The Filipino Group discussion

Sense and Sensibility
This topic is about Sense and Sensibility
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (Alona, Areli, Arjaye, Gwaxa, Mabelle, Meliza, Tina | Eavesdroppers: Blue, Cary) Start: April 28

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hello buddies! We start our buddy read of Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen today. Are you ready/excited/wary of how hard it will be? :D

There are 50 chapters, and based on my ebook copy, there are about 5-10 pages per chapter. Can we do 2 chapters per day? I figured the trick with reading Austen is you keep on reading even if it's hard to immerse in her language at first. Some time later, you'll get the hang of it and I think that's where the feels (if there are feels hehe) will kick in. :D

At this rate, we'll probably end by May 22-23. Medyo matagalan, pero commitment din kasi mag-3 chapters. :))

Just comment away if you've finished reading the chapters, or if you have any comment about anything in the book. :D

We can do this! =D (view spoiler)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments yay! excited but agreeing with u that getting the hang of the words used will be a challenge! but kaya natin to..hehe les do this!

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments chapter 1&2
i met the dashwoods. what ive noticed, theres no big difference then and now ages, when it comes to family dispute. same issues:money.
i lost count of the way john and fanny dashwood discussed on how to provide the promised help to his sisters. math talaga! talk about the yearly stipend.haha
bottomline: wife always has the last say. she can make or break the earlier decisions made by hubby. (guys talaga.. tsk!tsk! haha!)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments ayy plus the in-law stuffs. napansin ko din, kelangan me tension palagi. just sayin'...

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments To refresh my memory... Sali ako, puwede pa ba?

I read this during college days... May mga parts na limot ko na...

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Mabelle: sure! :d Kakastart pa lang naman.

I'm at Chapter 4 na; will recap later when I get some free time from work. :)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments start na pala to!

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Cary: yes!

Okay recap and comments:

Chapters 1 & 2:
Hello, Dashwoods! (view spoiler)

Chapters 3 & 4:
Now we have the Dashwood sisters. (view spoiler)

I like Elinor. She reminds me a bit of Anne Elliot from Persuasion. Marianne reminds me just a little bit of Lydia, but probably because she's passionate, but I really hope she isn't as boy crazy as Lydia.

I don't know if this is easier to read or I just had my Jane Austen goggles on because I didn't get too lost in the text when I read it. Here's hoping it remains that way for the rest of the book. :)

message 9: by twstrfries (new) - added it

twstrfries | 231 comments Nagstart na pala 'to. Nawala sa isip ko. Hahabol na lang ako this weekend. :)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments chapters 3&4:
Focusing on the Dashwood sisters here, Marianne and Elinor, their conversations and opinions. [spoiler]i think, mejo choosy si marianne natin..she doesnt like edward ferrars much for her older sis..but elinor is kind of liking him but scared to admit[/spoiler]

chapter 5&6:
The BIG MOVE. [spoiler]The Dashwoods' moving from Norland to Devonshire. As they settled at their new home, they were welcomed by their very accommodating landlord, Sir JOhn Middleton.[/spoiler] pero parang me tensyon between the Lady and the new tenants? hehe i think, i will know sa mga next chapters.

tina: i couldnt agree more.. feels like its easy to comprehend till now but im still bracing myself for some serious lit languanges that i wont be able to decipher soon... [spoiler]ooh! chicken lang sa mga classics..haha[/spoiler]

message 11: by Gwaxa (new) - added it

Gwaxa | 350 comments Hohoho. Habol ako this weekend. :)

message 12: by Cary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments guys, what do you think of marianne?

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 1-4

(view spoiler)

message 14: by twstrfries (last edited May 02, 2014 11:10PM) (new) - added it

twstrfries | 231 comments My reaction after realizing I have 12 chapters of backlog:
(view spoiler)

Chapter 1 & 2:
Can we skip the math, please? I read that twice just to understand how much money they are talking about.(view spoiler)

Chapter 3 & 4:
The Dashwood Sisters. (view spoiler)

Tina, I kindda like Marianne but if she turns out as another PBB Teen a.k.a Lydia The Second, OMGee ibababato ko talaga 'tong libro ko! At isusumpa ko si JA!

Chapter 5 & 6:
Goodbye Norland. (view spoiler)

6 chapters pa. Make that 8 tomorrow. I find this easier to read than P&P or siguro dahil nakabasa na ko ng JA expected ko na mahihirapan ako.

