All Books. All the Time. discussion

Coming Together

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina T. | 126 comments Mod
What are your thoughts and ideas on helping more members get involved in discussions? No idea is bad, and all ideas are welcomed and wanted! :) Thank you for helping!

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Maybe if we start a fun challenge of some sort. Something to get everyone reading what's already on their shelves.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Sha, That is a great idea...I just need to get other members attentions... I'm working on it though :)

Do you have any challenges in mind?

message 4: by Christina (new)

I was thinking of what Sha mentioned and I saw a challenge that might work with everyone having different books. We can choose a month or two or three to complete the challenge. Everyone has to fulfill a list of things like: "read a book with a woman on the front cover," "read a book that has death in it," "read a book with romance," "read a book that...." - we can come up with anything, maybe a list of like 10 different things for 10 different books. Then I can create a new thread and everyone can post their books and corresponding item on list. We can talk about the books we are reading (good, bad, funny, etc).

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura I am sure everyone has a TBR pile up lol. What about a challenge to help members tackle that- could incorporate a team up aspect to it also through a buddy system is 2 members have the same book on their lists. That also creates a small group connection with the main group to help member get to know one another well.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Laura wrote: "I am sure everyone has a TBR pile up lol. What about a challenge to help members tackle that- could incorporate a team up aspect to it also through a buddy system is 2 members have the same book o..."

That sounds like a good plan - especially for us that might not be able to buy books right now :) This weekend I'll write up another group email and see if anyone is interested... Thanks Laura!

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura You're very welcome :)

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Great idea Laura! I have 130 unread books on my shelf so this would definitely be a fun way to get some reading done. :D

message 9: by Christina (new)

Are there any other ideas floating in your heads? I plan on including both Sha's idea, and Laura's in the group email and see if we get any responses. I'd be happy to include any other ideas :)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks Sha- The TBR lists always seem to get out of control- hate to admit how many I have lol--people who have common books though can keep each other encouraged when reading the same book at same time and we can all benefit from the motivation to work through the pile up :)

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Out of the 4 ideas, I think I will vote for number 4! I love all options but 4 is my favorite. I'm flexible. :)

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Zienty | 8 comments All of those ideas sound like fun. I guess if I had to choose, I would go with either #3 or #4.

message 13: by Christina (new)

I like all the ideas too, but I think #4 would be my best bet at this time (I don't feel I can dedicate as much time to group discussions on a single book right now, and #4 gives more time to finish)... However, with all that said, I am willing to attempt any of them...

I figure I'll give the group a few more days to Respond to my email....before discussing choices... :)

message 14: by Christina (new)

Oh, Hey, Everyone! The Poll date ended three days ago! I'm sorry I am just now getting around to it!!! So, with three of us voting, #4 came out in first place...

The third vote was for #3, and I figure, we could technically do #3 with #4 seeing as how it is for one book...

Ok, so for #4...We need to decide: 1. how many books do we want to read? 2. How long do we want to give ourselves to read them? 3. what shall be on the list (maybe everyone can pitch in a few ideas??? :D) and 5. when shall we start our first "group" read?!?! :D

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle MC My thoughts:

2 books per month
2 weeks each books
Ideas:
A. Choose 2 books whose authors name (first, middle or last begins with the letter J - since it's June)
B. Using June as the 6th month, choose a book published from 2006.
C. Choose a book on your shelf with a Goodreads rating of 4.0 or higher
Start day- Friday(since all selections should be shelved already)

message 16: by Christina (new)

Those are great ideas, Sha! How many books do you think would be good to start with? Should we start small to see if we like it? or just go for it!? hehe...

We could do 6 books (6 criteria) - 3 months... (I think that would be a good start for small)... OR we could do like 8 or 10 books or even 12......

What does everything think?

message 17: by Christina (new)

Does anyone else have any ideas or thoughts on this group read/challenge?

message 18: by Christina (new)

I guess no one else has any ideas... Is anyone else even interested in this group read?

message 19: by Christina (new)

Let's try and get some ideas going for this group so that we can begin getting to know each other and have some fun! Any and all ideas are welcome! Please join us in getting this group going!

