Veronica Mars Book Club discussion

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line > TTDTL Chapter 25

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Neptune Rising (new)

Neptune Rising | 587 comments Mod
Plot Point: Veronica visits the Scott family, bringing her mother a birthday cake.

message 2: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments I was so uncomfortable and feeling really bad for V in this moment, it was awkward and she was really vulnerable

message 3: by Neptune Rising (new)

Who had major mixed feelings that Veronica remembered that her mom's favorite birthday cake was German chocolate?

It seems like a part of her is still eager to please her mom, and the rest is adamant that she doesn't need her...

message 4: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Tanner is relaxing in the hot tub. Really? When his daughter is missing?

really?

REALLY?????

message 5: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) i still don't understand why she took that cake over. i mean, he mom had been so absent from her life for years... i guess maybe i don't understand this because it is not something that i would ever do.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments I know I felt bad; it almost seems like Lianne doesn't want to try to have a mother-daughter relationship with her again

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Margarita wrote: "I was so uncomfortable and feeling really bad for V in this moment, it was awkward and she was really vulnerable"
Yes! And I can't believe her husband forgot her birthday. He didn't even seem sorry. Said he wasn't good with birthdays. Put a reminder on your phone, jerk.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Tanner is relaxing in the hot tub. Really? When his daughter is missing?

really?

REALLY?????"

Um. Yeah. Asshat.

message 9: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments She is like a little girl when it comes to her mom, letting her go was super hard to do and she has a hole in her heart I feel

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Neptune wrote: "Who had major mixed feelings that Veronica remembered that her mom's favorite birthday cake was German chocolate?

It seems like a part of her is still eager to please her mom, and the rest is adam..."

This whole chain of events was hard to read. I felt bad for V and so proud of her at the same time, tho!

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Tanner is relaxing in the hot tub. Really? When his daughter is missing?

really?

REALLY?????"

Right! Seriously? Need a favorite button.

message 12: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments He is a total asshole on so many levels I didn't like him one bit

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Tanner is relaxing in the hot tub. Really? When his daughter is missing?

really?

REALLY?????"

Plus who forgets their wife's birthday. I mean. REALLY. Wtf

message 14: by Neptune Rising (new)

Very well put!

Margarita wrote: "She is like a little girl when it comes to her mom, letting her go was super hard to do and she has a hole in her heart I feel"

message 15: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Lianne tells Hunter that Veronica is his half sister.

So many feelings!!

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Hannah wrote: "I know I felt bad; it almost seems like Lianne doesn't want to try to have a mother-daughter relationship with her again"
Me too! Feel so bad for Veronica during every part of the book with Lianne in it.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Christy wrote: "Margarita wrote: "I was so uncomfortable and feeling really bad for V in this moment, it was awkward and she was really vulnerable"
Yes! And I can't believe her husband forgot her birthday. He didn..."

YES. I agree. I really agree. No good excuse for forgetting.

message 18: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Yeah, I found it super sketch and was super surprised that Veronica didn't seem more disturbed/suspicious about it.

Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Tanner is relaxing in the hot tub. Really? When his daughter is missing?

really?

REALLY?????"

message 19: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Emily wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Who had major mixed feelings that Veronica remembered that her mom's favorite birthday cake was German chocolate?

It seems like a part of her is still eager to please her mom, and ...

This whole chain of events was hard to read. I felt bad for V and so proud of her at the same time, tho!"

I definitely felt proud of Veronica in this moment and I think showed a lot of growth for her in some ways.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments Yeah what father relaxes in a hot tub while their daughter's missing; some father he is

message 21: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments I felt really bad for Hunter! Poor boy so many things to have to think about at such young age

message 22: by Neptune Rising (new)

Love Veronica's reaction to Tanner excuse for forgetting Lianne's birthday:
"Veronica wasn't sure what to say. She'd never had that problem. Neither she nor her dad had never forgotten a birthday. They took any excuse to appreciate each other.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Margarita wrote: "I felt really bad for Hunter! Poor boy so many things to have to think about at such young age"

Yes..... Lots to sort through and figure out. And he seems sweet....

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments I know; it's not his fault his family is messed up

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily Graham | 12 comments Neptune wrote: "Love Veronica's reaction to Tanner excuse for forgetting Lianne's birthday:
"Veronica wasn't sure what to say. She'd never had that problem. Neither she nor her dad had never forgotten a birthda..."

Yeah. I liked that too. Honestly kinda reminded me of myself/my family. That's how we treat each other too.

message 26: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Love Veronica's reaction to Tanner excuse for forgetting Lianne's birthday:
"Veronica wasn't sure what to say. She'd never had that problem. Neither she nor her dad had never forgotten a birthda..."

This made me dislike Lianne and Tanner even more. Loved how Veronica handled it.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments Did anyone think that Hunter seemed too sweet? I know he's a little kid, but he's got two bad parents and a messed up sister.

message 28: by Neptune Rising (new)

Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith hadn't been able to."

