Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Fun and Games > The A-Z Bookish Survey Tag

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2493 comments Another book tag for anyone interested. This is one I've never seen on Youtube, but it looked like a great one.

A - Author you've read the most books from
This is an easy one for me. My favourite author -- Jodi Picoult. I haven't quite read all of her books yet, but I've read the vast majority of them and loved most (except maybe Keeping Faith

B - Best sequel ever
I'll go with a relatively obvious choice, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I interpreted "sequel" as the second book in a series, although really I'd say the entire Harry Potter series. The Hunger Games series is in a very close second.

C - Currently reading
Rebecca. My progress on this book unfortunately has been a lot slower than I expected because of my work commitments recently, but the book is amazing. It reminds me a lot of Jane Eyre.

D - Drink of choice while reading
I don't really have one. I don't usually eat or drink while reading because I don't like the chance of spilling or messing up my books.

E - E-reader or physical book?
I only ever read physical books. I find that I tend to skim things when I'm reading them off a screen. It may just be because I grew up reading print books only, so the whole e-reader thing is still very new to me. Although I can see the benefits for packing light for a trip.

F - Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school
I've never really been into the whole "crushes on fictional characters" thing, so I've honestly never thought about it. Possibly Laurie from Little Women

G - Glad you gave this book a chance
Definitely Defending Jacob. I read this last year as part of my PopSugar reading challenge, and I really didn't expect much. It ended up being one of the best books I read all year.

H - Hidden gem
I'm not sure if this really qualifies since it seems to be gaining popularity, but Big Little Lies comes to mind. I'd read The Hypnotist's Love Story first and I liked it, but didn't love it. I chose Big Little Lies for a relatively difficult prompt on last year's challenge, and ended up really loving it. Also, from the children's book side, Odd Duck, a really great book about being "normal."

I - Important moment in your reading life
Reading out loud to my dad when I was younger. My dad would come home from work and was tired, so instead of him reading to me, I would read to him and sometimes he'd fall asleep.

J - Just finished
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, as part of my challenge for this year.

K - Kinds of books you won't read
I'm really not that picky as long as it has an interesting story/characters and is well-written. I don't often go for paranormal books or "Harlequin"-type romances, but I'd be open to them if they were good. I also don't read a lot of horror but that's just because I'm a coward and ghost stories tend to haunt me.

L - Longest book you've read
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

M - Major book hangover because of
I was trying to avoid putting Harry Potter too much on this list, but Harry Potter Boxset was definitely a major culprit for this one.

N - Number of bookcases you own
Personally, I only have two which have three shelves each and it is nowhere near enough for all of my books. I also have a couple of shelves in my closet. There are several other bookshelves in the house, but they are all filled with my mom's books.

O - One book you have read multiple times
Little Women, one of my favourite books of all time.

P - Preferred place to read
In my room, either on my bed or sitting at my desk so I have access to Spotify for music.

Q - Quote that inspires you
“If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you.” —The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne

R - Reading regret
Not being brave enough/committed enough to try some of the longer classics that have been sitting on my shelves forever. Especially Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers. I collected a whole bunch of classics when I was younger because of watching Wishbone and I always intended to read them. Then I never had the time because of school, and now a full-time job.

S - Series you started and need to finish
This doesn't really apply to me, since I'm not a huge fan of series. I've already finished all the series I've started.

T - Three of your all-time favourite books
Pride and Prejudice, Little Women and House Rules

U - Unapologetic fangirl for
Harry Potter and the Addams Family

V - Very excited for this release more than all the others
Living Color. It's taking way too long for this book to be released!

W - Worst bookish habit
I used to fold down the corner of the pages of my books to mark my place instead of using a bookmark, but I don't do that anymore. I really hate when my books get damaged, and I usually won't lend them to people because I don't know how they'll treat them. Other than that, I guess I'd say trying to set "goals" for myself for how much I'll read each day, and these end up being completely unrealistic and just makes me discouraged.

Also, deciding partway through buying a series/books from the same author that I want to change formats. For example, the first few Nicholas Sparks books I bought were the short mass market paperbacks. Then I decided I hate when the book is that size, and switched to hardcovers as much as possible. Now my set doesn't match well, and can't be put in chronological order without looking ridiculous.

X - X marks the spot (27th book from the top left on your book shelf)
A Bend in the Road

Y - Your latest book purchase
I actually don't buy a ton of books since my mom works for a public library and because my room is already so full of books. I mostly borrow books, or sometimes my mom can get a few of the discarded ones free. I think the last books I actually bought were Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and its sequels.

Z - Zzz-snatcher (last book that kept you up way too late)
Technically The Promise of Stardust was the last book to keep me up late. It isn't the best book I've read, but it was very interesting. To me, it seemed almost like a cross between Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult. I stayed up late because I was getting close to the end and wanted to see what happened.

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3479 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Terry Pratchett. I've read 31 of his books so far, and have two more planned for this year already.

B - Best sequel ever
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It was the book in the series that had me the most desperate for the next book's release, and I was on the edge of my seat for the entire time.

C - Currently reading
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Burial Rites, Complete Poetical Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Dead Souls and I'm also listening to The Fellowship of the Ring.

Definitely a cup of tea.

Both have their charms.

Nobody comes to mind.

The Color Purple - I never would have picked this up if it wasn't for the Popsugar challenge last year, but I'm so glad that I did. I fell head over heels in love with it.

H - Hidden gem
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly ... yes, that's right, the chook book gets a mention yet again. It's a translation of a Korean book, and it's just beautiful.

Most definitely getting to share my love of reading with my little spider. I love how much she already loves books & stories, and she is just so imaginative, creative & questioning. I'm sure reading has helped that along immensely.

J - Just finished
Fahrenheit 451, and I loved it.

My tastes are fairly broad, and I'll give most things a shot. I'm not a huge fan of chick-lit, romance, heavy sci-fi, CIA-type thrillers or Westerns though. But books can always surprise you, so I try to keep an open mind.

I think It by Stephen King, at 1116 pages.

Jude the Obscure, because although I loved it, it was the most depressing book I've ever read in my life, and I seriously considered never reading another book ever again after I'd finished it. I even had to take it off my Kindle immediately in case it infected the other books. Yes, really.

I have two here in my office, one in my spider's room (which houses all of my old books as well as hers), plus I have wine crates as a bedside table, and one of them is full of books.

The Harry Potter series.

In the bath, in bed (although I usually end up falling asleep), on the couch, on the train, in a cafe ... anywhere, really.

“You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” - William Faulkner.

R - Reading regret
Not reading more when my daughter was a baby & younger. I missed out on a good four years of reading, but I just couldn't find the book love.

Well, the Discworld series would have to be the one as I started it back in ... umm ... around 1995.

The Harry Potter series, Charlotte's Web and Frankenstein.

Harry Potter!

Nothing. Boring, I know!

W - Worst bookish habit
Reading too many books at once, and buying so many books at book sales.

Madame Bovary ... and do you want to hear something spooky? I looked at my bookshelf and knew straight away that would be the one.

On Photography by Susan Sontag. Now stalking the postie for it!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban kept me up until 3am the first time that I read it as I literally could not put it down until I had finished it. That was in 2001. I do stay up late reading often though!

message 3: by Francesca (last edited May 18, 2016 02:43AM) (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Yay! More book tags!

Technically J.K Rowling but she is probably going to be over taken once I read more books by Stephen King.

B - Best sequel ever
I could put all of the Harry Potter series in here, but I'll try and add some variety here so I'll say A Clash of Kings.

C - Currently reading
Rats Saw God, Modern Romance, Attachments.

Coca cola. Regular. This isn't really exclusive to when I'm reading, though, I just drink this more than any other drink. I have a slight addiction to it.

I always prefer physical books, although I do read some e-books.

Ron Weasley. He's hilarious and he's got a big heart.

The Handmaid's Tale, I had no idea what to expect from it and I absolutely loved it. I also now love Margaret Atwood and am trying to make my way through the rest of her work.

H - Hidden gem
A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories, my favourite book and story from childhood and it seems that very few people have ever heard of it or read it which is a massive shame because it really is a beautiful story.

When I read Carrie. It introduced me to Stephen King, who became one of my favourite authors, it started me on my journey into the horror genre, it became one of my all time favourite books, and it reignited my love of reading which I had lost at one point. What more could I ask for from one book?

J - Just finished
The book I most recently finished was Yes Please.

I won't read books that I feel promote or romanticise unhealthy or abusive relationships (either mentally or physically).

A Clash of Kings

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The whole series, but this one nearly destroyed me.

I own one which has about 6 shelves and each shelf can fit two rows of books. It's not enough though!

Harry Potter Boxset (I'm counting this as one, also I'm failing on trying to use things other than HP)

Curled up or sprawled out on the sofa in the living room, with my cat either on my lap or next to me, and preferably a blanket over me too if it's cold. I also like reading in bed, though.

