried away and end up writing way too much. I still do that... A bit, but now I try to edit the review a bit before I post, and it seems to have more impact than the longer version.
You do not want to sit next to me watching a movie that I've seen before!


message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) :) Me too! i start some books with low expectations and it ends up on my favorites list!

:D wow it's the exact opposite for me! If a book is really good (like Firelight) I'm just struck speechless and have no idea what to type! Yeah at least whenever I'm reading reviews I like denser, shorter ones rather than ones that go on and on... except when there are spoilers (I'm such a sucker for spoilers...) Lol


message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise White | 9 comments Got to be honest- I like to read the spoilers, but I can appreciate that many people don't want too much info. Even when I really know that I shouldnt and that I'll regret it, I can't help myself with opening the spoilers.I have no self control- It's like a compulsion with me- as soon as I see that something's hidden, I just have to reveal it! :)


message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Louise wrote: "Got to be honest- I like to read the spoilers, but I can appreciate that many people don't want too much info. Even when I really know that I shouldnt and that I'll regret it, I can't help myself w..."

Lol same with me!


message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4) by Orson Scott Card

I know I said I would be tougher with my ratings but it doesn't seem like I'm reading any books that deserve less than 4 stars! Lucky me!

The Ender's Game series is one of the densest book series I've ever read. It was like a stuffed sandwich. It was simply crammed full of tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, and bacon. In other words, it was full of philosophical stuff that made me wonder just how much of the series Orson Scott Card planned out. It was either planned to the very last detail or everything seemed to fall into place like it was meant to be - I can't decide. I know this sounds so cheesy but it just seemed right. It wasn't forced and although the flow was a little slower than any other book I'd read, it was so dense it made it up to me.

That is one of the things I want to warn you about. If you like a fast/easy read, this might not be the best book to read on a whim. It took me quite a long time to read this and digest it. To understand it. It's puzzling, sometimes frustrating, rewarding, but above all, it opened my mind to so many possibilities which is something I value deeply in a book.

There is one more thing I feel as though I should alert you to. As I progressed through this series, I noticed that while clearly, the author tried to make it emotional, the depth sometimes gets in the way of that which didn't enable me to feel true joy or sorrow at any of the events that came to pass. It was philosophical and nothing else. This is the kind of book (and the type of series) I would read if I want to learn more about myself and the human race in general. The author offered so many insights into our way of life and what it could be like in the future it was almost uncanny. Orson Scott Card is truly a brilliant author in my eyes.

So overall, a 5 star book! Just be cautions if you're looking for a fast and easy read!


message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

I'm going with a 3.5 on this one. It's probably slightly unfair of me but... sometimes I'm not rational when I'm rating books. It feels right so that's what I'm going with!

I guess first and foremost I should say that I had no idea there was a fourth one so I was fully expecting the story/rebellion to be wrapped up at the end of this book. I don't know what delusion I was under that I wanted the series to end that quickly but you already know I'm weird and clueless sooo... yeah with that out of the way let's get onto my review!

Even after I found out there's a fourth one, I still feel as though it ended rather abruptly. Like how you climb to the top of a big hill for a gorgeous view and then you pass out 2 seconds before you see over the top and your buddies carry you back down. I was reading and reading and suddenly, there weren't any more words!

I just thought of another rational explanation as to why I rated this book 3.5 stars! So you know Crescent, the girl who is trapped in the satellite and the one for which the books is named? Yeah THAT Crescent! I just felt like she didn't belong in Cinder's story although I know she plays a big role. I just don't thing the author did a good enough job of really giving her a place in the book. It seemed like Thorne and Cress were just a side show off in the desert while everyone else took care of the main plot. Also the bombshell with the doctor and Cress (people who read it know what I'm talking about!) felt forced and not incorporated into the book.

So all in all, a wonderful storyline and idea (this series is FANTASTIC!) but somehow it just seemed thrown together to me.


message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan

This book was better than the first one but also slightly worse. And before you ask, I have no idea what I mean. Every book has it's up's and down's right? It's good and bad sides?

I suppose for the two books I've read, I don't understand Jacinda's actions and thoughts at all. While I'm glowering at her mother, she's defending her (mostly in the first book but some in this one). Then, she believes she belongs with the pride despite their efforts to clip her wings, breed her, among other things. And it seems to me that she's unhappy there. Sometimes I wan't to slap some sense into that girl! Unfortunately for me and fortunately for her, she's fictional and not real.

Despite all my grievances, I still feel like Vanish deserves 4 stars. The idea is just so new to me and the way the author presents it and seems to think of everything draws me in. That and Jacinda's complicated romantic life.

Another thing that redeemed this book was the fact that there was never a dull moment. Even in the middle when she's just settling in with the pride again, there are revelations and twists and turns that kept me interested. I read it straight through!

4 stars for creativity and presentation but lacking in the disconnect between Jacinda and her rational feelings (my opinion people!). I can't wait to read the next one!


message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3) by Wendy Higgins

This book was just as spectacular as the rest of the series. The characters, the romance, the plot, the world-building, everything! It's funny how I can't seem to find the words to praise a book but I can to express my displeasure... I need to work on that!

This book was chock FULL of plot twists! I wouldn't have been surprised if all the plot twists combined to create one gigantic plot twist that consumed the entire book! It was beautiful really. Wendy Higgins has truly created a masterpiece of dark romance swirled within a mystical plot. And now you can tell I have an ice cream craving. Brilliant Laura. Absolutely brilliant.

What I'm trying to explain here is that the mix of elements was perfect. The exactly ration of chocolate to vanilla, ketchup to hamburger, romance to danger. The author knowing that this is what makes a great book and actually doing it, well those are two very different feats. And Ms. Higgins was able to truly create a great book.