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 5-8

(view spoiler)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments chapters 7-8:

The Middleton's. [spoiler]seems like they are compatible kahit malaki ang diff nila sa ugali. But they agreed on one point: ang mag paparty ng magpparty.haha they always like to be in the crowd as what JA had described them.[/spoiler]

Mrs. Jennings. [spoiler]haha!i cant moved on sa.."she had now therefore nothing to do but to marry all the rest of the world". magpapalista na ko kaya ke Mrs. Jennings.[/spoiler]

Marianne towards Colonel Brandon. [spoiler]Obviously, she doesnt like him, or even wanted to like him. Grabe naman kung makapag matanda si Marianne ke Brandon. rheumatism and all.haha Tama kayu, Alona and Meliza...Marianne is one hell of a laitera. But i still like her.. honesty and being able to tell what she feels. Unlike Elinor[/spoiler]

Elinor and Edward.[spoiler]i smell something's fishy..hmmm! what happened to him at nag didissappearing act ke Elinor??[/spoiler]

message 17: by Tina (last edited May 03, 2014 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Caught up today! I am really, really surprised at how readable this is for me. :)

Chapters 9-10:
(view spoiler)

Chapters 11-12:
(view spoiler)

Comments:
I like Marianne. :) Alona, I think she's not a Lydia! Pero she's very, very hopeless romantic, especially in the chapters when she meets (view spoiler)

I have to admit that I am slightly spoiled in the story because I peeked at Wikipedia (ugh), but I still want to know how it will turn out. Overall, I like the sisters, and I want what's best for them. Medyo extremes lang sila, but I have a feeling they will learn from each other (well, yun naman ata talaga yung point). :D

Long comment is long. May ginanahan mag-recap. XD

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments taking this slow but sure... haha!

chapters 9&10:
Meet Mr. Willoughby.
[spoiler]After Colonel Brandon, another prospect for Marianne. But this time, much to her liking. And JA obviously had lain it all on the table. Books, music, name it. It was funny when Elinor said "for ONE morning I think you have done pretty well. you have already ascertained Mr. Willoughby's opinion in almost every matter of importance." --- i can sense sarcasm..haha! go ate! :)

Eventhough they contradict each other, most of the time, it's but normal, sisters are pretty much like that. I should know, I have but one and only! :)[/spoiler]

Tina: couldnt agree more! [spoiler]when the feeling's mutual, heaven! :) plus un nga, knight in shining armour ang peg ni Mr. Willoughby, shooting-jacket and guns and all.[/spoiler]

message 19: by Meliza (last edited May 04, 2014 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapters 9-12

Tina: (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Meliza: I didn't read all the wiki naman. I stopped when I read about someone doing something to someone else. Haha. So I don't know if what you said is going to happen. Hehe.

I think I may just be terribly cynical, because Willoughby has (view spoiler). But I hope not, too. And Meliza, I wish spoiler>there's a happy ending for Colonel Brandon, too. We'll find out soon enough. :D

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments *a wild eavesdropper appeared!*

Little story about Colonel Brandon:
(view spoiler)

Done intruding for the day! Enjoy your reading, everyone XD
*poof*

message 22: by twstrfries (new) - added it

twstrfries | 231 comments Chapter 7-8:
(view spoiler)

Chapter 9 - 10:
(view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapters 13-16

(view spoiler)

Blue:(view spoiler)

message 24: by Gwaxa (new) - added it

Gwaxa | 350 comments Hello buddies. Sorry late ako sa reading plan (chapter 8 pa lang) so random thoughts na lang.

(view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 17-20
(view spoiler)

message 26: by Tina (last edited May 11, 2014 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments I'm not sure which chapters we should be at this point (too lazy to count), but I just finished Chapter 24 and my reaction: (If you haven't read up to chapter 22, do not click!)

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Gwaxa (new) - added it

Gwaxa | 350 comments Tina: On your spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 28: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Gwaxa: (view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 21-24

Tina:(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments ooohh.. im so late! work owned me this past few days. i can only read what my hectic sked allows me. promise ill make it up to JA soon. :)

Arjaye Nitro | 40 comments habol habol din pag me time..haha! chapter 17.. (view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Arjaye: Excited to read your thoughts on the next chapters. Hehe.

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 25-28
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments So sorry I haven't been reading/posting! Didn't read much during my trip, and also kind of busy with my new work. :/ I will try to catch up over the weekend :)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Tina: I have stopped at Chapter 28. It's quite difficult to read this at the same time with To the Lighthouse. Will try to continue after Woolf's. Hehehe.

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Chapter 29: (view spoiler)

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments Agree with you Meliza...

I have just finished reading...

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Hi Mabelle! I finished reading the book this morning too. (view spoiler)

Mabelle Ortega | 139 comments Meliza

(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.