I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. - The Color Purple

R - Reading regret
Falling into a slump for a few years where I barely read anything. Now I'm trying to make up for lost time!

A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin. I know I'm going to enjoy the rest of them, but they're so tough to get through. I will persevere though.

The Color Purple, Carrie, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (ok the whole HP series).

Too many things! Mainly Harry Potter Boxset, though. Which is evident by my clear inability to stop mentioning it all the time.

At the moment, On the Other Side. I love Carrie and I'm really looking forward to reading this.

W - Worst bookish habit
Buying too many and hoarding the ones I own.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

I had a bit of a splurge recently and bought about 5 books, but they arrived at separate times. The last one to arrive was Ring.

I usually manage not to do this because when I get tired, I basically decide that's it I'm going to bed, so it's usually only if I'm really close to finishing a book that I will stay up later to finish it. The last one I remember doing that with was The Girl with All the Gifts.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Dekker | 6 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Philippa Gregory. I haven't read all of her books, but I plan to catch up soon.

B - Best Sequel Ever
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, although I haven't read many books that have sequels.

C - Currently reading
The Islanders by Christopher Priest and Leviathan Wakes by James S. A Corey.

Coffee with Hazelnut syrup in the Winter. Cold glass of coke if it's Summer.

I love both formats, but the content is always more important.

This is a hard question. One of the male characters from the Georgia Nicolson series, probably. Maybe Dave. He's a laugh. I loved that series in high school.

I'm glad I've started to read Leviathan Wakes. My boyfriend recommended it a while ago, but I always put it off.

H - Hidden gem
I'm not sure if The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly counts. Was that popular?

When I read The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, because that's when I really got into historical fiction.

J - Just finished
How To Be Parisian Wherever You Are.

I've never really been that into chick-lit or romance novels, but I'd probably give any genre a go if the right book catches my eye.

Really long books kinda put me off, but it's probably Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I remember Lovely Green Eyes by Arnost Lustig really affected me because I was kinda young when I read it, but the most recent was Gone Girl because it was so hard to like any of the characters.

One, which currently has shoes on it in my wardrobe because I don't have enough space for it any where else, and it's kinda small. I like displaying the few books I actually own. But most of my books come from the library.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

On my sofa with a blanket.

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

R - Reading regret
Going a really long time without reading between books.

The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey

The Other Boleyn Girl, The Help, and The Islanders

Doctor who, Harry Potter and Battlestar Galactica

I have no idea about the books that are going to be released this year if I'm honest.

W - Worst bookish habit
Starting a new book before I've finished the one I'm already reading. I know people do this a lot but I find it just takes me longer to read both of them.

I don't own a bookshelf, all my books are spread out across my flat.

The last book I got was The Islanders, although I didn't buy it I'm borrowing it.

The Islanders, although I rarely stay up late to read because I have to get up early.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 726 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
"Lemony Snicket". I love the Series of Unfortunate Events

B - Best sequel ever
I love Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling , but Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins stole my heart. I love everything in it!

C - Currently reading
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead . I miss highschool ):

Water

Physical, physical *starts dancing*

Harry Potter. Unfortunately, we broke up. lol

Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner - I paid 3 bucks for it and is soooooo cute!

H - Hidden gem
I think Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner counts, because none of my friends have heard about it.

Cedric's death

J - Just finished
The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I don't like erotic books. Ew
Excpet for The Bridgertons hehehe

A Batalha do Apocalipse by Eduardo Spohr

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes

1 ):

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

My uncle's house in Atibaia/SP.
He lives in a place with trees and a lake. You read with the sound of birds and the smell of flowers. It is perfect!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."

R - Reading regret
I had a hangover after Harry Potter series. it took me 5 reads to read another book again.

A Series of Unfortunate Events
Narnia
Vampire Academy
Percy Jackson
The Seventh Tower
aaaand counting

The Hunger Games!

William Traynor

Nothing at all!

W - Worst bookish habit
Finger nail biting

I will see this when I get home

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I could stop reading Me Before You!

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla A - Author you've read the most books from
Most likely Stephen King.

B - Best sequel ever
Wayward

C - Currently reading
How to Breathe Underwater (week 11 book)
Xenocide (week 4 book)
The Penguin Book Of Modern Fantasy By Women (week 51 book)
Desert God CD: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (week 32 book)
Anteeksi ei voi antaa

Red wine in the winter, chilled white wine in the summer.

Both; I only started reading ebooks less than a year ago, so it's still a bit new to me, but I'm liking it.

I don't get attached to fictional characters, so I can't really answer this question.

To Kill a Mockingbird. I was quite suspicious, as I don't usually like classics, but it ended up being a four-star read for me.

H - Hidden gem
I don't know whether they can be called exactly hidden since they have an fairly high overall rating, but a few books that I have enjoyed recently and are maybe not that widely read are The Empire of Ice Cream and Run, Don't Walk: The Curious and Chaotic Life of a Physical Therapist Inside Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

When I got my own library card at the tender age of five years!

J - Just finished
Embryo

Erotica, western, religious

Umm, probably either It or The Stand (not sure which edition I've originally read).

Can't think of any series or a single book that I would have mourned to have finished.

2 (and don't ask how many ebooks)

Nowadays I don't do rereads, so that would be some books I read when I was a kid, like The Hobbit, A Little Princess or Charlotte's Web.

In my bed or in the summer on the backyard terrace.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
― H. Jackson Brown Jr., P.S. I Love You

R - Reading regret
Maybe not exactly a regret, but I wish I would enjoy classics more; I tend to find them slow and boring.

Ahhh, too many to count! Some of those that I REALLY either want or need to finish are Ender's Saga, Wayward, Maze Runner, Ashes trilogy, The Mortal Instruments, and MaddAddam.

LoTR, The Stand, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

LoTR and Hunger Games

Not especially excited about anything at the moment, but would like to read the next book in the Bill Hodges Trilogy as well as the next one in the Mime Order series.

W - Worst bookish habit
Buying too many books!

Flood by Stephen Baxter

Today I bought a kindle countdown book, New Year Island.

Wayward! Can't wait to get the third book from the library.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra | 374 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Stephen King. I've read probably 75% of the books he's published and am in the process of going back and re-reading all of them in chronological order by date of publication.

B - Best sequel ever
I will go with Anne of Avonlea, which is the 2nd book in the Anne of Green Gables series. I discovered Anne during last year's challenge (I think I read Anne of Green Gables for a book more than 100 years old). I adore Anne and I've really enjoyed both of the books I've read so far. It's nice to read something simple and sweet once in awhile.

C - Currently reading
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin and Danse Macabre by Stephen King. I'm also listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on audio.

I don't really have one.

Physical books by far. I might use my kindle when travelling since it's easier to take more books that way. But I work on a computer all day and I like to get away from a screen and turn pages when I am reading for pleasure.

Ron Weasley. I love this character. I like his dry sense of humor. Plus he's a little bit awkward like I was.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I listened to this one on audio even though I'm usually not one for romances. I really enjoyed the first one and have listened to all the books in this series except the very last one, which I am doing for this challenge for historical fiction week. None of the subsequent ones have lived up to Outlander for me though. If you like audio books, the narrator of this series is FANTASTIC!

H - Hidden gem
The Rosie Project. I don't know if this is a hidden gem to anyone else, but I had never heard of the book until a friend recommended it to me. The Sheldon Cooperesque main character was fun for me to read.

My grandma taking my little brother and me to the library every two weeks to turn in our books and check out new ones. I loved the library! I also remember reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for the first time. I had never read anything like it and it was mesmerizing to me.

J - Just finished
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It was OK. I wanted to like it more than I did because I was so drawn in by the title.

I hate to say there's something I absolutely wouldn't read, but in general, I really don't read Harlequin-type romances.

Well, for a paper book the longest was The Stand at 1,153 pages. But if I include audiobooks, it was The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) which was the equivalent of 1,443 pages.

I'm not sure I've had one. Maybe the Outlander series.

The Stand

P - Preferred place to readAt home on my sofa.

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” by L.M. Montgomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables books.

R - Reading regret
I regret spending the time finishing Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I hated it and should have put it down and spent time reading something I enjoyed.

A Song of Ice and Fire, Anne of Green Gables, Chet and Bernie mysteries,

Pride and Prejudice, House of Sand and Fog, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Tyrion Lannister

The next book in The Song of Ice and Fire series

W - Worst bookish habit
Buying too many books and adding too many books to my TBR list.

Frankenstein

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and The Night Circus

A Storm of Swords

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2493 comments I'll have to update mine -- I totally forgot about the Narnia series! I may have finished it when I was younger, but I only clearly remember reading The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I think I had my mom read the next book or two to me while I was sick with the flu, so I probably slept through half of it. I'm pretty sure I finished them all at some point, but I can't really say for sure.

message 9: by star_fire13 (new)

star_fire13 | 204 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Probably Cassandra Clare or Richelle Mead, since they just keep writing more and more books and spin-offs and things from the same universe.