I have one grievance and one grievance only. It is as follows: there was no true build up to the climax. Yes, Anna and everyone else had a deadline (well not really a deadline but a time in which they had to attack) that was creeping toward them and they didn't have enough allies. For the scale of the book and the overall build up over the course of the trilogy, I would have expected more suspense and ultimately, a longer 'battle' at the end. It was fine as it was, but without that proper build up, it seemed small and insignificant even when some beloved characters die. You all know I'm an emotional reader but this book didn't touch my deepest emotions. That's what killed this books 5 star rating in the end.

I really really REALLY wanted to give this book 5 stars but I know it just isn't possible with that one problem I had with the book. It's truly tragic that's what it is. So 4 stars. 5 almost stars!

P.S. The epilogue was PERFECTION!


message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

So I actually finished this 2 days ago but I've been debating whether or not to rate this 5 stars. I wanted to. I really did. But I just couldn't overlook some of the things that irked me in this book (namely one thing actually).

I loved this series and I can't believe I didn't read it sooner! The main character is a perfect mix of hilarious, serious, badass, and just lovable. She's such a beautiful character and I'm sorry to see her go. The rest of the characters are amazing as well (Dimitri *swoons*). (view spoiler)

Now, the plot. The dang plot. It was good and then it was just ok and there were some parts I questioned. I should probably explain myself. So when Rose was (view spoiler) I was like WHAT???? THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!! And then a page later she just (view spoiler) so that was annoying beyond belief. Everything else was just hunky dory though! I loved how Rose was being proactive about her sentence rather than being submissive. That's the Rose I know! :D

Overall, it had amazing romance, heartbreak, action, suspense, and characters. Sometimes though, the plot seemed a bit out of wack. So 4 stars!


message 20: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2014 04:37PM) (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass

The second book, The Elite, was such a flop for me that I had my doubts about this book. I have to say can't believe I ever had them. America finally grows up in this book - YAY!! *claps hysterically* This is an amazing day :D

Ms. Cass keeps you guessing until the very end as to who America will pick or rather, if Maxon will pick her over Kriss (we all know by now that the other girls aren't really in the running... right?). I don't want to give too much away but let's just say the stakes shift about halfway through when suddenly, America isn't really the one choosing anymore. I was Team Maxon all the way ever since the second half of The Selection. I won't tell you if America and Maxon end up together because that's basically the whole point of this trilogy but I will say I was fairly satisfied with the ending.

The ending tied everything up and was really suspenseful and kept me engaged until the very end of the epilogue. I'm actually hoping Ms. Cass will write a novella that takes place after the epilogue because it really doesn't say what happens with the country and the rebels and all that.

Speaking of the rebels, there were some big revelations in this book. Both relating to the rebels and not (but the rebels ended up causing the largest waves). This book was CHOCK FULL of plot twists!

There are also plenty of tears shed. I'll warn you up front that quite a few characters die (most of which I've come to love... especially that one girl... you people who've read this book know of whom I speak...). There's tons of drama. It's a good drama though. Not at all like The Elite drama where, in my opinion, America was being whiny.

I seriously don't have anything else to say... it was just amazing. Like I'm speechless. So five stars!

Oh and P.S. if you caught the whole blue, red, and white thing with the covers, you're awesome! All of the covers are beautiful!

P.S. Ms. Cass is writing a novella entitled The Queen which tells the story of Queen Amberly! So excited!!

Five stars!

This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...


message 21: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2014 04:38PM) (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien
This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

These books require a certain mindset that is very different from the mindset of a reader reading a light YA book such as Cinder by Marissa Meyer. First of all, it uses a fair amount of oldish speak and lengthy conversations that can go on for several pages. The trick is to really read the words and not just sort of skim/fast-read them. You have to pay attention to every word. I was able to attain this mindset about halfway through the book. After I was able to do that, the world just came to life for me.

J.R.R. Tolkien definitely has a different writing style. You wouldn't think it would be very descriptive but it is. He tends to use personification as well as metaphors to build his world. If you read a descriptive line and then close your eyes, it's fairly easy to imagine.

I actually saw the movies before I read the books and I think that actually helped me instead of hurting my perseption of the book. Yes, there were some major differences (like how Faramir actually wasn't a total crazy person who was power-hungry just like Boromir). But unlike other books, I was able to spot those differences and clearly separate them in my mind from the books. So I was still able to enjoy the books while having the movies to lean on if I ever couldn't really visualize something.

When I looked at the page count, I couldn't believe it. 322 pages?! It felt like 500! This book is just lengthy. Even though it isn't very long literally, it takes a long time to read. Maybe it's just me. I couldn't read it very fast mostly because the pacing was just that slow. The only fast part was near the end. It just seemed like everything was happening underwater in slow motion. So that's why it's four stars and not five. This truly is a master piece and plenty of lessons can be learned but it just dragged on and on and on for me.

I almost forgot about the characters! Sam is one of the best friends anyone could have. He stays with Frodo through the thick and thin and even at the end, he is willing to share the burden. Even though he's just Frodo's gardener, he's evolved to so much more. Frodo truly couldn't have gotten far without Sam. My other favorite character is Legolas. I've always loved the elves and Legolas is no exception. He's just so awesome and wise but also admits when he's wrong and is willing to learn.

Four stars for excellence in every way except pacing!

Four stars!


message 22: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers
This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

This is the second book in the His Fair Assassin series the first being Grave Mercy.

The setting is amazing - I can picture nearly every scene in my head just from the words on the page.

I just love assassin books in general. The main character is so strong. However the book finds ways to find cracks in the assassin's armor to keep it real. I mean, no person is perfectly impenetrable and aloof.

"Jewels can be replaced, cousin. Independence, once lost, cannot."

The one thing I disliked about this book is the old cliche that a guy and a girl go on a journey together and end up falling in love. Seriously. I've never read one book where the main character goes on a trip with the opposite gender and doesn't end up with them either in the middle for at least a little bit or at the end. It's crazy and annoying and I was almost wishing that Beast wouldn't still love Sybella for the secrets she kept. I know it's mean of me...

"I cannot tell her I have been moping over a broken heart when I have worked so hard to convince her I have no heart at all."

