Smashwords Authors discussion

General > Cover Size Confusion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duane (new)

Duane L. Martin (unseenthings) | 52 comments My Smashwords covers are 1400x2000. Could be a size ratio issue with yours. Try 1600x2200 maybe.

message 2: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) The only thing I can think would be your DPI is wrong.
It needs to be a minimum resolution of 300 DPI.

Mine was 1650 X 2550
DPI 300.
And it was accepted without any problem.
They also only accepted a JPG and would not accept PNG.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Good luck. I'm not saying that I hope it's the problem because then you may have to find a new cover, but at least if it is, you'll know once and for all.

message 4: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) | 29 comments Jake,
Your pixel rate of 1600x2400 seems ideal. I am taking a stab in the dark here, but just curious, what pixel per inch are you using. That can make a difference on inch figures on size. Try using 300 pixels per inch. Your overall inches should run close to 5x8 then. If your pixels per inch are low, say 70, your overall size by inches will be quite small. Again this is just a possibility; I could be just muddying the waters.
Elldee

message 5: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) | 29 comments Jake, sorry this is confusing. It is always tough to work in a medium that is unfamiliar. But if you have been changing pixel size, you should be able to locate the pixels per inch as well. Without knowing what program you are using to do this, I can't give you detailed suggestions. But go to the same window where you were able to change the pixel ratio. Further down should be the pixels per inch (or DPI G.G. mentioned). Check this number. If it is below 200, raise it to 300. At least you don't have to worry about the picture getting stretched funny. :) If you are using Photoshop, I can get very specific.
Elldee

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) if you right click your picture, in the menu that opens you should see PROPERTIES. Click it. Under the details tab you should see the DPI.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1400 comments That's the size I use for covers, and I've never had a problem.

message 8: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments It's worth noting that plenty of programs won't say 'DPI'. I think 'dots per inch' is more for printers, thus some programs will simply say 'resolution'. For example, in Photoshop I go to 'Image > Image size' and in the document size box is the resolution. It is usually pixel/inch but might be on pixel/cm (it's just a drop down option to change it).

message 9: by Ross (last edited Apr 28, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments If you're using photoshop, just do what I said, and then change the 96 to 300.

message 10: by Duane (new)

Duane L. Martin (unseenthings) | 52 comments Contact Smashwords support and see if they can help you with that. I've heard they're pretty responsive.

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) I would start over with a picture that is already the right size or near it ( bigger would be better) and with the right DPI. To be honest I didn't even know you coul actually change that. I thought it was the quality of the image. If your picture was too small to begin with, making it bigger destroyed it. Manually change the dpi won't or at least shouldn't make it less grainy.
Again I may be wrong.

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments The FAQ says 1600x2400. If you've made it 1650 it might be too big. It doesn't need to be that size. Mine are 1400x1867 and 72dpi. Is it definitely a jpg?

Is it online anywhere that we can see it?

message 13: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments So...no?

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Jake, be calm! :) I know the meatgrinder is frustrating - I also struggled with one cover where the JPG was corrupted, but it took me a few emails with support to understand what was wrong with it, redo the cover (putting the lettering on the artwork and re-save) and upload it.
If you want, send it to me - PM me with your email - and I'll see if I can adjust it. Don't give up! Did you have the same problem with KDP or any other retailer with that particular cover?