Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Four, Episode Four: Reactions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments What did you think of this one?

Oh yes, I see lots of buzz on this. Lots of surprises for the readers in this one.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I have only just started the chronological reading of AFFC and aDWD. I'm in chapter 16 ish with both. That being said...

Everything that happened last night was brand new territory for me. I know they are pushing/moving up Bran's story this season due to the actor gasping too quickly and not looking the part. So that would explain that. However I do want to know from the readers if they are still staying somewhat true to the story with him or if this is just added material? Se with the white walker...was that question answered in the books?

While I understand the changes made to Brienne's story for tv purposes, I didn't like it. I liked being surprised by Pod's presence in the book. I'm not off my rocker mad with their decision though. I think it brings out some good redemption qualities in everyone involved in that scene. For those who haven't read the books, I feel that's needed.

I LOVED the Littlefinger and Sansa scene! He is creepy as hell but I seem to like him for his scheming ways. His conversations with Sansa are entertaining to me. It's like he's teaching her to be a spider. Love it.

Of course Danerys's scene was fabulous. Her story contains some if the most justifying scenes. It's addictive to me.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Oh and I enjoyed QoT fiddling with Margery's necklace. Given the topic it was perfect as a cue for viewers and a subtle hint for her grand daughter. I love that little lady!

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 227 comments I like the scene with Tyrion and Jaime, and I didn't mind the changes that were obviously coming with Brienne and Jaime. That was alright. In fact I like all the Jaime stuff just fine this episode.

Even Marg and Tommen were alright, I was happy they kept at least one cat, although I have to wonder what idiot thinks Ser Pounce is more important story wise than freakin' Cold Hands *smh*

The rest....not the biggest fan. Felt like Dany's scenes were a little meh, when usually I like her slave freeing, guess that was true to the books though LOL...that story line is starting to drag their also.

The wall stuff...I don't even know. After the episode my non reader friends and I usually talk about stuff, and usually it's at least pretty close and I give them some insight about the undertones of what is happening in the story. This time I was just like....I dont know...I really don't know....This doesn't happen. It even left them a little disappointed. Plus, even with the made up stuff I just would have preferred if the Other that changed the baby would have been a female, a la the Night's King story, at least that would have made a little sense in my mind. I kinda felt a little miffed it wasn't. Plus, WTF is with HBO and rape this season?

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Dany's scened needed more action and blood.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Amber wrote: "I like the scene with Tyrion and Jaime, and I didn't mind the changes that were obviously coming with Brienne and Jaime. That was alright. In fact I like all the Jaime stuff just fine this episod..."

So does the storyline with Bran lead to something similar to what happened in the show? I know his and Jon's arcs don't string together like that in SoS.

As for the White Walkers...Is this where the plot is headed and Martin just hasn't gotten to it in the series? Or is this HBO taking some creative licenses?

I agree 100% the raping rapey rapers this season is a bit much. I know it's a part of the series but omg CALM the FUCK down with it already. All the viewers get it! Geeeees!!!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Jackie wrote: "Dany's scened needed more action and blood."

Blood goes to Dany as Bacon goes to everything. It makes everything better, lol.

message 8: by Amber (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 227 comments No Bran's storyline never crosses with Jon, Bran is never captured by anyone at Crasters.

(view spoiler)

From what I have read online the White Walker thing is supposed to be alluding to the Night's King story. I guess HBO had it tagged as such but it was removed later in the evening. Whether GRRM is going that way or not is pretty much an unknown.
Either way I still think they should have gone with the female Other. The Night's King is a human in the books and any "magic" is bestowed upon him by the female he crowns his queen. If the legend holds correct.
Just seemed like they tossed a chance to have a perfectly decent female character.

Maybe coming up with a white walker rape scene for her was too hard so they just switched it up.

message 9: by Eyehavenofilter (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:35PM) (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Omg... Seriously...do we really need any more rape scenes? HELL no! And even some of the actors even looked very weary of being in them...( male actors included)loved the Bailish\ Sansa scene... "Smarmy is as smarmy does!" love the innocence of the new Tommen... He's like a sweet, doe in the headlights, IQ of 80, babykins! Poor unsuspecting thing, bless his widdle heart...
So happy Pod is with Brienne from the get-go, and the looks between Jamie and Brienne are soooo, breath taking,
I just couldn't believe it! Amazing! Cerci can never compete with THAT! A s for scenes of next week... If they don't stop recasting people Im going to beat my head against the nearest brick wall. Lysa is someone new? Damn it!

message 10: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Lysa new? You sure. She looked the same to me in that preview.

