Veronica Mars Book Club discussion

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line > TTDTL Chapter 27

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neptune Rising (new)

Neptune Rising | 587 comments Mod
Plot Point: Veronica pays Cliff a visit, bribing him with lasagna.

Cliff: How cheap do you think I am?
Don't answer that.

message 2: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Cliff reveals that Murphy had Hayley's hair in his car.

I can almost see Veronica drooling over this shocking piece of info!

message 3: by Neptune Rising (new)

Cliff: It scares me to see you thinking that hard.

**Put down book. Fall off chair laughing.**

message 4: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments this was a fun carefree interaction brought me back to the series a lot

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Gotta love Clif; they have his character down perfectly

message 6: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments "Cases where stupid people do stupid things are more my forte"

At least Cliff knows what his strengths are

message 7: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Em wrote: ""Cases where stupid people do stupid things are more my forte"

At least Cliff knows what his strengths are"

that was hilarious

message 8: by Neptune Rising (new)

And he never pretends otherwise!

Em wrote: ""Cases where stupid people do stupid things are more my forte"

At least Cliff knows what his strengths are"

message 9: by Neptune Rising (new)

Cliff: Look, kids, I'm no fancy Columbia- educated profiler, but I'v worked with the
ethically challenged" for a long time.

The "ethically challenged". I am so adding that to my regular vocabulary.

message 10: by Em (last edited Apr 27, 2014 06:37PM) (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments I really like how Cliff (like Logan) know how to kind of play Veronica so they can get something out of Veronica's favor requests. I thought it was very well played how he had her do the filing. Very smooth Cliff, very smooth.

message 11: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Was anyone else surprised that Veronica actually cleaned the office??? How clever of Cliff to get something out of the deal!

message 12: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Em wrote: "I really like how Cliff (like Logan) know how to kind of play Veronica so they can get something out of Veronica's favor requests. I thought it was very well played how he had her do the filing. ..."

haha true

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess (backofcerealbox) | 5 comments It took me until Veronica started looking into the file to figure out what Cliff had done. Good thing I'm not a PI!

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Yeah, Cliff is smart in his own unique way haha

message 15: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Was anyone else surprised that Veronica actually cleaned the office??? How clever of Cliff to get s..."

i was surprised he thought of that

message 16: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Was anyone else surprised that Veronica actually cleaned the office??? How clever of Cliff to get s..."

It reminded me of the first conversation we saw between them, "If your father has time..."

message 17: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: William Murphy's story is that he agreed to take Hayley to Bakersfield and she ran from his car at a truck stop. He sold the necklace to try to recoup his gas costs from the drive.

message 18: by Neptune Rising (new)

Discussion Question: What do you think of Murphy's story? Too weird to be made up? Too weird to be the truth?

message 19: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Yes! I bet she's an excellent organizer.

message 20: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Too weird to be made up

message 21: by Neptune Rising (new)

I adore that exchange between Cliff and Veronica in the pilot. They were able to explain so much about Keith, Veronica, and Mars Investigations in just those few seconds. Rob Thomas is a genius.

Em wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Was anyone else surprised that Veronica actually cleaned the office??? How clever o..."

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Yeah, it's so crazy that I feel there has to be at least some truth to it

message 23: by Em (last edited Apr 27, 2014 06:42PM) (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: William Murphy's story is that he agreed to take Hayley to Bakersfield and she ran from his car at a truck stop. He sold the necklace to try to recoup his gas costs from the drive."

It seemed like a much more plausible story considering what we know of William Murphy than him being the G - Cousins' hitman.

message 24: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: What do you think of Murphy's story? Too weird to be made up? Too weird to be the truth?"
Too weird to be made up. Especially since he saved Veronica from the cousins.

message 25: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "I adore that exchange between Cliff and Veronica in the pilot. They were able to explain so much about Keith, Veronica, and Mars Investigations in just those few seconds. Rob Thomas is a genius.
..."

exactly

message 26: by Neptune Rising (new)

True! He gained major points in my book for doing that!

Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: What do you think of Murphy's story? Too weird to be made up? Too weird to be the truth?"
Too weird to be made up. Especially since he saved Veronica from th..."

message 27: by Neptune Rising (new)

The last chapter for today, Chapter 28 is now posted =)

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber (likeadeadstar) Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

More like, complete echo of the time when Van Clemmons has her organize the student files so she gets to "accidentally" see her mother's permanent record. Seemed like a fitting throwback to me.

message 29: by Neptune Rising (new)

I had not thought of this! Poor Veronica is always cleaning up! LoVe this observation Amber!

Amber wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file.

Was anyone else surprised that Veronica actually cleaned the office??? How clever o..."

message 30: by Em (last edited May 01, 2014 03:07AM) (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Amber wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Cliff leaves Veronica to clean his office, giving Veronica access to Murphy's file...

More like, complete echo of the time when Van Clemmons has her organize the student files so she gets to "accidentally" see her mother's permanent record.

I hadn't thought of that. Good catch!