Speaking of Sybella's secrets, I thought it was just incredible how she's still living with herself after everything she went through. Her childhood was absolutely horrendous. Just when I thought she was done revealing secrets about her past, another one would pop out of her mouth. It was insane!

"And just as love has two sides, so too does Death. While Ismae will serve as His mercy, I will not, for that is not how He fashioned me. Every death I have witnessed, every horror I have endured has forged me to be who I am -- Death's justice."

The flow was excellent. It kept me up reading until 1 am! It isn't all fast-paced but there is a sense of urgency behind everything so it never gets boring.

“I am left with the conviction that an avalanche would be easier to dissuade than that man.”

Overall, it was well written but that cliche about Sybella and Beast's relationship knocked off a star.

Four stars!


message 23: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King
This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

This is actually a 3.5 book for me, following GR's rating system (and mine too people!). I liked this book and I sort of really liked this book. Therefore, a 3.5!

Stephen King has a very different writing style that has evolved over his years of writing. In this stage of his career, he took on a mysterious, metaphorical style/theme. So much is left to the reader to reason out on their own. Everything about this book is covered in shadow.

This is also one of those onion books. You can read it and say "Omg SO confusing! I don't get it! What's the dude's name again??" or you can say "I just looked into a never ending pool of unspoken wisdom. Mind-blown.". I had a little of both actually. Which is why I loved and hated it at the same time. When I first started reading, I was beyond confused. I haven't read many books that are mysterious as this one so it was difficult to get into the right mindset. However, once I read this passage:

"The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but Size. Size encompasses life, and the Tower encompasses Size. The child, who is most at home with wonder, says: Daddy, what is above the sky? And the father says: The darkness of space. The child: What is beyond space? The father: the galaxy. The child: Beyond the galaxy? The father: Another galaxy. The child: Beyond the other galaxies? The father: No one knows. You see? Size defeats us."

It just struck me then what I hadn't grasped throughout the entire book. This concept of the universe moving on. That life is a concept of thought. That our world is always temporary. Nothing is ever really permanent. Just as everything must have a beginning, it also must have an end. Now different people may perceive this book and it's message in different ways, my way being one of billions. The point is that it isn't a flippant book.

It's because of all that that I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. It was very well written with a fairly good plot. By fairly good I mean I loved it but in some places, the timeline skipped in weird places or went to fast or too slow for my tastes. Anyway, I'm not rating it 3.5 stars for some ulterior motive or because I'm 'deducting stars' or anything. I just liked it. That's it. I will be reading the next one to see what happens to the gunslinger on his quest.


message 24: by Laura (last edited May 24, 2014 04:37PM) (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Deadlands (The Healer Series, #2) by Kayla Jo

I'm sitting pretty between a 3 and 4 star on this. I suppose I'll start with how I discovered this series.

*mind cloud* It all started a few months ago when I was cruising Amazon's free books. I came upon a book by the name of Everwild written by the one and only Kayla Jo. Because it was free I was like "what the heck" and bought it. I was impressed by the storyline and such and decided to get the next one (Deadlands) and read it! And here's where we collide with the present!

This book was saved by the plot. Without the amazing plot, I probably would have given it a solid 3 star, possibly even 2.5. The writing was just so stiff! I never got lost in the story, having to focus too much on making sense of the dialogue that sometimes didn't use contractions when appropriate.

Also, it seemed to me that the author kept forgetting how mature she wanted all the characters to be. Especially Willow. One minute, she'd be so deep and philosophical and the next, she'd be screaming and panicking because a bunch of birds blocked her way. It was like she's incapable of thinking without Declan and even with him, she's pretty hopeless. She was just so weak and squeamish! EVERY LITTLE THING had her screaming and squealing and whatever else. It got so annoying after a while. Also, there were such obvious things that she couldn't reason out by herself! Like how the Elves referenced "The Three" and Willow couldn't possibly fathom what THAT meant.

With all the aside, the rest was pretty good. The plot was just excellent. There were so many plot twists and adventure. The ending was perfect as well. Not necessarily a cliffhanger but it still made me want to read the next one!

This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...


message 25: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan

This book was better than the first one but also slightly worse. And before you ask, I have no idea what I mean. Every book has it's up's and down's right? It's good ..."


I totally disliked this book, I'll write my review soon.

And I'm currently reading Hidden and it is going okay.

:)


message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) That's sad :( But good that Hidden is going good :) I can't wait to read you're review!


message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Just After the Fall by Eric James-Olson
See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...
This is actually a slightly longer/different one than I posted on GR...

Thank you to the author Eric James-Olson for a free copy in return for an honest review!

I just learned 10 minutes ago that this is the 3rd book in a series.

This book was... strange. Not a bad strange though. Just a... different strange. Think a variation of Brave New World.

So I didn't know this was part of a series when I first started reading it. So while I was reading it, I was thinking "where's the world-building?!" because there was pretty much nada in the whole book (there was... 2 chapters I believe). Buuuuut, now that I know that, I think I can reasonably assume there is some world-building in the other 2 books.

Back to the book. I really loved Lawrence and Maria's relationship in comparison with the other people. Like in Brave New World, "everyone belongs to everyone else" therefore there are no true marriages. But Lawrence and Maria were as good as married. They were totally committed to each other. Basically the entire book was centered around Lawrence and Maria finding each other. Somewhat. Which brings me to my next point.

The biggest reason I rated this 3.5 stars is because there didn't seem to be a main plot. There were plenty of co and sub plots but there wasn't a dominant one. Now some people may like this kind of thing. Me? I find it hard to focus on the book then and it isn't as intense for me. So there's that.

The other reason is the flow was kind of... I don't know... off? There was a bunch of jumping backward and forward in time which sometimes made sense and sometimes didn't. The one time change I enjoyed was when it would switch back to the lecture hall scene after or before an important scene in the 'present'. This gave a lot of meaning to the book and made a lot of things about their society and just about the book's message clearer.

