Veronica Mars Book Club discussion

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line > TTDTL Chapter 28

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neptune Rising (new)

Neptune Rising | 587 comments Mod
Plot Point: Veronica is driving to Bakersfield when Mac calls to tell her that Hayley's "proof of life" story used in the ransom demand was posted by Hayley on her Facebook page 5 years ago.

message 2: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments This made me sure that Haley was dead

message 3: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Veronica calls Mr. Oxman to tell him about the Facebook post, then looks up Mr. Jackson's phone number and leaves him a message.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Mac and Veronica's phone call reminded me so much of how the "good old days"; like nothing ever changed haha

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Veronica is driving to Bakersfield when Mac calls to tell her that Hayley's "proof of life" story used in the ransom demand was posted by Hayley on her Facebook page 5 years ago."
This made me sure the ransom was fake. I already thought it was but this clinched it.

message 6: by Neptune Rising (new)

Same here! Poor Mac, scrolling through 5 YEARS of Facebook posts!!!

Hannah wrote: "Mac and Veronica's phone call reminded me so much of how the "good old days"; like nothing ever changed haha"

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 57 comments Really makes you wonder how much detecting was done. And I have to give it to Mac goin through 5 years of anyone's Facebook must have taken forever!

message 8: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Nothing really did ;)

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Margarita wrote: "This made me sure that Haley was dead"

Me too.

message 10: by Neptune Rising (new)

At this point I'm not wondering if it was fake, I'm wondering who made the fake demands...

Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Veronica is driving to Bakersfield when Mac calls to tell her that Hayley's "proof of life" story used in the ransom demand was posted by Hayley on her Facebook page 5 ..."

message 11: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Veronica calls Mr. Oxman to tell him about the Facebook post, then looks up Mr. Jackson's phone number and leaves him a message."

It's interesting to think about how different this case would roll out had Veronica called Lianne just to ask for Lee Jackson's phone number.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Dawn wrote: "Really makes you wonder how much detecting was done. And I have to give it to Mac goin through 5 years of anyone's Facebook must have taken forever!"
This is Mac- she probably wrote a program that searched through the posts for keywords.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Yeah, Mac is definitely dedicated; 5 years worth of Hayley's Facebook timeline would've taken a long time. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it might be a little too late to save Hayley

message 14: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Veronica questions the waitresses at the diner Murphy ate at after Hayley ran off. One waitress remembers Murphy. Neither recognize Hayley.

message 15: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Em wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Veronica calls Mr. Oxman to tell him about the Facebook post, then looks up Mr. Jackson's phone number and leaves him a message."

It's interesting to think about how d..."

yes V would do things differently had it not be Lianne

message 16: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Susan wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Really makes you wonder how much detecting was done. And I have to give it to Mac goin through 5 years of anyone's Facebook must have taken forever!"
This is Mac- she probably wrote a ..."

ha! totally

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments In other words it means Hayley never went to the diner; only Murphy did

message 18: by Neptune Rising (new)

True! But Lianne asking Tanner for Mr. Jackson's phone number might have tipped off Tanner....

Em wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Veronica calls Mr. Oxman to tell him about the Facebook post, then looks up Mr. Jackson's phone number and leaves him a message."

It's interesting to think about how d..."

message 19: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Hannah wrote: "In other words it means Hayley never went to the diner; only Murphy did"

It confirmed Murphy's story

message 20: by Neptune Rising (new)

A small part of me was hoping she was bunkered down in the motel. And someone was bringing her food. But a bigger part of me knew...

Hannah wrote: "In other words it means Hayley never went to the diner; only Murphy did"

message 21: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments I think for me the moment I knew we weren't going to see Hayley again was when we saw the hotel. Was too much like Amelia Longpre

message 22: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Veronica realizes that the diner is halfway between Neptune and Stanford.

message 23: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Exactly like Amelia!!!

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber (likeadeadstar) Hannah wrote: "Yeah, Mac is definitely dedicated; 5 years worth of Hayley's Facebook timeline would've taken a long time. And yeah, I'm pretty sure it might be a little too late to save Hayley"

Nah, Mac is clever enough to have written a script to search her profile for specific key phrases. ;)

message 25: by Neptune Rising (new)

This is the point where I could not tear my eyes away from the book! Things were really heating up!

message 26: by Neptune Rising (new)

a Good Reads vs Twitter topic has been posted =)

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "This is the point where I could not tear my eyes away from the book! Things were really heating up!"

Me too. But I was that way the whole time.

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 3 comments I hoped so too or that her boyfriend picked her up and had her stashed away somewhere, but that made no sense, so it was that moment where you kind of knew it wasn't going to end well.

Neptune Rising wrote: "A small part of me was hoping she was bunkered down in the motel. And someone was bringing her food. But a bigger part of me knew...

Hannah wrote: "In other words it means Hayley never went to t..."