Haha okay, looking at my shelf, it turns out it's James Patterson. I forgot that I've read like, 5 of his series. I don't think that counts though, because he always co-authors, which is how he's able to publish a new book every month. After him, it's Robert Kirkman, because I read volumes of The Walking Dead. After him though, it's Charlaine Harris, who yes, I'll definitely count.

B - Best sequel ever
Oh fuck if I know. I think I'll go with any of the Vampire Academy novels, because I really liked those

C - Currently reading
Beastly Bones, Lair of Dreams and A Feast for Crows

A mug of hot chocolate or tea. If it's summer, it'll be iced haha

I prefer physical books, and to keep my reading list consistent, I always select the hardcover edition of books, so that I can see how all my reading stacks up next to each other on a level field. I do read a lot of e-books though, because they're easy to carry around.

Hmmm... I dunno. I can't think of any one book character that stands out in my mind. I mean, I can tell you who I'd date from whatever book I'm currently reading, or if you were to name a book, but I don't have any one character that I can just say "YES, HE IS MY LITERARY BOYFRIEND"

Vampire Academy. I thought it was going to be more shitty Twilight stuffs, but it wasn't! I mean, it's still a YA novel revolving around vampires, but it was nowhere near as vapid as I thought it would be

H - Hidden gem
The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's gained some traction since the movie came out, but it's still very under-rated

Reading with my dad. Or maybe reading with my grandpa

J - Just finished
Their Fractured Light

Harlequin romances, unless for the lolz. I also tend to avoid realistic fiction too

A Storm of Swords

Cassandra Clare. And Richelle Mead. God piss, every fucking time.

I own 3: two with 5 shelves and one with 3 shelves. But I need another. I want one with 4 shelves

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My basement, I suppose, or in my bed.

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

R - Reading regret
Not reading more when I was in high school

The Dresden Files

Le Petit Prince, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, The Host

Vampire Academy

The final Age of X book!

W - Worst bookish habit
Being OCD about organizing my public library holds and scheduling time to maximize how many books I can read. Sometimes I get on a real reading bender, where I can't stop reading. Even when I've read my requisite 3 books that week, instead of focusing on other things I need to do, I'll start another book.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 3

I don't tend to buy books since I go through them so quickly and rarely re-read them. I'm guessing the last book I bought was a Baby-Sitters Club book, trying to complete my collection

Winter

message 10: by Gail (last edited Feb 13, 2016 05:38PM) (new)

Gail (abbygg) | 292 comments Marking it for later...

Martha Grimes - 27, with one on the TBR

B - Best sequel ever
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

C - Currently reading
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett for several challenges

Oh, easy - hot tea (and sometimes wine...)

Both - depends on the book and where it is going when I'm finished with it.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

H - Hidden gem
Stella Bain by Anita Shreve

Being allowed to walk to the library by myself and spend the entire afternoon there. By today's standards I was very young.

J - Just finished
The Importance of Being Earnest: A Trivial Novel for Serious People, a novel adapted from the Oscar Wilde play.

Vampire. They literally turn my stomach. It's all reflex, it just happens!

War and Peace. 1392 pages

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

9... four tall ones with five shelves each, 3 shorter ones with 3 shelves each, 2 with 2 shelves - spread out over five rooms. Actually there are books in every room of the house except the bathrooms (unless I'm reading in there). I believe a room has a soul if it has books in it...

Little Women

two places - reading corner in the living room and reading corner in my bedroom.

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." - Maya Angelou

R - Reading regret
That I didn't read to my children more when they were little.

Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series.

T - Three of your all-time favorite books
Atlas Shrugged, The Eyre Affair, and The Eight

Alexander McCall Smith's Flavia DeLuce series.

Louise Penny's next book!

W - Worst bookish habit
Yelling at guests when they pull a collectable book off the shelf by hooking their finger over the spine!!!! (and I don't apologize...)

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Arcadia by Iain Pears

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

message 11: by Alicea (last edited Feb 25, 2016 08:41AM) (new)

Alicea (pandypuddingpie) A - Author you've read the most books from
Roald Dahl

B - Best sequel ever
Off the top of my head I'd say either Insurgent or Scarlet (I'm trying to go with recent books that I've read.)

C - Currently reading
Two books at once: In Our Own Image: Savior or Destroyer? The History and Future of Artificial Intelligence and The True Meaning of Smekday

Usually nothing...maybe coffee or tea depending on the time of day

Depends on what I can get my hands on but in general physical books are my jam.

Ron Weasley of Harry Potter lore

Cinder This series is now one of my absolute favorites of all time.

H - Hidden gem
The Historian

There are two. When I first discovered Little Women in my school's library and the encouragement of my town's librarian to read anything I could get my hands on.

J - Just finished
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (The Taliban Shuffle MTI): Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan

Romance.

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer I'm not sure if it's THE longest but it felt like it at the time.

The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear

3.5 The .5 is this really long shelf I have that runs across one wall which was originally intended for help with storage in my tiny apartment. Needless to say, I have book piles EVERYWHERE.

The Neverending Story I make a point of rereading it every year.

Wherever. I wish that I had a designated reading nook like I've pinned on Pinterest. lol

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune by Frank Herbert

R - Reading regret
Buying a copy of The Magicians. I'm mad that I wasted my money on it. :-/

Dorothy Must Die: The Other Side of the Rainbow Collection: No Place Like Oz / Dorothy Must Die / The Witch Must Burn / The Wizard Returns / The Wicked Will Rise

The Neverending Story (mentioned already), Warm Bodies, and The Rise & Fall of Great Powers

Harry Potter Boxset

Stars Above (Yes, I know it's already out but I'm broke.)

W - Worst bookish habit
Telling myself that I'm "just going to have a quick look" inside of a bookstore and coming out with 3+ books.

Oops I'm at work (shh don't tell my boss) so I have no clue but I'll guess based on how I've organized things that it's most likely a Jane Austen or a Charles Dickens book.

It's a short story collection by a new author...I don't remember the name of it or the author so...

Winter

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) A - Author you've read the most books from
Sue Grafton

B - Best sequel ever
Any of the Sue Grafton sequels.

C - Currently reading
A Short History of Wisconsin

Just water if anything.

I do both because some books I have read and want to read only come in ebook format.

I have no idea, there have been so many characters that I liked.

All Quiet on the Western Front I thought this book would be too boring, but it was actually very interesting and some parts were entertaining.

H - Hidden gem
For me it would be Swamplandia! or The 7th Day. I thought both books were very well written and had a great story.

Too hard to pick. My stepson used to hate reading, but he noticed me always reading and now he actually enjoys, so I guess that counts, lol

J - Just finished
Memoirs of a Fighting Dog

I read anything, but I'm not a big fan of romance.

It

Sue Grafton's Alphabet series. Another is a series by Liliana Hart

1 right now, plus my night stand on my side of the bed is packed with books.

Press Here. My oldest daughter loves this book. I lost count on how many times I've read it.

Either in bed or the recliner.

"Friends are like a rare book of which only one copy was made" author unknown

R - Reading regret
I have no regrets....yet.

Several, lol. Some are not even complete yet and some I lost track of that I read when I was younger.

My Sister's Keeper
The Giver
Eragon

The Shannara books

Hard to pick

W - Worst bookish habit
I can't think of anything.

ebook: Before The Clock Strikes
paper book: Spooker

ebook: The Hound of the Baskervilles
paper book: Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home

State of Wonder

message 13: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1111 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
This is already difficult. haha!

I seem to have my flavors where I will marathon an author's books until I am current with them, and then stop reading them until I am 5 books behind. Currently I seem to be on a Joe Hill kick, but Gregory Maguire, Stephen King, Lois Lowry, Edgar Allan Poe, and R.L. Stine are all authors that I have read a majority, if not all, of their collections.

B - Best sequel ever
Ummmmm ..... I'm not sure. Of more recent stuff I would say Catching Fire, and older pieces (before I was born) I would say The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2) by Douglas Adams

C - Currently reading
The Way of Kings
The Bone Clocks
Dorothy Must Die
Inside the Third Reich
QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer QBQ! The Question Behind the Question Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life by John G. Miller

Usually just my Nalgene bottle of water.

I definitely prefer physical books, but prefer to take my a Nook with me when I travel because I have more options with less weight to carry in my backpack.

Is it weird that I have never thought about this?

Big Little Lies and Me Before You

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes

H - Hidden gem
The Lady Astronaut of Mars
Misfortune

The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal Misfortune by Wesley Stace

When I finished my first "big kid" chapter book in the fourth grade. For some reason that year I thought it was a smart idea to tackle Moby-Dick; or, The Whale. It took me nearly an entire semester and a lot of help from my parents and teachers to get through it, but I did it. I'm still pretty prous (and a little horrified) of that moment.

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville

J - Just finished
Empire State
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

Empire State (Empire State, #1) by Adam Christopher The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean

I'll usually give anything a chance, but I do tend to avoid chick-lit, especially the Harlequin Romance-esq novels. Smut-mance is not my cup of tea.