Of course, she had her shirt on.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 227 comments They recast Lysa? Really....
*sigh*
I guess she hadn't appeared for a while so maybe had other engagements, but that definitely does suck.

I was looking forward to saying good bye to her. It's just not the same when they switch the actress/actor.

Plus, I'm not going to lie, I'm already suspending my utter disbelief to the max, changing people faces all the time without them joining a certain sect of murderers is really pushing it for me.

And yes. Please cut the raping HBO, you have met the equivalent of fucking them til they are dead.

Pretty sad when Roose Bolton has the most seemingly "normal" sex life in the whole freakin' world.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 227 comments Chris wrote: "Lysa new? You sure. She looked the same to me in that preview.

Of course, she had her shirt on."

GOT Wiki seems to think she will be returning. So maybe they didn't. I hope that is case, I prefer the continuity of character and I actually thought she made a decent Lysa.

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 7 comments Dear penthouse, my fiancee snuck into my bedroom last night and stroked my kittycat. Last season she stroked Joffrey's crossbow. She's the epic seductress, even for children.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 7 comments Bran's new storyline was fun for book fans, as was Olenna fessing up to a shocked Margaery.

message 15: by Britt (new)

Britt (Kalebsmome) | 32 comments Chris wrote: "Lysa new? You sure. She looked the same to me in that preview.

Of course, she had her shirt on."

She is the same.

message 16: by Britt (new)

Britt (Kalebsmome) | 32 comments I'm feel a bit befuddled since I am a book fan. I think it is bc it's the first time I don't know what's going on but Bran being captive at Crasters seems like a perfect segway to introduce coldhands maybe? I don't have much background in white walkers so that extraness was definitely entertaining for me. A army of white walker babies is effin terrifying. <---- joke

message 17: by Britt (new)

Britt (Kalebsmome) | 32 comments Brittersweet wrote: "I'm feel a bit befuddled since I am a book fan. I think it is bc it's the first time I don't know what's going on but Bran being captive at Crasters seems like a perfect segway to introduce coldhan..."

Danerys can do wrong in my eyes. I'm so worried about her (view spoiler)

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 343 comments fucking them til they are dead.

I really didn't need that. but that said, another episode that I loved.

visually, I thought the episode was particularly beautiful. was impressed scene after scene

I think what they are doing with Bran's story is pretty smart - I'm one of the few, I think, who loves his chapters in the books, but they are not exactly big on action and would probably be fairly boring if left as is.

was happy to see Sansa being smart and cynical with Littlefinger.

also very happy with the Olenna confirmation. but sad that Diana Rigg is going away!

loved the revelation at the end about what happens between Others and boy babies. now all I want to know is where do whores go.

message 19: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 29, 2014 03:16AM) (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments Hmmm..

I watched the end of this episode with my jaw dropping.

So was that the Night's King? It seems to be implied.

I can't believe that

A: Sam told Jon about Bran
B: Bran was captured and blurted out his identity.

Meanwhile I'm becoming increasingly sure that Dany is taking after her father.

Love Ser Pounce!

message 20: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Sorry I might have jumped to conclusions about Lysa but she just looked much prettier... ( gawd she's not very attractive really in season one and we all know those really aren't her real boobs since the interview) but recasting is my pet peeve since they recast " The Mountain " for 5 seconds in season 2 when the could have just omitted him altogether till they got the guy back al some future date after filming " The Hobbit" trilogy... Way way wah!
( yah I know... Picky picky picky...but I thrive on continuity..... However...
VALERIE: more Penthouse letters please!

message 21: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments ( whitewater babies... Predecessor of " Children of the Corn". ? )
I think I've totally lost it... Who will change their little ' nappies'? Or don't they poo anymore oncet they be dead?

message 22: by Remy (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:05AM) (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments I love this feeling of not knowing what the hell is going on, what's gonna happen next and where exactly this is going. Can't wait to see what happens north of the wall next week. I really hope Coldhands will appear sooner or later even though he sould have by now.

message 23: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Straight out of the fanfiction territory so I could not comment much.

But I agree the Craster's Keep scene is just gratuitous - we got it already that you guys are raping the shit out of Craster's daughter-wives!

I kinda enjoyed Brienne/Jaime scene, oh how the shipper in me squealing with joy! And of course the seduction of Margaery. I liked the way Dormer portrayed it, not too creepy or slutty.

Meereen storyline is just similar with the books = boring. So I guess they got it right.

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) And someone correctly mentioned this in the other forums: Where is Asha/Yara? Surely they gave her something to do to this season, attacking Moat Cailin or stuff?

message 25: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments I'm not sure. Do you think the Greyjoy brothers will be omitted/condensed?

Although I personally didn't like Victarion or Euron I'd hate to see either written out.

