Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Librarian edit log

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I have never understood: what is the difference between the edits on the left, and the edits in the skinny column on the right?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/...

Also it is disturbing how inaccurate the log looks. I just opened this book record and it had a one or two sentence description which was utterly inadequate - something like "this is the first book in the blah blah series." Then over on the right I noticed there existed a whole other long description. So I copied and pasted that description into the proper place, where it now sits.

But the log still looks like I replace the two-sentence description with nothing.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
The left has edition-by-edition edits (either for all editions or just the one, depending how you have toggled it). The right-hand has edits to the work. All changes to the default description will show up there, as will first-pub date for the work, etc.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18305 comments I think the edits on the right are for the entire work, not any specific edition.

The log is very confusing, though. I wish cover art changes showed before and after. I often can't tell whether I am reverting or correcting the right change and it becomes trial and error.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Oh, okay. I probably had left it toggled to all editions because there was only one edition. Normally I am looking at the one edition toggle.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Although my point still stands that the log seems to assert things that did not happen!

message 6: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Lobstergirl wrote: "Although my point still stands that the log seems to assert things that did not happen!"

The log also assigns ISBN changes to librarians instead of scripts! So many times I have found out that it is incorrect, it is really untrustworthy.