Infinite Jest (1,188 pgs.)

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Any time I am soooooo close to finishing a book, and it's already 3:00 AM, but I have to be up for work at 7:00 AM.

Not enough! Seriously. I only have 3 1/2 right now. I had three that broke during my move this past summer and I haven't replaced them yet. I'm using it as an excuse to thin things outs before I start building on.

O - One book you have read multiple times - I know it says 1, but these are my top 2 and are probably tied.
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Titanic: The Long Night

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou Titanic The Long Night by Diane Hoh

Anywhere! I can tune just about anything and anyone out.

“My dreams were all my own; I accounted for them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free.”
Mary Shelley

R - Reading regret
Pandora's Star

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

The Maze Runner Series

The Maze Runner Files (Maze Runner) by James Dashner

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Frankenstein
The Grapes of Wrath

Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire Frankenstein by Mary Shelley The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Anything Edgar Allan Poe and Alice in Wonderland: The Complete Collection

Alice in Wonderland The Complete Collection (Illustrated Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Illustrated Through the Looking Glass, plus Alice's Adventures Under Ground and The Hunting of the Snark) by Lewis Carroll

Nothing right now. I'm just trying to catch up on what's already out there.

W - Worst bookish habit
Wanting to fold back the book when I'm reading a paperback. I'm getting better about it, and it's really difficult to do with a thicker book.

Which books shelf? ;)

1: Neverwhere
2: Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race
3: Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
4: Petrograd

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman Earth (The Book) A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race by Jon Stewart Trail of Tears The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation by John Ehle Petrograd by Philip Gelatt

Dorothy Must Die
The Wicked Will Rise
Yellow Brick War
Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files Omnibus Volume 1
In the Woods
The Wordy Shipmates
Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison
Seven Locks
Language Arts
If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer
The Mountain Story
Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2) by Danielle Paige Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3) by Danielle Paige Locke & Key, Vol. 2 Head Games by Joe Hill Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files Omnibus Volume 1 by Jim Butcher In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell Fish A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison by T.J. Parsell Seven Locks by Christine Wade Language Arts by Stephanie Kallos If I Did It Confessions of the Killer by O.J. Simpson The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens Missoula Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer

Wool Omnibus and Howl's Moving Castle

Though I have a feeling Dorothy Must Die will fall into this category.

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 159 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Johanna Lindsey

B - Best sequel ever
Silver Brumbies of the South and it's not even close.

C - Currently reading
Morning book 11/22/63
Evening book Matched

Mocha.

Physical book. E-reader is okay for non fiction but if I'm reading a story I don't feel in the book like I do when it's a physical book. Maybe that will change as I get used to it.

Nathaniel from Into the Wilderness

After the First Death. It's really not my type of book but I really enjoyed it.

H - Hidden gem
Dianne Blacklock. Have loved everything of hers I've read but my sister is the only other person I know who has read any of her stuff.

When I was 10yo my aunt gave me Jane Eyre for Christmas. My mum told me I was probably a bit young for it and I'm sure I didn't understand all of it but I loved that I'd read a book that big.

J - Just finished
Life Colors: What the Colors in Your Aura Reveal This had been on my to-read list for so long I can't remember where it came from, but it was quite interesting.

Any dark, I definitely don't do horror.

Gone with the Wind 1011 pages.

Jessica I saw the mini series on TV about 10 years before I read the book and the ending was my favourite part. Then when I read the book it was so different it might as well have been a different story all together.

3. Boxes of books under the bed don't count right?

Tomorrow, When the War Began

I love to go down to the local botanical gardens and sit down there, it's beautiful.

"Nature won't be summoned to order, and it won't be kept waiting" - Monet.

R - Reading regret
When I finished high school and went on to further education I stopped reading for pleasure and just read for school.

Outlander.

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, Ironbark, and Gone with the Wind

Walter Scott

I'm not so organised that I know what books are coming out ahead of time.

W - Worst bookish habit
I play with my bookmark in one hand whilst reading and they get ruined.

The Duke

Brethren: An Epic Adventure of the Knights Templar A local bookstore was having a closing down sale, all items $6. I exercised restraint and only bought one.

Heart of the Valley

message 15: by Susan (last edited Apr 01, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Susan | 143 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
P.G. Wodehouse

B - Best Sequel Ever
The Dark is Rising

C - Currently reading
Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise
Monday Mourning
Renaissance Florence: A Social History

Coffee but occasionally wine in the evening

Physical book, although my Kindle is convenient when I remember to charge it

Oh dear, I'm not really sure... Let me think about this one

To Say Nothing of the Dog

H - Hidden gem
Expecting Someone Taller

I read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler when I was a kid, and I've wanted to run away to a museum ever since.

J - Just finished
The Problem of the Evil Editor

Romance novels aren't usually my thing

Les Misérables, though I'm not a fan of it
Vanity Fair was so much better!

12 at home

Just one? Pride and Prejudice
The Lord of the Rings

on the couch

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy Sayers

R - Reading regret
Introducing my son to Lloyd Alexander because now he won't give back my copy of The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set

Kathy Reichs' Tempe Brennan series

Gaudy Night
Thank You, Jeeves
Persuasion
This changes daily though....

J.R.R. Tolkien
P.G. Wodehouse
old Doctor Who
so many...

I'm not sure what's coming out.

W - Worst bookish habit
I tend to leave books around the house

Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs

The library book sale...On the last day I scored a bag of about thirty books for $5.

I do this about once a week.

message 16: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3837 comments Mod
Most likely Stephen King

B - Best sequel ever
Probably Catching Fire but The Girl Who Played with Fire is a close second.

C - Currently reading
Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
Beautiful Creatures (Audiobook)

I don't usually drink anything but I guess just water.

I absolutely my kindle. I love the ability to check books out from the library so easily and to start a new book anywhere.

I guess Gale from the The Hunger Games - I loved in a small town and liked the "nice guys" so the boy next door was probably the pattern :P

The Pilot's Wife - The reviews were lower than what I usually like to stick to but I absolutely loved it.
20th Century Ghosts - I don't like short stories most of the time but I love Joe Hill. I haven't found any short stories that I've liked as much as the ones in this collection.

H - Hidden gem
Dangerous Girls

Probably either starting the 2015 Challenge or when I got my first kindle.

J - Just finished
A Monster Calls

I read a lot of different genres but I'm not really a fan of sc-fi/fantasy and I don't know that I've ever read an actual traditional "romance"

Gone with the Wind

I get these a lot :/
Recently...
Pretty Girls
Bird Box

Only one. I don't own many physical books but I do have a goal to buy all my favorites sometime soon. Right now my physical books are just ones I've come across for cheap so they aren't really indicative of what I actually love to read. (I'm looking at you, Jackie Collins)

I don't reread books so I would have to go back to some children's book.. likely a Dr. Seuss :P

I live in a studio apartment right now but I would much prefer to read outside somewhere, like on a patio of some sort.

I always come back to Sarah Kay's TED Talk even though it isn't a book. If you haven't seen it then watch it. Immediately :)

"She’s gonna learn that this life will hit you, hard, in the face, wait for you to get back up so it can kick you in the stomach. But getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air."

R - Reading regret
I don't really have any. I don't read classics but that's okay. Life's too short for me to suffer through books I don't enjoy. I guess I regret that my memory is too poor to remember the books as well as I would like. ha..

There are some that I don't plan on finishing but the ones I do:
Dublin Murder Squad
Outlander
Locke & Key
Millenium

Gone with the Wind
11/22/63
Heart-Shaped Box

Joe Hill. Anything Joe Hill.

None really. I usually read books as I find them. Which is likely why my plan changes so much.

W - Worst bookish habit
Being quick to abandon.

I don't have that many on my shelf...
But the last one is The Exorcist

I couldn't even say. Probably House of Leaves

Bird Box

message 17: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 29 comments A - Author you've read the most books from

Janet Evanovich thanks to her Stephanie Plum series. I don't even enjoy them anymore, because it's the same story over and over, but at this point, I've put so much time into it I keep thinking it has to end sometime and somehow.

B - Best sequel ever

Without just naming my favorite series, and if we're only looking at the second book, I really liked Son of a Witch

C - Currently reading

What Alice Forgot and I'm listening to All the Bright Places

I don't have to have a drink while reading, but if I have to choose, it's usually coffee in the morning and wine at night (especially if I'm sitting outside)

I prefer physical book, but I have to admit that my phone is sometimes the easiest since I can hold it in one hand and snuggle with my little one at the same time.

Um, I'm not sure.

Cinder This book seemed popular, but I was really unsure reading that it was about cyborgs and androids. I'm so glad I gave in and I'm now quickly making my way through the entire series

H - Hidden gem

Amber Frost I needed a book with a snowflake on the cover, and I'm so glad I found this even though it is only available in ebook format

Finding this group last year (or actually the popsugar reading challenge that led me to this group) because it reminded me how much I love to read and proved that I could read a lot more than I had been.

