Gabriel (Secrets and Sins #1)
This topic is about Gabriel
Book of the Month Archive > May 2014 BOM- Secrets and Sins, Book 1

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Here's the goodreads description

Twenty years ago, Leah Bannon’s beloved Uncle Richard vanished without a trace. Leah, now a private investigator, begins to suspect it was murder. When she reopens the cold case, Gabriel Devlin—-the man she loves but can never have—-inexplicably stands in her way.

Only four people know the truth about Richard’s mysterious disappearance—-Gabriel and three childhood friends...who have all sworn to take that secret to the grave. But a hidden enemy wants those shocking secrets brought to light...even if he has to kill to make it happen. After experiencing an unimaginable loss two years ago, Gabriel refuses to put himself through the pain of loving someone who could be gone in an instant. But as he thwarts Leah’s investigation at every turn—-both to keep his friends’ pact, and to keep her safe from danger—-the sexy PI makes it impossible for him to protect his secrets. Or his heart...

message 2: by LaShawn (new)

LaShawn Vasser (lashawnvasser) | 22 comments Excited about reading this book and joining in on this discussion. Just purchased mine!

Fiza Gabriel is a great read, hope you all enjoy it :)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments I just started this one. Shocking opening.

message 5: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I was going to start last night, but fell asleep. Starting now.

message 6: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments I plan to start this weekend:) I hope.

Angela Davis (Amzidavis) | 3 comments blew my mind, never saw it coming - intrigue and love - great book - off to read the rest of the series

message 8: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela wrote: "blew my mind, never saw it coming - intrigue and love - great book - off to read the rest of the series"

That's good to know Angela! I'm already rooting for Gabriel to be happy. I've only read the first chapter, and I'm impressed.

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments That big twist concerning (view spoiler) was so incredibly done. I love an author who can surprise you so completely but when you go back and look, many clues were there. I'm re-reading it now and enjoying it just a much!

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea wrote: "That big twist concerning [spoilers removed] was so incredibly done. I love an author who can surprise you so completely but when you go back and look, many clues were there. I'm re-reading it now ..."

I finished it. I gave it 3 stars. For the most part, I liked Leah. There were a few "seriously?!" moments though. Gabriel- I just could stop feeling sad for him. For me, I found the mystery to be a little on the predictable side. I've been doing that with a lot of the mysteries lately. I'd really like to be stumped throughout the story and surprised at the end. I'd definitely read another book by this author.

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments I was being so careful with spoilers and then the author does it herself! I couldn't believe my eyes. I started Secrets and Sins: Malachim and within the first few pages the author recaps the entire first book! If someone picked this one up first, they'd have absolutely NO reason to go back and buy it. Why do authors do that?? I really want to write her.

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Michelle, maybe because you've been reading so many...? I understand you'd be able to pick up those little clues better than most readers but I didn't think it was that obvious, especially about (view spoiler).

message 13: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea wrote: "Michelle, maybe because you've been reading so many...? I understand you'd be able to pick up those little clues better than most readers but I didn't think it was that obvious, especially about [s..."

I think you're right Andrea. Lately, every time I pick up a mystery, I start guessing and thinking of 1000 ways the story could turn out. Ugh! It's become a bad habit now. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea wrote: "I was being so careful with spoilers and then the author does it herself! I couldn't believe my eyes. I started Secrets and Sins: Malachim and within the first few pages the author..."

I hate it when that happens. I hate spoilers so much that I avoid reading a lot of reviews.

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments I must confess to being an end of the book reader. I'll read maybe the first 1/4, skip to the last chapter to see how it turns out and then go on and continue from the middle. lol-- I know, crazy. But for that reason, I don't mind spoilers in reviews so much.

I still don't want the author doing it though.

message 16: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea wrote: "I must confess to being an end of the book reader. I'll read maybe the first 1/4, skip to the last chapter to see how it turns out and then go on and continue from the middle. lol-- I know, crazy. ..."

For shame, LOL! I think I'll read Malachim soon. How are you liking it.

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Equally intense opening, and I'm quickly coming to like Mal. This takes place a few weeks after the end of Gabriel's book and Mal is on the verge of losing his business and being disbarred. But of course, he'll have more problems than that before it's over. #wickedsnicker

message 18: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea wrote: "Equally intense opening, and I'm quickly coming to like Mal. This takes place a few weeks after the end of Gabriel's book and Mal is on the verge of losing his business and being disbarred. But of ..."

I read the synopsis. I sounds really good!

message 19: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 22 comments I tweeted the author about any Secrets and Sins books having an interracial couple but I haven't heard back. Is Gabriel or any of the other books IR?

message 20: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Georgie wrote: "I tweeted the author about any Secrets and Sins books having an interracial couple but I haven't heard back. Is Gabriel or any of the other books IR?"

If I understood correctly, in Gabriel the heroine is described as biracial- Asian and Caucasian. The hero is Caucasian.

message 21: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 22 comments Thanks, Michelle. I would love to read more IR suspense books with BW as the lead. Spoiled and picky, I know. :)

message 22: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Georgie wrote: "Thanks, Michelle. I would love to read more IR suspense books with BW as the lead. Spoiled and picky, I know. :)"

I don't think you're spoiled and picky at all. Believe me, I get it!

message 23: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbeecakes) | 9 comments As a young girl growing up all of the interracial books always featured ww/bm and now I also prefer bw as the lead. I like to see diversity in the books but having someone who looks like me as the lead I is even better!