So overall, this is a good book, just not really my cup of tea. But as you know, I don't base my ratings solely on whether I like it or not. The writing really was very good as well as the message which is what will matter to all you in the long run!

"Lawrence nodded his head. “George died for the existence of sin, for without right and wrong, regardless of who defines right and wrong, men cannot co-exist."

"'These people were savages before Abraham brought them this religion of his. With El, he has created order. With El, he has created community. With El, he has created morality, a real morality with real consequences for transgressors. With El, he has
pulled this multifarious assembly of desperate fugitives out of a state of nature and into a state of collective peace and cooperation.'”

“'It was a lie,' he whispered. He said this to himself and he said it again with growing intensity, 'A lie. A lie! It was all a lie!' he shouted with his head tilted back, and his eyes wild with savage fervor."

“'I know I know. Even if there were a million other women.'
'That’s right now, you hear. Even if there was a million girls, I’d be lookin’ at you.'
'Silly man.'
Lawrence put his arm around Maria as they continued down the trail."

'When we first came to the wilderness there was only survival. There was no right or wrong. We had nothing. We knew nothing. In the wilderness,' Chet laughed, 'the moralist is the first to die. But Abraham brought our morals back to us. He brought law and order. He brought a belief, a shared goal, a reason to live. For that I forgive him.'"


message 28: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "That's sad :( But good that Hidden is going good :) I can't wait to read you're review!"

Thank you :)


message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) ^.^


message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Finding What Is by Tabitha Vohn
See this review on my blog : http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Wow. I mean... just wow. I seriously loved this book. I just... I don't I know ok? *deep breath* Let's do this.

The heartache the main character has to go through throughout the course of this book is incredible. It's people like this that inspire the rest of us to keep going. The main character, Willie, is truly trying to find herself through everything that just keeps piling up on her. You'd think after a while, she'd just say screw it but she keeps going. That was truly amazing to me.

Also, just a little side note, reading this book made me want to read poetry again. I gave it up a while ago but I'm taking it back up again!

I literally could not put this book down. I read until 3am. I actually put off writing a review because really, I don't know what to say.

Now be warned haters-of-love-triangles, there is a love triangle in this book. But it isn't really the typical love triangle. There's art, passion, abuse, and sharing mixed in. It's so much more complicated than the typical "I want you to be mine not his!" and "No choose ME!!". Willie was abandoned and found again. To be truthful, the thing I loved most about this book was the cover and the title and how completely it wrapped up the entire story. I mean, have you SEEN the cover?! Amazing *wipes tear away*

So back to the point, the plot. It was fabulous. Like I already said, I couldn't put it down until it was done. And even then, I had to just sit for a minute and digest everything. It made me cry, laugh, and gasp in total shock. I was completely immersed. That's what a good book does to me. I forget about my world and I'm in the book's reality.

I highly recommend this book. 5 stars.

“I was thinking of how, when we think of loss in our life, how our sense of ‘home’ was the first thing to go. You know, we lose that place of childhood innocence, of feeling protected. And so many of us spend the rest of our lives trying to reclaim that place called home, that life made simple again.”

“Sometimes skin to ground [is] the most comforting place; nowhere to go but up.”


message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan
See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

I'm actually going with a 3.5 on this one mainly just for one reason. I really loved the other books in this series but his one just seemed, I don't know... less grounded than the other ones. For example, when Ms. Jordan was writing scenes with any of the characters in their dragon forms, I couldn't distinguish whether they were actually human or dragon. I realize they are the same on the inside and their emotions and all that are the same. Just the way you she wrote it... Like how she didn't use dragon anatomy (is that the sciency word for it?). She would say for example, "he wrapped her into a hug, his hands cupping her face" when he was actually a dragon. This just confused me and I'd often have to go back and see what form they were really in.

Other than that, I really liked this book. It's such an original idea (at least that I've read). The main character retained all her personality and didn't undergo a major unrealistic personality change throughout the books.

Really, I don't have that much to say honestly. I liked the ending although it almost seemed a little thrown together like it couldn't possibly be the end of the series. I loved the ending scene though, that was beautiful :)

3.5 stars.

Oh and P.S. all the covers in this series are beautiful!

"“Hi," I return, gesturing to the fish. "Nice catch."
"Yeah. I'm kind of impressed with myself. I always thought redheads were sexy."
"Ha-ha. I meant the fish."
"Ah. Yes.” "

"“Then again, there’s nothing simple about Will. I think back to what he can do—bend earth, resist shading, his immense strength—and it’s glaringly inaccurate to consider him a human. But then I can’t think of him as a draki either. And this strikes me as sad. Will doesn’t belong anywhere. Not among humans. Not among draki.
But he belongs with me. The conviction is still there, as senseless and dangerous as always, seeping into my bones, my heart. A fact I wouldn’t change even if I could.” "

“Before I sought truth. Now I seek justice.”


message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs
See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Ok can I just say how long it's been since I've read the world "peculiar"?? I just love that word :)

One of my favorite things about this book is how the author used REAL pictures and integrated them into the story. That made me feel like I could travel where the main character did and everything would be there! Well not there because of the ending... but you know what I mean.

Also, I love this idea of peculiar children living in loops of time. I don't know HOW the author thought of this but I'm glad he did!

After hearing that little speil, you're all probably wondering why the heck I didn't give this book 5 stars. Well the answer is really quite simple. It just didn't take me there. I found it hard to picture the scenery (obviously the stuff that isn't in the pictures). I would often have to go back and reread all the room descriptions to try and form a picture.

I suppose it's really two reasons actually... I was REALLY confused when the whole 'time travel' thing was explained (jumping from loop to loop). I think that could have been elaborated on. Or maybe it's just in the next book... who knows? Well obviously the people who've read it but I haven't gotten that far yet!

Oh and one more thing that I loved! I loved the idea that Miss Peregrine brought up. How the children are actually 80 something years old and yet they still are children. It shows that life experiences are all part of growing up and these children didn't have those.

“She moved to pinch me again but I blocked her hand. I'm no expert on girls, but when one tries to pinch you four times, I'm pretty sure that's flirting.”

