What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Kill the Possum
This topic is about Kill the Possum
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA, boy likes girl who is being abused by father. boy tries to shoot father to defend girl but ends up being shot himself [s]

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments It was a young adult book, about a teenage boy and girl who are friends. The boy likes the girl. The girl and her mother are being abused by the father, but he does it very discreetly so that not many people know, but the girl confides in the boy. He is angered by this, obviously. The climax is when the boy goes to the girl's house one night, when only the father is home, he sneaks in the roof I think. The boy is about to shoot the father who is asleep at the time, using the father's gun, but at the last minute, realising he doesn't have the stomach to do it. The father wakes up and after a brawl between the two guys, the father shoots the boy. The girl got home just to hear the gunshot. In the epilogue, the father is then imprisoned, so the boy helped the girl he loved after all.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Apr 27, 2014 05:24PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
Nicole, moved this to Unsolved for you since that's where it belongs.

What year was this published, or what year did you read it?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Nicole, you've entered this twice--I've removed the second posting and left this one.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments I read it 2009-2010.
It is my guess that is was published between 1990-2005. If that helps

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I feel like I know this one. Was there a scene where he armycrawls on his stomach on the ground?

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments Yes Kelly, I do believe there was!
Any further leads/memories?

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I think he was leaving a party, they were definitely younger (maybe 11-13 range?). I don't recall the title/author/cover unfortunately. I think he crawled into either the cellar or the front room and hid there. Sorry that I can't remember more right now, but I will definitely look around. I think it was an older book, published in the 90s, because I read it in maybe 2009 and it didn't strike me as new-looking or modern.
Hope this helps!

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly If I owned the book, I doubt I still have it. If it was in the back of a classroom, I don't think I can get a hold of it.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Try this list out for cover recognition, I'm looking right now! https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments I am sure we are definitely talking about the same book which gives me hope. I'll check out the list, thanks so much.

message 11: by She (new)

She Reads | 110 comments Could it possibly be "The Watcher" by James Howe? Similar a little bit. It was a pretty good book.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Watcher-Jam...

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Well, it's by James Howe (a teacher's favorite because he wrote the Bunnicula series for the 8-10 crowd) so it fits that he would be the author, but I don't think it was "The Watcher" from the blurb and reviews. I'm pretty sure it was one story, not multiple intertwined, but Nicole can correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks so much for helping, though, She!

message 13: by She (new)

She Reads | 110 comments Maybe the book you are looking for is on this list?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Didn't see it, but Nicole, you should probably double check in case I missed something.
*I believe the book was 150-180 pages long (not too big, but definitely a middle-school-aged story.)
*I think they met at school and were acquaintances, then friends.
*They were too young to drive.
*The father may have had a pickup truck.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments It isn't The Watcher... nor is it on those lists, from what I could tell. Thanks anyway guys.
Kelly, those all fit with the story I am looking for. If you come across anything else, let me know. Thanks!

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments It's not The Watcher, thanks anyway She!
Kelly, all those things fit with the story I'm looking for, but I couldn't find it on those lists...
If you come across anything else, please let me know! :)

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I just spent an hour poring over pictures I convinced a friend to go back and take of the middle school bookshelf I thought the book had come from, researching every title, and still nothing. Either it was the wrong teacher, or the book is long gone.
I will continue to look online, but... :/

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments Wow Kelly thank you so much for the effort!
I have a remembered a bit more, just about how there was a specific night the dad visited the girl and her mother (the parents are separated), and the boy is not allowed to visit on that night.
But one day he does.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 8 comments Kill the Possum!! By James Moloney. I found it through my local library :)

message 20: by Diana (new)