J - Just finished

Scarlet audiobook and The Cuckoo's Calling - April book of the month

I will read about anything if a reliable source suggests something, but I don't normally read horror, crime, harlequin romances, or erotica

A Storm of Swords

Most recently what comes to mind is The Nightingale

Only one right now if I don't count those filled with children's books. I don't really buy books that often now that I don't work at a book store

The Harry Potter collection. I used to listen to these over and over when I was in college

Anywhere that I'm away from my daughter. Unfortunately, at this stage in life, I feel like I get the most read while listening to audiobooks in my car

I've never been one to remember quotes, write them down, or anything like that. Sometimes it seems like such a nice idea, but nope, not happening and I've accepted it.

R - Reading regret

So many choices. Not reading more during/shortly after college. Thinking I didn't like audiobooks while in college. Not exploring different genres earlier. I guess that is probably my biggest regret. When I was younger I only read what my mom liked and assumed I didn't like fantasy, dystopia, etc.

Quite a few I'm sure, but right now, I'm most excited to finish the lunar chronicles and the lost magic series

This is really hard, even counting the Harry Potter series as 1. I also love The Nightingale and Firefly Lane both by Kristin Hannah.

Harry Potter

I'm usually extremely late to discover books and realize when books are released. However, I did enjoy Spelled last fall, and it's suppose to have a sequel coming out at the end of this year.

W - Worst bookish habit

I don't know, getting totally sucked in to where I don't do anything but read maybe?

Twilight

Never Never I have no idea before this as I normally don't buy books anymore, but I really wanted to read this for last year's challenge and the library never got it. When we started the challenge this year and the (I think) first week was something you meant to read in 2015, I knew I needed to get this. It also helped that I got a gift card for Christmas :)

Clockwork Princess

message 18: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2703 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Oh boy, I am not 100% sure but I dare say Sue Grafton. I have read her alphabet series from A all the way up to and including X.

B - Best sequel ever
I would have to say The Marvelous Land of Oz and all the follow up stories inThe Complete Wizard of Oz Collection

C - Currently reading
Mort by Terry Pratchett. Reading this book out of order for a reading challenge but I am pretty sure that I will go back and read the rest of the intertwined series that go along with it.

I also am not much of an eater/drinker while reading. If I do, it's iced tea (ok sometimes it's got Long Island origins, don't judge me) or hot tea.

I usually read e-books. It's so much easier to carry them with me and they don't bother my arthritis as much as real books do. Also, the back light works better at night for me than a book light. Oh and most important, the e-reader doesn't hurt as much as a hard cover book when I fall asleep while reading and smack myself in the forehead with it. :-/

I don't think I have ever had a fictional character crush. Maybe I was a little jealous of Laura in Little House on the Prairie books. I never felt she treated Alonso as well as he deserved. I think that was more because I knew he was based on a non-fiction character so I cared more about his feelings because once upon a time he really had them.

The Kite Runner If it hadn't been for the 52 books challenge, I don't think I would have read this one. It wasn't at all what I expected.

H - Hidden gem
Anything by E.R. Mason. I feel like he should be much bigger in the literary world than he is. I adore all of his books.

Two come to mind. one was "meeting" my future babysitter on a book mobile when I was an infant. She had a two story bookcase along one wall in her living room and I was FASCINATED with all those books even though we couldn't touch them. lol The second would be my mother getting a job in a book store (Mr. Paperback) when I was young. It lasted about a year I think but the ladies there made sure that I had loads of books to bring home to read and fill up my own full wall bookshelf that my daddy built for me.

J - Just finished
Graduation Day

I really don't like anything romancy, I have even given some of my favorite authors heck because somewhere mid series they decided to start throwing random sex scenes in that felt so disjointed to the story. Sex for sexes sake. My favorite response was the author who told me her sister made her do it. Do sisters get blamed for everything? lol I also don't do much thriller or horror anymore but that has to do with decreasing nightmares that I already have not so much not enjoying the stories.

The Complete Wizard of Oz Collection has 2,222 pages and I read that in one very long stretch.

Oh this happens so often. The last time would have been with Library of Souls. It's usually worse with short books than long ones for me because I hate leaving a book with "just two more chapters" to go.

We have a very small home with a LOT of people and pets so my book collection only consists of a small TBR pile. My dream home however has towering wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookcases in every room :-)

Not much of a multi time reader. There are a few that I read as a preteen/teen that I have reread but it's never the same as reading it the first time so I avoid it.

In bed at night or in the car waiting for kids after school

Not much of an inspirational quote kinda gal

R - Reading regret
Not reading the Harry Potter series with my son. At the time I bought into the whole YA is for kids idea. Now I know better but it's 15 years too late. :-(

I just started a Terry Pratchett book that links into several other series. I will probably work on the rest of those. I just downloaded two books and a short in the Dying for a Living series and the most recent release in the Graveyard Shift series.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Flies and Peter Pan

Grim Reaper books and sci fi novels :-)

Y and Z in the Sue Grafton series just because I am convinced that woman will die before she finishes this series and we will all be left hanging for eternity. Please Sue, for many reasons but at least a little bit for your writing, please don't die, ever. :-(

W - Worst bookish habit
Bad habits? ME? Surely you were speaking to someone else....

I don't have 27 books on my physical book shelf but 27th on my goodreads TBR bookshelf is 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover. Interesting.

I just went on a little spree and bought Dying for Her, Worth Dying For and Dying Light to catch up on the Dying for a Living Series. I also bought Ghost Market which was just released for the Lana Harvey, Reaper's Inc series.

I think that was Library of Souls but I stay up way too late reading every night.

message 19: by Michelle (last edited May 08, 2016 07:57PM) (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1183 comments A - AUTHOR YOU'VE READ THE MOST BOOKS FROM
Probably J.K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith or Roald Dahl.

B - BEST SEQUEL EVER
I was really blown away by The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. It was the perfect follow up to The 5th Wave. I don't know if it's the "best ever." but it's certainly one of my tops.

C - CURRENTLY READING
I'm currently reading a lot. I've always got several books going at a time so that I always have a book available to me (on my phone/tablet, in my car, at work, etc.) I'm currently reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, The Vegetarian by Han Kang, The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine, A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro, The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, and The Body Book: The Law of Hunger, the Science of Strength, and Other Ways to Love Your Amazing Body by Cameron Díaz.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle The Vegetarian by Han Kang The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1) by C.J. Redwine A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Body Book The Law of Hunger, the Science of Strength, and Other Ways to Love Your Amazing Body by Cameron Díaz

D - DRINK OF CHOICE WHILE READING
My reading drink is what I normally drink. Tea. Hot tea. Iced tea. Or water.

E - E-READER OR PHYSICAL BOOKS?
Both. I use the Kindle app on my phone and tablet to read books when I'm away from home and don't have the luxury of hauling a bunch of books with me. I read on my phone whenever I'm stuck somewhere waiting around (doctor's office, grocery line, car mechanic, etc.). I take my tablet with me on trips to have an entire library in my hand without adding unnecessarily to my luggage. But I still love the feel of a physical book in my hand. I love the aesthetic of a physical book. I love the smell of a physical book. I don't think I'd ever want to give up physical books. I do think that e-books and physical books can live together harmoniously though. ;) Anything that makes reading more accessible is a-okay in my book!

F - FICTIONAL CHARACTER YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY DATED IN HIGH SCHOOL
I don't really crush out on a lot of fictional characters. I can't say never, but not often. If I'm being real, I was a big nerd in high school and I dated other big nerds. I would have likely dated someone like Zack Lightman from Armada.

G - GLAD YOU GAVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE
That is a tough one. Obviously I don't read books I think I'll dislike in the vain hope that I'm pleasantly surprised to find it's enjoyable. Sometimes I read books I wouldn't have otherwise picked up because of the hype surrounding them but I'm rarely blown away. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey springs to mind. I probably wouldn't have read that if not for the hype and I was surprised how much I liked it. I think Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes deserves mention. This is one that I never got around to reading in school which I totally regret. It's fantastic and I wish I would've read it sooner.

H - HIDDEN GEM
Hmm, I truly cannot think of any underrated little gems on my shelves. I don't know... maybe Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels, but this one was wildly original and funny.

I - IMPORTANT MOMENT IN YOUR READING LIFE
Getting the opportunity to moderate and be part of this group is a good one. I really enjoy it, I've "met" so many wonderful readers, and I think it has pushed me to read outside of my box.

J - JUST FINISHED
The last book I finished was This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp. It was a big let down.

K - KINDS OF BOOKS YOU WON'T READ
I'd like to think there is nothing I wouldn't at least try. I'm picking about romance in general but bodice-ripping romances definitely don't do anything for me. I don't often read horror books either. I'm a 'fraidy cat.

L - LONGEST BOOK YOU'VE READ
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (870 Pages). After this year, assuming I finish it, it'll be The Complete Sherlock Holmes (1897 Pages).