( I don't mind Aeron )

message 26: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments Asha/Yara was on the season trailers, so surely she'll appear eventually. It's weird that she hasn't yet, but if she would have, it would probably be in some invented new plot since they have to delay the story so it doesn't go too forward. I mean, Stannis hasn't even left Dragonstone!

I'm sure the other Greyjoys will appear in the next season. I hope they don't cut out too much of the story, since I wanna see all of them and the kingsmoot at Nagga's hill.

message 27: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments All of this got me thinking... I'm pretty sure AFFC and ADWD will go simultaneously through seasons 5 and 6, right? I'm sure that'll give GRRM enough time to publish TWOW, and since he said it would be one of the longest books, that would be enough maybe for another two seasons (7 and 8), but will that be enough for him to write the last book in time? I don't think A Dream of Spring could be much shorter. I'm sure GOT will end up having 10 seasons. I hope that's not too much.

Oh by the seven gods, Bran would be SO OLD by then!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments The fact that Jon's story on the wall and the war hasn't progressed is keeping other story lines backed up. Ugh frustrating. I really am trying to be patient but they need to get on with it!

message 29: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments If they hurry too much, they'll be by the end of the last published book before the next one comes out. They need to delay.

And anyway, they're giving us new stories thanks to that. I love the feeling of not knowing what the fuck's gonna happen next north of the wall after the last episode.

And all of that delay is also making place for a lot of interesting scenes and conversations that would otherwise be considered less important in order to move on with the story, but since they have time to spare... we are getting much more content.

So, I can't complain. I think this is all coming out pretty well. I think GOT would still be my favourite show even if I wasn't such an ASIOF fan.

message 30: by Evilynn (new)

Evilynn | 36 comments Leandro wrote: "All of this got me thinking... I'm pretty sure AFFC and ADWD will go simultaneously through seasons 5 and 6, right? I'm sure that'll give GRRM enough time to publish TWOW, and since he said it woul..."

I think the show runners have said that they'd like to do 7-8 seasons in total, so there is no way in hell GRRM will finish the books before they finish GOT. I'm currently trying to figure out when I need to hit the eject button in order not to spoil the books for me.

I'm not sure I enjoy the extra stuff at Craster's Keep at all. What is it with all the explicit rape?? and was the basket of meat human or pig? I'm hoping the latter, and I assumed they were giving the Skaros traits to the Thenns (are they just going to pretend Tommen doesn't exist from now on?), but with the Extra Everything-route they seem to be going now, it wouldn't surprise me if the rapey murderers are rapey cannibalistic murderers. Oh, and I'm still sad they didn't go with the ice sidhe-look for the Others.

However, I'm still loving the Queen of Thorns, and I quite liked the Brienne/Jaime scene, even if I prefer the subtext of the books. Sansa is finally coming into her interesting arc and Margaery still works for me as well.

message 31: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I've a feeling they won't show any Kingsmoot *sigh

It's not my favorite part in the books (so many names, gah) but it's always interesting to see the culture of Ironborn. Anywayyyyyyy, we'll see where this fanfiction goes.

I hope they improve Stannis's character in the next episode. Even my show watcher friends don't like him.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments Evilynn wrote:

I assumed they were giving the Skaros traits to the Thenns (are they just going to pretend Tommen doesn't exist from now on?)

Do you mean Rickon?

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments I preferred the Martell chapters to the Greyjoy chapters, mostly because I like some of the Martells.

ADWD spoilers:

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments I don't know, show runners always talk about an ideal number of seasons way too early and then they end up changing that number according to the popularity of the show. I'm sure GOT will have seasons than that, they won't end it if they can keep going and make more money. And I expect they at least do all they can to not finish it before the last book comes out.

message 35: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments Cheryl wrote: "Evilynn wrote:

I assumed they were giving the Skaros traits to the Thenns (are they just going to pretend Tommen doesn't exist from now on?)

Do you mean Rickon?"

Ohhh I didn't understand that part of Evilynn's comment but now I get it, if that's indeed what she meant.

message 36: by Britt (last edited Apr 29, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

Britt (Kalebsmome) | 32 comments Cheryl wrote: "I preferred the Martell chapters to the Greyjoy chapters, mostly because I like some of the Martells.

ADWD spoilers:

[spoilers removed]"

I concur.... (view spoiler)

message 37: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments So sad Tyrion is in his cell for most of this season...but as a sidebar... Just watched "Pete Smalls is Dead" a film with Dinkledge and Headley... OMG! So bizzarre!

message 38: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments So they have omitted the Kettleboy twins right?
( that's what I call them anyway) or are they coming up?