What do you think of Tanner's explanation why?
"It's hard to look the people you love in the face when they've seen you fuck up everything you touch. Sometimes it's easier to rebuild your life if you're with someone who's been as low as you've been."

message 29: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Love Veronica's reaction to Tanner excuse for forgetting Lianne's birthday:

I thought that Lianne didn't deserve Keith and V and she really deserved this guy who forgot her birthday

message 30: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments I thought this chapter was interesting because we get to hear specific examples of how pervasive Lianne's drinking was when Veronica was younger. Sometimes the show made it seem that the drinking was a product of the stress of the Lily Kane case.

message 31: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith hadn't been abl..."
I think this is exactly the case. I find it very accurate and realistic. You can't love one person enough for the two of you

message 32: by Neptune Rising (new)

Plot Point: Mr. Jackson, the private security consultant hired by Tanner is interfere. He expresses concern that Veronica investigating the case will interfere with finding Aurora.

Veronica leaves, not want to interfere.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Sims | 4 comments The more I saw about Tanner, the less I liked him. And it always seemed weird to me that he was so huggy and affectionate with Veronica immediately.

message 34: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith hadn't been abl..."
Honestly, I thought it was an excuse. An excuse to do what you want and not do the right thing.

message 35: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Em wrote: "I thought this chapter was interesting because we get to hear specific examples of how pervasive Lianne's drinking was when Veronica was younger. Sometimes the show made it seem that the drinking w..."
yes I liked that too

message 36: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Plot Point: Mr. Jackson, the private security consultant hired by Tanner is interfere. He expresses concern that Veronica investigating the case will interfere with finding Aurora.

Veronica leav..."

I didn't like that she left, and she wouldn't leave if it wasn't for Lianne, her curiosity would make her stay

message 37: by Neptune Rising (new)

Good point! Did Lianne and Tanner just do a really good job of shielding Hunter from their short comings? Or is he all just taking it in, and his personality will be deeply effected later?

Susan wrote: "Did anyone think that Hunter seemed too sweet? I know he's a little kid, but he's got two bad parents and a messed up sister."

message 38: by Mia (new)

Mia (aylaeh) Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith hadn't been abl..."

in many ways this may be true. this is someone who knows where you have been and what you are going through. you have this in common. that being said, this person also knows that they have done the same to others in their past too.

message 39: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Neptune wrote: "Good point! Did Lianne and Tanner just do a really good job of shielding Hunter from their short comings? Or is he all just taking it in, and his personality will be deeply effected later?

Susan..."

I see kids from broken homes that do that, it's a coping mechanism I guess

message 40: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith..."

I kind of get it. Lianne probably in the back of her mind didn't think she deserved to have people so good like Veronica and Keith in her life after she hurt them. Probably easier just starting from scratch.

message 41: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her m..."

exactly

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 75 comments On one hand I can understand why they shielded him from the addiction issues but there was no reason for him not to know about Veronica

message 43: by Neptune Rising (new)

As much as I hated Tanner, I agree and liked this explanation.

Mia wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her mother when Keith..."

message 44: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Vandorou | 56 comments Hannah wrote: "On one hand I can understand why they shielded him from the addiction issues but there was no reason for him not to know about Veronica"

she should have reached out to V and tell him about her. She couldn't just tell him without have him meet her

message 45: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Neptune wrote: "Good point! Did Lianne and Tanner just do a really good job of shielding Hunter from their short comings? Or is he all just taking it in, and his personality will be deeply effected later?

Susan wrote: "Did anyone think that Hunter seemed too sweet? I know he's a little kid, but he's got two bad parents and a messed up sister."

Is Lianne really a bad mother to Hunter? From what we've seen, Lianne seems like a very different mother to Hunter than she was to Veronica. Much more of a traditional mother. We know she was a bad mother to Veronica, but it does seem like she has tried to change.

message 46: by Neptune Rising (new)

Agreed. I feel like Lianne jus didn't want to explain to her son that she was a bad mother to Veronica. She was shielding herself from her shame. It was a selfish move.

Hannah wrote: "On one hand I can understand why they shielded him from the addiction issues but there was no reason for him not to know about Veronica"

message 47: by Neptune Rising (new)

Chapter 26 discussion is posted =)

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy | 98 comments Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had kept her m..."
Easier? Certainly. But also cowardly. And isn't one of the steps of AA to apologize to people you hurt? Why didn't she? At least to Veronica if not Keith.

message 49: by Em (new)

Em (emtifahp) | 37 comments Margarita wrote: "Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had..."

Maybe it's the same reason why Logan makes more sense with Veronica than Piz does. Piz just doesn't get the dark side of Veronica like Logan does.

message 50: by Neptune Rising (new)

This is an AMAZING point! Where are Veronica and Keith's apologies??? Doesn't this mean she hasn't completed the 12 steps? Also, paying Veronica back for her Kane scholarship would be a good start!

Christy wrote: "Em wrote: "Christy wrote: "Neptune wrote: "Discussion Question: "Here Lianne was, with someone new. And she knew it wasn't fair - she barely knew Tanner- but she couldn't figure out how Tanner had..."

« previous 1