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I think it's a great idea to start on Monday! I have so many books on my shelf (and on Kindle). Maybe we can do 2 books this month to get everyone going.

message 21: by Christina (new)

That is an interesting idea, Sha. I didn't think to set a number of books to read each month...In my head I was thinking more like: you have three months to fulfill as many objectives as you can... GO!!!! hahah... Of course I was thinking 4ish books a month so like 12 total objectives (maybe a few more just in case a couple can't be found)...

But should we set a number of books per month?

message 22: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I don't know. I think maybe to gauge participation after this first month and then change it up at the end of the month. I'm game either way! :D

message 23: by Christina (new)

Hey Everyone!

Ok, so I have already brought up the topic of a Group Read and it seems like members are for it. So Let's start discussing what we wanna do!

There are a couple options for us:

1. We could all come up with ONE book and then we take a poll to decide which one we want to read together.

or

2. We could do a mini-challenge where we all choose a book of our own choosing but have to do something challenging with it (IE: scavenger hunt where you find as many things on a specific list as possible in your book). ***Ideas on mini-challenges would be super appreciated***

Or

3. one of you come up with a fantastic idea :D

So I am thinking we will start september 1st seeing as how I was a little slow on this (sorry!). So please give us ideas, or your input on what you would prefer to do and we'll go with the most "liked" idea and start from there!

message 24: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I like the idea of reading a book together but It's a little more difficult choosing a book with only a few participants...unless, we choose a theme first. We could assign themes per month i.e. dragon month; murder month; classic month; etc. then we all select a book within the theme and vote. (?) Not sure how you guys would feel about that idea...I'm open to other ideas. :)

message 25: by Christina (new)

Thanks Sha! That is a good idea!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 19 comments I think option two sounds interesting, the scavenger hunt!

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Zienty | 8 comments Would anyone be interested in doing a group read of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt?

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I think I have that on my to-read list. I think that's a good option Joanne. :)

message 29: by Christina (new)

How would everyone feel if we did TWO group reads in the month of September? It seems like most of us read at least two books in a month.

We could read The Goldfinch together,

AND

We could do the scavenger hunt with another book (this book would be completely up to the reader)

Does that sound good for everyone?

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Fine by me :)

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina | 19 comments Sounds like a good idea:)

message 32: by Christina (new)

Tina pointed out that the Challenge Read is THROUGH September! *smacks forehead*... so we still have a month to go to read as many challenges as we can!!!

Does everyone want to read The Goldfinch in september still? If so I can create the discussion... Let me know!

message 33: by Tina (new)

Tina | 19 comments I'm not interested in Reading The Goldfinch, but I was planning to join the scavenger hunt:)

message 34: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Maybe we can vote on a book. We can have 3 suggestions and vote on one to start in Oct.

message 35: by Tina (new)

Tina | 19 comments Works for me:)

message 36: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Great- do you have a book in mind you'd like the group to vote on?

message 37: by Christina (new)

I can help set up the Scavenger hunt! I already have some items listed and will try to come up with more. If anyone can come help come up with items let me know! :)

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina | 19 comments I don't know if everyone has already read Gone girl, otherwise that's my suggestion. I wanna read it before I see the movie:)

message 39: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I read it. It's a crazy book! You definitely gotta read it! Lol

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle MC I posted a poll so all of you should have received it. It is also on the groups home page so let's vote on our book for October!

message 41: by Christina (new)

I won't be able to join you guys on the group read, but I'll create the scavenger hunt hopefully by the end of this week so that you guys can also do that. It seems like most of us read more than one book a month. I might be able to do the scavenger hunt - see how much time I have here in a couple weeks.

I hope you all enjoy the Group Read! And thanks, Sha for getting it all together! You are awesome!

message 42: by Christina (new)

Hey! I am just reminding everyone that there is a poll awaiting your vote for OCTOBER'S group read! Please go and vote so that we can start the group read!

message 43: by Christina (new)

In case you didn't get the mass msg...

THE SCAVENGER HUNT CHALLENGE HAS BEEN CREATED! Copy your list to a new comment in the Scavenger Hunt Challenge thread and begin checking off random items as you read a book!

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle MC Ok folks- well, as far as the "group read" is concerned, sadly, only 2 people voted on a book. This hardly qualifies as a group read. lol :(
So, I think for now, we will just focus on the scavenger hunt and hopefully get some more members to join so we have a bit more participation. :)