M - MAJOR BOOK HANGOVER BECAUSE OF...
The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I love, love, love the characters in this book so much that I feel like I'm losing friends every time I reach the end.

N - NUMBER OF BOOK CASES YOU OWN
One, for now. We're currently building some custom shelves in our new home office/nerd cave. Hopefully we're done soon... is there a sight so depressing as books in boxes?

O - ONE BOOK YOU HAVE READ MULTIPLE TIMES
Well, The Help because, again, I just can't get enough of the characters. I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series this year and I'm sure this is a series I will read again and again throughout my life. If I have children in the future, I hope I can share the magic with them.

P - PREFERRED PLACE TO READ
I like to curl up in my bed in a cocoon of blankets. I also like reading outside on nice days. In the winter, I like a hot cup of tea, a warm fire, and furry pooches to snuggle up to while I'm reading.

Q - QUOTE THAT INSPIRES YOU
I love quotes. This is tough. I really liked this one from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. I read it recently and thought this was a great quote.

"To die will be an awfully big adventure."

It sounds kind of morbid, I guess, but I see it as more of challenge. Live so fully that death is but the next great adventure. :)

R - READING REGRET
There are so many bad books I wish I could take back. Also, not reading more classics. I let them intimidate me sometimes. I often regret not reviewing books soon after reading them.

S - SERIES YOU'VE STARTED AND NEED TO FINISH
Many. I've got a whole shelf dedicated to them right here.

T - THREE OF YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE BOOKS
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes The Help by Kathryn Stockett

U - UNAPOLOGETIC FANGIRL OF...
Harry Potter. If I live to be 100-years-old, I will love the magic of this series.

V - VERY EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE MORE THAN ALL THE OTHERS
Definitely Belgravia by Julian Fellowes. I need more Julian Fellowes in my life.

W - WORST BOOKISH HABIT
I take much too long to review and then I forget all the points I want to make.

X - X MARKS THE SPOT (27th BOOK FROM THE TOP LEFT OF YOUR BOOK SHELF)
It's Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden in paperback.

Y - YOUR LAST BOOK PURCHASE
My last physical book purchase was a copy of White Oleander by Janet Fitch that I picked up from the thrift store. The last e-book I purchased was The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I have been trying not to buy books until our remodel is complete just because it's too chaotic in here.

Z - ZZZ-SNATCHER (LAST BOOK THAT KEPT YOU UP WAY TOO LATE)
What Lies Between Us by Nayomi Munaweera was the last book to keep me from getting a good night's sleep. It was dark and haunting and brutally sad.

message 20: by Kirsten (last edited Jul 03, 2016 06:25PM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) A - AUTHOR YOU'VE READ THE MOST BOOKS FROM
Hands down. J.D. Robb -- I am so addicted to the In Death series, combined with the fact that there are 44 in the series so far.

B - BEST SEQUEL EVER
I'm really not sure. Of all the series, I think I'll go with Glory in Death, the follow-up to Naked in Death. Naked was good, but Glory was great!

C - CURRENTLY READING
I currently have 13 books in progress:
A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2) by Laura Morrigan The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6) by J.D. Robb Netherland by Joseph O'Neill Caliban's War (Expanse, #2) by James S.A. Corey Great Expectations by Charles Dickens The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck Life After Life by Kate Atkinson Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) by Dean Koontz Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee The First Patient by Michael Palmer A Dance to the Music of Time 1st Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #1-3) by Anthony Powell Ghostly A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger The Dark is Rising The Complete Sequence (The Dark is Rising, #1-5) by Susan Cooper

D - DRINK OF CHOICE WHILE READING
Depending on the time of day, it could either be coffee or water or a glass of vino.

E - E-READER OR PHYSICAL BOOKS?
People can be really judgmental about this. I'm not that selective. I read books in hardcover, ratty dog-eared paperbacks, library books, used, e-books, audiobooks.
If it's something I am passionate about, like Jane Eyre I would like a nice copy. If it's something I only want to read once I'm not picky.
There are some cases where audiobooks are preferred. The In Death series, the Royal Blood series, the Artemis Fowl series, the Dresden Files. Audible also sometimes gets actors to narrate/perform a book (Dracula done by Tim Curry & Alan Cumming, for instance).

F - FICTIONAL CHARACTER YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY DATED IN HIGH SCHOOL
I notice they aren't asking which character I'm most in love/lust with. That would be one set. As I never had a date in high school, this is a moot point.

G - GLAD YOU GAVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE
A tie. The Sound of Glass by Karen White - normally not a big fan of Southern domestic fiction, but this book held me from the first chapter. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I always thought Picoult was an author for fans of Oprah. This book was incredible! I wanted to re-read it as soon as I finished.

H - HIDDEN GEM
I'm not sure what qualifies as a hidden gem. But one of my favorite books of last year didn't even make also-ran in the Goodreads Choice Awards!
The Bees by Laline Paull The Bees by Laline Paull

I - IMPORTANT MOMENT IN YOUR READING LIFE
I'm not sure what this would be. Perhaps when I got my first Kindle or discovered Audible or discovered Goodreads...

J - JUST FINISHED
After the Quake by Haruki Murakami

K - KINDS OF BOOKS YOU WON'T READ
Preachy Christian fiction. Books by pundits or employees of Fox News. Books by right wing nut jobs. Abridged audiobooks (why?)

L - LONGEST BOOK YOU'VE READ
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (1,006 pages)

M - MAJOR BOOK HANGOVER BECAUSE OF...
Every time a new In Death or Black Dagger Brotherhood book comes out. I won't answer the phone. I don't watch tv or listen to the radio. I barely am able to do basic calls of nature for myself and the dog. All life stops.

N - NUMBER OF BOOK CASES YOU OWN
4 - just for my books. That doesn't count the books for all my dad's military fiction.

O - ONE BOOK YOU HAVE READ MULTIPLE TIMES
The In Death series. Jane Eyre. The works of Jane Austen. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Frankenstein. Dracula. A Christmas Carol.

P - PREFERRED PLACE TO READ
See Emm's answer above.

Q - QUOTE THAT INSPIRES YOU
I don't know if it's inspiring, but I love it!
"If coincidences are just coincidences, why do they feel so contrived?" -- Fox Mulder, The X-Files

R - READING REGRET
I stopped reading science fiction after high school (mid-80's) and have only recently gotten back into it.

S - SERIES YOU'VE STARTED AND NEED TO FINISH
There is seriously not enough space here. I am tracking 385 series in my Fictfact.com account. Ones that I really want to work harder on are the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey; Honor Harrington by David Weber; Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (off the top of my head).

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The love of Eve Dallas and Roarke in In Death.

V - VERY EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE MORE THAN ALL THE OTHERS
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

W - WORST BOOKISH HABIT
I read way too many books at the same time.

X - X MARKS THE SPOT (27th BOOK FROM THE TOP LEFT OF YOUR BOOK SHELF)
Finding Mr. Right by Emily Carmichael

Y - YOUR LAST BOOK PURCHASE
Used bookstore - The Magnificent Spilsbury and the case of the Brides in the Bath by Jane Robins
Kindle - Savage Lane by Jason Starr
Audible - In the Waning Light by Loreth Anne White

Z - ZZZ-SNATCHER (LAST BOOK THAT KEPT YOU UP WAY TOO LATE)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

message 21: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 14, 2016 06:01PM) (new)

Elizabeth A - Author you've read the most books from:Clive Cussler

B - BEST SEQUEL EVER:Tokyo Killby Barry Lancet

C - CURRENTLY READING:Deeply Odd& Something Wicked: A Ghost Hunter Explores Negative Spirits

D - DRINK OF CHOICE WHILE READING: Depending on what I want: Ice water, ice cold apple juice , ice cold orange juice,orange juice and sprite( I drink this when I have a migraine) or lemonade

E - E-READER OR PHYSICAL BOOKS? both for me, where ever I go I at lest have one paperback or hardback with me along with my iPad so I can read my kindle books on it. and the same when I'm at home.

F - FICTIONAL CHARACTER YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY DATED IN HIGH SCHOOL: Frank or Joe Hardy

G - GLAD YOU GAVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE: ok so those a lot I could answer for this one but I'm going with : Rose Madder by Stephen King , it was the very first book of his I ever read and for some reason I just couldn't get into it, but this year my sister got me a new copy and its now one of my like ones.

H - HIDDEN GEM: June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

I - IMPORTANT MOMENT IN YOUR READING LIFE: When I got back into reading in 2015 after been in a really bad reading slump for a very long time.

J - JUST FINISHED:Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

K - KINDS OF BOOKS YOU WON'T READ: comics, graphic novels, Christian fiction, and manga

L - LONGEST BOOK YOU'VE READ:The Stand by Stephen King the complete and uncut version its 1,141 pages

M - MAJOR BOOK HANGOVER BECAUSE OF: The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone because I need to know what happens next and this book only came out this year.