“I didn’t know what to call it, what was happening between us, but I liked it. It felt silly and fragile and good.”

“Sometimes you just need to go through a door.”

“How many times have I told you? Polite persons do not take supper in the nude.”

“I did love her, of course, but mostly because loving your mom is mandatory, not because she was someone I think I'd like very much if I met her walking down the street.”

“Forgive me. I continue to underestimate the breadth of your ignorance.”

“Stars, too, were time travelers. How many of those ancient points of light were the last echoes of suns now dead? How many had been born but their light not yet come this far? If all the suns but ours collapsed tonight, how many lifetimes would it take us to realize we were alone? I had always known the sky was full of mysteries—but not until now had I realized how full of them the earth was.”

“When someone won't let you in, eventually you stop knocking.”

“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”


message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Several of my friends recommended this series to me and after seeing the hype that was created by the upcoming City of Heavenly Fire release, I decided to give it a shot. Can I just say how glad I am that I did? When I add books to my TBR list, they can get in line behind 2000 other books. This series, however, got special treatment because of the hype and was moved to the front of my list. Now you're asking "Why Laura, how could you let yourself be manipulated into reading this book sooner than other books that were probably just as good?" Weeeeell... I don't think I can answer that actually. So let's just get down to the review.

All of you TMI fans out there are looking at my 4.5 star review and going "WHAT?!?! That's so close to 5 stars and you just... just... NO!" Well let me explain myself.

I can see where all the hype is coming from. This book caught my attention right away what with the 'invisible people' and all. And JACE! Oh Jace, you may just be the love of my life and I've only known you for however long it took me to read this book... 3 hours? *sighs* And Clary. I can't tell you how much I love her. She just so... realistic. And totally clueless which was adorable :D

Annnyyyyway back to the point. I docked half a star because I felt like there wasn't enough explaination when it came to the Shadowhunter world. Like there were the scenes in the library where stuff was just thrown at you and you clung desperatly to the edge of the cliff trying to soak it all up... Yeah. I think there's a prequel series right? The Infernal Devices? Or something or other? So maybe that's all better explained in those books. Either way, I just felt slightly overwhelmed and I only managed to hold onto a few tidbits of info that seemed relatively important.

Other than that teensy little problem, I loved it! The plot twists and action at the end were INTENSE man! Crazy. I can't wait to read the next one!

Warning: some spoilery quotes ahead

“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”


“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”


“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”



“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.”


“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.”


“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.”

This review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...


message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Yes, I've finally read The Book Thief! I cheated though... About halfway through the book, I watched the movie. I almost didn't pick the book back up again because of the ending! Don't worry though, it's a good ending - really :) So with that confession aside, let's get to the book review.

This book is most definitely an onion book. It took me like 2 months to read (which is a lifetime for me and books) to even try and decipher the most prevalent of meanings. You can choose to dig deep or swim on the surface. The level at which you read is entirely up to you.

I actually finished this book a while back but it took me a while to collect my thoughts to write a coherent review.

This was a captivating book, but at the same time, I found myself reluctant to pick it up. I'm still not sure why. Maybe because it felt like I was truly there. That's happened before while I've been reading a book, but this one is special. Every painful moment, I was wincing along with the characters. In almost every other book I read, I know that the main character will survive and the person he/she loves and they'll be okay even though some of their friends may die or move on. Not in this book. This book felt so much like real life that it also picked up the uncertainties of real life. You don't kno whow things will play out or end up. It may be wrong of me, but that's why I docked half a star. It's still going on my favorite list though - don't worry :)

The thing I love most about this book is that it's from Death's perspective. I've never read a book like that before. It added a whole new element to the story which pushed it to the next level.

While reading, I got to know the characters so well. This certainly isn't a fast read, but it's a deep one. I wish more books connected with me like this one did so well. It may have taken a long time to read, but every second was worth it.

This is a totally ordinary story. But it's also so extraordinary. Read it and you'll know what I mean.

This isn't a shallow story about a girl who lives in Germany during WWII. You can certainly read it that way but I prefer it as something more. That something is going to be different for everyone which is what makes this book so amazing. If you haven't read The Book Thief yet, I strongly encourage you to.

4.5 out of 5 stars!


message 35: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Wow, I'm waiting to finish reading most of the books you have above in order to read your reviews.

I'm excited :)

Have you made any review on Divergent??


message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) :D I actually haven't written a review for Divergent yet! I've read it a bunch of times and seen the movie but somehow it never got reviewed... I didn't do Insurgent either. I did do Allegiant though - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I'll have to get on that!


message 37: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Laura wrote: ":D I actually haven't written a review for Divergent yet! I've read it a bunch of times and seen the movie but somehow it never got reviewed... I didn't do Insurgent either. I did do Allegiant th..."

Thanks :)


message 38: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Several of my friends recommended this series to me and after seeing the hype that was created by the upcoming City of Heavenly Fire release, I decided to give it ..."


I liked this review very much, I loved the movie and Jace ;) but I haven't been able to read the book yet.

I'm hoping to read City of Ashes soon or Clockwork Angel.

Greetings!


message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Gina wrote: "Laura wrote: "City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Several of my friends recommended this series to me and after seeing the hype that was created by the upcoming City of Heavenly Fire release, I decid..."


I haven't updated this in so long! I'll get on that :) I'm glad you liked it! I wrote a review for City of Ashes - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm only halfway through the TMI series - and there are so many companion series' to get through!


message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Liquid Diet by William Tedford

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Thank you to Whitney Martin on behalf of the Zharmae Publishing Press for allowing me to read and review this book!

Liquid Diet almost reminds me of a horror story. Just the ideas that are presented are horrific in nature. I mean it does belong to the horror genre but you know what I mean! The thing I liked about it though was now it was presented in the book. It wasn't thrown in your face how horrible the situation is and how everything is terrible. It's just given to you as if it resembles normalcy. I've never really seen that done before, how characters can be so panicked about the situation and still accept things and not totally freak out.

