Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

The Heartbeat Thief
This topic is about The Heartbeat Thief
2016 Archives > THE HEARTBEART THIEF: Meet Senza Fyne, the forever girl...

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (last edited Apr 13, 2016 07:53AM) (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments

*Thanks for stopping by this year's #B2BCycon! I look forward to seeing you all again at next year's con. Happy reading!

The Heartbeat Thief by Ash Krafton

Haunted by a crushing fear of death, a young Victorian woman discovers the secret of eternal youth—she must surrender her life to attain it, and steal heartbeats to keep it.

Poe meets Austen in this haunting tale of death and endless devotion…

Being the most beautiful debutante in 1860’s Surrey isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Senza Fyne knows all too well the expectations set upon a young Victorian woman—and she also knows that, in one fell swoop, death can just whisk it all away. When she meets the mysterious and mystical Mr. Knell, she is offered the chance to escape the chains of Life and Death and to enjoy the bliss of youth and beauty for all eternity.

But that takes magic…and a steep price. She’d have to surrender her life to gain an eternity and she’d have to steal the heartbeats of others in order to keep it.

She has everything to gain if she succumbs to his spell…but knows not what she might lose.

It’s a little bit Jane Austen, a little bit Edgar Allan Poe, and a whole lot of stealing heartbeats in order to stay young and beautiful forever. From the posh London season to the back alleys of Whitechapel, across the Channel, across the Pond, across the seas of Time…

How far will Senza Fyne go to avoid Death?

Reviews:
"It’s a supernatural story, but it doesn’t rely on the conventions and themes that have gone before it. To be honest, when I picked it up I was expecting witches and/or vampires, but I found something else entirely. I loved the story and the concept."

"True to its word, "The Heartbeat Thief" is part Jane Austen, part Edgar Allen Poe. The author revives the best of the style of writing found in the classics: the introspect of characters, lovely allusions comparing characters to nature and life, beautiful alliteration and prose. Mixed with this is a deep foreboding of death, a macabre sensation that follows Senza throughout the story."

"Beautiful imagery and language shape this intriguing story that spoke to me about the meaning of maturity and purpose in life. Lovely!"

About the Author:
The Heartbeat Thief is the first release for AJ Krafton, a New Adult speculative fiction author from the Pennsylvania coal region.

If she’s not writing, it’s probably because she’s distracted by all the cool junk on her desk or by the stacks of books that have grown up around it.

She also writes novels, short fiction, and poetry for adult audiences as Ash Krafton.

For a complete list of her books, visit her website at www.ashkrafton.com

Map Tags:
#Fantasy
#Horror
#Historical
#Romance
#YA

message 2: by Ash (last edited Apr 07, 2016 02:43PM) (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Giveaway number one: You can win either a signed paperback (US) or eBook (Non-US) in the big collective giveaway!

You can also win a copy right here just by leaving a comment in this thread. Read on to see how you can enter...

The Heartbeat Thief is a Victorian fantasy. I chose to write in this period because I love Victorian style.

The fashion, the manners, the traditions, the tea parties...I wish I could go back in time to just look around (until that tech is available, I'll keep a Pinterest page here: https://www.pinterest.com/demimondeas... )

To enter this giveaway, just tell us about your favorite historical period. Why do you like it? Is there a particular book or film that would illustrate what makes it so interesting? Recommendations are always welcome!

A random entry will be chosen as the winner. Can't wait to see what everyone enjoys reading/watching!

message 3: by Ash (last edited Apr 07, 2016 02:46PM) (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Giveaway number two: Since this is a not-so-grim reaper story, I'll be giving away a "Grimm" Beanie Boo. This thing is HUGGABLE :)

To enter, simply share the following Goodreads Giveaway Link (https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...) with your social media...

Then post the link of your status update here with the word "Grimm!" so I know which contest you entered.

I'll pick a random winner. Try to make it easy on me, lol!

(And don't forget to enter the book giveaway yourself :) )

message 4: by Ash (last edited Apr 07, 2016 02:51PM) (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Giveaway number three: In honor of the upcoming National Librarian's Day on April 16, I have a special raffle going on.

I'll donate a collection of my print titles to a public library (US only due to shipping).

The person whose entry is selected will also win a copy of any of my titles, their choice.

To enter, visit my blog at http://ash-krafton.blogspot.com/2016/...