N - NUMBER OF BOOK CASES YOU OWN: need to get new ones for my bedroom .

O - ONE BOOK YOU HAVE READ MULTIPLE TIMES:Subterranean Subterraneanby James Rollins

P - PREFERRED PLACE TO READ: up in my bedroom but when its just me and my puppies at home then the living room

Q - QUOTE THAT INSPIRES YOU: You can find magic wherever you look ,sit back and relax , all you need is a book : Dr.Suess

R - READING REGRET; have as yet to pick up and read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series

S - SERIES YOU'VE STARTED AND NEED TO FINISH; The Order of the Sanguines by James Rollins,

1;Treasure Island
2:The Hound of the Baskervilles
3:Dracula

The love of Eve Dallas and Roarke in In Death

V - VERY EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE MORE THAN ALL THE OTHERS; The Emperor's Revenge BY Clive Cussler

W - WORST BOOKISH HABIT: KEEP GOING TO eReaderiQ and getting tons of free kindle books ( I now have 947 kindle books)

X - X MARKS THE SPOT (27th BOOK FROM THE TOP LEFT OF YOUR BOOK SHELF)The Book of the Dead: The Hieroglyphic Transcript and Translation into English of the Ancient Egyptian Papyrus of Ani by E.A. Wallis Budge

Y - YOUR LAST BOOK PURCHASE: Cell by Stephen King plus a hole lot of free kindle books

Z - ZZZ-SNATCHER (LAST BOOK THAT KEPT YOU UP WAY TOO LATE):Blood InfernalThe Order of the Sanguines Series by James Rollins

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
Karen McCombie I suppose, that was back when I was a child though. I read all the Ally's World and Stella Etc. books so that's 23 in total.

B - Best sequel ever
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows if that counts? It's not book two

C - Currently reading
My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises

I don't really have a preference... maybe a cup of tea?

I like to have a physical book, it's just not the same on a little screen! Plus books smell nice.

I don't remember fancying any book characters when I was in high school. I would have liked someone like Peeta from The Hunger Games I guess.

Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person. The first sentence in the book is something like "I'm old and I like to lie" and then goes on to say she lies all the time and how she used to make up elaborate dramatic lies about her family and stuff when she was younger. I can't stand people who do that. Pathological liars are not nice people. I knew one. Plus what's the point in reading a memoir written by someone who's going to make half the thing up? I put it down and only picked it up after a couple of weeks. Her writing style is so irritating but I actually found the story quite inspiring and I think there was some really good advice in there, so overall I'm glad I read it.

H - Hidden gem
I love The Sacrifice but I am biased because it's set very close to where I live. It only has 17 ratings on Goodreads!

I can't really think of any... When I started using the library I suppose? That's where most of the books I read come from. Otherwise it would cost me a fortune! Whoever came up with the concept of a public library, they are a genius.

J - Just finished
Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person

Them sci-fi/fantasy books full of trolls and elves and whatnot. No goblins from Planet X please. I like my books to be somewhat realistic. (I first read Harry Potter when I was a child so that's a bit different.)
Also, erotica. I just find it really awkward to read!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (870 pages)

Ok Google says lasts one to two weeks... I've never had that. I felt a bit funny after reading the last Harry Potter book because I'd spent most of my childhood reading them and trying to guess with friends what was going to happen at the end and now there was nothing left to guess. I was 14 and kinda felt like my childhood had ended!

One

To Kill a Mockingbird

In my garden

"Being in the minority, even a minority of one, does not make you mad." - George Orwell, 1984

R - Reading regret
Reading the books I was given as a teenager instead of the ones I wanted to read. I loved teenage diary books but never read many of them because I was given more "high-brow" books and now I'm too old to read that kind of thing. If I'd read so many I got bored of them I wouldn't feel slightly unsatisfied now.

His Dark Materials. I must have read the first book about ten years ago, I've read it more than once, I like it. The second and third books have been in my house for ten years, I just always have so many books to read.

A Little Life, Dead Famous, The Diary of a Young Girl

I wouldn't say "fangirl", I don't scream or collect memorabilia or anything but I love the Harry Potter and The Hunger Games series.

The only book on my to-read list which hasn't already been released is The Astonishing Thing.

W - Worst bookish habit
Borrowing books from the library when I already have several to read already.

After Eight It's funny, ok?

I rarely buy books but Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time because it was in a charity shop.

The Night Rainbow

message 23: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 388 comments Love this idea, and enjoying reading everyone else's lists!

Agatha Christie I am lucky to have a part work collection of her work - there are 84 books in it! I didn't read them in the order they arrived and there's a handful I'm not sure if I read or not, so I'm currently reading them all in publication order. But I must have read around 80 of them before.

B - Best sequel ever

Probably Catching Fire as I'm interpreting this quite strictly to mean second book in a series. If I were to include any later book in a series it would probably be Night Watch by Terry Pratchett ( but more of that later...)

C - Currently reading

Print Diamonds Are Forever
Audible Stephen Fry's Sherlock Holmes
These are both repeat reads - I am reading all Ian Fleming's Bond books in publication order and 'Diamonds' happens to be one of the ones I've read before. I'm a fan of the movies but the books are mostly quite a lot different (in a good way)
I listen to Audio books in bed, and Stephen Frys voice is very relaxing. I don't mind if I fall asleep listening as I've read these stories many times anyway.

I always have water with me wherever I am, reading or not, but if I'm reading in an appropriate place ( see P) then a white wine spritzer is nice.

Any format is OK by me, it depends what I could get within my budget. But I love old paperbacks and kind of collect them seperately to my reading habit. I recently read an ebook of A Confederacy of Dunces for a book club, and then bought a (cheap) physical copy because I enjoyed it so much I wanted to be able to see it on my shelf! I may never read the physical copy.

I'm not one for having crushes on fictional characters and didn't really date in high school. Reading other people's answers to this question though, I have to say if I'd been a pupil at Hogwarts I'd have had a crush on Neville Longbottom.
My favourite 'male lead' is probably Henry Tilney in Northanger Abbey ( I like a sense of humour)

The Hunger Games My daughter suggested it (see also I below) and I agreed to read it to please her. This was before the films came out. Not perfect but so much better than I expected.

H - Hidden gem

The Girls Lori Lansens. I'm not even sure how I discovered this book - it must have been on a list of books set in Canada I found somewhere for my Around the world challenge. It's not that 'hidden' I suppose ( it has 18,000 ratings on GR) but it's not a book I've seen on any other lists.
Loved it.

There are so many. one I've already mentioned is when my daughter recommeded The Hunger Games to me. We could have our first 'adult' book discussion about something she introduced to me, not the other way round.
On similar lines, when I discovered the books of Fay Weldon for myself in my mid teens. The first time I had read a book that hadn't been introduced to me by someone else. I think the first one I read was Puffball

J - Just finished

The Shining My first time of reading as I'd always been scared to read Stephen King. I read 11/22/63 earlier in the year for the challenge, so I thought I'd give it a go as it was sitting on my daughters shelf. I will be reading more, I just wish they weren't so long!

I would have said I would try most things, but then I read other people's responses to this question! Many of the types listed I haven't even heard of, and wouldn't want to read. I think life is too short to read badly written books, but obviously 'badly written' is a subjective view. I think also there are certain books that are purposely written in a 'difficult' style for effect and I can't always be bothered with those ( A Clockwork Orange is one I tried to read recently but abandoned)
If I see 'Sci Fi', 'Fantasy' or 'Romance' as a challenge prompt I groan , but many of my favourite books fall into those catergories.
I'm definitely agree with the person who commented above that they wouldn't read an abridged audio book. I don't understand why they are even a thing!

According to Goodreads
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Short Stories - my copy has 986 pages. But I read them over a period of months (years?) around other things so I don't really count that. Next listed is The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers at 939 pages

I have to admit I didn't really know what a book hangover was, but I guessed (almost) correctly! I'm not sure about the 'one or two weeks' part, because I read a lot so I move on quite quickly. Anyone who is familiar with the TV show 'Friends' may remember that Joey and Rachel put emotionally difficult books in his Freezer ( The Shining and Little Women for them) I have a goodreads shelf for books I would put in Joeys freezer so a recent addition is A Monster Calls. I rarely cry reading but this one had me sobbing! I have a permanent book hangover from To Kill a Mockingbird which I have never got over reading ( but more about that later too...)

This is a bit embarrassing - we have an area at the top of our stairs we call 'the library' ! It's basically one bookcase but it's wall to wall (and ceiling) book shelves. Otherwise it would have been a wasted space ;-)
I also have a bookcase in my bedroom for my 84 Agatha Christie books, another in the kitchen for my cook books ( I don't list them on Goodreads because they are books to dip into, but I probably have more than 50), my daughter has a bookcase in her room that is mostly favourites from her childhood, plus we have another in our dining room full of her reference/non fiction/study books. Plus boxes in our attic and piles in the corner of our bedrooms. I actual donated some books to a Charity shop recently, or it would be even worse!