Second thing - if you're touchy about reading books about lust or sex, I wouldn't recommend this. William Tedford's kind of vampire's are... definitely different than Stephanie Meyer's type of vampires. However if you're up for it, this is such an intense book and the pages just fly by. Mr. Tedford's vampire's are darker, more mysterious, and just more in tune with our animal side. They aren't human and he doesn't try and make them out to be.

Third thing - the ending. I loved the ending. I don't want to spoil anything but it ended with a sense of recurrence. Of cycles. If another book ended like this one but without that sense, I would have desperately begged the writer for a sequel. But for this book, it connects with it's ancient heritage and you understand what comes next without it having to be spelled out for you.

The one thing I disliked about Liquid Diet was the middle part when everything was escalating. Again, I'm trying not to spoil anything so I'm sorry if I'm being cryptic! It went from small problem to all of a sudden the whole town is gone. It just seemed a little sudden.

Along those same lines, I just loved the overall shape of the book. How it started by pinpointing one hitchhiker and widening the range gradually until at the end we learn of the whole society. It wasn't thrown at you, you were eased into it.

Liquid Diet was definitely a page-turner for me - 4 stars!


message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

See this review on my blog:
http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

It was good. I've read so many other books that involve angels and Heaven and Hell and that whole shebang. So I suppose it took me a while to separate them in my mind. Also, because as you've probably noticed, I'm in a bit of a review slump. None of the books on my currently reading shelf in GR I actually am reading. I finished all of those weeks ago. Oops?

So anyway... I thought the writer did an excellent job of separating Hush, hush from the rest of the angel books. It has the same general idea (they all have to because it's such a well known concept) but she put a different spin on it.

The only thing I didn't like was the whole explanation part. You know when a character becomes aware of the whole new world living alongside their own world? I was really confused when it got to that part and didn't pick up on much at all which made the ending of the book particularly confusing.

Otherwise, I loved Nora and Patch's relationship. It was so... real. There wasn't really any insta-love (if there was, it was offset by Nora's suspicion of Patch). I really don't have anything else. We'll have to see how the series plays out before I can decide if I really love it or not!



“You smell good, too,” said Patch
"It’s called a shower.” I was staring straight ahead. When he didn’t answer, I turned sideways. “Soap. Shampoo. Hot water.”
"Naked. I know the drill.”

“Say 'provoking' again. Your mouth looks provocative when you do.”

“Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't.”

“I don't go out with strangers," I said.
"Good thing I do. I'll pick you up at five.”

“Hang on, did you just call me Angel?" I asked.
"If I did?"
"I don't like it."
He grinned. "It stays, Angel.”

“All this time I've hated myself for it. I thought I'd given it up for nothing. But if I hadn't fallen, I wouldn't have met you.”

“Call me Patch. I mean it. Call me.”

“If you can't feel, why did you kiss me?"Patch traced a finger along my collarbone, then headed south stopping at my heart. I felt it pounding through my skin. "Because I feel it here, in my heart," he said quietly.”

Four stars!


message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

This book is seriously addicting. Probably because the author is very reluctant to give us any solid information which keeps everything cloaked in shadow. We don't actually understand what Karou is exactly until the very end and we don't even know what she does until page 30 or so. Which was a problem for me and the reason this is 4 stars instead of 5. It was like in the beginning, the author was writing a completely different book. Almost like she couldn't decide what Karou was doing exactly. So the beginning threw me a little and it took me a while to settle in. Once that road bump passed though, everything was smooth sailing.

I loved the whole thing with the teeth. It definitely added to the bizarre nature of this book. The first book is really just an introduction to the real story. Also, I absolutely loved Akiva's character. He's had a rough life and the author doesn't try to disguise that or make excuses for him. He is what he is.

The one other thing I really didn't like was the disconnect between part 1 and part 2. A few months have passed all of a sudden when the author made the jump and I didn't like how she just left the storyline from 'before' hanging while Karou went about finding her nonhuman friends. So I suppose it should be a 3.5 star book but somehow, I can't bring myself to give it that rating. I have hope for the rest of the series and this was a great introduction book once the author figured out the world she was writing in.



Quotes:
“Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist.
And a devil knelt over him and smiled.”

“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”

“It's not like there's a law against flying."
"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”


“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”

“Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world. No matter what happens. I need you to remember that I love you.”


“How much does your life have to suck to want the Apocalypse?”

“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.
It did not end well.”

Four stars!


message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

I am completely speechless. The ending!!!!!! At least Silver Shadows is coming out on the 29th... I don't know if I'd survive otherwise!

We finally get some from Adrian's POV!! I just love that. Adrian and Sydney together are just perfection people. So things get a lot more complicated in this book when Zoe arrives. Stupid little brainwashed Zoe. Ugh I could just strangle her! However, I'll be a good person and allow you all to decide for yourself how horrible she is. She does some really bad stuff in this book (if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about!) that I won't forgive her for even if she's brainwashed by her father.

There are some big revelations in this book that I think I saw coming. Again, I won't tell you more than that or I'd ruin the book for you!

I read this all in one shot, it was so addicting. I simply adore this series and can't wait for Silver Shadows! I'll give a more complete analysis of the characters either in my Silver Shadows review or The Ruby Circle review (the 6th book in the series) because honestly, I can't think about that much right now when I'm craving Silver Shadows!


Quotes:

“Relax, having kids is years away. But can you imagine? Your brains, my charm, our collective good looks... then add in the usual physical abilities dhampirs get.
It's really not even fair to everyone else.”


“I won’t lie. Walking into a room and seeing your girlfriend reading a baby-name book can kind of make your heart stop.
“I’m no expert,” I began, choosing my words carefully. “Well—actually, I am. And I’m pretty sure there are certain things we have to do before you need to be reading that.”


“I didn’t care about anything except her and the way touching her drove me wild, even as her calm and steady presence soothed the storms that raged within me.”


“Did you know that it's a lot harder to put organs back in the body than it is to get them out?”


