Too Busy for Book Club Book Club discussion

The Husband's Secret
This topic is about The Husband's Secret
May Book - The Husband's Secret

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 81 comments Mod
Okay this was suggested the most of all possible books. IF everyone agrees we'll start this on May 1st? What are we thinking TBBCers?

message 2: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Great! Ready to read for May. lc

Darby | 9 comments Yes. Looking forward to it.

Molly Jo | 54 comments sounds good to me!!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (miamyfan) | 2 comments Looks good! I missed the April one but ready for May!

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer sweet just got this for my birthday!!

message 7: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Great

message 8: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea (leamichelle) | 8 comments Yes

Molly Jo | 54 comments Picked mine up today from the library and am starting it tonight. Looks good!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Woo hoo!!! Let's dig in!!!

Michele Carey | 1 comments I'm in--sorry I missed the last book!

message 12: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Finishing "The Goldfinch" but then I shall begin!

Evysmom | 19 comments Like it so far!

Clare Smith | 10 comments So far, so good!!

message 15: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Back in the late 500 pages of The Goldfinch, I groaned and almost gave up reading, so much teenaged angst plus. When I finished it today, I was so glad I had not because the ending reminded me of all I had hoped for in life. You will see when you read it too, if you decide to - but remember when you feel like.."why am I reading this?"..there is a poignant philosophical point.
So I begin "The Husband's Secret" and hope not to feel bogged down in angst with this read.

Molly Jo | 54 comments think it took me until 4th chapter to really get into this one (understand it?) but liking it now! Happy reading lc! (this one will not bog you down)

message 17: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Starting Chapter 8, still not into it or feeling it is great writing. At least when Dartt was bogging down with teenaged angst in "The Goldfinch" the writing was superb and the phrasing was worthwhile, even causing me to reread certain passages.

message 18: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Suddenly on page 87 of "The Husband's Secret" I find myself hooked and with a hunch. Will it be? Keep turning pages to find out or not. (Deep organ music comes in here and fades...just for fun!)

Clare Smith | 10 comments I'm on chapter 20 and it took my awhile to find the rhythm of this book. Not what I thought at all....but good!

Clare Smith | 10 comments CHAPTER 28! UGH!

Evysmom | 19 comments Done. Can't wait for the spoilers thread. Wow!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

I was going to wait to the end of the week to do the spoiler thread - but I can start it now if you want!

message 23: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Wait one more day? Please?

Evysmom | 19 comments I'll hold it in;)

Annette Abbott | 9 comments Please not yet!!!! I am trying to read as fast as I can!!!!!

Molly Jo | 54 comments not yet, it is getting REALLY good...about half way done. I only have half hr to 45 min at night to read before I zonk off so I am slow.
Need to take it with me in the dsay, but might start reading at red lights and get in trouble LOL

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy (miamyfan) | 2 comments NO spoilers yet please!

Darby | 9 comments Well I only started two days ago. Not very far yet but really getting into it.

Molly Jo | 54 comments finishing it up tonight, would have last night (yes it is that good at end) but totally zonked from too much yard work and sun. This was really a Great pick!

message 30: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Glad you chose this for May. Book. Not my cup of tea, but very interesting moral and ethical dilemmas in this novel.

message 31: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea (leamichelle) | 8 comments Not the usual type of book I would normally pick up but I'm glad I read it! I finished it in 2 nights because I just hd to know how it ended.

Clare Smith | 10 comments Spoiler thread?

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Okay - I'll start the spoiler thread...now. And GO!

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments I've recently finished The Husband's Secret. It was difficult to follow at first. I did figure that the writer would connect all the characters which she did at the end. I'm not sure I would be drawn to this author again, though. Not a bad book - just not a favorite. I think I'll go back and order the other book, the Goldfinch.

Clare Smith | 10 comments There were things that I really liked about this book, and things that I really didn't like. I really like the development of the characters of the three main women. They unraveled, they pulled it all together, and unraveled again, all in their own ways. I really did not like the end. I felt that it was rushed and that there were some loose ends. It almost seemed like the author reached her page limit and was in a hurry to pull off an ending. I don't think that I will read this author again. I enjoyed the book overall.

message 36: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
The Goldfinch is a long book, gets involved in some things about drugs I'd rather skip but are relevant to the storyline. It was a New York Times Best Seller list and it was well written, easy to see why.

message 37: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
My comment was for Amy. Claire's comment was quite astute.

Clare Smith | 10 comments Haha, LC! Sh....I'm an English teacher!

Evysmom | 19 comments I agree with Clare about the rushed ending. I also struggled with a child paying the price of the parent's sin as though karma exacted a punishment dealt to the murderer, granted of far less severity of what he had done.

message 40: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
I certainly agree that it felt as if the children did exact the price of their parents actions. It also felt as if the author rushed to wrap the storyline too. As I stated previously, the novel was not my first choice and I did grant it 3 stars only because the author did manage to keep the braids wrapping then unraveling as the women did, that was quite skillfully managed but not quite finished. The male perpetrator .... That shall wait since it is only May 15. Keep reading.

Molly Jo | 54 comments Amy you are spot on how I feel about this book, The Husband's Secret. "It was difficult to follow at first. I did figure that the writer would connect all the characters which she did at the end. I'm not sure I would be drawn to this author again, though. Not a bad book - just not a favorite."

I also feel the end was a bit rushed, once she hit the little girl it was apparent it was "Karma" or a punishment to get back at them for his bad deeds.

I liked last months book better but glad to have read this one and look forward to the next pick. I am currently reading The Slave Across the Street a true story on human trafficking. WoW!

message 42: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Driehorst | 3 comments I agree with what other have said. It took me a long time to become invested in the storyline(s). By the time I was, it seemed to end abruptly with much more story left to tell. However, there were some good "food for thought" dilemmas throughout. Don't think I would read another of her books.

message 43: by Jan (new)

Jan Aguilar | 3 comments I loved it at the beginning. Then I got a little tired of the repetitive things with Rachel (I know how insensitive that sounds). I did like the epilogue although it too felt rushed. But it made me think about all the things in my life that had one element been changed, how different it would be.

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

I guessed the ending --- after that it did lose steam.I did like how she nailed the details of life. Of busy. I also like how we had Rachel's live versus Cecelia's and how they were drawn to one another.

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

So here's our question: Could you keep your husband's secret??

message 46: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Murder?

Evysmom | 19 comments I'm not sure that I could. Especially that secret and knowing how it affected the mother's life and her suspicion of the wrong person. I know he went on to lead a good life, but knowing he had been capable of that violence and it's aftermath, I just don't know how I could live with it.

message 48: by lc (new) - rated it 2 stars

lc | 79 comments Mod
Evysmom made a real point. While the wife could not testify against her husband, he was ready to talk with police. That was a better model than hiding his murder longer and hurting more people with lies.

Clare Smith | 10 comments I think we all have a little bit of Cecelia in us- how we are perceived by others is important. But how important is it? She was willing to keep the secret to keep her life as usual and the perception of their perfect life alive. I could never imagine being in this situation.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

And is it better for her kids if she tells or doesn't?

« previous 1