I do reread a few favourites but multiple readings :
Fiction To Kill a Mockingbird ( Many times, a huge influence on me)
Non Fiction The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Probably at least 5 times, I'm fascinated by the Tudors in general, the story of Henry's attempt to secure his succession is stranger than any fiction)

Anywhere quiet, I'm not good at concentrating if people are talking. Usually in bed or outside on a nice day. If I'm travelling on public transport I listen to audio books on head phones.

I'm so bad at remembering quotes, so I had to look these up to be sure they were right.
I love Oscar Wilde " Be yourself: everyone else is already taken". But I do t think that is from a book.
Winnie-the-Pooh is a constant source of inspiration and I could list everything Terry Pratchett ever wrote. This is one of my favourite inspirational ones from TP
" ...a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done." Equal Rites

R - Reading regret

Regret is a strong word, but I do wish I was better at Libraries. I do use our library all the time, I go there and read the first chapters of books that I later buy. But I had to stop actually borrowing books because I was always late returning them, it got really embarrassing (and expensive). I realised that I like to keep books after I've read them, even if I probably won't read them again, so now I just buy books as cheaply as I can instead. I am going to try borrowing again soon though.

I'm not that into series', but I set myself a challenge to read all the Bond Books, and all the works of Agatha Christie, so I could count that here I suppose. I'm in no hurry to finish though, I am only aiming to read one of each a month ( so the Christie books will take me 7 years!)

Selection from my 'favourites' shelf
To Kill a Mockingbird
Watership Down
Night Watch

Terry Pratchett, Hercule Poirot, Neville Longbottom.

I don't really look out for new releases, I used to look forward to a new Terry Pratchett but sadly there won't be any more of those.

W - Worst bookish habit

Apart from not returning Library books? Loosing bookmarks annoys me - I used to turn down corners of books instead but some of my books are quite old and I felt bad for doing it to any book. I have discover magnetic book marks which help a bit, but I still loose them. I think they hide the same place as all the odd socks.
And spending too much time on goodreads reading about books, making lists etc rather than actually reading!

27th book in the pile of books in my bedroom that I've read this year: The Wasp Factory

Still in the post: Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being ( a gift for my daughter)
E book : A Tangled Mercy ( free - no idea when I will read and can't remember what it's about!)
Used paperback : Tales of the South Pacific ( for my Around the world challenge)
Audible : What Happened ( I like to listen to a memoir/biography, preferably read by the author - I plan to listen to this next month)

Z- Zzz-snatcher (last book that kept you up way too late)

I used to do this all the time but i do t really now as I've plenty of time to read during the day. Ironically when I'm on holiday I'm too busy to read in the day so that's probably the last time I read too late!
But I think the question means 'the last book you really couldn't put down and carried on reading when you *should* have been doing something else. Which would be The Woman in Cabin 10. It wasn't a brilliant book, but I wanted to find out what really happened to that woman in cabin 10, and why. Also (of course) The Shining - I read this more quickly than I've read books twice the length. And I already knew the end!

Thanks for reading if you've got this far, I enjoyed the challenge!

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
It was fun to look back at my book list to figure out that it was Lurlene McDaniel, my favorite author as a teenager. I've read 29 of her books.

B - Best sequel ever
The Return of the King is one of the most powerful books I've ever read in that it totally sucked me into that world. Most books don't do that to me.

C - Currently reading
Bird Box

I don't normally eat or drink while reading.

In theory, I much prefer physical books. But in actuality, it has to be my ereader, and really, it's almost always for audiobooks.

I loved broody vampires in books (Amelia Atwater-Rhodes & L.J. Smith) when I was a teenager, but in actuality, I was way too shy to date anyone in high school. Maybe Gilbert Blythe?

The Hate U Give - At first I wasn't really interested in reading it, but it ended up being one of my favorite books this year.

H - Hidden gem
All the King's Men - Not hidden since it's a classic, but it doesn't seem to be often read.

When I realized that I actually love literature & wanted to major in it in college.

J - Just finished
The Pit and the Pendulum - Getting my creepy reads in as we get close to Halloween.

Cozy mysteries, erotica, harlequin romance, super hardcore science fiction

Holy Bible: King James Version & Les Misérables

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Because what is there to really read after that?

Two, but neither are strictly full of books.

Hawksong was one of my favorites as a teenager, and I could read and reread it. I just reread it again this year.

My bed, but really I listen to audiobooks & I prefer to listen to them as often as I can.

R - Reading regret
Not taking AP literature in high school because I thought it wasn't worth it. And thinking I was too cool for school to read the novels assigned in my middle & high school classes.

Divergent. I have needed to read Allegiant for years.

Absalom, Absalom!, The Great Gatsby, The Crucible

Harry Potter - I'm late to the party, but making up for it.

I don't really follow up & coming releases, but I do try to read all the releases by Kasie West & Katie Cotugno

W - Worst bookish habit
Making myself finish books I've started that I have no interest in.

Since I can't look at my actual bookshelf, on my TBR it's The Passion of Artemisia.

I buy books so infrequently that I can't even think what it would be.

On Saturday, I stayed up until 2:42 am to finish Final Girls.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2047 comments Fun to read everyone's lists and I've added some to my TBR!

Martha Grimes - I've read 23 of her Richard Jury mystery stories.

B - Best sequel ever
I loved reading the last Harry Potter book, mainly because I couldn't believe how things were left at the end of book 6.

C - Currently reading
The Historian in the living room (too heavy to hold up in bed!)
Ten Great Mysteries by Edgar Allan Poe (nice, small paperback for bed)
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate on audio for Book Club
The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat on Kindle App on iPad
Up the Creek by my friend, Ken Blomberg

Tea and/or water.

Physical book. E-books are so convenient for trips and you can get some really good deals, so I do read quite a few.

I don't know...

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

H - Hidden gem
Any book by the author Barbara Pym, who wrote very low-key, funny novels about British village life.

Going to my hometown library. I just loved it as a kid.

J - Just finished
A Gentleman in Moscow on audio. The Count is an excellent character and I even learned more about the Soviet Union.

Action thrillers, erotica.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell at 1,006 pages.

I don't get book hangovers now that I do book challenges. I just go on to one of the next books on my list.

One in my home office. In the whole house - nine.

Jane Eyre - I read this every 4 or 5 years.

Recliner.

R - Reading regret
Not being able to read faster!

The Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. I've read 4 of them so far.

Excellent Women, Gone with the Wind, The Distant Hours

Barbara Pym books

Anything by Kate Morton

W - Worst bookish habit
Checking out a pile of books from the library and only reading maybe one of them.

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Nora Webster by Colm Toibin - nice hardcover from a used bookstore

The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin I just had to find out what happened.

message 26: by Joan (last edited Oct 28, 2017 02:17PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1400 comments A - Author you've read the most books from
John Grisham per my count on Goodreads but I don't have all the books I've read on here. There could be more for Dean Koontz
B - Best sequel ever
Catching Fire I really liked this series.

C - Currently reading
In a Dark, Dark Wood

coffee

I like my ipad to read in bed because I read with the lights out and I don't have to turn them off when I'm done reading. With a physical book I wake up in the middle of the night and my light will still be on. But I read both. I've been reading mostly physical books lately. I usually ask for them for gifts since I'm so picky with presents. This way I can keep a list of what I want and when I'm asked I just give people a couple off of the list.

Definitely Edward from Twilight.

Life of Pi - not my normal book but glad I read it.

H - Hidden gem
Fates and Furies - you have to stick with it

Probably my sister reading to me or me reading to my kids.

J - Just finished
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - finally reading the Potter books.

Not into chick lit but will consider it if it has a really good review. I'm not a cozy mystery reader either but I find I skip around genres so never say never.

Winter according to goodreads which I read this year. It just edged out Breaking Dawn. Next year I plan to tackle Anna Karenina

The Divergent series and also The Handmaid's Tale. Divergent because I fell in love with Four. The Handmaid's Tale was hard to get off my mind because it seemed too possible.

3 and not enough - I have one of them with double rows of books.

I'm not generally a re-reader. I will pick up some again and read a small portion to remember what happened in it but I don't re-read them. I mostly do this after reading a book and then seeing the movie.

I like to read outside. The beach is an awesome place to read but if I'm in my house then on the couch in my office with my coffee next to me. A beachhouse or lakehouse on vacation is the most serene reading for me.

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

R - Reading regret
Not reading enough classics when I was younger. I'm trying to catch up a bit now.

Harry Potter and also the Mortal Instruments

Pride and Prejudice, A Walk to Remember, The Handmaid's Tale

Twilight and Divergent

None really - there are so many already out to read

W - Worst bookish habit
Looking at the last page - although I've pretty much broken myself of this habit.

At First Sight

The War of the Worlds and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydefrom a second hand bookstore

I think it was It Ends with Us or Dark Matter