Veronica Mars Book Club discussion

Good Reads vs Twitter for the #VMBookClub

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neptune Rising (new)

Neptune Rising | 587 comments Mod
Thank you for participating in our trial run of having the #VMBookClub on good reads! We would LoVe to hear ALL your feedback, pros and cons to the different platforms. The admins will looks all your feedback over, discuss, and let you know which platform we will continue to use for the remaining chapters of The Thousand Dollar Tan Line and any other upcoming Veronica Mars books.

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) one thing that i did NOT like was that i continually had to uncheck the "email me when people reply box" every single time i wanted to post a comment.

message 3: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) other than that i liked it :)

message 4: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments I really like having it on goodreads. I think it's a lot easier to follow conversations because we don't have conversations splintering off as people reply to on part of a tweet conversation compared to another. I also think it makes it easier for people to come back later and add to it (in case they can't make it). I also like how we aren't limited by characters. It was hard to condense some of my thoughts into 140 char. or less.

I know that there were some technical problems with the App on mobile devices, however some of us figured out how to work around them (use chrome or safari browser, and if you are on a phone go to the menu and click on revert to desktop mode). So I think the technical barriers can be overcome.

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Mia wrote: "one thing that i did NOT like was that i continually had to uncheck the "email me when people reply box" every single time i wanted to post a comment."
Agree! My email is bursting because I wasn't doing that at the beginning. I find the refreshing to see new posts is awkward. But if you were late I think this format makes it much easier to follow.

message 6: by Neptune Rising (new)

Here are some pros that I see to the Good Reads platform:
*Makes it very easy for people who can not participate to catch up later.
*Allows for posting to continue even after the session is over. Sometimes a thought hits you after the fact!
*Does not clog up the twitter feed of people who are not participating.
*Does not spoil the book for those who have not had a chance to read it yet.
*It allows marshmallows to interact with each other in a new way. We all know that we have great taste in television shows, it would be neat to see what each others taste in books are as well.

Cons to Good Reads:
*People on the app versus the website can not quote when replying to other participants.
*Quotes are cut off, and not posted in their complete version.
*I wish there was a "like" or "favorite" button, so often we agree with each other with out having a though to add as well.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Loved that I didn't have to shorten my thoughts to 140 characters counting twitter names.

message 8: by Neptune Rising (new)

The no 140 character limit is definitely a plus!

Em wrote: "I really like having it on goodreads. I think it's a lot easier to follow conversations because we don't have conversations splintering off as people reply to on part of a tweet conversation compa..."

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments YES! Miss the like or favorite button. Sometimes I just want to agree without typing a lot.

message 10: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Here are some pros that I see to the Good Reads platform:
*Makes it very easy for people who can not participate to catch up later.
*Allows for posting to continue even after the session is over. ..."

agreed

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments I'm wordy by nature so it was nice not having to fit it all in a short tweet. I do wish there was a favorite button of some kind, but thems the breaks.

message 12: by Neptune Rising (new)

Does anyone think it would run smoother on Good Reads if the moderator posted the enter 7 chapters under one topic? Or do you like it split up by chapter?

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments I think I might like them under one topic just so we can continue to add our thoughts on previous subjects as they occur to us.

message 14: by Neptune Rising (new)

Good point! Would it be helpful if we posted which chapter the plot point was from, and all 7 chapters under on topic?

For example:
Ch 22 Plot Point: Veronica meets with the Dewalt and Scott families to listen to the ransom demands.

Susan wrote: "I think I might like them under one topic just so we can continue to add our thoughts on previous subjects as they occur to us."

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Does anyone think it would run smoother on Good Reads if the moderator posted the enter 7 chapters under one topic? Or do you like it split up by chapter?"

Great idea! Then we could see when people commented on chapters after we moved on. This happened today and I didn't realize it until it was over.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Neptune wrote: "Good point! Would it be helpful if we posted which chapter the plot point was from, and all 7 chapters under on topic?