Show your local public library some love and enter their name today. No purchase or other obligation necessary to win.

message 5: by Ash (last edited Apr 07, 2016 02:50PM) (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Thanks to author A.F. Stewart for allowing me to visit her blog, ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? We chatted a little...

Visit the site for an excerpt from THE HEARTBEAT THIEF as well as a link to my latest novel, CHARM CITY, which you can read for free online.

http://afstewartblog.blogspot.ca/2016...

message 6: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments I really like reading Norse books so I like the time period featuring that, dolor and shadow is one such book that I really enjoyed

message 7: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod
Hi, Ash!

message 8: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Martinez | 17 comments I've always been fascinated by the Victorian time period and ancient times like ancient Egyptian times. Mythology has interested me all my life. Dark Hunter Series does a lot of different mythologies and I love it. It also goes to different time periods but there's not a specific time period book that I really loved yet

message 10: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Maddy wrote: "I really like reading Norse books so I like the time period featuring that, dolor and shadow is one such book that I really enjoyed"

I've only starting getting into Norse mythos over the past year or two. Definitely looking for good stories to reading while listening to Blind Guardian... such as this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btTj2...

message 11: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Ashley wrote: "https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...
Grimm!"

Yay! Thanks, Ashley, for Grimming :)

message 12: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Ashley wrote: "I've always been fascinated by the Victorian time period and ancient times like ancient Egyptian times. Mythology has interested me all my life. Dark Hunter Series does a lot of different mythologi..."

I think I could happily disappear in any number of periods. I think I must be on a reincarnation kick because I swear that each one is the best one...

message 13: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments A.F. wrote: "Hi, Ash!"

Hi, Anita! Finally got some computer time so I'm stopping over to your booth shortly...

message 14: by A.F. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Ash wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Hi, Ash!"

Hi, Anita! Finally got some computer time so I'm stopping over to your booth shortly..."

I look forward to seeing you.

message 15: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments A.F. wrote: "Ash wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Hi, Ash!"

Hi, Anita! Finally got some computer time so I'm stopping over to your booth shortly..."

I look forward to seeing you."

I'm in the mood for some dark poetry. Maybe you can add to something I'm working on...

message 16: by A.F. (new)

Ash wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Ash wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Hi, Ash!"

I look forward to seeing you."

I'm in the mood for some d..."

I'm doing daily poems this month, so I'm definitely in my poetry mode.

message 17: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. Aaroones) (AMNestler) | 110 comments Hi Ash!
Your novel "The Heartbeat Thief" looks really interesting. I run a book blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre... and I would love to review it for you if you are interested. You can email me at peachykeenreviews@gmail.com for more information.
~Ashley

message 18: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Is urban fantasy your favorite flavor of story? I'm working on a new series you might enjoy...

The first book in The Demon Whisperer Series is called CHARM CITY. You can read it free on Wattpad.com here:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/5617247...

CHARM CITY (The Demon Whisperer #1)

The darkness is rising and one man stands against it: the exorcist mage Simon Alliant. But in Baltimore, he finally meets his match...a part-mortal divinity with the power to whisper away demons.

Simon Alliant is an exorcist who battles demons, whether he wants to or not. Sometimes it's not so bad...he gets to play with magic, after all. But for Simon, magic represents a demon of another kind. He's addicted to magic and it takes more than a handful of charms to keep that particular demon at bay.

Chiara is part Light, part Dark, and stubbornly mortal. The woman has a way with words: she literally talks demons into abandoning their human hosts. Simon thinks that's not the only trick she has up her sleeve-and that's pretty high praise coming from a mage like him.

As intriguing as that may be, Simon has too many reasons to distrust her...one of them being his more-or-less partner, an angelic Watcher. Amidst all the celestial warnings of the rising dark comes a new prophesy that makes him wonder: is Chiara a threat to him and all of mankind?

Or will she be his salvation?

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm starting to sense a theme in my writing. :) I love magic!

Anyone have a favorite magical realism story they'd like to share?

message 19: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Ash!
Your novel "The Heartbeat Thief" looks really interesting. I run a book blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre... and I would love to review it for you if you are interested. You c..."