“Escape plan number seventeen," I told her. "Run away and open a juice stand in Fresno."
"Why Fresno?"
"Sounds like the kind of place people drink a lot of juice.”


“Did Belikov bend the rules of time and space to get here so fast? He can do that, right?”


“It’s Adrian Ivashkov logic. Don’t try to understand it. Just roll with it.”


“Centrum permanebit.”


“The center will hold.”
“How do you know?”
“Because we are the center.”

5 stars!


message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Athena Effect (The Athena Effect, #1) by Derrolyn Anderson

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Thank you so much to Derroly Anderson (the author) for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review!

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It kept me engaged from the first page and it only took me 2 hours to read! The idea of the larger problem presented in this book (around the halfway point) is similar to other ideas I've come across but the way the different characters interacted with it made it original. That being said, I think the whole genetics thing could have been introduced sooner because the way it was going, I was expecting an Eleanor and Park kind of deal.

In the beginning, it's all about how Caledonia is dealing with her parent's death and the secrets they took with them just don't seem to matter much to her. Then, when men come to her house and try to kidnap her, I think it could have been capitalized more. That was the main problem I had with this book. Everything just seemed to pass without consequence and was just brushed off by Calvin and Caledonia. Like when Caledonia told Calvin about her powers. That part wasn't really explained in detail. Even when Caledonia told Calvin that her powers worked on people, it was as if it didn't matter at all. I would have thought that Calvin would question if she ever used it on him but it didn't cause any waves at all.

I really loved how both Caledonia and Calvin's nicknames are Cal. That was so adorable! Their relationship was just adorable in general. And it wasn't so much as insta-love but Calvin being intrigued by Caledonia. I loved how that developed into love.

The one other thing I want to mention is the POV. I am definitely NOT a POV expert so bear with me! The POV in this book was the kind where you can see into a select few character's heads. Mostly it switched between Caledonia and Calvin with no real indication. However, I didn't really have a problem with that mostly because it switched where it logically would. Read it and you'll know what I'm talking about! That's just me though.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and it truly was engaging however it seemed to glide right over important issues (beside's Caledonia and Calvin's relationship). 3.5 stars - I can't wait to read the rest of the series!



“Because with a really good book you get something new every time you read it. Because…Well…Because you're a different person each time.”


message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6) by Jennifer Estep

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Overall, I was generally pleased by this book. It had it's moments where it wasn't up to par but for the most part, it was an amazing end to the series. I especially loved the ending - Jennifer Estep did a really amazing job tying up all the loose ends and keeping all the books in the series connected. There was also excellent tension and buildup.

I'm actually glad this is the last book in the series. Even though I'll miss all the characters, I was getting kind of annoyed with Gwen and her thoughts (it's just me...). The same phrases would repeat over and over and OVER. It just gets to you after a while.

I know I said I loved the ending... and I do... it just seemed rather abrupt to me. Like it was the final awesome battle and then... peace for like a page or two and then it ends! I would have liked a bit more falling action.

I can't decide how I feel about all the side romances and all that... Sometimes, they got really distracting and other times they were adorable!

I started out really liking the covers in the series but this one is definitely my least favorite. It just seems thrown together like it wasn't even made to go with the story or it was an afterthought.

This was a decent book and a pretty good ending to an amazing series!

Quotes:
“Yeah, you're probably right,' I said, forcing myself to smile at him. Logan grinned back at me. 'Of course, I'm right. I'm always right.' I rolled my eyes, leaned over, and lightly punched him in the shoulder. 'And now you sound like Vic.' 'No, he doesn't,' Vic piped up from his spot in the chair I'd propped him up in. 'I am much more confident than the Spartan is.' He sniffed. 'And with good reason.”


“Open sesame,' I joked. Silence. Apparently, the Reapers weren't in a joking mood.”
“It's about time you guys got here,' Oliver quipped. 'Alexei and I were starting to think you'd gotten lost.' Daphne sniffed. 'Please. We weren't lost. We were shopping.' 'That doesn't make it any better,' Oliver retorted. In fact, I'd say that makes it worse.”

“It's not my fault you left her all by herself,' Oliver teased. 'You know that's how Gwen gets into trouble.' 'I would stick my tongue out at you, but it's too cold,' I grumbled.”
“Still, I couldn't help looking at Daphne in morbid satisfaction. 'What did I tell you? Our first double date? Officially ruined.”

“You're mine," "Not his. Mine. Only mine. Always mine.”

3 stars!


message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

I read this book as part of a challenge in one of my GR groups because I needed to read a book that started with L. Can I just say how glad I am that I picked this book? Not because it was amazingly good, but because I never would have picked it up if not for that challenge.

It was a good book that brought up a lot of excellent questions about the paradox of the space-time continuum but it was quite confusing in the beginning. I actually didn't get the concept until about page 150. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing story before that point but I just didn't get the overall picture/point until that page. Once I hit that point, I was totally immersed for the rest of the book. I especially loved the tie-up in the last 30ish pages. It was a really nice ending without actually ending the book (read it and you'll get it).

Another thing about this book: there was absolutely no fluff. This is literature (or at least my version of it) so YA lovers beware. It's deep and complicated and not an easy read but if you have the patience, you'll love it.

This book introduced a very interesting concept however I think the author could have made more of an effort to make the plot clearer in the beginning to provide a better hook. It was completely mind-bending. Sometimes too much so.

The Final Verdict:
A very good book with an interesting concept if you can stick it out. It does get a bit confusing and mind-bending at first (well... really all throughout...) but overall, a well written book.
3 stars!

Quotes:
“Ursula craved solitude but she hated loneliness, a conundrum that she couldn’t even begin to solve.”


“I feel as if I’m waiting for something dreadful to happen, and then I realize it already has.”

“He was born a politician.
No, Ursula thought, he was born a baby, like everyone else. And this is what he has chosen to become.”

“It was a long time ago now. And it was yesterday.”