Me- favoriting this idea :)

message 17: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Christy wrote: "Mia wrote: "one thing that i did NOT like was that i continually had to uncheck the "email me when people reply box" every single time i wanted to post a comment."
Agree! My email is bursting becau..."

This can actually be changed in personal settings.
1. Go to Edit Profile
2. Go to emails
3. Scroll down to "Group email preferences"
4. Beside "Veronica Mars Book Club" you select the frequency you get emails.
5a. If you are following any specific discussions, right underneath you will see a message that says "You are following X# group discussions" Click on the link there.
5b. You will see all the specific discussions you are following, if you don't want emails, set email preference to "None"

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace | 37 comments I prefer Twitter as I like the speed of the responses. I don't like refreshing and having to go back and see when a new chapter discussion was ready.

message 19: by Neptune Rising (new)

EXCELLENT!! This sounds like a must marshmallows! Thank you Em!

Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Mia wrote: "one thing that i did NOT like was that i continually had to uncheck the "email me when people reply box" every single time i wanted to post a comment."
Agree! My email i..."

message 20: by Neptune Rising (new)

Grace if we discussed all 7 chapter in one topic posting would this solve that problem?

Grace wrote: "I prefer Twitter as I like the speed of the responses. I don't like refreshing and having to go back and see when a new chapter discussion was ready."

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Grace wrote: "I prefer Twitter as I like the speed of the responses. I don't like refreshing and having to go back and see when a new chapter discussion was ready."
I too don't like the constant refreshing and I don't like the new thread for each chapter, but I think if all the chapters were in the same discussion (as referenced in above comments) it would be easier.

message 22: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Does anyone think it would run smoother on Good Reads if the moderator posted the enter 7 chapters under one topic? Or do you like it split up by chapter?"

I'm probably one of the few people who liked the chapter discussions split up. I found it easier to follow the discussion without distractions until I was ready to move on.

message 23: by Neptune Rising (new)

Em, that is the exact reason why for this trial run I had split the chapters. I thought it would allow people to keep on track even when others move on without getting lost. If we decide to stay on the Good Reads platform maybe we could do all 7 chapters in one topic post and see how we like it and revisit the individual chapter posts versus one post topic at the end?

Em wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Does anyone think it would run smoother on Good Reads if the moderator posted the enter 7 chapters under one topic? Or do you like it split up by chapter?"

I'm probably one of the..."

message 24: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Em, that is the exact reason why for this trial run I had split the chapters. I thought it would allow people to keep on track even when others move on without getting lost. If we decide to stay ..."

While I have a preference, it's not a big deal to me because it still is a lot easier to follow than twitter because 1) they number comments and 2)comments are added to the end instead of everything being pushed down from the top 3)When you refresh the page, it puts you at the last comment you read.

message 25: by Neptune Rising (new)

I just want to thank everyone again in participating in this trial. It might seem silly to have a trial with so few sessions of the #VMBookClub left, but we already know we are getting another Veronica Mars book. And who knows how many more! Not to mention there might be other Veronica Mars related books in the future (I know there is a philosophy book expected). On this platform marshmallows could also discus Neptune Noir, even though it has been available for quite some time.
We are trying to find what works best long term. So thank you all for your participation and feedback! It really helps!

message 26: by Neptune Rising (new)

All very good points! I am glad that Good Reads has those functions =)

Em wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Em, that is the exact reason why for this trial run I had split the chapters. I thought it would allow people to keep on track even when others move on without getting lost. If we..."

message 27: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "I just want to thank everyone again in participating in this trial. It might seem silly to have a trial with so few sessions of the #VMBookClub left, but we already know we are getting another Ver..."

It might also be interesting to read other mystery books as well. Maybe do compare and contrast discussions.

message 28: by Neptune Rising (new)

Please feel free to continue posting in this all and all the topic discussions. The Neptune Rising admins will review all the posted feedback.
Thanks!
Lillian aka @VMepicLoVe

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 3 comments Me too, but I like not limiting characters and being able to jump in later if I can't be there at live time.

Christy wrote: "YES! Miss the like or favorite button. Sometimes I just want to agree without typing a lot."