Will do, Ashley. Always glad to connect with readers and reviewers!

message 20: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments Hello things first I love that cover second my favorite time period is the 1800s and Pride and prejudice is my favorite book and movies

message 21: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments GRIMM my Twitter is @bnc12d

message 22: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Ash!
Your novel "The Heartbeat Thief" looks really interesting. I run a book blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre... and I would love to review it for you if you are interested. You c..."

And I just want to give a shout out to you, Ashley... I saw your booth and think your stories look amazing!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Belinda wrote: "Hello things first I love that cover second my favorite time period is the 1800s and Pride and prejudice is my favorite book and movies"

Thank you, Belinda! I admit, I created the cover even before I finished writing the story, lol...

And yaaaassss Pride and Prejudice! Excellent story and so many amazing adaptations. Can you tell me your favorite film version?

I'm caught between "Lost in Austen" and the Bollywood version Bride and Prejudice.

Although PPZ was pretty darn spectacular, too...

message 24: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments I loved the Kiera Knightley version the most but 1940s version was awesom too and I really want to see the Pride and prejudice and Zombies version also the BBC was my least favorite but doesn't mean I didn't love it just as much as the others. Have you seen Austenland

message 25: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments Bride and Prejudice was good I haven't seen Lost in Austen yet

message 26: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments I love anything Austen really

message 27: by Nix (new) - added it

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments My favorite time period would the late 1800's/early 1900's in America. There was just so much happening in that time period.

message 28: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Belinda wrote: "I loved the Kiera Knightley version the most..."

Yes, that would be my favorite Darcy!

Haven't seen Austenland yet. And Lost in Austen was a miniseries. Saw it on Netflix ages ago but it's since been taken off. I had to buy the DVD on Amazon and I watch it at least twice a month!

message 30: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Kaela wrote: "Grimm!

twitter.com/BlackRose1622/status/7189..."

Cool, Kaela! Thanks for Grimming!

message 31: by Nix (new) - added it

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Ash wrote: "Kaela wrote: "Grimm!

twitter.com/BlackRose1622/status/7189..."

Cool, Kaela! Thanks for Grimming!"

My pleasure. :)

message 32: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Would you like an excerpt from THE HEARTBEAT THIEF?

THE HEARTBEAT THIEF
By AJ Krafton

Senza spun around, searching for him, but he was gone.

Her ear, warmed by the heat of his breath, rapidly cooled. As the heat seeped away, so did her confidence. What had he done to her? What had just happened?

Was it all a dream?

People streamed around her as she stood alone on the sidewalk. Polite nods and hat tips, shy smiles and murmurs. No one acted as if she’d simply appeared out of thin air. The surreal feeling dissolved as she drank in the sounds of the town. Even the woman who he’d pulled into limbo stood a piece away, smiling and holding out her beribboned wares to the passing ladies. She didn’t even look at Senza.

Had she imagined the whole thing?

She pressed her hand to her chest, her fingers glancing across the cool touch of metal. She hadn’t put any jewelry on today. Curious she looked down—

And saw the locket he’d given her. Hesitantly, she cupped her hand around it. A warmth seeped into her skin.

Real. She didn’t imagine it.

She walked along the path, her thoughts a jumble, toying with the gold chain. Aggie. Aggie would be worried, she’d better get back to the store before she realized she’d wandered off.

Crossing the street, she spied Aggie through the window of the shop, examining a rack of ribbons. She probably didn’t even know that Senza had left. Well, best to get inside before she was missed. And this…

She picked up the locket that lay against her chest and turned it over in her hand. Antique gold, scrolling and filigree, with a delicate latch holding it closed. A deep red stone, nearly the size of the cover, glittered. She peered more closely at the gem. It seized sunlight and made it dance deep within its depths, a sluggish swirl that reminded her of the pond in the garden, its volumes stirred only by the fish.

Under the shade of the milliner’s porch, the glow was as bright as a lantern in the night. Most unnatural. Better tuck this away before it drew uncomfortable questions. When she tucked it into the top of her dress, her fingers pressed against the flesh of her bosom. She finally noticed the eerie quiet in her chest.

No heartbeat.

Her eyes wide, she gulped for air. Her heart no longer beat. She did not live, he’d stolen her life and she was alone and—

Her legs melted out from under her and the ground swayed, ready to meet her. A pounding of feet inside the shop, the door opening, a man’s voice sending up an alarm. “Easy now, miss. Your cousin will be here in but a moment.”