“You must never believe everything they say about a person. Generally speaking, most of it will be lies, half-truths at best.”

“What if we had a chance to do it again and again, until we finally did get it right? Wouldn't that be wonderful?”


message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Shared Skies by Josephine O Brien

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Thank you so much Josephine O'Brien (the author) for gifting me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

I really like the idea of this book and especially how the title ties into it so perfectly. I've read so many dystopian and alien books but none about the possible parallel universes. The way that idea was addressed in this book had me interested right away. I'm really glad this is only book one because I would have loved to have a bit more information on the two other worlds.

That was my main problem with this book - everything seemed a bit rushed. I didn't understand why until I looked at the page count and thought "wow that's why that went by so fast!". Ms. O'Brien could definitely have lengthened the second part of the novel where Gaiah is discovering who she is and the whole soulmate thing. That in particular actually... I didn't like how it took only about 20-30ish pages for them to totally accept that they are soulmates and they're going to be together forever and all that jazz.

Other than the time thing, I absolutely loved it! All the characters were well done for the first book. Gaiah especially has potential. I especially loved how Ms. O'Brien made the connections to history to tie in the parallel worlds.

The Final Verdict:
An amazing parallel worlds concept with good characters and amazing connections to real world history. However, it would have been better if the second part of the book was lengthened a bit.
3.5 stars!


message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) When Angels Fail Tales of the Macabre (When Angel's Fail, #1) by Michael Benavidez

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Thank you to the author Michael Benazvidez for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review!

To say the least, this book was very dark and almost slightly depressing. However, it was very descriptive and left no stone unturned. This book is a collection of mini stories basically about the dark side of human nature.

I absolutely loved the last mini story. It definitely has potential to become a full-size book!

I loved the first two stories as well but I was a bit confused while reading the second to last story. Sometimes it got a bit too descriptive and metaphorical (or that could just be me).

Mr. Benavidez has definite potential as an author and I can't wait to read some more of his work!

Final Verdict:
A very nice collection of stories if you aren't scared off by dark images and the primal side of human nature. Sometimes it got a bit too descriptive for me but I think if they were expanded, it would be the perfect amount. This author has lots of potential and I'm excited to read more of his work!
3.5 stars!


message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) Scent of Roses by Clarissa Cartharn

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

Thank you so much to the author (Clarissa Cartharn) for gifting me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Just so you can get a better understanding, this book is like the PG-13 version of The Selection condensed into one book and in the modern world. I now see why Kiera Cass wanted to pull The Selection out into a trilogy. I feel like this book would have been better as a duology. It ended rather abruptly in my opinion (it felt like the author looked at the page count all of a sudden and said "oops I already went over my limit time to wrap it up!") and Jennifer and Alicia's role's (kind of like Celeste in The Selection) were a little downplayed.

At the end, I thought there was a bit too much back and forth between if Zoe loved Dante or not. I wish there would have been more of a dialogue inside Zoe's head as she accepted Dante's offer for real.

Other than those things, I absolutely loved it! I know I've been comparing it to The Selection in this review but it actually is it's own book and I wasn't thinking of The Selection when I was reading it. It really is quite unique.

I also loved the multiple POV's. I think they were done very well and you always knew whose head you were in at the moment. It was mostly limited to Dante and Zoe but sometimes Jennifer and other characters had brief sections.

Final Verdict:
This book is a definite page-turner mostly focused on romance. While it could have been turned into a duology, it's good as is. The POV's were amazing but the ending was a bit abrupt. Overall, I absolutely loved it and was engrossed from page 1.
4 stars


message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (blueeyebooks) The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

See this review on my blog: http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2014...

If you asked me to describe this book in one word it would be cutesy. They adorableness of this book just overflowed. This is definitely not your typical romance book. I had just finished reading The Drawing of the Three (review to come after this one on Thursday) which isn't fluffy. It was quite a change picking up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight which contains as much fluff as the Build-A-Bear stuffing machine.

I really can't decide whether I like the length or not. On one hand, it would have been amazing to see where the romance goes. On the other, I loved how it ended with such possibility! The last page was just perfection- (view spoiler)

This was such a hopeful read. I just couldn't stop smiling while I read it! And once it ends, you feel like anything is possible. I especially loved when Hadley went through her what-ifs at the beginning. If just one of those things didn't happen, they probably wouldn't have met!

As for the characters, I thought they were pretty good considering the length of the book. I mean, it has 236 pages people!

The Final Verdict:
This was a pretty shallow book but cute and fun throughout. However, it was also very contemplative about fate and chances so it isn't that shallow.
Four stars.


Quotes:
“Is it better to have had a good thing and lost it, or never to have had it?”


“He’s like a song she can’t get out of her head. Hard as she tries, the melody of their meeting runs through her mind on an endless loop, each time as surprisingly sweet as the last, like a lullaby, like a hymn, and she doesn’t think she could ever get tired of hearing it.”


“What are you really studying?"
He leans back to look at her. "The statistical probability of love at first sight."
"Very funny," she says. "What is it really?"
"I'm serious."
"I don't believe you."
He laughs, then lowers his mouth so that it's close to her ear. "People who meet in airports are seventy-two percent more likely too fall for each other than people who meet anywhere else.”


“Did you know that people who meet at least three different times within twenty-four hour period are ninety-eight percent more likely to meet again?”


“It's one thing to run away when someone's chasing you. It's entirely another to be running all alone.”


“He looks at her and smiles. "You're sort of dangerous, you know?"
She stares at him. "Me?"
"Yeah," he says sitting back. "I'm way too honest with you.”


“People who meet in airports are seventy-two percent more likely to fall for each other than people who meet anywhere else.”


“And see those clouds?'
'Hard to miss'
'Those are cumulus clouds. Did you know that?'
'I'm sure I should.'
They're the best ones.'
'How come?'
Because they look the way clouds are supposed to look, the way you draw them when you're a kid. Which is nice, you know? ...”


“Love is the strangest, most illogical thing in the world.”


“Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?”


« previous 1
back to top