The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things discussion

KingKiller?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited May 03, 2014 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Can someone explain why this is labeled as part of the KingKiller Chronicles on Goodreads??

No where does Rothfuss state this is part of that series. This is a novella about one of the characters in KKC but not part of it, as I understand it anyway.

How can we have this fixed?

message 2: by Mike (last edited May 03, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Nerdgirl, thank you for your response. I completely understand and assumed as much. I just wanted to be sure. I thought maybe someone knew something I did not.

I have read as much as I can find about this book and as I understand it, the book is completely separate from The KKC aside from focusing on one of the more intriguing characters in that series. I just don't see the point of including a designation that denotes this novel as part of the KKC when I do not believe it is the author's intent for this to be part of that series. His blog even states that the news he was releasing was not regarding the next book in the KKC. Rather it was regarding news of the release of a different novel.

Maybe I'm just being silly, but it just doesn't make much sense.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Why do you care? Close enough, isn't it?

message 4: by Mike (last edited May 04, 2014 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike What kind of remark is that Sebastian?

Goodreads is a site for readers, authors and info about books. Why have incorrect information out there? It negatively impacts the whole purpose of this site. When searching for or researching titles, I'm trying to gather reliable info and learn if it's something I might enjoy. If close enough is an acceptable answer then it undermines what I believe a vast majority of Goodreaders use the site for.

If I was unfamiliar with the KKC and was interested in learning more about it, came to Goodreads and read that this is a book in that series only to ultimately learn via a different resource that was not the case, then goodreads looses it's credibility and I choose to utilize the other resource.

Obviously one inaccuracy is not really a big deal, but if you live by the standard "close enough" then one inaccuracy eventually turns in to an abundance and I imagine that is something that a person or company who is providing others with a product or service would wish to avoid.

message 5: by Parzival (new)

Parzival Honestly, I believe the tag "KKC 2.5" is justified. The .5 is used to denote a book that belongs in the realm of the original series yet stands apart and can be read apart.

If this book turns into a series of its own, which purely judging by the length on the novel, seems unlikely, then obviously a different tag must then be applied. Listing this book under the KKC universe is correct, as the information architecture of the tag is derived from the original series.

idcboobs Parzival wrote: "Honestly, I believe the tag "KKC 2.5" is justified. The .5 is used to denote a book that belongs in the realm of the original series yet stands apart and can be read apart.

If this book turns in..."

Except the term "2.5" would imply that it's suggested to read the book after the second book and before the third, however the case with this book is that you could read it completely out of order.

You would not even have to have read previous books to understand this novel as it really answers or gives any questions towards the series. Even still, ".5" books usually (in the cases i have seen) come out after a series is completed, which this series is clearly not even close to.

I would label this book "KKC 0.01" to be honest, just so people know it's within the same world; it just has no relevance towards the series, neither does it change or answer anything within other books.

message 7: by Mike (last edited Nov 01, 2014 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Ah, I see it was changed. Tales from Temerant. Now that makes sense! :)

Mike Well it was changed........

Mike GR conflicting info:

3 works, 3 primary works

Stories set in Patrick Rothfuss's world of Temerant, that are not part of the Kingkiller Chronicle series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/1352...

message 10: by C.C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.C. I would strongly oppose removing the KKC designation from this book. It's a tie-in to those books, and the .5 designation makes it easy to find if you're looking to read the KKC proper and all related works.

Andrew If Rothfuss had cut the length of The Wise Man's Fear by about 350 pages, and included both Bast and Auri's tales scattered throughout that book instead, it would have been a helluva lot more interesting.

Which would make Auri's tale part of the KKC after all. But that is just wishful thinking.

idcboobs Andrew wrote: "If Rothfuss had cut the length of The Wise Man's Fear by about 350 pages, and included both Bast and Auri's tales scattered throughout that book instead, it would have been a helluva..."

Yeah even if he took out 200 pages of that tedious book and added in auri's story every few chapters it would have made sense.

why release a 150 page novella for $30? that's just ridiculous

message 13: by Mike (last edited Mar 24, 2015 09:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike C.C. wrote: "I would strongly oppose removing the KKC designation from this book. It's a tie-in to those books, and the .5 designation makes it easy to find if you're looking to read the KKC proper and all rel..."

It's not a tie in. It has absolutely nothing to do with either of the KKC story lines etc. One does not need to read either of those works in order for this book to be understood as this story stands alone. Conversely, one does not need to read this in order to better understand the plot, etc., of either TNOTW or TWMF.

This book contains a character from those works, the story takes place in the same world (Temerant), and within a place (The Underthing) mentioned in those works. Unless I'm missing something huge, the similarities end there. "Tales from Temerant" is a more appropriate designation.

It just doesn't make sense to me, but it obviously does to others. As such, I will digress and move on.

message 14: by Jon (last edited Mar 24, 2015 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Am I the only one who caught the part where she's preparing for "him" to show up? You know, one premise of the story is the timeline that she only has xx many days to find just the right gift before he arrives, she makes a pallet for him, etc. Sounds to me like foreshadowing Kvothe being booted from the University and going underground.

Claire Idcboobs wrote: "Parzival wrote: "Honestly, I believe the tag "KKC 2.5" is justified. The .5 is used to denote a book that belongs in the realm of the original series yet stands apart and can be read apart.

If th..."

or maybe call from the world of KKC, instead of KKC 0.01. That implies that SROST took place before the Name of the Wind