The milliner. He must have seen her through the window. She reached out toward his voice, her vision dimmed with lightheadedness, and touched his arm. She grasped it to steady herself but when her fingers brushed his wrist—

His heartbeat sank into her skin.

She didn’t even have to pull it. She thirsted and it answered and tapped itself into her flesh, streaking a warm red line to her chest. Vision and awareness and strength immediately restored.

She yanked back from his grasp. He flexed his hand as if his fingers hand had become numb.

“No, no, Mr. Whitehill.” Fortified by the heartbeat, she smoothed her skirt and patted her curls. “I am fine, just a momentary spell. Thank you, but I am fine.”

She backed away, not looking behind her and when she turned, she bumped into an older woman, a friend of her mother. A circle of curious passersby had accumulated on the sidewalk and the older woman reached out a helpful hand.

The touch of a bare hand upon Senza’s only caused the girl to draw another heartbeat. The force of it made her whimper, the thump and the flush and the heat of the locket inside her corset. People staring. Drawing attention. Not good.

Mr. Whitehill had stepped back, whispering to another man. He knew what she’d done. He knew and she would be caught—
Senza broke away from their suspicious eyes and restrained murmurs. She hitched up her skirts, and ran for her life.

message 33: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments I'll be hosting the Facebook party at 3pm, right on the heels of A.F. Stewart. Should be interesting... I'm a long-time fan of her work.

Hope to see you there!

message 34: by A.F. (new)

Ash wrote: "I'll be hosting the Facebook party at 3pm, right on the heels of A.F. Stewart. Should be interesting... I'm a long-time fan of her work.

Hope to see you there!"

Thanks for the promo, Ash. I'll be sticking around for your spot at 3 PM.

message 35: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments ill be there

message 36: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments just posted on my instagram account
https://www.instagram.com/bnc12d/

message 37: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Belinda wrote: "ill be there"
See you there! I'll be madly posting. So many things to share... the hour is going to fly by!

message 38: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments im ready lol

message 39: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Wow, that hour FLEW by. Thanks for stopping by to chat, everybody!

message 40: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Chacon (marinachacon) | 17 comments Hi Ash! I would love to read your book The heartbeat thief for a honest review.

message 41: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments Had a great time at your takeover

message 42: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Marina wrote: "Hi Ash! I would love to read your book The heartbeat thief for a honest review."Hi, Marina. Send me a message through my website www.ashkrafton.com and we'll get you hooked up. Thanks for stopping by!

message 43: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Belinda wrote: "Had a great time at your takeover"Me, too, Belinda. I appreciate all your support! Please contact me through my website www.ashkrafton.com because *~*somebody won a prize*~*

message 44: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments Ash I just contacted you I hope I did it right

message 45: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Clemons | 64 comments also signed up for your newsletter while I was there

message 46: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Winners Circle!

First, thanks to everyone who found time to stop by this booth during the con. This was such a huge event so I'm honored that you made it here. Thanks for your company and your support! I hope you found something here for your book pile :)

Second, I'd like to announce the winners of my giveaways...

The winner of the first contest for a copy of THE HEARTBEAT THIEF is Kaela!

The winner of the second contest for a Grimm Beanie Boo is Ashley!

The winner of the third contest (the FB party exclusive giveaway) for an audiobook copy of BLEEDING HEARTS is Belinda!

Thank you so much, ladies. It's a pleasure having met you all and I appreciate your support. Happy reading!

message 47: by Nix (new) - added it

Nix (rockie16) | 112 comments Ash wrote: "Winners Circle!

First, thanks to everyone who found time to stop by this booth during the con. This was such a huge event so I'm honored that you made it here. Thanks for your company and your sup..."

Awesome! Thank you!

message 48: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments I got everyone's info... prizes will ship by the week's end. Thanks again to everyone to stopping by!

The Goodreads Giveaway for THE HEARTBEAT THIEF goes until April 16th. You can still enter at

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 49: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Krafton (Ash_Krafton) | 58 comments Also, the National Librarian's Day giveaway mentioned in comment #4 above also goes until the 16th.

Those details are in this post here:

http://ash-krafton.blogspot.com/2016/...

Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heartbeat Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

A.F. Stewart (other topics)